Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://battlebrothersgame.com/lore-art-book-released/

LORE & ART BOOK RELEASED

We’re happy to announce that the Digital Lore & Art Book, which is part of the Supporter Edition of Battle Brothers, has been finalized and released. If you own it, it will download automatically to the ‘Extras’ folder of your game installation.

The book documents many of the artistic choices and iterations we made during the development, and our reasoning behind it. As such, it is as much a documentary on the visual aspects of the game as it is an art book to flip through. At the same time, you’ll also find additional lore on the game’s factions, written by the game’s writer, Casey Hollingshead.

This book is dedicated to our brothers-in-arms who supported the development of Battle Brothers above and beyond by getting the Supporter Edition. The game wouldn’t be the same without you – thank you from all of us!

THE 1.1 UPDATE
Work is also progressing on the 1.1 update to the game. As announced last time, we are are having our post-release vacations this month, so you can expect the update to be finished and go live later in June, which is also when we’ll announce our future plans. See you then!

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Lore book looks awesome. I hope 1.1 addresses the uniques because...

9BBF4DC4DCF4D544253F875C13F319CA13E8C348

WTF IS THIS SHIT!?!? Worse stats than the non-magical armor you get for befriending a noble house ¬¬

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Lore book looks awesome. I hope 1.1 addresses the uniques because...

9BBF4DC4DCF4D544253F875C13F319CA13E8C348

WTF IS THIS SHIT!?!? Worse stats than the non-magical armor you get for befriending a noble house ¬¬

Considering how rare uniques are to begin with and how much they cost, increasing the minimum stats of them would probably be a good thing. I've often found unique weapons that just added some durability or increased attack by an amount that doesn't usually matter given the confines of the battle system's ruleset.

Is there any info on what they want to do for patch 1.1?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yes. So let me sum it up: dear rapsdjff , I know you still lurk here sometimes. Here is what IMO needs to be done to Make Uniques Great Again:

- REMOVE durability from the pool of "possible improvements" on weapons. Seriously, I have NEVER, EVER seen one of my weapons break mid fight. After fucking 500h+. It's just an overall useless stat boost. Better yet, just toss in something like "every unique has 30% extra durability" and call it a day.
- MAKE SURE that every single piece of magical armor is significantly better than its vanilla counterpart, either by being stronger or less fatiguing (or a mix of both). It's VERY frustrating to see "yeeeah, magick armor!!" and then hover the armor and realize it's either like 5% better or completely useless (like the one I linked). Uniques are rare as fuck, they don't need to be rare AND potentially useless.
- IMPROVE the algorithm that determines weapon type, because it's clearly skewed towards certain types of weapons. So far I got ZERO 2-handers in my latest game and a ton of 1-handed axes. Kinda sucks.
- INCREASE the amount of time uniques stay in shops. It sucks to see a decent piece of armor sitting there for 50k and you have like 40k and when you come back, POOF. Gone. IMHO uniques should NEVER despawn, they should stay in shops until either you or another merc company buys them. That way you can get your magic bling bling by going psycho on another merc company. Win-win.
- Make uniques a bit more consistent. Right now they feel like completely random rewards. Sometimes you get them from a random bandit Hedge Knight on a pretty easy fight and then when you fight an entire Orc tribe, complete with Warlord and "A plethora of Orc Warriors" you get...nothing. IMHO, top tier camps (Orc City, Goblin "gate to underground city" and big undead camps) should ALWAYS pack at least one DECENT unique item.
- INCLUDE undead weapons among the possible uniques. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants to see an unique Warscythe! :D Same goes for the Goblin Crossbow.
- UNDERSTAND that some stats are useless for some weapons and should, therefore, receive VERY low priority or none at all. Eg: "ignore armor" on a 1h Hammer, "vs armor" on a dagger, "shield damage" on a 2H Sword etc.

Anyway, now we have an ETA on 1.1, which is nice. I hope they decide to launch a DLC, so I can pre-order. :D

hellbent

Augur
These are great suggestions.

- IMPROVE the algorithm that determines weapon type, because it's clearly skewed towards certain types of weapons. So far I got ZERO 2-handers in my latest game and a ton of 1-handed axes. Kinda sucks.

Hell yes - drops are terrible in diversity. I hate fighting legion after legion of brigands using 2H against me, only to have all but the 2H weapons show up in the loot pool after the fight.

- Make uniques a bit more consistent. Right now they feel like completely random rewards. Sometimes you get them from a random bandit Hedge Knight on a pretty easy fight and then when you fight an entire Orc tribe, complete with Warlord and "A plethora of Orc Warriors" you get...nothing. IMHO, top tier camps (Orc City, Goblin "gate to underground city" and big undead camps) should ALWAYS pack at least one DECENT unique item.

It would be great if uniques were tied to encounter difficulty and enemy type! I like randomness, but there should be more consistency in the loot tables for uniques and other items. If I roll up on brigands that just knocked over a caravan, they should have gems, wine, etc to take from them as well.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- REMOVE durability from the pool of "possible improvements" on weapons. Seriously, I have NEVER, EVER seen one of my weapons break mid fight. After fucking 500h+.
It used to sometimes happen with spears in the very early versions. It was really annoying and thankfully it doesn't happen anymore. I guess it could if you start a fight with 25% durability or something but normally durability is just a money sink, yeah.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Yes. So let me sum it up: dear rapsdjff , I know you still lurk here sometimes. Here is what IMO needs to be done to Make Uniques Great Again:

- REMOVE durability from the pool of "possible improvements" on weapons. Seriously, I have NEVER, EVER seen one of my weapons break mid fight. After fucking 500h+. It's just an overall useless stat boost. Better yet, just toss in something like "every unique has 30% extra durability" and call it a day.
I'm in favor of a flat increase, at least for spears and 1h swords. Those are the ones that get abused the most I think. I've had a spear break a time or two, didn't notice until my bro had to fistfight his next foe. Esp. bad with undead weapons, obv.
I'd love to see undead gear being restorable. Maybe a "weaponsmith" background or something? Maybe a swordmaster or retired soldier (what was the actual name again) can gain the ability to do so once he gets the "old age" debuff? Or a unique background you can get during undead invasion endgame?
- MAKE SURE that every single piece of magical armor is significantly better than its vanilla counterpart, either by being stronger or less fatiguing (or a mix of both). It's VERY frustrating to see "yeeeah, magick armor!!" and then hover the armor and realize it's either like 5% better or completely useless (like the one I linked). Uniques are rare as fuck, they don't need to be rare AND potentially useless.
I've pretty much always found a mix of weapons fwiw. This might just be people being unlucky because of RNG, but then you often hear folks reporting streaks of one specific weapon type per campaign.
Not really that fun though, tbh. Maybe less RNG would be good here.
- INCREASE the amount of time uniques stay in shops. It sucks to see a decent piece of armor sitting there for 50k and you have like 40k and when you come back, POOF. Gone. IMHO uniques should NEVER despawn, they should stay in shops until either you or another merc company buys them. That way you can get your magic bling bling by going psycho on another merc company. Win-win.
Yeah uniques disappearing so quickly is annoying as hell. It'd be fine if they only disappeared if they were replaced by a new one or something. I've rarely had the chance to buy one at all esp. in higher difficulties, and then only cheap ones or if I was already well past the first crisis (or the second).
Having them stay around would give you a chance to actually save up for something specifically for once.
Could also increase uniques from fights/contracts and remove them from stores or so, but that'd make caravan missions kind of pointless.
The only reliable way to get uniques (and usually pretty good ones, too) I've found was to troll the edge of the map for enemy settlements, esp. in the unexplored area.
Risk vs. reward in this game is really screwed up right now most of the time.
- INCLUDE undead weapons among the possible uniques. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants to see an unique Warscythe! :D Same goes for the Goblin Crossbow.
Yeah, all weapon types should have uniques imo.
- UNDERSTAND that some stats are useless for some weapons and should, therefore, receive VERY low priority or none at all. Eg: "ignore armor" on a 1h Hammer, "vs armor" on a dagger, "shield damage" on a 2H Sword etc.
Just a minor nitpick, but a 2h can split shields iirc so shield damage can actually be nice if you're up against the undead and your bros hit chance just ain't quite there. Useless against orcs of course.
Anyway, now we have an ETA on 1.1, which is nice. I hope they decide to launch a DLC, so I can pre-order. :D

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Most of your complaints come from that when they introduce new 'features' they often leave remnants of old balance system in game.
>durability of weapons
It was really serious issue in early builds when you could break 2-3 swords easily in fight. Now its just money sink as its cost tools to 'repair' them and it also serve as reducing player profits from selling loot(need repair it first).
>randomized unique weapon stats
They are often randomized to older builds weapons and sometimes they just do not make much sense. Its like they do not play-test it enough. I mean javelins with a buff that give -1 fatigue when carried? Seriously.
>shops and unique items
Problem is that shops stocks are often affected by random events and with current enemy spawn/generation rate they are pretty much permanent.
>risk and reward
It was long process of culling fun from the game. Wonder if they even play it on ironman.
>drop system
Another way to cut player profit from selling looted weapons.
>unique weapons spawn
To be honest I did not see single 2handed swords in my entire game play time. NEVER EVER.
That alone tell me that there is something wrong with RNG or that just devs hate me and put some code in the game that not allow me having 2handed swords(that I loved even before they become cool).

It would be good if price of unique was connected with quality of it.
So if you find a sword in shop that have some minor upgrade it cost less that a sword that have some big upgrades.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom