Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Battle Brothers

sser

Arcane
Developer
Now now Celerity...surely nothing can be worse than the Darkest Dungeon?

I didn't say it was worse. I said it was exactly like it. There was even some guy who got censored because he knew the game better than the devs.
Sarissofoi were you or someone you know of censored by the developers of this game?

AFAIK, nobody's been censored. Might be referencing this little outburst:

Sarissofoi said:
request?
They reply sometimes and I bet one of them sometimes lurking here. I think its Rap and he mostly ignore things he don;t want to talk about.
Their 'writer' who is responsible for terrible writing lurk there and get offended if you point that his wrting are worse than Hitler.
Psen(the art guy) show his arts on game forum so you should go there.
Also I was asking on some access to files before by some community moderators and all I get was nothing.
Access to files would be great boom to the game as even modifing units, camps, party composition could affect gameplay greatly. Not even mentioning modifing items or skills or contracts. Simple thing.
Even with current state of things there would be guys who will probably add more contracts or factions.

Note: I rarely post on the forums so I don't even know what he's referencing here. There was another member who accused me of talking shit about him as well and, again, I had literally on clue what they were talking about. I'm not even sure if someone was impersonating me or what.

Overhype said:
As Germans we are a bit touchy being compared to Hitler. I am sure you did not mean to compare us. We do not want to see this on the forums and although you have been a very active member of the community this is too much. We expect to not read similar things comparing us to Hitler again.

Thanks.

Sarissofoi said:
Can you read? Or maybe you are mentally challenged? Don't put words i didn't write into my mouth.
"Their 'writer' who is responsible for terrible writing lurk there and get offended if you point that his wrting are worse than Hitler." - that is what I write.
Oh I bet you are Casey or maybe his boyfriend. Maybe so as I thought that Casey was American. Nevermind. Its not really important.

Thing is writing and narration are so far weakest part of the game. Art is glorius, mechanics are decent and show great potential, UI is good enough although it could use some more funcionality. Writting is plain terrible and anticlimatic. In my honest opinion.

Also get from your high horse. Your feelings I care not. If you so easily triggered maybe you should visit doctor for some pills. If so I have more right to be offended to be lectured by some german who can't even comprehand what he read. It was your country that invaded ours and kill millions of our citizens, steal and pluder our art and destroy cities. It was your country that was lead by democraticly elected leader. Your whole military force swear alliegance to him. It was your military that burn my grandgrandpa in synagouge in Bialystok. Thanks Lord that some Poles smuggle my grandgrandma from ghetto before that happen.
Or maybe you are just angry because I joke about your former leader? Still salty that he lose? Get over it.
What is wrong with germans that they always pick on us for some immaginary things we not did?

Also learn to read.

Most developers would have banned him and erased these posts.

Overhype Studios did not.

So if someone did get censored, I don't personally know about it, but it would have had to have been on a worse level than that.

Kuattro

Augur
The Codex should buy plane tickets to get Sarissofoi and Celerity in the same room. It's a match made in heaven.

Imagine the beautiful children they would have. All 1337 of them.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Now now Celerity...surely nothing can be worse than the Darkest Dungeon?

I didn't say it was worse. I said it was exactly like it. There was even some guy who got censored because he knew the game better than the devs.
Sarissofoi were you or someone you know of censored by the developers of this game?

AFAIK, nobody's been censored. Might be referencing this little outburst:

I took that as sardonic reference to Celerity's 1337 hours of Darkest Dungeon, his unprecedented public nerd rage implosion and eventual censoring by Red Hook or whoeverthefuck made the game.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
So in hindsight and after squeezing every ounce of fun out of the game you say it's not fun. Who does that remind me me of? Are you one of these 1337 hour thumbs down steam reviewers?
No. Also this 1337 hours are inflated by initiative battle system and AI taking time 'thinking' about movement. I must admit that before speed hack I used to read book on enemy turn(but initiative based system is not great for that).
To be honest earlier builds were more fun to play even if unbalanced and not having many 'features' that was added earlier. Bloat strikes again.
As I said game is worth the money but have plenty of weak points that not make it great.
Overall Early access is a mistake.
I bet I would have different opinion if I did not follow this game from beginning.

The 1337 hour number is just me referring to someone else. In fairness you're nothing like that guy.

OK I take it back.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Hello citizens, what is going here?
So many new posts are there, is new update happen?
Oh...
Such a disappointment. Almost like BB.
I see, digging old dirt, looks like that old Stasi customs never die. Now I feel like a Jew under occupation. German occupation to be precise. My RED (and 110% communist) blood boil with anger right now.
Just wait CODEX I gonna LIBERATE you from GERMAN warmongers.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
well to be fair, hitler published an international bestseller that is still considered a classic today, perhaps if slightly controversial

can sser profess the same, or at least similar, achievements?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
well to be fair, hitler published an international bestseller that is still considered a classic today, perhaps if slightly controversial

can sser profess the same, or at least similar, achievements?
Well the cult (classic) and controversy parts are coming along nicely? Give him a bit more than half a century to make it a fair comparison at least, Rome wasn't built in a day :D

Last edited:

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
No, I wasn't talking about him. I was talking about someone who criticized the game mechanics for the same list of failings and got ignored.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Hello citizens, what is going here?
So many new posts are there, is new update happen?
Oh...
Such a disappointment. Almost like BB.
I see, digging old dirt, looks like that old Stasi customs never die. Now I feel like a Jew under occupation. German occupation to be precise. My RED (and 110% communist) blood boil with anger right now.
Just wait CODEX I gonna LIBERATE you from GERMAN warmongers.

You sure fit in here great, welcome aboard for real hahaha

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Although I gotta say I don't quite get what's supposed to be so wrong with the writing... Apart from the "rustic" maille or armor or whatever :D

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"I'm hard to kale"

That and the fact that sser considers flogging to be an effective way to cure alcoholism.

Srsly tho, the writing is above average and, by AAA standards a fucking classic.

Monolith

Prophet
Thanks for the review @Darth Roxor As weird as it sounds, made me buy it. And I'm glad I did, although my screen got almost punched through because of it a couple of times.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Writing quality aside (I liked it), have to hand it to the team for ignoring all the SJW horseshit.

I would say because its mostly common sense. SJW do not buy games and especially they do not buy this sort of games. Appealing to noisy minority that make noise but do not buy your product when offending silent majority is not a smart move. And it would also consume time and resources they do not have to spend.

The writing is mostly unnecessary bloat that do not really affect game in any way. And the way how say undead crisis was handled call for punishment from the gods.
It would do better with talking heads and more dialogs like kind of TO/FFT. Wall of text could be saved for in-game codex and in-game lore books.

No, I wasn't talking about him. I was talking about someone who criticized the game mechanics for the same list of failings and got ignored.

Hm. I remember two cases that could be the one.
First with Lampros going ballistic about Perfect Focus nerf and other balance stuff. He was using math and tested stuff to death to prove his points. Well he was right but as a end result devs cut off Perfect Focus from the game and all we get was a shitty Adrenaline. No fun allowed.
Second one was about battle AI that could be easily exploited in specific situations that become more visible(and often) on higher difficulty levels. This one was hilarious as there was me and other guy(or two) who was providing examples and stuff and there were mods or music guy who was "but AI is alright", and we was like "look, do this and check it yourself, and tell us if its alright" and he was like "but its mostly OK". What was funny that all changes to AI was done silently and there were no comments from any devs, where just simply "yes, we know, current AI is just placeholder and we gonna fix it before launch". They eventually did and well the battle AI is pretty good(even if still do some weird moves sometimes, ha even annoying often but that lack of communication really made me worried about game that time.
Turns out they break other stuff but hey its another story.

I do not remember any censoring thought. Can be wrong.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So this review is bullocks and the game is awesome?

Nah, as unfortunate as it can be, the rat was rigth.
Everything related to gameplay and enemy design is amazing and of rock solid design. But the vanilla game simply doesn't have enough content to keep the experience engaging past the first playthroughs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom