Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

waterdeep

Learned
Replaying Quake and the Half Life series. 1 is still the best Half Life game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Currently on the Thieves' Guild mission in Thief Gold. I hardly remember anything about it from previous playthroughs, but apart from the obnoxious music (I had to turn off ambient sounds) it's quite good.

Two things I (re)learnt from this mission:
1. You can's shoot arrows through bars. It's weird that you could do this in an old game like Dungeon Master, but not in more modern games like Thief and the TES games.
2. Guards are more alert when sleeping than when awake.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Two years of owning The Witcher 3 and I started today. Just like the previous game, I'll probably enjoy some aspects but not be a huge fan of the combat.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Played some Dino D-Day last night, had been a long time. Anyone else own this Source mod masterpiece?

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Baldur's Gate 1. Went and bought 'Siege of Dragonspear' like A HOMO! So plan is to go through all of this shit. BG1 - SoD - BG2 - ToB.

Yeah, that'll happen. I'm hoping I can at least finish BG 1 again. Would've jumped straight into 'Dragonspear,' but I lost my last BG 1 character.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just beat Binding of Isaac Rebirth. Very good game. The random nature of the game makes it really tough or easy depending on items. I don't know if there are multiple endings, but I'm on to afterbirth.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Just beat Binding of Isaac Rebirth. Very good game. The random nature of the game makes it really tough or easy depending on items. I don't know if there are multiple endings, but I'm on to afterbirth.
Which was the last "final" boss you defeated? There's a series of progress unlocks, and the game truly opens up only after you defeat one of them 10 times.

sullynathan

Arcane
Whoever recommended Saboteur, thanks. It's a good game.

Which was the last "final" boss you defeated? There's a series of progress unlocks, and the game truly opens up only after you defeat one of them 10 times.
I fought Mom. This was the 2nd time I ever reached this far in the final stage. The first time I died against her, this time I had an overpowered laser cloud thing and 7 health so it was easy.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

I fought Mom. This was the 2nd time I ever reached this far in the final stage. The first time I died against her, this time I had an overpowered laser cloud thing and 7 health so it was easy.
Mom is an early game boss. After you defeat her 3 times, IIRC, the next set of levels opens up. The next boss has to be defeated either 3 or 10 times, can't remember. Then the last set of levels opens, except this time there are multiple paths.

You're still in newbie island. If this was Dark Souls, Mom is the equivalent of defeating the Gargoyles. The general expectation is that once you're competent you can play past Mom with pretty much any build.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Playing Dawn of War 2. It's a strange beast - sort of an ARPG/RTS hybrid. The difficulty curve is completely broken - at least if you don't know on which mission you can get your first Terminator Armor. In the beginning it's mostly :balance:'d, but as you level up and your wargear lags behind all kinds of enemies start randomly one-shoting your squads. At level 18 I got a defense mission where every wave had two Seer Council squads and some vehicles. Nothing could possibly be more unfair...

Anyway, it's pure agony till you reach the max level, finally gather some great gear and totally faceroll the same guys that were terrorizing you just a couple of missions ago.

Krivol

Magister
I'm playing 3 games at the moment:

Fallout New Vegas - after few years I put shitload of mods to this and it really looks good and plays great...
Fallout Tactics - with redux mod, I am not sure if this mod is really necessary, but after +/- 100 hours in vanilla, it's a bit refreshing
Shadow of Mordor - I'm glad I have never played a game like this (e.g. Batman:Arkham Whatever or Assasins Shit) because it seems fresh to me and I can play it even if plot is silly and gameplay repetetive as fuck. Mindless smashing LMB from time to time is like meditation. Also Tolkien's universe fits my taste much better than assasin's or DC universe.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Took Baldur's Gate 1 Enhanced Edition for a test ride. Overall the graphics looks slightly worse than I remember the original did (but then I played on a 7 inches smaller monitor last time), but the character sprites look really bad, even with outlining turned off.

It runs smoothly enough, though, and the ability to resize fonts is welcome.

sullynathan

Arcane

Mom is an early game boss. After you defeat her 3 times, IIRC, the next set of levels opens up. The next boss has to be defeated either 3 or 10 times, can't remember. Then the last set of levels opens, except this time there are multiple paths.

You're still in newbie island. If this was Dark Souls, Mom is the equivalent of defeating the Gargoyles. The general expectation is that once you're competent you can play past Mom with pretty much any build.
So I pretty much have to beat the game 3 times? lmao. I deleted the game and downloaded the latest patched version so I'll try it again.

Yeah, I really like the climbing and rooftop hopping. None of that fancy-shmancy parkour stuff.

And dem cars.
It's like EA's version of Assassin's Creed but in WW2. It's good so far, but the AI is outdated even for the time it released. I'm surprised it never got a sequel.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

So I pretty much have to beat the game 3 times? lmao. I deleted the game and downloaded the latest patched version so I'll try it again.
It's a 20-50h kind of game to reach the endgame content, depending on your skill level. Then for as long as you have fun grinding all the character/ending combinations.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Fire Emblem 3 (Monsho no Nazo), Book 1

First ever FF game for me, and loved it.

Good:
- For such an old game, gameplay is simply great: interesting, difficult, complex and balanced (your fags can die easily through the entire game).
- A lot of factors has to be taken into consideration when tacticuling: unit range, jobs, weapons, terrain type, possibility of counterattack and so on. And by "taken into consideration" I mean "You don't - your fag dies".
- Permadeath. :obviously:
- You can pull off some unorthodox actions by teleporting units, utilizing mount/unmount command, etc.
- Battle animations look great, after all these years.
- Story is minimal, which is great in such game imo: 90% combat, 8% preparing for combat, 2% everything else.
- Strong womyn on pegasuses, distributing swords - OMG tis haevan!
- Animu-free, except unit portraits. I've heard newest games aren't as good in this aspect.
- Liked the lack of rock-paper-scissors mechanic from Advance Wars (and later FF games, as I've read).

Ugly:
- UI takes some getting used to...
- Some "jobs" (heroes) are clearly superior to others (armorfags).
- Unofficial translation isn't that great (glitchy fonts, etc).

Bad:
- No way of knowing which unit is good and which is shit (stat growths), without either leveling them up for 2-3 levels or using a meta-knowledge (FAQ).
- Very random (criticals, sudden enemy reinforcements), which can be too much for some people.

Verdict:

:5/5:

Looking forward to moar.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

sullynathan

Arcane

Yeah, I really like the climbing and rooftop hopping. None of that fancy-shmancy parkour stuff.

And dem cars.
It's like EA's version of Assassin's Creed but in WW2. It's good so far, but the AI is outdated even for the time it released. I'm surprised it never got a sequel.
EA. This was Pandemic Studio's last game.
Nevermind EA published it.

baturinsky

Arcane
System Shock 2. Now in Command Center (6th floor).

It's as good as I remember, but also as I remember, balance is crap. Assault Rifle obsoletes everything. I carry shotgun and laspistol too to save on Rifle ammo, but everything else is just gathering dust near elevator. Psi has some very nice skills on first tiers, but higher skills are prohibitively expensive both in skill point and psi points sense. Also, Normal is very easy.

I wish there were some rebalance mod for this...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom