Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are old Xcom worth playing? And which ones?

Emily

Arcane
I gotta say.I hate the close combat in ships in this game. I am guessing there is a way to cheese it,but I dont really like playing like that. But playing it "normal" is just BRUTAL.
I have put a proximity granade,and the damn fly just took it head on and went to rip my squad even tho everyone was covered.

And just lol at zombies spawning more fly. It is too much.

And I think therr must be some level scaling,as so far I got rated excellent on almost all months,and already they are sending very large (4th month only) ships idk.

Severian Silk

I managed to beat Apoc, but could never get the hang of the strategic aspect of the original. I don't have the attention span I did a decade or more ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emily

Arcane
>Blast launchers....

What the cuck is this nonsense. I leveled the entire shipe using this insanity.

Utterly OP,and I can only.Imagine enemy using it against me. Lol.

In fact I think I already won the game,I can mass produce these launchers and bombs and just level the entire battlefield lol.
Gotta think some way to limit myself to maybe only officers having them.or something.

Emily

Arcane
Oh and large UFOs started appearing and my planes cannot destroy them... :( it seems I kinda fucked up my research.

Early on, your planes with twin avalanches should fuck up most of that alien shit. If its a big ship don't even try early on - Terror Ships and such can casually one-two shot your Interceptors.

You can also attack a ship with two interceptors, but its somewhat hard to do. They have to reach same target at once.

I have put a proximity granade,and the damn fly just took it head on and went to rip my squad even tho everyone was covered.

Those are Chrysalids.

They are one of the biggest threats in the game.
They can also run like hell and shrug pretty much anything that is not rockets or lasers.
What to do if you find those:
1. Deploy immense firepower. Rocket Launchers and Lasers are good. Firearms are too weak and most bounce on the Chrysalids except for Heavy Cannon. Pretty sure they don't feel starter grenades much. A good idea is to learn how to use High Explosives.
2. If the Chrysalid doesn't make a death cry, its not dead. Keep your ears open, if you are in doubt destroy the corpse. I've seen those things survive rocket-to-the-face.
3. Get some distance. They run fast but they also tire fast. Also, sometimes they run up to you, then run around a bit and do nothing. That's sort of a AI bug, generally when a lot of enemies are looking at them.
4. Melee monsters have no reaction attack. This means, you can get into their face and unload a fuckload of cqc burst fire. Make sure you have at least a laser weapon before doing this.
5. In extreme cases, go up a stairwell or something, then destroy the stairs leading to it. Chrysalids can't fly.

The flies arent really problem in open,nor.in terror missions as.I just level down the entire city.using rockets. :D

But in the battleship layout these fuckers just strike from nowhere on my untrained troops. (Playing this blind ironman so all my.troops are.dying all the time).

And I gotta say even tho the tactical.system.is much better than new XCom,more complexity,more troops etc,the strategic one is just too easy. With getting.too much easy money,so even party wipes arent really that bad.

Emily

Arcane
>Blast launchers....
In fact I think I already won the game
inb4 mind control / ethereal base attack
Oh I already got fucked by those mind control freaks I am staying far away from them as possible.
I am guessing you could cheese them by going with tanks or going with unloaded weapons and tossing the ammo to the guy who can shoot at them. But it is a bit too much micro intensive to me.

3. Get some distance. They run fast but they also tire fast. Also, sometimes they run up to you, then run around a bit and do nothing. That's sort of a AI bug, generally when a lot of enemies are looking at them.
think of it as like when a dog gets overexcited and doesn't know anymore where to run and starts rolling and jumping and half-barking.
chrysalids too need love.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Oh and large UFOs started appearing and my planes cannot destroy them... :( it seems I kinda fucked up my research.

Early on, your planes with twin avalanches should fuck up most of that alien shit. If its a big ship don't even try early on - Terror Ships and such can casually one-two shot your Interceptors.

You can also attack a ship with two interceptors, but its somewhat hard to do. They have to reach same target at once.

Those are Chrysalids.

They are one of the biggest threats in the game.
They can also run like hell and shrug pretty much anything that is not rockets or lasers.
What to do if you find those:
1. Deploy immense firepower. Rocket Launchers and Lasers are good. Firearms are too weak and most bounce on the Chrysalids except for Heavy Cannon. Pretty sure they don't feel starter grenades much. A good idea is to learn how to use High Explosives.
2. If the Chrysalid doesn't make a death cry, its not dead. Keep your ears open, if you are in doubt destroy the corpse. I've seen those things survive rocket-to-the-face.
4. Melee monsters have no reaction attack. This means, you can get into their face and unload a fuckload of cqc burst fire. Make sure you have at least a laser weapon before doing this.
5. In extreme cases, go up a stairwell or something, then destroy the stairs leading to it. Chrysalids can't fly.

The flies arent really problem in open,nor.in terror missions as.I just level down the entire city.using rockets. :D

But in the battleship layout these fuckers just strike from nowhere on my untrained troops. (Playing this blind ironman so all my.troops are.dying all the time).

And I gotta say even tho the tactical.system.is much better than new XCom,more complexity,more troops etc,the strategic one is just too easy. With getting.too much easy money,so even party wipes arent really that bad.

Ironman eh. Enjoy it when they attack your starting base and one of the aliens spawns off the map and you can't kill him and your only way to progress the game is to abandon the base because you can't reload.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
I once fired with a tank cannon at a fly in close range and it destroyed the tank in one hit in retaliation. :D

They are not "flies". They are "Chryssalids". Not "flies". You've been calling them "flies" for a dozen posts, even though others have already mentioned in their replies to you that they're called Chryssalids (and not flies). It's annoying, because their name is not "fly", it's Chryssalid.

So stop calling them "flies", because they are not flies. From now on, only ever refer to them as "Chryssalids". Do this because they're called Chryssalids. And not "flies".

Emily

Arcane
Ok something weird is happening. I am.suddenly dominating my game,havent had a death in over a month,and I am.only seeing small and medium scouts. Could.this be the famous beginner difficulty revert bug?

Emily

Arcane
I once fired with a tank cannon at a fly in close range and it destroyed the tank in one hit in retaliation. :D

They are not "flies". They are "Chryssalids". Not "flies". You've been calling them "flies" for a dozen posts, even though others have already mentioned in their replies to you that they're called Chryssalids (and not flies). It's annoying, because their name is not "fly", it's Chryssalid.

So stop calling them "flies", because they are not flies. From now on, only ever refer to them as "Chryssalids". Do this because they're called Chryssalids. And not "flies".

Cause it.is more funny that way.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter

Cause it.is more funny that way.
It's not funny, it's annoying.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok something weird is happening. I am.suddenly dominating my game,havent had a death in over a month,and I am.only seeing small and medium scouts. Could.this be the famous beginner difficulty revert bug?
If you are playing Open Xcom it has fixed that bug. Maybe you just need to fight more Flies ;)

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It might be that you aren't detecting them (they could have a base in Antarctic or in some other middle-of-nowhere), you could check the alien activity in a given region.

Or just a sign that you might want to start wrapping the game up. Which month is it?

Generally, the farther you are in the game, the more vicious the assaults become. Relapses like these are unusual. But it has nothing to do with the difficulty bug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom