Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kotor 1 destroys my brain cells. The pain... Aaaargh!!!

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It was OK game but really overshadowed by sequel; but if you want to have cool Jedi/Sith fights play Academy instead; I remember to gimp myself playing first time by leveling my soldier to 8 level... :lol: the sweet innocent times before Jewtube and walkthroughs; what is still good; the HK-47, Korriban and Dantoine... rest felt like theme park and Card Cuckasi was really annyoying; specially if you chosen to play as wombyn.

Severian Silk

Mass Effect is even more dumb, but at the same time more streamlined, which makes it easier to tolerate.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've been trying time and again to finish this game for the last 10 years. I actually played Kotor 2 before the first one and loved it mostly thanks to the writing. It was all the good parts of the movies (basically Yoda's philosophical babble about the force) amped up to 11. I couldn't complete the game thanks to bugs everywhere, but whatever. So Kotor 1 then was lauded as the best game evar by so many people that I tried to play this. It's so boring and stilted. It feels like it's made for kids. The writing is utterly simplistic. I could never get past completing 2 or 3 planets. I also got spoiled on the plot twist, which I guess is a pretty cool one, but also a pretty simplistic. It's just weird how this game is so highly regarded everywhere, like it's better than BG2 or something.

I mean, it was made for kids.

As are all console games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Mass Effect is even more dumb, but at the same time more streamlined, which makes it easier to tolerate.

No way man. KOTOR is basically consolized, dumped down Baldur's Gate. It may have been massive decline but at least it was still an RPG.

Incidentally, KOTOR is the last Bioware game i actually finished. I tried both Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age 1 but didn't get far in either, and haven't touched anything else they've made since. This company went to shit a LONG time ago.

ore clover

Learned
Not as cancerous as Dragon Age 3.
Who is it that put it into Bioware's heads that all their new games (Andromeda too) needed to have most of their gameplay consist of MMO filler crap?
They were greedy for Skyrim monies, basically. Back when Inquisition was in the oven, there was an interview with one of the producers, in which he said that Skyrim's yuge success changed the rpg landscape.

So, make it big and open-worldy! I assume they didn't realize it wasn't quite working with Inquisition when they planned out Andromeda, and thus stuck with the formula.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Not as cancerous as Dragon Age 3.
Who is it that put it into Bioware's heads that all their new games (Andromeda too) needed to have most of their gameplay consist of MMO filler crap?
They were greedy for Skyrim monies, basically. Back when Inquisition was in the oven, there was an interview with one of the producers, in which he said that Skyrim's yuge success changed the rpg landscape.

So, make it big and open-worldy! I assume they didn't realize it wasn't quite working with Inquisition when they planned out Andromeda, and thus stuck with the formula.
Bioware itself belongs in the oven.

Darkman

Educated
KOTOR is just suffering from being an old game and it's hard to see how influential and important it was since many of the mechanics are in new games. Put your games in context people!

This. It's influence honestly matters a lot more than it's own individual quality as a game.

it's impact on the WRPG format and the Star Wars mythos in general. (later Star wars media and Force Awakens had a lot of in it directly influenced by KOtOR) are big watershed moments. It shifted many of the games from the DND based isometric style, to the now popular third person style with a heavy focus on companions.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I played KOTOR only after Jade Empire (which I actually liked despite the horrible pseudo Asian setting), and yeah it just felt like going thru very narrow grey and brown corridors, clicking on things till they die and doing really bullshit fetch quests. Despite these two games running on the same engine, Jade Empire is just so much superior in all areas.

But eh, let's at least get to the part where you become a Jedi?

Not much does change, you get some spells based on your alignment, but they're essentially flavor, e.g. the Sith Lightning drains your whole mana pool without killing a single enemy, which the later more open maps are filled with.

The quest design is banal, shit, boring too naive and even cartoon-like childish. You must go there and kill the evil guy, go there young Jedi, click on the enemies. The combat is the mix of the worst parts of NWN and Morrowind. Everyone's dancing in some of the most cringiest combat "stances", occasionally leaping over to do a hit, or miss completely. It's real-time with (massive?) turn-based logic, which just doesn't work that well. Melee weapons are the king, you can just keep on using the steel sword to cut everyone down. The whole game essentially felt like an endless grind without much satisfaction.

Good parts: some of the party members are p cool, you get a token wookie, a blue haired alien girl, etc, and they have their own quests and stories that they gradually feed you, not unlike Mass Effect, which both KOTOR and Jade Empire were crude prototypes of. The twist about "whomst be the the evil Sith nigga that's gone missing" was p cool, if cheesy. But Star Wars is supposed to be cheesy to a certain extent. Spoiler:
it's you, before amnesia. You can either embrace your former identity once revealed or keep on being a goody-two-shoes Jedi.

4/10, would not bother. Just go straight to KOTOR 2, which is actually a good game.

laclongquan

Arcane
KOTOR1 is like a bowl of ramen (or instant noodle) cooked carefully and competently.

Sure, it's just noodles (with a few optional things). Sure, it's not haute cuisine.

But whenever you get a whiff of it and you can resist the urge to make a bowl of your own to eat, you are faggot.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Anybody got a decoder ring for the above post? Wtf did I just read...

Anyways, KotOR is a better game than DAO/DA2/3, better than ME2/3, has actually better facial animations than MEA... It is not the equal of Obsidian's TSL, but it is not a terrible game. Black and white morality is childish, but sometimes it is nice to live in that fantasy.

Really, in the list of shitty games BioWare has published, KotOR is amongst the better ones. This says less about the KotOR quality and more about how fucking terrible nu-BioWare is and has been for years.

mbv123

Arbiter
Kotor 1 is decent just because I can manipulate that furry faggot to kill his twilek jailbait gf for no reason at all other than im evil hurr

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Anybody got a decoder ring for the above post? Wtf did I just read...
Who is worse at english, the guy that isn't fluent or the guy that doesn't understand less then fluent :philosoraptor:
If you are really pondering this, you have some issues.

I understood his post, until he got to faggot - which made no sense in any imagined context. Perhaps I have a poor imagination.

Last edited:

wyes gull

Savant
Does anyone actually like the combat in either Kotors? I mean just the tactical aspect, not the bling (animations, sfx); just selecting the target, chaining actions and watching them play out.

It's games like these that make me sort of understand that burger chick with the "skip gameplay option" complaint, if only for different reasons.

wyes gull

Savant
Crap, when the one guy ITT who's defending its good name has that reaction, one has to wonder just who in the fuck was Kotor's combat supposed to cater to.

First big-brand example of gameplay as padding to the story in RPGs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom