Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter StarCrawlers - indie sci-fi dungeon crawling RPG

i want a crawler/blobber with lost of skills, stats, equipment and at least a 6 man party, but not something like disgaea which is made only to be exploited until you explode. i want another wizardry 8. something i can easily download or emulate without problems. suggestions?

V_K

Arcane
i want a crawler/blobber with lost of skills, stats, equipment and at least a 6 man party, but not something like disgaea which is made only to be exploited until you explode. i want another wizardry 8. something i can easily download or emulate without problems. suggestions?
I guess RoA HD is your only hope.

V_K

Arcane
Alvora Tactics I guess, then. Not a blobber, but everything else seems to fit (you'll have to unlock the 5th and 6th party members in-game though).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
These are but some examples. There's no continuing interest or pedigree among Western Devs with respect to the Wizardry style of gameplay, save for amateur efforts like Starcrawlers, which are more reliant on graphics and ironic, stupid humor than gameplay

And for the exception that proves the rule, an amazing underrated gem: Paper Sorcerer
That's because we westerners do not like to play the same game over and over again, unlike glorious Nippon we're not used to that kind of repetition.

I do concede that Wizardry 6 has nothing to do with Wizardry and that Sir-Tech screwed it up, but that's the unfortunate consequence of getting extremely stale.
It's also because us Westerns don't want to deal with weeb fuck animu graphics.

Zetor

Arcane
Apparently, the game didn't want to acknowledge that I'd killed the mission's target because of... some reason, I guess.
I'd appreciate if those who're playing posted here how their game reacted to them killing
the culinary overseer.
I'm pretty sure it's a bug.
It worked fine for me -- probably a bug, yeah.
I assume you didn't fight him while standing on a tile that occasionally got burninated? That sounds like it could cause scripting issues...

bataille

Arcane
Apparently, the game didn't want to acknowledge that I'd killed the mission's target because of... some reason, I guess.
I'd appreciate if those who're playing posted here how their game reacted to them killing
the culinary overseer.
I'm pretty sure it's a bug.
It worked fine for me -- probably a bug, yeah.
I assume you didn't fight him while standing on a tile that occasionally got burninated? That sounds like it could cause scripting issues...

Inded I did. I replayed the mission and it was alright this time. A lesson for future generations.

-----------------------

Also, it seems that even random missions have some interesting bonus encounters with enemies you don't usually meet. Now I want to play these stages just to see what they hold, heh.
Star_Crawlers_x86_2017-05-24_16-30-36-11.jpg

Star_Crawlers_x86_2017-05-24_16-30-45-64.jpg

Star_Crawlers_x86_2017-05-24_22-54-43-40.jpg

Star_Crawlers_x86_2017-05-24_22-54-51-52.jpg

Star_Crawlers_x86_2017-05-24_23-00-34-37.jpg

Too bad I forgot to screenshot a couple more, including the sassy mite...

Renevent

Cipher
These are but some examples. There's no continuing interest or pedigree among Western Devs with respect to the Wizardry style of gameplay, save for amateur efforts like Starcrawlers, which are more reliant on graphics and ironic, stupid humor than gameplay

And for the exception that proves the rule, an amazing underrated gem: Paper Sorcerer
That's because we westerners do not like to play the same game over and over again, unlike glorious Nippon we're not used to that kind of repetition.

I do concede that Wizardry 6 has nothing to do with Wizardry and that Sir-Tech screwed it up, but that's the unfortunate consequence of getting extremely stale.

That is the correct answer. There's probably a few Japanese RPG's I'd enjoy gameplay wise, but fuck it just can't get past the silly weebo shit.

Pyreen

Educated
edit: is it worth it?

It pales in comparison to any Japanese crawler. There's a bit of snarky humor that falls in to the obnoxious category. But for western crawlers it's probably the best since M&MX

Care to give an example?

Wizardry Empire 2 Plus, translated by codexers. Best crawler Ive ever played. Elminage Gothic is probably held in higher esteem around here, but I prefer Empire 2 for various reasons. Both of them are great games that you'll enjoy though.

No anime aesthetic, either.

duanth123

Arcane

Your loss

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
bataille

well, i just solved my biggest gripe about the game folks. *drumroll* having to keep LMB held down on top of an enemy in order to target them and mouse over to the atk/spell/ability you want to use on them.

I decided to make a simple Auto-Hotkey script which, when you press "F1" (this can be changed) it makes LMB toggle-able.

so now you can all play SC without any complaint whatsoever, heh. I'll probably change the "F1" activation key for the script to something already on the actual mouse or whatever, but you can all do that yourselfs i already did all this hard work after all.
;NOTE THE AUTOCLICKER MUST BE OFF FOR THE TOGGLE TO WORK TURNING OFF THE HOTKEY

LButtonFlag := !LButtonFlag ; Turns on the Lbutton flag
Hotkey, ~Lbutton, ClickToggler

ClickToggler:
Toggler := !Toggler ; Toggles the variable
If (Toggler) ; runs when toggler is active
{
Sleep, 200 ; Let the user let up the mouse button
SendInput, {LButton Down} ; Holds the mouse
}
return

F1::
LButtonFlag := !LButtonFlag ;toggles the flag and turns on/off the hotkey
If (!LButtonFlag)
Hotkey, ~Lbutton, Off
else
Hotkey, ~Lbutton, On
return

Esc::ExitApp ; Emergency exit

now you can simply click one on the enemy and it will act as if you were keeping LMB depressed.

AS IT SHOULD'VE BEEN FROM THE BEGGINING. jesus fucking christ.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
OH! I almost forgot!!!

To eveyrbody in this thread who thinks:

1) a blobber is primitive
2) a blobber made by a non-Western dev is less mechanically complex than the "classics" by Western devs
3) a blobber that utilizes similar mechanics from blobber classics of yesteryear, namely Wiz-clones and Dungeon Master-clones is "outdated"

please kill yourselves.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Your loss
9265.jpg

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
OH! I almost forgot!!!

To eveyrbody in this thread who thinks:

1) a blobber is primitive
2) a blobber made by a non-Western dev is less mechanically complex than the "classics" by Western devs
3) a blobber that utilizes similar mechanics from blobber classics of yesteryear, namely Wiz-clones and Dungeon Master-clones is "outdated"

please kill yourselves.

Nice strawman bro.

The problem with Japanese "RPGs" is that the more they deviate from the classic Wizardry formula, the less RPG they become, since while Japanese developers get Wizardry quite well (unlike people like Bradley), they don't give a fuck about role-playing games. Japan will even use the exact same Wizardry mechanics (designed to represent simple dungeon-crawls exclusively) in games with lots of social interaction, environmental puzzles and overworld exploration, because Japan doesn't care.

But most of us do, and this is why we appreciate games like Ultima IV, Fallout or even Morrowind more, not because of their silly C&C, puzzles and "content", but because they deviate from ancient formulas as necessary to represent new environments, both thematically and, most importantly, mechanically.

But this doesn't mean Japan can't make entertaining enough RPGs, their most derivative blobbers can be quite fun since some of the Wizardry genius is still there, but they're just that, derivative.

sser

Arcane
Developer
How is the enemy diversity? This game seems great for $15 but I think robots are boring as fuckkkkkkkk and virtually every trailer just seems to show variations of mindless AI bots.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How is the enemy diversity? This game seems great for $15 but I think robots are boring as fuckkkkkkkk and virtually every trailer just seems to show variations of mindless AI bots.
From what I've seen it is fairly lacking.

Sykar

Arcane
edit: is it worth it?

It pales in comparison to any Japanese crawler. There's a bit of snarky humor that falls in to the obnoxious category. But for western crawlers it's probably the best since M&MX

Care to give an example?

Wizardry Empire 2 Plus, translated by codexers. Best crawler Ive ever played. Elminage Gothic is probably held in higher esteem around here, but I prefer Empire 2 for various reasons. Both of them are great games that you'll enjoy though.

No anime aesthetic, either.

More fantasy games...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far, I like the game.

One thing I find confusing as hell, though: the shields.
I just can't wrap my head around how exactly they work, and there's no tutorial about them and the Codex (in-game wiki) sections about it explain the difference between shield types, but not how shields work in general.

So, if you do damage to a shield, it loses a charge. But only sometimes. And seemingly never on more than one enemy, even if your attack hits multiple ones.
Also, sometimes damage goes through, sometimes not - not sure if this is related to the armor's damage absorption.
When you are hit, however, you can indeed lose more than one shield charge - so it seems shields work differently for you than for enemies.
?????

I can only guess that it works like this:
Each shield charge has kind of an HP pool of its own, which isn't displayed anywhere. Once that is depleted, the shield charge is lost.
A shield can block up to X damage per hit. If something does more damage than that, it goes through. I don't think that number is displayed anywhere (for enemies). But that "maximum blocked damage" is NOT the shield charge's HP for some wicked reason.
The armor's damage absorption may or may not block damage that hits shields. No idea...
You can only collapse the shield of your main attack target (even if you throw a grenade for example). Wtf.

Edit: Someone should probably merge the threads, eh?

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane

So far (12 level party) I've encountered robots, pirates, eldritch monstrosities (yeah), corp personnel, and pests. They are quite varied, with different themes, models, roles, skills, etc. 'Robots' is a wide term, though, since there are bots of a dozen professions, from biped nurses and round, miniscule trash sweepers to security weapon platforms and military-grade colossi. They all seem to have some kind of a tongue in cheek personality that's conveyed through their appearance, so I wouldn't call them mindless, at least not in the boring sense.

And they're pretty consistent in any given dungeon. For example, the first couple of story missions, where you trek through living sectors, you'll encounter mostly different kinds of waiter-, trash-, cop- and medbots; office complexes have securitybots; dilapidated ships have different kinds of space worms, mites and so on. There is no mishmash of enemies, they mostly make appearances where you'd expect them to.

I'd say I've seen at least 30 enemies so far. Plus maybe ten bosses, I think, all of them had unique skins.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I remember there was supposed to be a dungeon crawler Kickstarter game that was supposed to be Gold Box style (FP dungeons, tactical battles) and I have a vague recollection that it's supposed to be this game, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Am I just remembering wrong, or was it a "it was planned but then never accomplished as a Kickstarter goal"?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
meh, i think everyone should enjoy what they want to. i have played literally every single fucking RPG under the sun, since a wee lad, i mean dude... just look at my join date.

and yet my newfound favorite style of RPG comes in turn-based dungeon crawling blobbering. I consider, now, at age 33, that wizardry 1: proving grounds of the mad overlord is a much better desgined RPG than say... well, to pick from your examples: Morrowind.

see, the problem here is that you're conflating liking one thing with disliking another. I very much enjoy the type of R.L. Stein "choose-your-own-death" novels-type approach games like PoE or, to use another of your examples, Fallout, utilize.

you see man, i been here posting about RPGs and arguing with people about which RPG is more RPG than what RPG and the Codex has literally shaped my tastes and my manhood (heh. I went through every single phase the RPG codex has gone through:

- the lament of no RPGs being in development, and endless, ENDLESS reminiscing about Fallout/Arcanum/BG (circa 2003 or so)
- the sudden slow trickle of Morrowind players who found this place by accident and thus, old codex lurkers were exposed to that ilk (i.e. as different as can be from the games I mentioned above which were literlaly the only ones talked about because, frankly, no others were better)

So naturally I read all of the arguments by people like vault dweller and sea and Twinfalls and I started playing everything the codex enjoyed and i had now begin my cee-and-cee phase. that phase lasted quite a while!

you know, i even used to think (during that phase) that those old RPGs that didn't feature all of this amazing stuff like one NPC script being triggered depending on which global values the player "played" through. My god! amazing stuff. But what I didn't realize back then is that the ones I really liked, stuff like ToEE and FO1/2... those games had excellent gameplay mechanics, and those games' CHOICE A/B/C fluff was only there for LARPing.

then I spent like 5 years not playing any RPGs cos I had grown sick of these so-called CandC RPGs. Once you've seen one branching story path, my man, you've seem 'em all.

I discovered now these lil ole games and guess what? their gameplay mechanics are the best out of any RPGs I've ever played as they don't try to do all, hell, i'll admit it myself: they don't try to do much really besides... providing the literal best examples in the RPG over-genre of party building, character advancement, encounter design, itemization and the design of the progressive power curve, the very best spell systems, the most difficult battles, the most satisfying simply put: the best all-around fighting, looting, making an varied party with each member completely unique from the other and each one featuring better character advacement than most new RPGs put together in their entirety.

long story short: I realized I like gameplay now more than a mediocre story with something that does not exist, i.e. the Codex's cee-and-cee. Right now, since you're in this phase yourself, this c-and-c is like some sort of magical game design element that is scorchingly hot and new and unbelievably hard to pull off and any RPG that features even a little bit of it, i.e. gives you a fake choice a, a fake choice b, and a fake choice c, (they're all fake because there is no emergent gameplay to be had in a plot-focused, narrative-driven game like all of the ones that the Codex espouses as "real ones"); but soon enough you will realize that it is...

...something that's been in adventure games since the late 70's. in fact, i have in the past (and would do so again) argued succesfully about how introducing c-and-c does not automatically make a game an RPG, and in point of fact (!), the c-and-c that you seek is not even something that makes an RPG feature good gameplay!

so to finish this up: you feel free to enjoy whatever you want, my man, and so will I. Just remember the age old words of wisdom from myself:

it's always the gameplay that people remember, in the end, everything else is flavor text.

PS. I mean, Wasteland 2 had a lot of c-and-c, and so does TToN. I guess that means they're really really good right?

r00fles!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom