Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
EB + MOM = not worky since EB got changed to its current version ages ago. Well, "not worky" = not synergistic.

The relatively recent changes to MOM - the added YUGE mana cluster gehind it - actually makes it a very strong and worthwhile survivability booster for life builds as long as you actually invest in your mana pool and mana sustain (heavy regen, or consistent mana leech, or both).

EB is very much meh atm. It's super gimmicky and wonky to build around. Also, ES meta doesn't help things.

ArchAngel

Arcane
EB + MOM = not worky since EB got changed to its current version ages ago. Well, "not worky" = not synergistic.

The relatively recent changes to MOM - the added YUGE mana cluster gehind it - actually makes it a very strong and worthwhile survivability booster for life builds as long as you actually invest in your mana pool and mana sustain (heavy regen, or consistent mana leech, or both).

EB is very much meh atm. It's super gimmicky and wonky to build around. Also, ES meta doesn't help things.
Using MoM means not using lots of auras. Kind of easier to just go CI and use auras :)

T. Reich

Arcane
Bullcrap.
Your overall mana pool with properly-scaled MoM will be well in excess of 2K. And then it should have proper refill mechanics (regen, leech, MANA FLASKS) so as not to be left with no mana (or just go for BM gems or Soul Taker if melee).
So, instead of reserving 85% of your mana you reserve, say, 65%, which means basically giving up a herald.

OMG, HERALD LOST, BUILD LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE.

Quatlo

Arcane
Is mana leech capped the same way life leech is capped or you can just top it with some laughable 0,2% easily with enough damage?

But yeah, MOM is great against these pesky big hits that otherwise would oneshot you.
I still have legacy CoD and remember the good old times.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Lolno. A lot of "game-changing" uniques are actually relatively common drops.
Most expensive uniques are purely dps optimisation (mostly flasks + Shavs + HH) and/or endgame utility optimisation for hyper-optimised builds that start to rely on top-tier rares to push their damage (Skyforth, Acuities).
About the only exceptions I can think off the top of my head are: Abberrath's Hooves (gimmicky and VERY rare), that one golem jewel (purely due to being very rare), plus a couple of upgraded breach uniques (the Chayula sword and the Uul-NEtol shield).

Care to prove me wrong? List the "gamechanging" uniques that I didn't mention, which are worth 1ex+ - say how they are gamechanging.

I'm getting REAL tired of your PoE fanboyism, Reich. I'm not gonna play this game with you every time I have something slightly critical to say. I can't even properly check prices right now, since the Legacy League economy is in bizarro world.

If there were no need for wealth, no one would ever bother, would they? Yet they do, and so do you. I'll tell you one thing: I've long since lost track of the number of times Lazing Dirk messaged me on Steam to say "Hey, [item] would be really cool to use in this build I'm planning"... and about ten seconds later, "lmao" with a link to some poe.trade listing that costs 10-40+ ex at a minimum. We're talking unique shields, jewels, weapons, armor, you name it.

T. Reich

Arcane
Most expensive uniques are purely dps optimisation (mostly flasks + Shavs + HH) and/or endgame utility optimisation for hyper-optimised builds that start to rely on top-tier rares to push their damage (Skyforth, Acuities).
About the only exceptions I can think off the top of my head are: Abberrath's Hooves (gimmicky and VERY rare), that one golem jewel (purely due to being very rare), plus a couple of upgraded breach uniques (the Chayula sword and the Uul-NEtol shield).

Care to prove me wrong? List the "gamechanging" uniques that I didn't mention, which are worth 1ex+ - say how they are gamechanging.

I'm getting REAL tired of your PoE fanboyism, Reich. I'm not gonna play this game with you every time I have something slightly critical to say. I can't even properly check prices right now, since the Legacy League economy is in bizarro world.

If there were no need for wealth, no one would ever bother, would they? And yet, they do, and you do too. I'll tell you one thing: I've long since lost track of the number of times Lazing Dirk messaged me on Steam to say "Hey, [item] would be really cool to use in this build I'm planning"... and about ten seconds later, "lmao" with a link to some unique that costs 20-40+ ex.

http://poe.ninja/
You weren't critical. You were factually wrong. BIG difference.
I care about wealth as long as I need it for my retarded shopping sprees. Then I don't, but it just happens anyway, because it does for everyone who plays the damn game in the first place.

ArchAngel

Arcane

If there were no need for wealth, no one would ever bother, would they? And yet, they do, and you do too. I'll tell you one thing: I've long since lost track of the number of times Lazing Dirk messaged me on Steam to say "Hey, [item] would be really cool to use in this build I'm planning"... and about ten seconds later, "lmao" with a link to some unique that costs 20-40+ ex.

http://poe.ninja/
You weren't critical. You were factually wrong. BIG difference.
I care about wealth as long as I need it for my retarded shopping sprees. Then I don't, but it just happens anyway, because it does for everyone who plays the damn game in the first place.
When I see sites like these I am just reminded how much I don't like that this game is 50% a market simulator and only 50% a loot based ARPG.

T. Reich

Arcane
It ain't a single-player game you're playing here, man.
Also, play SSF if you're so inclined. All the market bullshit is only if you want to say "fuck you" to item drop RNG.
A few of our guildies did so, had a blast.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It ain't a single-player game you're playing here, man.
Also, play SSF if you're so inclined. All the market bullshit is only if you want to say "fuck you" to item drop RNG.
A few of our guildies did so, had a blast.
SSF changes nothing since drops are the same and you got no bigger chance to access rare uniques.

T. Reich

Arcane
Make up your mind - do you want a pure loot-based experience, or not?
None of the 100% loot-based ARPGs had easy access to rare uniques. That's because they're rare.
You want easy access to rare shit? Stop bitching about trading? Don't want trading? Play SSF.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you know about bigger drop rates SSF gives that I missed somewhere you are free to link them. If you don't have that, please retardo yourself.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Make up your mind - do you want a pure loot-based experience, or not?
None of the 100% loot-based ARPGs had easy access to rare uniques. That's because they're rare.
You want easy access to rare shit? Stop bitching about trading? Don't want trading? Play SSF.
By drop alone I would not see 90% of useful uniques, and certainly not those with good stats. There is a difference between D2 where Windforce drops rarely but you can make any good character with good rares as well and you don't need to trade and PoE where even tier 2 uniques are rare and tier 1 uniques require farming of toughest content for who knows how long. Most people that do that probably bought other rare uniques to even be able to farm that content.

If you are seriously claiming trading is not at least 50% of the way item hunting was imagined in PoE by the devs you are either lying or retarded.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That proves nothing except there are 100+ guys that have too much time in their life and like to spend it on pointless grinding in a game designed to get most items through trading. Getting to 100 means shit except one has lots of time on their hands. I know one guy got to 100 just farming Dried Lake lol, you can do that with random rares.

deama

Prophet
Hey guys, I'm kinda confused on how herald's auras work, or at least what other people told me...

Basically, with herald of ash, if you link it with increased item rarity it seems to take effect, the ability has that rune thing pop up and it glows when I hover over it (both of those tell me that it takes into consideration the linked gem), but I don't think it works?

I tried to test this out by linking it with a blind support gem (supposed to have 10% chance to blind target on hit with linked ability) instead of increased item rarity and I went about to test it.

I have a second account, so I logged into two accounts, and started messing around with it.
It doesn't actually seem to work? If I link the blind support to an actual skill and use it, then it sometimes gives a blind effect to the target, but if I put the blind support gem on a herald aura then it doesn't work at all; I went through like 50 hits and it didn't trigger once.

So as far as I can tell, the reason it says it applies to the aura is not the actual hit, but the effects, e.g. with herald of ash, only the burning effect will apply the blind effect with a blind support linked.

But I'm not entirely sure if it works like this, because some other guy told me it works a different way with item rarity/quantity, is that true?

deama

Prophet
So as far as I can tell, the reason it says it applies to the aura is not the actual hit, but the effects, e.g. with herald of ash, only the burning effect will apply the blind effect with a blind support linked.

But I'm not entirely sure if it works like this, because some other guy told me it works a different way with item rarity/quantity, is that true?

you need to pick different herald, you wont get those special effects with added burning dmg.
This is why people link on hit effects(like curse for example) with ice or thunder herald.

I tried linking blind support with herald of thunder and/or cold, but it didn't work, so I have to link it with an on-hit effect gem on top?

EDIT: I just applied a curse on hit linked with punishement linked with herald of cold, it doesn't work...?

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
I tried linking blind support with herald of thunder and/or cold, but it didn't work, so I have to link it with an on-hit effect gem on top?

EDIT: I just applied a curse on hit linked with punishement linked with herald of cold, it doesn't work...?

are you sure that you are testing those special herald effects? It is not applied to regular axe swing.
For ice herald its applied when you shatter an enemy. At that moment enemies hit by shatter will be cursed.
For thunder IF you kill shocked enemy you get that lightning effect hitting enemies around you randomly. That one can apply curse.
Ohh, I see...

Jason Liang

Arcane
I have resorted to picking up white rings and amulets to sell for scroll fragments, so bankrupt of wisdom I am these days.

I like the economic aspect of PoE. Including the much more plastic crafting system, it's what has allowed this game to separate itself from Diablo.

My witch is just facemelting things with her golem crew these days. I have five golems- one base, two from anima stone, one from Clay Shaper. I am the fifth golem- I am a Blade Golem.

Uniques are for the most part dirt cheap compared to the really expensive things. Besides the ones that we all know about- Headhunter, Skyforth, Tokahama. Void Battery, etc... most everything else is undervalued compared to how powerful they are. And some uniques which are some of the most powerful equipment of their type are ridiculously cheap (< 20 c) if bought without modifications or bricked: Alpha's Howl, Prism Guardian, Rise of the Phoenix, Brinerot Whalers, Shaper's Touch, Drillneck, Soul Strike, all the awesome unique bows, all of the awesome belts besides HH, Clayshaper, Varunastra, Whispering Ice, HoWA, Scourge etc... Even Shav's is absurdly undervalued for how loaded it is: I just bought a 6S Shav for 3.5 ex, and bricked 6L Shavs sell for 5 ex and I've even seen them for 4 ex.

Once you start trading, anything less than 2 ex is not expensive.

I will post a detailed accounting, but this is a summary of my current gear and their market value, and I'm pretty close to being done gearing.

Main hand: Clayshaper corrupted with Added Fire Damage implicit: 5c
Off hand: Prism Guardian corrupted with Grace implicit: 10 c
Head: Alpha's Howl corrupted with Wrath implicit: 5 c
Chest: 6S The Convenant: 5 c
6S Shavronne's Wrappings (non-corrupted): 3.5 ex
6L bricked Skin of the Loyal: 30 c (bought it uncorrupted for 35 c, didn't get +1)
Gloves: Hrimsorrow: 1 alc (Fated prophecy is only 1 c)
Boots: Wondertrap: 1 alc
Belt: Ascent from Flesh corrupted with +1 Endurance charge: 1 ex (I vaaled it myself. Uncorrupted is 5c)
Amulet: Xoph's Blood corrupted with Clarity 4: 155 c (expensive but I wanted to try out AoF before committing to it)
Rare Black Maw Talisman with insane defenses: 3 c
L Ring: Essence crafted Unset Ring for Strength: 1c?
R Ring: Essence crafted Unseet Ring for Strength: 1 c?
Jewels:
1 Anima Stone: 240 c
1 Primordial Might: 200 c
1 Primordial Harmony: 20 c
1 Primordial Eminence: 1 c
3 Intuitive Leap: 20 c each
Flasks:
2 Coruscating Elixir, 3 c each
Total, not including Shav and +1 Ascent from Flesh: ~760 c/ 8 ex
Complete total: ~12.5 ex

The only things I'm looking for now are a +1 5L or 6L Covenant (10 ex), 6L Shav with Purity of Lightning (6 ex), Brinerot Whalers or Sin Trek corrupted with Haste (50 c/ 5 c) and maybe Shaper's Touch (5c) and a premium Alpha's Howl (probably ~ 2 ex). I'll eventually craft some endgame weapons with Essence of Insanity (20 c each), one a sceptre with Blood Magic suffix (1 div). In the meantime I'll use my Scourge corrupted with Melee Splash (15 c).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been nearly 3 years since I touched this game.

I almost swear, I could understand you guys at some point.

How's melee holding up anyway?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom