Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mordheim - turn-based tactics in the Warhammer universe

Seethe

Arbiter
This game is super underrated

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
This game is super underrated
I'd say so. There are some annoyances, so I can understand why many people overlook it, but when it's on, it's immensely satisfying.

EDIT: So, is there any good reason they didn't decide to break the city into districts with harder fights/better loot for the worst affected? I'm not super bothered by the scaling fights, but I think not including a better sense of progression was a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

Not including strategic view and ability to choose deployment spot via overhead view are true missed opportunities.

Grif

Learned
Been playing this. Having fun in spite of the godawful consolitis, which really drives home how good the base game is. I'll echo the sentiment that not being able to choose deployment overhead was fucking retarded and I hope somebody over there realises this.

k0syak

Cipher
Not including strategic view and ability to choose deployment spot via overhead view are true missed opportunities.

Been playing this. Having fun in spite of the godawful consolitis, which really drives home how good the base game is. I'll echo the sentiment that not being able to choose deployment overhead was fucking retarded and I hope somebody over there realises this.

Real men use auto deployment only!

Jinn

Arcane
Been playing this again recently, building up a warband to take on my brother and a few of our friends. Man, it really is such a great flawed gem. If they had expanded on the core campaign play a little more and created a better platform for a multiplayer community to form, they could have had a game people would still be playing regularly years from now.

If anyone has ever been on the fence about this one, I'd highly recommend grabbing it at least when it's got a nice discount going on. I look forward to seeing what this team does with their next game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gave this game another try, since they patched the most glaring issues out after I stopped last time (you can speed up AI movement and initial funds no longer force you to play absurdly defensive).

With those things out of the way, it is enjoyable.
However, I just don't have such a hard-on for the combat that I can spend a lot of time with it.
It's just always the same, and I don't even find so much difference in the factions. The largest difference is probably the spellcasters, but you use those only rarely anyway (meaning you probably just have 1 or 2 with you). All other units differ in their stats from warband to warband, but not really in how you play them.

Feels a bit like an RTS where all factions are just more or less reskins.
But you can hardly blame the devs for that, of course.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Skavens definetely played a lot different than the other factions, that's what I can say for sure. Chaos somewhat too. The others were similar-ish indeed.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Tried this shit. Inexcusable UI and speed of play.

There is exactly one way to successfully play this game:
Ultra defensive, advancing ultra slow

Nope.

Most of your criticism can just be deflected with a single "l2p" comment, except for the missions where you start spread out, cuz those really can be a lethal coin toss, particularly the ones where teams are scattered randomly around an area - the ones where you start split into 3 groups are easy to manage in terms of survival. Still, taking them every now and again serves as a fun enough change in variety if you can handle the risk.

The game is largely the same as Blood Bowl. At first it seems completely unforgiving and frustrating, but then you learn the ropes better and start properly managing the risk, which leads to having fun and knowing what you're doing. I remember I had to scrap my first Skaven warband after entering a downward spiral of losing initially because I had little idea of how everything worked. But then on 2nd try I was much more successful. Perhaps it didn't bother me that much, because that was exactly how I started in BB too. It was even a Skaven team in BB as well.
Damb Roxsuck fanboyizm.
Battle Brothers is grind -Darth Roxor
Mordheim is fucking worse! -Anyonewithabrian

mwnn85

Savant
Quite liking this.
There's a sea of sub-par Warhammer games out there so at first I thought it must a real time clusterf**k like Vermintide (aka the L4D knockoff)
Then I thought it must be multiplayer only with no single player focus.
Couldn't be more wrong.
Turns out it's essentially Blood Bowl.
Instead of american football (which isn't my cup of tea) - it has the brilliant premise of collecting Wyrdstone in doomed city filled with rival guilds, other nasties, lunatics & traps.

The only issue I have with the game are the stupid deployment markers.
When you use A & D to change location it warps you all over the place.
It's as if some intern just placed the numbered markers around at random.
I don't know why they didn't use box/area/free deployment - I'm sure Unity can do this.
People blame the engine but I blame the developer.

The DLC's are overpriced even at 33% off - especially the hero ones.
The base game is well worth it at 75% off.
Having a blast shooting stuff with Hunting Rifles as the Reiklanders.
I wouldn't say that the factions are any less distinct than they are in Blood Bowl.

An extra option of playing with a more faithful adoption of the old tabletop rules might have been quite interesting.
Maybe we'll get that in a sequel.
I watched a few tabletop games of Mordheim - I think you have to roll a 5 or 6 to kill; anything less seemed to be a stun/knockdown.
I know Blood Bowl Chaos Edition has a "classic mode"

If they can refine the formula for Necromunda: Underhive Wars we could have real treat on our hands.
I'm not a tabletop player or model painter but I've enjoyed watching several WH40K 8th edition battles that I've seen on Youtube.
I like the four combat phases and the general pace of the game.
Makes you realise how different the game adaptions like Sanctus Reach really are.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The only issue I have with the game are the stupid deployment markers.
When you use A & D to change location it warps you all over the place.
It's as if some intern just placed the numbered markers around at random.
I don't know why they didn't use box/area/free deployment - I'm sure Unity can do this.
People blame the engine but I blame the developer.

Because console release.

hivemind

biggest problem with game is long loadings(I have a shit PC) and singleplayer(I pirated it) being too easy, like can't lose a mission once you learn the basics easy

long loadings ... I pirated it

These two things are related I suspect. Still, even in Early Access the game was always rock solid stable for me so I just alt tabbed out and did something else while a mission loaded. In fact the game continues running in the background, so it's possible to shitpost on the Codex while the AI plodding through its moves. In contrast, if I try alt tabbing AAA big bucks Total Warhammer when it's loading a battle I'll likely end up having to reboot.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I love Mordheim! The AI is brain-dead, one of the worst I've ever seen. Unable to use impressives and to pathfind through elevation changes. That said, it is super aggressive, and since each crit can potentially have long term consequences, keeping your warband alive and hearty is what makes this game difficult. Actually losing due to missing shipment deadlines is impossible though...

Also, the grind is real. After levelling 3 w.b. and unlocking other band's henchmen and heroes through secondary factions, I'd love to be able to skip all that wyrdstone collecting for my next one.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
There is a sale at the moment which makes all DLCs cost about 18 euros in total. Should I? :philosoraptor:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
If you already got the base game, go for it. Mercenaries add some fun teambuilding options, especially when you still haven't got access to other warbands soldiers. E.g. the sisters play nice with a smuggler for a bit of range, gasrat is loved for his healing, buffs and damage by many warbands etc...

Both Undeads and Witch Hunters are fun to play, and can be built up in a lot of different ways (Tankpire is truth, tankpire is Love) but if you aren't interested in playing them you can skip them, you'll still find them as adversaries iirc.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Good, sounds exactly like what I was expecting. Add to all these that I can't stand NOT having available content.... I will get the DLCs. The time for some more Mordheim has finally arrived :)

Zeriel

Arcane
Came back to this game again and was reminded how much I enjoy it. It's just such a huge shame they abandonded support for it in order to create a failure of a game, and will never produce a sequel. Kind of reminds me of the MMXL debacle.

Andnjord

Arcane

Hoc ludum.

necromunda-underhive-wars-cover.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom