Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How big is your backlog?

McPlusle

Savant
Upon creating my account here I've realized that I have a massive library of role-playing games....that I've never fucking played. I don't know what my problem is, I just have all these games and I feel like I won't get through all of them in this lifetime. Does anyone else feel this way? How extensive is your RPG backlog at the moment? Do you feel you'll ever have the time to clear it?

The actual list below, in no order as I've yet to decide on one:
Arcanum
Shadowrun Returns Trilogy
Wasteland 2 DC
Wizardry 6-8
Jagged Alliance 2
Fallout 2 & New Vegas
Literally every Spiderweb Software game released on Steam
Pillars of Eternity
Tyranny
Age of Decadence
Underrail
Expeditions: Conquistador
Divinity: Original Sin EE
Serpent in the Staglands
Darklands
Ultima 4-7 + Underworld 1 & 2 (and maybe 8 and 9 if I'm feeling crazy)
Betrayal at Krondor
The Gold Box Forgotten Realms/Savage Frontier games
Might & Magic 1-9
Starflight 1 & 2
Dark Sun 1 & 2
Gothic 1-3

I should probably stop buying games.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I used to have a backlog of over 250 games I "wanted" to play. Now it's much smaller. It consists of only 11 games that I have played and that I liked. From my signature:

- Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
- Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Baldur´s Gate
- Deus Ex
- Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
- Final Fantasy Origins
- Gothic II Gold
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
- Dark Souls: Prepare to Die
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director's Cut

By my definition, these don't actually consistute a "backlog", just unfinished business. Having a backlog at all, in retrospective, is idiotic. If you can't begin to play a game, it's probably because you weren't interested in it in the first place.

Kahr

For me it's basically:
-Ultima Underworld 2
-Ultima 4-9
-Betrayal at Krondor
-Might and Magic 1,2 and 9 (let's see about 9 though)
-Realms of Arkania Trilogy

I used to have a backlog of over 250 games I "wanted" to play. Now it's much smaller. It consists of only 11 games that I have played and that I liked.
I'm glad, you finally got reasonable about that. 250 games is basically destroying your life. Have fun, bro.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I used to have a backlog of over 250 games I "wanted" to play. Now it's much smaller. It consists of only 11 games that I have played and that I liked.
I'm glad, you finally got reasonable about that. 250 games is basically destroying your life. Have fun, bro.

Thanks! It's definitely more enjoyable to look back on the games I have played and liked, than to look forward to games I'll probably never play and that start feeling like "work".

bataille

Arcane
I just play until they get old and never return to them. Games with strong narratives are very rare, so I feel that I don't miss out on the 'wholeness' front. The games that you'd want to finish are self-evident and extremely rare, maybe 1% of all games. All in all, it's a complete joy. No backlogs, no lists, no plans. Just encounter a thing, play with it for a bit and then ditch it.
No remorse.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Most of my backlog is actually older games that I've played and enjoyed and want to replay: Arcanum, Fallout 1, ToEE, Dark Sun, Might and Magic series, Ultima series, Wizardry series, Eye of the Beholder 1-2, BaK, Daggerfall and Battlespire, PST, IWD 1-2, some of the Gold Box games (specifically the Pool series), and so on.

I just never seem to have the time to do anything anymore :negative:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe you just spend too much time in Giftstravaganza, Sceptic? +M

Anyway, we all know the problem, RPGs eat up a lot of time and most of us aren't teens anymore and can spend all day, erry day immersing ourselves in a fantasy world. At the same time, we live in the times of Saint Gaben of the Discount and Codex Top 50 Lists - so there is this huge divide between "I have always wanted to play this and its -75%!" and "I actually have the 30 to 60 to 80 upwards hours to finish this!"

Then you gotta take into account that there are other interesting genres as well and it is no wonder most of our backlogs are probably way into the hundreds. Mine sure is.

In terms of a narrower backlog, that is, games that I really REALLY felt I must play before I die I think I did a pretty good job in the last few years filling the worst gaps. Finished Gothic, Baldurs Gate, finished Ultima 7. Wizardry 7 & 8 are probably the biggest ones open for me yet but I think if I go under a bus tomorrow I won't have too many regrets.

I can only suggest people narrow their backlogs down to a handful of must finish before I die games and try to focus on these. You never know when its over and its better to burn out than to fade away.

My my, hey hey, RPGs are here to stay ~

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
My backlog is non-existent. I don't treat gaming like work, I treat it like play. Having a backlog makes gaming a chore, at least for me.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's long, but I don't really have time for playing games lately. I spend about 30 minutes on bard's tale 3 every night before I go to bed.

I got into RPG's very late, and trying to catch up on a genre where games typically take between 20-50 hours to complete is difficult with limited time and all. I have installed Prelude to Darkness and intend to delve into that one next once I find the time for it, but that probably won't be for another month from now.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I am about half-way through Nioh, Persona 5, Planescape: Numanera, and I've started Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Bravely Second and The Surge, but I've been playing old school cRPGs I missed out on instead, like Wizardry 6, 7, and Darklands.

You should definitely play Wizardry 8, Ultima 6 & 7 (with Exult), and the Might and Magic Xeen games (4&5). Those are the creme of your list.

You can take Darklands off the list, it's pretty overrated.

*runs away*

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Playing good games (and replaying my old favourites) and their best user made content chronologically, my backlog is basically any good CRPG, FPS and TBS from December 1998 up until the current time.
So a big, ever changing list.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
You know the mob size in Might and Magic 6? About that much.
Here's a non-comprehensive list:
  1. Might and Magic 1-10
  2. HoMM I-V
  3. TES Arena
  4. TES II Daggerfall
  5. Wizardry 1-8
  6. Fallout 2&New Vegas
  7. Lords of Xulima
  8. Gold Box Games
  9. Baldur's Gate 2
  10. Icewind Dale
  11. Icewind Dale 2
  12. Planescape: Torment
  13. Mount & Blade
  14. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
  15. Grimoire (who knows, amirite?)
  16. Storm King's Thunder D&D module
  17. Elder Scrolls Legends: Battlespire
  18. Divinity Original Sin
  19. Doom
  20. Doom II
  21. Ultima IV-VI
  22. Ultima I-III
  23. Dragon Age Origins
And many more.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
My backlog is any game I haven't tried yet that I might be interested in trying next time I'm at a loss for a game to play.

In terms of games I currently own that I haven't played yet, I've got a couple. One waiting for an upgraded system, the other waiting until I've recovered from a previous game in the series.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My backlog is smaller than it used to be. It currently sits at a reasonable 256 games. I'll probably abandon 100 of those games at one point.

Vorark

Erudite
My backlog is non-existent. I don't treat gaming like work, I treat it like play. Having a backlog makes gaming a chore, at least for me.

Was about to post the same thing. I just play whatever I feel like, even if it means ending up with many yet-to-start or unfinished games.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
About

38 CRPGs
90 books, of which about one half fiction, the other half being science/non-fiction
40 films

and 1 frozen pizza.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Backlog is a dumb term for Steam users who purchase more than they can play.

They wear it like a lil' badge of honor; to them, it's a way to say "Look how rich and in excess I am."

Truth is, it's only access to mostly useless data and the games are sold for a pittance. Most Steam users are actually poor; many are homeless.

Doesn't Seinfeld own like 100 Porsches parked in an airport hangar? That's something to boast about.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Backlog is a dumb term for Steam users who purchase more than they can play.

They wear it like a lil' badge of honor; to them, it's a way to say "Look how rich and in excess I am."
Honestly, I never thought it that way. I think discussing backlogs is harmless entertainment, not unlike larping a female on online fora.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I probably have around 200 games on Steam and GOG I have yet to play. Can't wait for my retirement to spend all my time gaming. :M

I don't have any. Normally, I buy a game, then I play it to completion, and thats it. That is the way it has always been with me for the past 40 years, basically since before the idea of "purchasing" games was even a concept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom