Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
there's no skilldex - instead, if you can use a skill on the object, the GUI (which is clunky and horrible) will offer you to do it. Which takes most of potential thinking out of the game

First of all, thank you for posting all that.
I could live with everything else you highlighted, i'd even enjoy it if the combat really but really felt Fallout-ish.

But skill auto-choosing.. that tells me a lot. And if i combine it with other similar hints in regard to their mentality about new/old, which i do? Maybe some of you guys were right and i was way too optimistic.

What the fuck must i do to get me a Fallout 3 before i die ffs? I mean Jeesus.. :(

Well, it's not really auto-choosing. You just get to pick from a smaller number than all of your skills. Same goes for dialogue variants. You can use VARIOUS skills, but only those that are available for picking at the moment. We don't go full skilldex, but we don't oversimplify our stuff either! :)

On common themes: Some scholars actually say that all of the stories and legends of the world can be distilled down to a one common proto-myth. Others say that there are only 8 kinds of stories in the world, and the difference is only in the details. We in the ATOM TEAM believe both of these things, that is why we attribute all things common with the Fallout / Wasteland franchises to pure coincidence. Okay, not really. But hey, our Shady Sands has more endings, and our Khans are like 10 times more deeper-er, maan (no disrespect to Garl Death-Hand, but our Garl has so much more personality, it's sickening!).
So we decided to drop all pretense to originality... just because... reasons.

On locations: well, everyone and their uncle hate sewer levels and grinding on rats in a dungeon setting. But... like... it's just how life is. You know what I mean. Every game has this. And even when you start off by saying "there won't be no derelict vault that's full of rats, big trade city nearby with caravans going on, etc. IN MY INDIE TITLE" it just appears anyway, for some reason. And nobody knows why... Maybe it's for the better this way. Sure, you can put mutated green muscle men into your vault instead of rats, but you might just come off like a poser if you do that!
Because putting mutated green muscle man is the only possible alternative. So much creativity...
And no life is not like this and even if... this is a game. No need to make it boring on purpose.

The full Skilldex was actually a topic for a huge discussion we had. A simpler, more intuitive model won. But there was much talk beforehand.
The not so SPECIAL is also in the works. Lots of formulas work quite differently already, and we're tweaking it all the time, all the while looking at player feedback. The combat isn't really original. But some love it this way. There is going to be a stretch goal dedicated to slight improvements, though. Gonna update ya'll soon!
I'm happy there was so much talk before you decided to went with decline. It makes it sooooo much better this way.
Combat. Some love it that way no doubt. Some people like blood sausage... people are morons !

People are great! Just too please em' as much as we can, since the last update we are working on combat 24/7 :) Onto other things - what I meant to say was you can't completely escape familiar situations like low-tier enemies being some type of vermin, and dungeons looking a bit similar to other dungeons, without looking too artsy. There's quite a lot of creativity going on where the game allows us :D It's almost... post-modern at some points.

Also, let's talk about AWE. We don't mind it, when we get some :) But we don't really expect it from anyone or state that people should feel it when looking at our stuff (especially with it's current English). As a Slavic indie dev team praying for the Kickstarter moneys, we're aiming a bit lower - our goal isn't awe from the masses, it's slight-to-moderate enjoyment and general good vibes from the good people that always wanted to play a game like this and they would have done it too, if it weren't for that meddling VanBuren getting the AX. Indie guys that aim for more / guys that expect more from indie guys are not too compatible with reality, IMO.

Now to end this verbose word salad on the mention of fanfics: we don't mind the comparison, actually. It just means that ГОСПОДИН ЗНАЕТ ТОЛК В ГОДНЫХ ФАНФИКАХ! :----)

You do know that you're talking to the Nerd Commando himself, right? :) He's done a review of your demo on his channel.
WELL NOW I KNOW! :D I actually checked out the video long before replying to the guy here (whilst not knowing he WAS the guy). We always check out vids on our game. It was critical sure, but entertaining and fair, just like the comment.

Played the demo a bit, can't say I've enjoyed it too much. The only decent thing is the writing and even so, it's fanfic-tier. Not to mention that the game will never be translated well simply because it can't be translated well - it's the same case as with the Space Rangers or Planet Alcatraz. The text heavily relies on understanding the patterns of the soviet lingo (and it'll take a high-grade linguist to actually transmute that into english, at the very least; it's hard to explain, but it's like normal english and sigil speech - the texts in the game should have the same feel of strange language) and on the knowledge of soviet culture. Considering that USSR had no Hollywood (its cinematograph is great, but there's no global cultural pressure - the world knows who the hell Kirk and Spock are, but not of, say, Zheglov and Sharapov), there's already too much stuff in the game that the foreign player will never understand.

And most of the stuff in the game is a fucking reference (at this point). Most of the portraits are paintover soviet or post-soviet actors. Lots of the dialogues some either pop-culture or soviet-culture relation. And then there's just, you know, not trying to hard and just recreating the stuff from fallout 1 - small village that's oppressed by the raiders, said raiders which you can join, derelict vault that's full of rats, big trade city nearby with caravans going on, etc. The not-special system which is literal special expy. The combat which recreates the same "punch&run" tactic with early melee enemies and the same "bandits on the path to vault city" feelings. And while both are nostalgic, they're also both kinda bullshit.

Also, there are some serious cases of decline here. For example, there's no skilldex - instead, if you can use a skill on the object, the GUI (which is clunky and horrible) will offer you to do it. Which takes most of potential thinking out of the game. After the brilliant skilldex usage in Nevada, this approach looks amateurish. There are also various survivalist mechanics which are loved by the FOnline fans and which are also total crap. The RPG system doesn't bother to explain itself as well as the original did (like, you know, conveniently stating the formulas for all the skills). And, at the moment, it's just literal copying & pasting from the fallouts. No signs of trying to improve upon the formula.

So I dunno what I'm supposed to feel awed about.

I still don't know what Cheeki Breeki means and yet I love Stalker, even Clear Sky despite its many many shortcomings.

med_1473915323_image.jpg

News travel fast, it seems! Such a great reader, this man. Liked it with all of my shitposting accounts!

Looks pretty good actually for an alpha version.
First advice, slightly change the UI so it mirrors the tone of the game. Your game takes place in a post apocalyptic world, I think it would enhance the atmosphere if the UI went from squeaky clean to weathered/worn.

The thing about the UI that won't change is the size and the bulk. We love it bulky and clumsy. But weathering is one of the ideas we're running right now! So who knows... Thanks! :)

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Okay guys, maybe you won't find this next thing relevant, but I'll curse myself forever, if I won't brag about it!

BRIAN FARGO twitted about us! And I even have the proof of it right here!

rHYe82A.png

This is not a SELLING POINT or something like that, lol, those of you who wanted to back us already did it back during week one, it's just like... Hey... Check this out! BRIAN FARGO backed our stuff!!
The "Brian Fargo presents..." Brian Fargo! The Far Go Traders Brian Fargo! I played the game he sort of directed back when I was a child! Literally, a 12 year old child! And now he's backing the game I'm making! It's full circle right here, people! It's like... Magical, dudes. Just wanted to share this thing before going into a fallout-themed coma! Brian Fargo, you guys!

BRIAN FARGO

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
We need a fanboy picture as a post reaction.
I'd wear it proudly, like that V13 jumpsuit!

IN OTHER NEWs - A NEW UPDATE!

New look for the NPCs

f6eeedc161ed8380e5ce573a655cf06b_original.png

Hey guys!
Another cosmetic update for you this week! Tired of everyone having the same hairstyle?

ea9f99c0d952c288cc2c70efd048abb7_original.png

Well, soon you won't have to think about it anymore! With things as they are, we can finally allow ourselves to spare some time on important details like beards, mustaches and buzz-cuts for the tough soviet working class men, and the most exquisite post-apocalyptic hairstyle fashions for the lovely ladies!

affa31d856e5f3903358b08f63b929c1_original.png

Every NPC gets a free make-over once this update hits! Even the random encounter people like raiders and bandits won't be forgotten - as they will now get random features! ATOM RPG: Flowing free like the facial hair of a road side vagabond!

422823011111d639bc79d1ef6c4cf937_original.png

In other other news - we just blew up on Kickstarter. A week to go, but thanks to an awesome letsplayer and the hype train he caused, we're already nearly done! Maybe we'll have that female protagonist yet...

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It actually looks a bit more like a Slavland 2 :P
I don't mind that though.
Maybe I missed this, but will we be able to get companions or are we bound to travel alone during the whole game?

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Congratulations. Funding achieved.

:excellent:
Congratulations Atomboy , please make it good, the pressure of making a decent Slavout rests upon your shoulders heavily now!
Congratulations! But I agree, this needs to be good!
If it ends up being decent, I'm blaming Obsidian for not backing it :hero:

Thanks you guys! That's not all, though! Tonight we also reached our first Stretch goal!
So now you won't just get the game! You'll also get an optional Datcha! Just like Stalin had in the olden days! We're gonna make this thing great, trust me. We had plans to make it pretty awesome with zero funding, but now, when we can finally work on the game full time and not just during nights and weekends, it's gonna be doubly amazing! It makes my heart tremble when I think of how much stuff we can now do.

Speaking of which...

It actually looks a bit more like a Slavland 2 :P
I don't mind that though.
Maybe I missed this, but will we be able to get companions or are we bound to travel alone during the whole game?

Well now you will :) Before we got funded so generously we kinda scrapped the idea, but now we are almost, almost sure there will be up to 4 companions. At least 2. Fallout 2 style which means AI driven, but you can mess with the inventory and battle strategy.
Codex-exclusive spoiler: One of the guys is already in the game. They call him Alexander. He is a fellow ATOM cadet you may meet at the Otradnoye Pub. He is a Chaotic Neutral (leaning towards Evil) Bodybuilder proficient in Melee and Hand to hand. Despite his bulk and his macho attire, he is pretty cowardly and will betray you several times. His worst fear is to be called a homosexual. He thinks he is from a country called Georgia, but is actually Russian. He also tells people he is a Spetsnaz operative that fought in the Soviet-Afghani War even though he wasn't even born in the time these things existed. You'll probably get to recruit him by completing a quest in the next version.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
almost sure there will be up to 4 companions. At least 2. Fallout 2 style which means AI driven, but you can mess with the inventory and battle strategy.
My wish for the next stretch goal would be full control over companions in combat.

I also like the leadership skill in Wasteland 2 and would gladly see something similar.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked the AI driven companions in the original FOs and I'm really glad they will be like this here too.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Are you guys planning on adding unique portraits for every NPC that uses a portrait? One of the things that bothered me the most in Wasteland 2 was that portraits were very generic, and I would have preferred no portraits at all (or better, portraits for very important NPCs only).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atomrpg/atom-rpg/posts/1897304
New stretch goal and Chernobyl Tour - Fall 2017

Hey guys!
You made the crafting system possible! Thanks to you ATOM is shaping to become something much bigger than we originally imagined! And that's not the end... Far from it!

A lot of you told us that we should make a PayPal or a Patreon account, and even though we are still contemplating this idea, maybe it's the way to achieve the rest of our goals!..

Because of that and because we actually have a couple of interesting ideas under our collective sleeve we decided to make another stretch goal for $40,000.

f300f0a5c53a3322a404586107688991_original.jpg

So, what will it include:

Another Large city - vast location to the East with about +50 new quests, up to +100 NPCs and activities!

New branches in the main quest that will lead you to some of the darkest and gritiest corners of the Wastes!

New weapons, armours, items...

All in all, a complete enhancement of the game and at least +20 hours of gameplay!

So that's that, and now to something completely different! :)

Chernobyl tour
Hey Stalkers! We made a little video for you to showcase our top tier Chernobyl tour!

*English subtitles included

Chernobyl is one the most famous monuments to the glory and dangers of Human progress. After the catastrophe in 1986 this once industrial peace of land is now consumed by nature and gives shivers to anybody who's ever been there!

And if you follow the suggested route and the guides' directions, your visit to the Chernobyl zone will be absolutely radiation-safe. In fact, it will have less radiation than a typical doctor examination!

So guys, anybody who is interested in visiting this awe-inspiring place, please consider our General Secretary pledge! To meet up and maybe drink a couple of "Kozak" vodka shots in the Zone :)

Though, keep in mind that the trip will be available only after September since before that we will focus on delivering the Early access for you guys!

Thank you again! And stay safe!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
My dudes! It's going really nice! We're at almost 28k as I'm typing this, and the thing is almost over, so there will be a ton of things to do in just a few days! Almost double the goal sum. That's just... wow! Now words! But now - the answers!

almost sure there will be up to 4 companions. At least 2. Fallout 2 style which means AI driven, but you can mess with the inventory and battle strategy.
My wish for the next stretch goal would be full control over companions in combat.

I also like the leadership skill in Wasteland 2 and would gladly see something similar.

We're hanging on to this option for now - if after the implementation of the cover system the AI turns out too silly for the tastes of our testers (which are also us) we'll probably add in manual control. Although seeing how one of our guys already worked on AIs in turn-based games, it's probably going to be just fine! Even without manual, there will be plenty of behavior options to tinker with.

As for the stretch goals - we don't really believe we'll even reach 30K, and making a patreon / paypal for additional donations is a topic for a whole new team discussion. While many beloved games like say Grimoire constantly ask for additional funds to reach completion, many of us think that by making a Patreon we'll look dishonest. Maybe in Autumn, after we show off the early access build with all the new stuff and many large locations already implemented.
Are you guys planning on adding unique portraits for every NPC that uses a portrait? One of the things that bothered me the most in Wasteland 2 was that portraits were very generic, and I would have preferred no portraits at all (or better, portraits for very important NPCs only).
One of our major points is to make every NPC have a unique portrait and a unique dialogue with at least 3 options (plus the line he or she says when you leave the dialogue). Currently we don't have a single generic NPC, and we'll keep it up even when there's gonna be 300+ of them!

Atomboii out!!!
It's gonna be glorious, people!

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
30K passed. if tje femc is relly different, that just double the game's replayability
Yeah I'm really glad thay hit that goal!

They've also hit 1000+ backers so we'll get that unique weapon:
4bec3e2f89fca1844c8cfae14bd03602_original.jpg

31 hours to go, I doubt they'll reach the next goal. Might be for the best though since we know from other kickstarters that adding a new big town as stretch goal is not the best. But would be nice with the extended scope.

f300f0a5c53a3322a404586107688991_original.jpg

Last edited:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
ATOM said:
FEMALE PROTAGONIST, NEW WEAPON AND THE CHOSEN ONE

d675d45dce290daf5659215f85056ea8_original.jpg

Hey guys!
Thanks to you ATOM now have a female protagonist! Men and women both have an equal chance to try their luck in the wild and beautiful Wastes!

Both will face danger and challenges! Sometimes the same and sometimes quite different!..

Now you will have even more freedom to role-play as your preferred character! And that freedom is essential to a good RPG!

1000 backers special weapon
ca7ba6d3e9948c850ce4afcb73dd329b_original.png

AS Val - Work in progress
Meet AS Val a Soviet-designed assault rifle! Since 1987, it was added to the arsenal of the Red Army and the KGB, and is still in use to this day!

But in the world of ATOM, where the Apocalypse destroyed the previous world in the 1986, AS Val is a real rarity!

It's considered an experimental weapon of the highets quality! Weapon that the dwellers of the Wastes would give an eye for!

The Chosen skin
61beaef05e1e3546ba9deb37b734c687_original.jpg

The Chosen render - Work in progress
The Chosen along side the Ranger is a part of our special, Kickstarter only, bundle!

Sporting a worm woolen overcoat equipped with durable plastic shoulder plates, and wearing a special kind of gas mask (*as an item) this guy or girl is always prepared to meet the hazardous side of the Wastes head on!

Special trait
Hand-picked for greatness from the first days of his or her life, the Chosen was always a minor center of attention in ATOM. The Wastes will become the final test for the Chosen...

Was everyone back in ATOM right in putting all their hopes and dreams into this one kadet? Or did they choose wrongly?..

Either way, you can expect your character to be a special kind of person - sometimes spouting bits of pure wisdom or specialist lingo in dialogues and getting unique reactions from the inhabitants of the world.

Special items
The Chosen will set out into the Wastes carrying two special items. The first one is a unique gas-mask/helmet, that is sure to get our hero out of a few tight spots.

We won't spoil the other one, but believe us when we say this - the other thing he or she is going to carry into the Wastes will remind all it's abominable inhabitants why they should respect and fear lone striders in thick overcoats!..

Thank you guys for all your support! You are making ATOM into something special here!

puppyonastik

Augur
Congrats Atom Team! Please make sure you have a paypal link setup for when the kickstarter finishes! I'll continue to spread word of mouth as best I can!

DarkUnderlord considering their success, why not toss around the idea of a codex fundraiser? I'm sure they'd honor it and give us a worthy nod, what say you, Atomboy?

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
The 60 days kickstarter is finally over at $33,521! Congratulations are in order.

THANK YOU!

1dd88f19d6174a7b76807efbed6de5eb_original.png

DREAM TEAM
Wow, guys!
It's been quite the journey! But we made it all together!

Despite always having faith in our passion project, we sometimes looked onto the probability of success on Kickstarter with doubt, since we came here with no marketing budget and no paid PR.

Yet, you doubled the starting goal, and by that, made our game much bigger and better than it was even originally planned!

From now on, it is all going to be about hard work and constant progress updates on our social media and on this page. Also during the following week we will make a survey for you guys that will help us collect information to start fulfilling your Rewards!

Thank you so very much! Now its our turn to deliver!

Atom team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom