Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter StarCrawlers - indie sci-fi dungeon crawling RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/318970/announcements/detail/2508913833603263419

Launch Date Adjusted : May 23rd
15 MAY - THUNDERFLUX
eFTSgiE.gif

Hi everyone!

We’ve decided to delay launch until May 23rd- there’s a few more adjustments, fixes and tweaks to make (plus a brand new system we’ve been keeping secret) and we want to make sure everything is solid for launch.

Thank you for your patience and we’ll be back in 7 short days with launch of version 1.0!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Also released on GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/starcrawlers?as=1649904300

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/125859261/starcrawlers/posts/1892661

3... 2... 1... LAUNCH
We’re happy to announce that StarCrawlers v1.0 is live on Steam and GOG now! First of all, we want to thank you for backing and believing. It was a long, strange trip, but we made it in the end! Thank you for all your feedback and ideas, and thank you to all of our Early Access community for your amazing support. Your feedback and creativity has helped shape the game into what it is today, your prolific playtesting has helped us stomp out those pesky bugs, and most importantly your encouragement and enthusiasm has kept us going every day of development!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! <3

That's great! What’s Next for StarCrawlers?
Whoa! Slow down, we've only just released it! But we're already back to work :D We are committed to supporting the game from here on out - routine bug fix and improvement patches will be made and we would love to expand the experience with core content updates and even DLC, depending on demand. We'll keep in touch with regular updates to let you know the state of the game and how things are looking for expansion!

I’m a Backer! How do I get my gear?
If you backed on Kickstarter, your reward gear can be obtained by visiting the in game Black Market - select “I need to tell you something...”, and enter your Steam Key in the dialogue box. To get your key, simply head to the backerkit page, login to your account, and select “Digital Downloads”. Whichever platform you are playing on, the Steam key from your Backerkit will unlock your gear at the Black Market.

Now, stop reading this and GO PLAY STARCRAWLERS!
<3, Juggernaut Games
Ps. We did it you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me, I need to go and re-install, now that it has formally released. Apparently there was some kind of "secret system" to be implemented for the release version. Am curious as to what that was.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This video makes it seem pretty cool for $15. Maybe I'll buy it later today.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't believe I fell for Fargo's bait-and-switch with Bard's Tale 4, but I didn't back this! For £14.99 this is worth a punt.

What a time for a crawler fan to be alive! Operation Babel just got released and is pretty decent, this came out today and of course, the magnum opus that is Grimoire releases in a mere 6 days! No doubt about that whatsoever, nope, none.

:takemymoney:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Hmm... the spark doesn't jump over :(
Watching this video rather makes me want to play Deus Ex 1 again...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shackleton

i've played the end-of-2015's early access build (or whateverthe fuck), and i can assure you Starcrawlers is worth playing. in fact, having only playded that demo that only had the first 2 missions and (within its scope) you could only acquire 2 party members (so not able to experience the combat w/ full party); even all that and you know what?

i'd much rather play SC than one more dungeon's worth of the mediocre Operation Babel. Yes, it's better than abyss, that means it is simply mediocre. SC is about the same amount of complexity, though i don't think they have multi classing.

attributes are few but each one matters (hopefully), and the char classes look worth using (most weren't available for use). combat is traditional Wiz-style / every-other-game-style in turn-based more and the main "gimmick" is that you can accumulate something called time units to use that resource to either use your regular skills but boosted, or use skills that are majority of the time locked/cost-too-much unless you specifically store TU's.

each class has 3 skill trees to go down thru, and while i thought they were all as "expected" as possibly could be it doesn't take away from the fact that everything did what it said on the tin. you want a ninja that hides, or one that insta kills, or one that learns shit that is useful outside of combat? like i said, "expected" skill trees (for the ninja) but regardless they're still all viable.

the thing i'm most hoping for is either multi classing or the ability, later on, to mix and match from each skill tree to truly customize the char. (almost 80% certain the picking-from-different-trees-but-at-a-cost is already implemented from last i read the dev's site's blog).

dungeon wise is the only negative, but i repeat, the demo was only the 1st two dungeons so i will refrain from commenting further on dungeons.

lastly, the thing they're hoping will set it apart is that every single mission you are presented with the option to accomplish tasks that are to the liking of 1 of the 3 factions in the game, and you need to align yourself with 1 of them (hopefully there will be a no-faction route), and you do that by making sure to complete the bonus objectives in the missions when the faction asks.

those sound like the codex style magical CandC but worry not, it is not complex at all; those tasks consist of doing what you would normally always do in any Wiz-clone, except in SC they distributed every single bullshit thing you would do in a Wiz-clone and aligned it to the faction system.

that said tho, even in the 2nd dungeon there are 2 secret rooms to find that are 100% optional and ZERO clue is given about them! it was greatly satisfying to move the mouse over a grate in the ceiling of a room and get a prompt for opening it.

Can't wait!

PS: example of a faction related mission objective: 1 guy wants thespace bunnies who stowed away on ship to die, the other guy wants them alive.

WOWZERS. but still appreciated, i guess. the reason i snark is because i'm kind of certain they are gonna make this game and itll be great, for what it is, but they'll ship it with mediocre dungeons, or worse, "procedural" ones, and instead they'll have spent bulk of their time/money into the faction crap.

we'll see. as duanth123 said above:

- DO NOT expect something with the depth of an elminage-type J-crawler. however, it is by default leagues better than Exp Inc games if only because animu girls aren't blabbing at you every two steps. :D

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sinatar

you have finished it? please, how are the dungeons? procedural dungeons are always a terrrible idea in a 'crawler type of game, but who knows, did they actually put it off?

and please use a reference when qualifying your experience, such as "constant spatial awareness reminded me of X game...".

thanks! :)

Zetor

Arcane
Had this game for a long time, but haven't played it in EA... some random first impressions follow. Overall the game feels pretty polished and a decent "crawler-lite" with very heavy influences from WOW/Diablo/etc (and not just in the random gear and their tier colors, but also the concept of elite mobs, diminishing returns on CC, lots of specific lingo mostly related to loot, etc etc). So far it's been pretty fun to play, but it looks like they've taken streamlining to an extreme, for better or worse.

I've only done the first few story missions for now and a handful of procgen ones. I'll say that the boss fight at the end of the "recover the black box" mission was pretty cool -- 5 enemies each with unique abilities / attack patterns working together to screw the party. Also, healing is very limited in this game, it's medkits or nothing (there's some regen abilities later on that may help, unless it degenerates into Darkest Dungeon-style "keep the last enemy alive while the party cycles through slow heals") Overall resource management can get really tense (playing on Challenging difficulty), but this is still really early on.

The tone is very goofy: I wouldn't even call it pulp sf, more like cartoonish sf with a slight cyberpunk flavor, but it doesn't go full absurd like Superhero League of Hoboken either. Anyway, that can probably be a turn-off, though honestly it's still an improvement over whatever passes for writing in japanese blobbers (aka "tape down the skip button").

As for the streamlining: char building is "choose one tree and go all out until you hit the bottom tier, then maybe think about branching out", hybridizing looks like it's just going to screw your character. There are also not that many choices to make wrt gear / stats / abilities to choose from with the game's heavy reliance on random loot. Tactics are mostly straightforward for each enemy type (and probably bosses too, once the player has seen the encounters), and the maps are simple with obvious parts where you can hunt for loot, occasionally encounter a pop-up challenge where you have to use skill x or end up in a surprise encounter, or sometimes solve a simple puzzle or look into a few optional areas / find secrets by spotting irregularities in the walls, disarm traps by spotting laser beams on the floor / emitters from the walls, etc. I don't expect anything on par with GXTH's Babel or even Wiz7's Dane Tower, hope I'll be proven wrong though!

edit: and hey, even if the dungeon design stays as it is, the game's still plenty enjoyable, I don't regret spending the $$$. Just temper your expectations, this is no Wizardry.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Zetor coming in hot making sure baby jesus cries tonight :D

it's always so aggrevating when devs mess up such simple shit as making sure the dungeons/itemization/encounters in their 'crawler are as best as possibly can be.

if they hadn't wasted all that money on getting the dumb unity engine and trynig to make it "look nice" they could've actually made a real man's game.

tbut i'll stop for now until i eventually play it and then comment.

(double-bad again on it being unity as it makes editing the game / modding the game's stuff, i.e. enemies/items, simple stuff, downright impossible due to unity being the worst fucking thing ever).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
(double-bad again on it being unity as it makes editing the game / modding the game's stuff, i.e. enemies/items, simple stuff, downright impossible due to unity being the worst fucking thing ever).
Wut. If anything it makes it much easier since u can extract the assets and use a reflector on the .dlls to decompile the entire C# code.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom