Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Square Enix sells off IO-Interactive - now an independent studio

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/hitman/hitman-season-2-io-interactive-rights

Hitman is saved, claim German games site - Io retain rights, season two is still coming

After yesterday’s painful news that Hitman’s publishers Square Enix were selling off the series’ developers, Io Interactive, it seems there may - just may - be a future for Agent 47.

German site Gamestar.de report that the rights to Hitman will remain with Io Interactive and not Square Enix. That’s unusual in any developer-publisher relationship, let alone one in which the developer is a wholly-owned subsidiary, as Io is to Square.

But Gamestar cite “reliable circles” (according to Google Translate), who have assured them that Io will retain the rights, and are now looking for a new investor. Better yet, season two of last year’s Hitman reboot is “definitely” on the way - Io have been hard at work on it and are apparently halfway done.

To be clear, this is unconfirmed, so do treat it with some caution (or pinches of salt, if you think that would help). Gamestar are a reputable site, though, and are confident enough to predict that Io will make an official statement next week. It's also worth noting that leaving the Hitman rights with Io makes the studio more valuable, thus enabling Square Enix to sell it for a higher price.

We'll let you know if and when Io say more. If you missed yesterday's news, let us catch you up on all the drama.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Last I heard, the new Hitman sold well and PowerTorment seemed very pleased with it.

This is more complex than that one game not doing well.
it is square enix beingfuckerhead as usual. First sleepin ddogs then deus ex, then hitman. Fuck those cum golem

Only Sleeping Dogs was seriously any good though of the SE efforts. Others ranged from meh to ok. So not too many fucks were given. Fuck them and their episodic shit.

Episodic gaming: shit idea since 2006 and SiN Emergence

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I had heard the new Shitman was good but I don't know who to trust anymore, what with the overwhelming amount of decline-enablers everywhere. Hope I didn't not support a potentially good game.

Episodic content sounds like some utter faggotry tho...
New Hitman is okayish, it's better than abshitlution but it doesn't come close to Blood Money.

In my opinion it's pretty close to Blood Money. It's a good game that was fucked by the episodic format.

Cadmus

Arcane
hurr durr what could go wrong with always online, episodic content? You guys are always fearmongering! Fuckin idiots, it's not like you own and play any 5-10 year old games anyway!! stop crying! it will ALWAYS work online anyway!!!

haha fucking morons, I told you so

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
hurr durr what could go wrong with always online, episodic content? You guys are always fearmongering! Fuckin idiots, it's not like you own and play any 5-10 year old games anyway!! stop crying! it will ALWAYS work online anyway!!!

haha fucking morons, I told you so
You are too early with your trolling, as it appears that IP is staying with IO, which means that game will remain online and that second season is still in the works...

Which is actually pretty good. Square has been treating their western IPs horridly...

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh:

Today at IOI, we had to make some changes to our studio, which will allow us to be better equipped for our future adventures.

We're sad that great talent and good friends will be leaving the studio. We are doing everything possible to look after everyone affected.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That is horribly unclear. That "great talent and good friends will be leaving the studio" bit sounds rather scary.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They'd be in real trouble if they had to lay off senior programmers. The backbone of the studio.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Well, I guess I ain't gonna get around to making any H2016 content in the end.

Such a shame. It is a good game. Well, it has good levels, at the very least. I have a feeling that it's going to be a bit of a case study on developers perfecting their game as much as possible versus market expectations. The game didn't bring out all its "WOW" on release.

I suppose "neither did Ground Zeroes", but Squeenix definitely hands over the beer to Konami as it proceeds to outdo it in terms of terrible business decisions.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Prediction: Morgoth is mostly right in that they're going to focus on mobile games now. Like Hitman GO!

Deleted member 7219

Prediction: Morgoth is mostly right in that they're going to focus on mobile games now. Like Hitman GO!

I'd rather IO Interactive do a special Chuckle Brothers version of Hitman.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Remedy and many other studios are offering positions for now ex-IO devs.

PowerTorment ,if you can tell, did IO retain rights and licence for Hitman's engine ?
There are some info around you're making new IP in Unreal so I wonder did you leave Hitman's engine behind?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Corporate speak from the Financial Results Briefing: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/170511/page09.html

Lastly, I would like to comment on our withdrawal from the IO Interactive A/S business.

Our decision to withdraw from the IO Interactive A/S business was the result of a review of our portfolio that we conducted as part of our effort to concentrate our resources in order to strengthen our development capabilities.

Because the firm is engaged in the development of “HITMAN” and other renowned titles, we are negotiating with prospective external investors capable of ensuring that these titles carry on.

This concludes my presentation.

Q: Could you be more specific about your reasons for withdrawing from the IO Interactive A/S business?

A: Given the nature of the competitive landscape in the Western markets as well as other considerations, we decided we needed to concentrate our development resources. The decision to withdraw from that business was the result of a review of our Group’s allocation of both financial and human resources.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom