Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Gggman takes a fresh look at this game, and discovers that it isn't that bad.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Quotes from the video:

• "all the mediocrity"
  • "countless bugs and glitches"
  • "companions as useful as a hatful of dogshit"
  • "claims to be a true sequel, which leads you to know the whole thing is gonna be horseshit"
  • "pulse rifle is pathetic"
  • "on release you could literally just walk through a level and the xenos couldn't keep up with you due to limited AI"
  • "get it for $5, you'll mostly have an okay time... mostly"

His actual conclusion was not that the game isn't that bad per se, but rather that it isn't as horribly bad as people were making it out to be. That's an important distinction. It's still clearly bad though, and its condition on release is definitely still a factor, because a major point of contention was Gearbox's egregious E3 demo graphics fakery.

I'm glad Colonial Marines came out in the state it did, because it helped rocket E3 fakery (and developer shenanigans in general) into the mainstream consciousness of even mouth-breathing console kiddos.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nah you don't get it guise, we currently live in a golden era of AAA games. The game is good, it's just consumers that don't appreciate it...

Heh.

Last edited:

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
His point is that game received undue amount of hate and was (alongside Gearbox itself) a victim of gaming community herd-like behavior... Exceptional title it isn't, but for the right price it is enjoyable little shooter, and is especially worthwhile for he dedicated fans of Alien/Prometheus franchise.

Outlander

Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
His point is that game received undue amount of hate and was (alongside Gearbox itself) a victim of gaming community herd-like behavior... Exceptional title it isn't, but for the right price it is enjoyable little shooter, and is especially worthwhile for he dedicated fans of Alien/Prometheus franchise.

Next thing, you'll say Daikatana and Ultima 8 also received "undue amount of hate and were victims of gaming community herd-like behavior".

Don Peste

Arcane
Please Randy, don't embarrass yourself like this again.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was pretty fun in coop. Like when you watch a horror b-movie with a friend.

The main thing that ruined it is that you are constantly following a npc. Game is best when you are all alone and decide when to go and where.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
He spends eight or so minutes explaining in detail how shitty the game is, then whips around in the final minute and goes "B-but it's really not that bad guiz, give it a whirl if you really want to!" At best, he's damning the game with faint praise. I also love how he tried to handwave away the complaints of the popamole sections with Weyland Yutani mercs with the Watsonian explanation of "IT'S BECAUSE THEY'RE THE REAL VILLAINS OF THE SERIES, GUIZ", conveniently ignoring the simple Doylist reason why people hated it; because fighting against the mercs was dull and fucking boring. This is one of the many videos where I find myself disagreeing with GGmanlives' final opinion. Sure, the game isn't one of the worst games ever made, but it's still really not worth anyone's time.

And no, Gearbox wasn't a 'victim' of anything besides its own hubris. It's public knowledge that they intentionally half-assed the game's development, diverted funds that Sega gave them for it to their other projects (primarily Borderlands 2), and when a hard deadline was imposed on them, they passed the buck to Timegate Studios, who were forced to essentially rebuild the game from the ground-up because the assets Gearbox provided were borderline unworkable. So don't give me the "FANS JUST HAD INSATIABLE EXPECTATIONS" sob story, Gearbox brought that shit-show onto themselves.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

sup bubbles

Explorerbc

Arcane
I liked it. I didn't really have any expectations and wasn't hyped for it, I just like sci-fi shooters and really wanted to play in the aliens setting.

It wasn't a masterpiece but I enjoyed those 6 hours, I've played a lot of dumb mediocre shooters to kill my time anyway and this was far from being the worst one.

I can understand why people who had put a lot of faith in it were disappointed though, and Gearbox was already a scummy studio in my book.

Outlander

Patron

sup bubbles

Hey Mynon, what are your thoughts on Realms of Arkania HD?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What blows my mind is that anyone could fuck up a six-hour-long, practically on-rails shooter—one being developed around a ready-to-go, established IP, no less. That's an awfully low bar.

Queercocks must have put their retard squad on Colonial Marines after they acquired it from... whomever they acquired it from. I don't remember.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Next thing, you'll say Daikatana and Ultima 8 also received "undue amount of hate and were victims of gaming community herd-like behavior".
Actually Daikatana is not as terrible as it is claimed by the populace. It is a bad game, but not a OMG THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER PRODUCED. Same with Duke Nukem Forever. People on the internet sometimes confuse disappointing with terrible.

TC Jr

Scholar
As far as I can tell this was a cod campaign set in the aliens universe, why so hated? I'm sure before hand it was known what type of game it would be despite initial details, so I fail to see why this has earned that shit rep? Seems more bland rather than outright poor.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
A big part of the controversy around release was that people were shown "gameplay" at an event, and the final product was different in many ways. I can't even remember it too well but you could look up an article from around the time for a detailed list of the differences. It was also incredibly buggy.
dunno why bethesda still gets away with this shit so much

A lot of the bugs were very silly looking which spawned a lot of memes which always seems to fan the flames these days too. It was a combination of issues that made it such a big deal really

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Actually Daikatana is not as terrible as it is claimed by the populace. It is a bad game, but not a OMG THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER PRODUCED. Same with Duke Nukem Forever. People on the internet sometimes confuse disappointing with terrible.
Daikatana is nowadays a victim of its reputation, and its horrible opening sections. Latter on, it is passable 90s shooter. If not for BS surrounding its release, and if you cut off or redesigned the opening chapter, it would be in the same rank as Shogo or Kiss... Not a must play, but still an enjoyable little 90s FPS with some neat tricks of its own.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
WHOOPS.

A years-old, one-letter typo led to Aliens: Colonial Marines‘ weird AI
Mod team found it last year; wider discovery thanks to Gearbox game's latest $3 sale.
Sam Machkovech - 7/14/2018, 4:30 AM

aliens-CL-800x450.jpg

Enlarge / Want Aliens: Colonial Marines to better resemble this 'shopped image? Just remove one letter!
Gearbox / Sega

History may never be kind to Aliens: Colonial Marines, but the present tense isn't looking so good for the lawsuit- and complaint-ridden Gearbox game, either. This week brought to our attention one of the weirdest coding typos we've ever seen in a game—which has apparently been hidden inside of A:CM's PC version since its 2013 launch.

The first-person shooter returned to gaming's zeitgeist this week thanks to a 90-percent discount at gaming site Fanatical, which brings its asking price down to $3. (Buying the PC version outright from Steam currently costs the full $30 price.) This sale led one fan to plead with members of the popular gaming forum ResetERA to consider the game as a decent cheap-fun option, especially due to a 712MB fan-made patch at moddb.com that addresses many of the game's graphical and gameplay glitches.

Tether vs. teather
Upon researching this patch, ResetERA readers noticed something in the moddb.com notes that somehow escaped the gaming community at large in October 2017: the discovery of a one-letter typo in A:CM's INI files. As moddb.com user jamesdickinson963 pointed out last year, the game's "PecanEngine.ini" file references a "tether" system in assigning AI commands to the series' infamous monsters (which I'll call "xenomorphs" for brevity's sake, even though that term isn't necessarily the right one). However, one of its two mentions of the term "tether" is misspelled as "teather."

Dickinson's post alleges that this command, when spelled correctly, "controls tactical position adjustment, patrolling, and target zoning. When a xeno is spawned, it is attached to a zone tether. This zone tells the xeno what area is its fighting space and where different exits are. In combat, a xeno will be forced to switch to a new tether (such as one behind you) so as to flank or disperse so they aren't so grouped up, etc." Thanks to how the engine parsed this typo, it never caused any crashes; instead, the engine ignored the unfamiliar term. Thus, the game's monsters never received the smarter, useful information that had been programmed from the get-go. Instead, they often ran around like in the below, infamous image.

giphy.gif

The infamous "bad AI" GIF that a fan posted shortly after the launch of Aliens: Colonial Marines.
This 2017 post came shortly after the release of the group's final "Game Over, Man!" patch, which, among many other fixes, overwrites this INI file with the typo's correction. Turns out, as of press time, the patch is still useful. Gearbox has not updated the game's PC version since July 2013, and the typo is still there.

On Friday, Ars re-downloaded and tested the game, exactly as served by Steam, through the opening beats of two missions. Then, we replayed those missions after editing the "teather" typo in the aforementioned INI file. In both missions, xenomorph AI improved dramatically once the typo was corrected, with monsters immediately taking advantage of elevated attack positions, hiding points, and multi-monster flanks. The difference is night-and-day.

Does this typo-correction upgrade mean the game is officially worth $3? Not necessarily. But the full patch does remedy enough of the game's biggest issues for anybody who might happen to own the game. Meanwhile, for anybody else in need of a quick sci-fi fix, we can think of worse ways to spend a few bucks for hours of entertainment.

From ArsTechnica.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8yp1um/modder_fixes_alien_colonial_marines_by_fixing_a/

This is just like a bug discovered a few months ago in Civilization 6. In a file setting the AI's priorities, the word "yield" was misspelled. Instead of prioritizing "YIELD_PRODUCTION", the AI tried to prioritize "YEILD_PRODUCTION". Without a proper set of priorities, the AI made terrible strategic decisions all the time.

The bug existed for over a year before being discovered by a modder.

Cristo

Someone in the thread mentioned that if only the programming were a little more terrible, the game would fail to load due to the typo, but sadly it was set to ignore it and keep working.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That gif isn't them having bad AI, it's a blind Alien. However many times people try to correct this no one listens though.

The game's problem wasn't shit AI as I remember it, it was just a repetitive and boring fucking game in general. Maybe it was both though, I didn't play long enough to really find out probably (and I mostly remember shooting people?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom