Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Codex Starcraft 1 Tourney, Now Starting

Dayyālu

Arcane
I can come up with a (hopefully) functional and easy to understand ruleset / procedure if you want (you can edit em as you see fit ofc), but I'm not interested in doing the actual organising which would take time.

If you have a better system than my group-direct elimination, go wild.

I may play but I have to check whether it runs smoothly on my computer

It's SC, should be fine. I hope. Maybe. But you are on Euro times, an extra man won't hurt.

I really want to join but I live in sub-disctrict with 500 kbps internet. So :negative:

For easier matchmaking I suggest making a google spreadsheet to organize who are available at what time. Interested parties that want to join can just put their codex ID on their timezones and perhaps their available day.

Well, we can try. If lag is unbearable happens. It's not like you pay for the game! Give it a try, it's free!

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't think I'll be able to join since I can barely even get my Dom4 turns on time. Maybe once classes are over for me.

Johannes

Arcane
If you have a better system than my group-direct elimination, go wild.
Nothing wrong with that part, but that's hardly a complete ruleset you put out.

For the round robin, how do you deal with points draws? Say, everyone in a group of 4 wins twice and loses twice. Who advances? Will just the winner of each squad advance or top 2 (Imo there's little point to groups if only one advances, just do single elim all the way then)? Will the resulting single elimination matches be bo1, 3, 5, or does it vary (more games for finals)? Also maps.

Then everything else - what do you do if some people fail to play their games. If they're not explicitly dropping out but just taking a long time to arrange a time for it. Especially in a group stage it's problematic if somebody plays out some of their games but not all, then drops out, etc. I don't think there's any optimal solution to make people play their games inside a resonable timeframe, but one option could be to make the group stages take place at a given time - group A plays all their games on thursday 19 GMT, B on sunday etc., so if you have a group of 4, then people need to just arrange for one date instead of 3. And when there's more people on at the same time it's just more fun, more of a tourney feel than just a random game.

Rule thoughts:

- Have everyone specify their Race ahead of time, so we know what to prepare for.
- Make it one map for all games. Find some competitive map where history shows races are balanced. Reason: We're all inexperienced and it would be good if map-specific cheese can be minimized as much as possible.
- Have all replays posted for everyone to see and have someone write a quick post-game report on what happened. Reason: Again, mostly to cut down on cheese and equalize the skill gap. I'm sure someone here could spend a few hours mastering cannon rushing or something and win 90% of matches easily, so having some advance notice of what builds people are using is a good safegaurd and should keep things interesting.

janior

Arcane
Patron
- Have everyone specify their Race ahead of time, so we know what to prepare for.
weak
Make it one map for all games. Find some competitive map where history shows races are balanced. Reason: We're all inexperienced and it would be good if map-specific cheese can be minimized as much as possible.
let's just play on fighting spirit
Have all replays posted for everyone to see and have someone write a quick post-game report on what happened. Reason: Again, mostly to cut down on cheese and equalize the skill gap. I'm sure someone here could spend a few hours mastering cannon rushing or something and win 90% of matches easily, so having some advance notice of what builds people are using is a good safegaurd and should keep things interesting.
wishful thinking, nigga

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Ok, on another thought, I'll join. The lag shouldn't be that bad as long as I'm playing against fellow azns.

Now we just need a proper Korean player to run away with all the prize money. Maybe Black Cat will rise from her grave.

Dayyālu

Arcane
TEAM EUROS 2

VladimirK
Johannes
Quatlo
just janior pretty pretty please.

TEAM EUROS 3

Hellraiser
Dayyālu
MediantSamuel
Jazz_

Following Johannes' suggestions, methinks for the first stage we'll go round-robin with the two winners of each group going into direct elimination brackets: if we get draws we can do a single direct elimination match to choose who proceeds.

I was toying with the idea of leaving to the single players the maps, but after some reading it's mightily unwise. After doing some reading and testing, I'd suggest to keep our choice between:

+Fighting Spirit
+Luna
+Python
+Destination

Additional suggestions and critiques are welcome

I will set up private PM convos for each team and a Google doc for team and timing. I still have to think what to do about the inevitable dropping players.

Jazz_

Arcane
So my made in Chinkaland mouse died yesterday, need to buy a new one and I have yet to learn the basics of the game. :M
Anyway, I have two weeks to complete 3 matches with the gentlemen in Team Euros 3, did I get that right?

Jazz_

Arcane
If you need some simmetry for the tournament to go smoothly I drop out of the tournament and you can put Eadee in Team Euros 3, Dayyalu. So you'd have 4 teams of 4 people each. I still have to learn the game + busy period in general for me.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yeah well I beat Cudgel fair and square, I'm coming for you motherfuckers.

And hey Storyfag you fucking piece of shit you've got some nerve rating my post as "decline" ITT what up bro wat fuckin up.

IMA BURY YO ASS and yo not evan in the tourney you fuckin chump.

FAGGOT!!

DAS RITE

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yeah well I beat Cudgel fair and square, I'm coming for you motherfuckers.

And hey Storyfag you fucking piece of shit you've got some nerve rating my post as "decline" ITT what up bro wat fuckin up.

IMA BURY YO ASS and yo not evan in the tourney you fuckin chump.

FAGGOT!!

DAS RITE

Read my sig. That is why I rated your tagging post as decline.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Oh

..............................................................well join up then bro it ain't too late rite :)

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Is this still going on? Half my group appear to be dead and the other groups doesn't seem terribly active either :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom