Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Killers and Thieves, a thieves guild simulator from the creative director of Banner Saga

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.killersandthieves.com/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...director-reveals-new-game-killers-and-thieves

Banner Saga creative director reveals new game Killers and Thieves
He's still at Stoic, all is well.

Banner Saga creative director Alex Thomas has broken off from Banner Saga 2 in order to make his own game Killers and Thieves, which sounds ace.

Thomas is still at small developer Stoic, and Banner Saga 2 is still in development - all appears to be good in the hood.

jpg

The tale Thomas tells is that after Banner Saga wrapped in January 2014, the three-person team at Stoic (they used contractors but kept the core team small) refreshed their creative juices by trying out new ideas for games.

Thomas' idea stuck. It went from being a Mike Mignola (Hellboy) and Pwn Stars-inspired flogging-stolen-goods game called Fence, to being a thieving game called Stolen.

Around this time Stoic decided Thomas should split off to continue work on the game. Refinements later, it became what it is now, Killers and Thieves.

"Don't worry," he wrote in a FAQ on the Killers and Thieves website, talking of Banner Saga 2, "it's in good hands. I'm heading up Killers and Thieves while other devs continue working on The Banner Saga sequels. Pretty standard game dev stuff."

jpg

Killers and Thieves is another lovely looking single-player PC game and it's due in 2016. The website describes it best:

"In Killers and Thieves [you] control a feudal thieves' guild, preying on the riches of an old and corrupt city.

"Recruit randomly generated thugs and crooks and turn them into master thieves and skilled assassins with unique abilities, traits and appearances.

"Pull off heists on procedural city blocks. Control multiple thieves in real-time and gather as much loot as you can.

"Just don't overplay your hand. Capture leads to prison time, or death. And death in these parts is permanent."

You'll have to manage upkeep for your thieves guild (think XCOM HQ) and everything has a cost. Fall behind with payments and you'll lose property and personnel, and if you become too weak your enemies will pounce. It's a tricky tightrope of risk versus reward.

jpg

Meanwhile, The Banner Saga 2 continues development for a multiplatform PC, PS4 and Xbox One release this year. The original plan was for a trilogy, and that's still the case.

The Banner Saga is a beautiful and tactical Viking adventure, a chess game crossed with a Choose Your Own Adventure game crossed with a role-playing game. It's got a wonderfully ponderous pace. We recommend it.

It's also due to come out on PS4 - the first game, that is - at some point this year.

himmy

Arcane
So basically The Guild meets Mark of the Ninja? I'm sold!

Also, reading the gameplay description makes me think of the PoE stronghold.

ColCol

Arcane
:necro:

I'm not posting anything specific. Just commenting that this game still exists and there are updates on the devlog.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Solo project from one of the Banner Saga devs. Just released, without Early Access or anything:

Take the city then take your revenge in Killers and Thieves, the guildmaster adventure from the co-creator of the Banner Saga series.
banner_about.png

You are the unseen master of a thieves’ guild in the medieval city of Greypool, taking ragged street rats and forging them into master criminals.

gif_intro.jpg

Assemble and train a team of unique burglars, thieves and cutthroats then send them on daring heists across a sprawling city. Select your team carefully - do you want the agile catburglar, the master lockpicker, or the deadly cutthroat? You can’t always take everyone you need, and the city is full of surprises that will force you to redraw your carefully-laid plans at a moment’s notice.

You decide the degree of risk: you could play it safe, but great riches await those bold enough to chase them—but then, so does the hangman’s noose.

banner_features.png

• You are the guildmaster. Send your ragged crew out on daring heists to stake out targets, steal precious things, and even perform assassinations.
  • Think on your feet. Meticulously-planned operations may fall into chaos as surprising emergent events come together in new and unexpected ways.

• gif_heist.jpg

• Play your way. Follow a compelling series of story-driven missions, and employ your own initiative to identify high-value targets in a living open world.
  • Keep the gold flowing. Wages must be paid, so make sure the money keeps rolling in. If the coffers are empty when payday comes, there could be trouble.
  • Manage your thieves. Recruit worthless street rats and forge them into master criminals, but remember the risks: even your best might not come home again.

• gif_barracks.jpg

• An ugly world made beautiful. The sprawling city of Greypool and its seedy residents are brought to life with stunning art and animation inspired by medieval artworks.
  • An acclaimed team. Killers and Thieves was created by Alex Thomas, co-creator of the acclaimed Banner Saga series, and a team of award-winning industry professionals.
banner_team.png

Killers and Thieves is the creation of Alex Thomas, co-founder of Stoic and Creative Director on The Banner Saga. He created this thieving adventure as an independent project, and it is being published by the Stoic team. Inspired by the question “What if you ran an entire thieves guild?” Alex has collaborated with a team of talented industry professionals to breathe life into a cruel, dangerous world.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Heh, that action platformer gameplay brings to mind old mobile Thief game.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Normally I would prefer Let's play styled video over these edited summary things, but there were none available.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Looks good, but from the trailer and video, I cannot discern if it's combat or stealth heavy. There seems to be a lot of fighting going on.

hivemind

concept looks cool

inb4 game fails because of no marketing because off no kikescammer or early access

hivemind

all of the neg reviews are about uninotuitive controls

fucking brainlets man

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like medieval Gunpoint which is a good thing since Gunpoint was great. Most complains look like whining of people who cant put effort into understanding the mechanics of the game.

Gonna wait for some more opinions but I just might get this.

For those who havent played Gunpoint I really recommend it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The gameplay seems a lot like This War Of Mine which I'm not sure if it's a good thing, since TWOM had a lot of good things but the looting/combat gameplay was not the best

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's disappointing that you apparently can't control the game while it's paused. It looks like it'd be hard for me to control four people without pausing it.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/382330/discussions/0/1290691308567564958/

Serpent of Eden 8 hours ago
Can't give orders while paused?
The reviews say this is real time with pause but you can't give orders when paused.
From what i saw in the trailer, this is incredibly fast paced.
Why can't we give orders when paused?

I mean, the game itself seem awesome.

Harle
iconGames.png
1 hour ago
You can give action orders while paused, but move orders don't work for some reason. Which is a shame because yeah the pace is really fast imo.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Read a number of the Steam reviews. TLDR: "Not yet."

Lots of complaints about the poor UI, bad and nonconfigurable keybinds, and general lack of feedback (if I post a thief there, will he do a quick mission or be stuck there on recon for 3 days? You have no control over this.) Everything points to this being a one-man project, which would be fine, but apparently there was little to no playtesting with other people. It's a game that makes sense to him and that's it. The issue isn't that the game is too hard or challenging, but that the game and the player simply have a hard time talking to each other.

The dev has semi-copy-pasted responses to a lot of the reviews saying he's going to revamp the UI and so forth. Looking forward to updates.

Visperas

Augur
The eye and the number ticking down to simulate stealth doesn't look appealing to me. This idea with Mark of the Ninja gameplay would be great.

ColCol

Arcane
I was under the impression this was turnbased, I'm still interested, but not as much now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom