Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kerbal Space Program

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't need keostationary sats for comms network...

Drax

Arcane
Fucking decline. Goddamn chicano capitalist pigs, first they paid everyone pennies so all the devs fucked off and now this...
How about you fix all the goddamn bugs in the base game first you douchebags?

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Damn sure I'm butthurt. Fuckers could have made money without being shitslurpers.

For a start, they could've treated their devs decently so they would've... you know. Stayed.

Only thing worse than a first-world capitalist exploiter is a third-world capitalist exploiter.

Pbhuh

Barely Literate
You guys heard about the Expansion DLC that the devs are working on?
Bqn5c3ob0iXJUjd3Bm0TShta94174vwDw7wuYBW7KC-KeK_yMbsb9TGIcCr4CBCWTVhJ72X5MB7PYp8PYrEwyl_3O5FL8L6NxeU1sc70UYa18LsmjR581EA5bx8yUai0rtxd9Mwy

Prime Junta

Yeah fuck that mock Cyrillic. Should have been Макіиg Ніsтояу Эхраиsіои

Edit: srsly, they missed an opportunity to throw in a Я, what the fuck?

Hellraiser

Arcane
They revealed some more bits on the mission builder in the newest weekly not-really-dev-notes update.

At its core the Mission Builder takes its inspiration from Visual Scripting methodology. Using the Mission Builder, players will lay out their missions graphically rather than using a system where they type out lines of code. This of course makes the system accessible to a wider section of the community and of course means more awesome content for all!

As mentioned, each Mission will comprise of Objectives (nodes), but there will also be other types of Nodes that can be placed down to flesh out and expand your mission. One of these other Nodes types are what we are calling Constraint Nodes. Constraint Nodes will provide rules for players of your Missions. Things like Must use or Can’t use part x, or Complete this Objective in under x Days (in Game Time). There are many more of these, and we’re working hard on generating a big list for you guys to use - as usual we will share more of these with you all in the coming weeks.

Overall they said previously it is an in-game implementation of what the forum challenges were but with some twists. Some form of events (part failure?) during a mission can also be set up per what was announced a few weeks back. Like I mentioned when they announced the expansion, scenarios with gimped ships might be quite fun. I still would have rather seen fleshing out the existing planets, some new outer planets (and a Titan analogue moon, low gravity high atmo density shenanigans would be interesting) but without Mu or someone who can understand Mu's planet generation quad system it is doubtful they will touch the thing any time soon. However I do think they said something about implementing a better loading system in order to support the expansion and any future ones. The lack of such and the resulting memory budget issues were the excuse for not adding more planets IIRC (also a main reason why 64bit KSP was desired, the game could use more RAM for more mods).

BTW I am not sure if I mentioned it, but aeons ago, just before KSP hit steam after there was a row that maybe in the future there will be expansion packs, the lead dev said that any future expansion pack will be free for anyone who bought it before that date. Mind you it was eons ago, around version 0.19 I think (so just after rover wheels). But Squad's PR person confirmed they will honour that promise. I am pretty sure that the number of sales post-steam was a whole order of magnitude bigger than before so they can afford it.

Prime Junta

Finally did a trip to Jool.

New career, relatively low tech level, but KER and Procedural Parts installed. Went with an as minimalist setup as I could manage while still being able to bring back lots of science.

(I love Procedural Parts btw. Can make such pretty spaceships with it, and much more finely-tuned than with the regular ones too.)

Payload is two Mk 1 lander cans, with a detachable science can on top. The science can has a small docking port on top. Attached to that is a Science Jr carrying all the instruments. Crew is one pilot and one scientist.

Payload is driven by a Spark with about 3000 dV. That was mostly for the return trip.

To get there, I had a big ol' can of fuel with a Terrier, for another 3000 dV or so.

The whole interplanetary ship, with fuel, weighed in at about 15 tons. So then I had a booster to get it into orbit -- about 550k altitude. Total calculated dV was about 10k.

So then. Boosted to Jool, gravity braked off Laythe to get captured by it, tooled around the system collecting science. Visited most bodies in the system, including a dip in Jool's upper atmosphere. Got on a return trajectory by slingshotting off Laythe, with a dip in its upper atmosphere too. As usual I overengineered; I had enough dV left to park in a nice equatorial orbit at around 350k altitude around Kerbin. Remaining is a simple rescue mission picking up the science can (that's what the docking port is for) and the crew. I could have done with up to 1000 less dV while still making it back; the rescue mission would just have been a bit more challenging.

That was cool, and easier than I expected -- in particular capture by Jool -- and ejection from it -- didn't require much dV at all, thanks to Laythe; the initial burn out and final braking burn to get back to Kerbin were the most expensive bits, at about 2000 dV each.

Once I have my tech level up I want to do some bigger missions. My long-term goal is to "colonise" Jool: set up a fuelling station in Minmus and another somewhere in the Jool system. This way the trip would only cost about 2000 dV each way, instead of 6000 like now -- not much more than a "traditional" Mun trip.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hm....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-acquired-by-rockstar-parent-company-take-two

Kerbal Space Program bought by Rockstar parent company Take-Two

Kerbal Space Program has been snapped up by Take-Two, the parent company behind Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series and 2K's BioShock and Borderlands.

jpg

The popular indie spaceflight sim first launched way back in 2011 and has been growing ever since - both in terms of features and popularity.

Console versions for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One arrived last year.

Kerbal developer Squad announced the game's purchase today via a new blog post, in which the team assured fans that the game's upcoming content schedule would not be disrupted.

The full statement is below:

Hello everyone,

We have very exciting news to share with the KSP community today: Take-Two Interactive has purchased Kerbal Space Program. The important thing to know is that this big news doesn't change much for the KSP community. Squad and the current development team is still here and we're hard at work on KSP and its future updates, but now we are fortunate enough to do so with the help of an experienced publisher like Take-Two, and we couldn't be more excited and happy to see where our conjoint collaboration will take KSP forward.

Right now, we're still focused on the Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion and we'll continue to keep you updated on our progress. And yes, we're keeping our promise of free DLC for everyone who purchased KSP through April 2013! We're continuing to work closely with Blitworks on the updated version of KSP for consoles, which will be available on the Xbox and PSN digital stores when it is complete. This will be a free update for anyone who already owns KSP on Xbox or PS4. We can't wait for you to play what we've been working on in the coming months!

This is a very exciting time for KSP and the Community, and we hope you're as thrilled as we are. The team at Take-Two are big fans of KSP, who have been persistently knocking on our door trying to work with us for a long time. They share your passion for the game and we're really eager to see what Squad and Take-Two can do together for Kerbal Space Program moving forward!

Happy launchings! The KSP Development Team​

Today's news comes just a week after it was revealed that some former Squad staff members had left and joined Half-Life creator Valve to work on an unannounced project.

Rich Cobbett deemed KSP "an essential sandbox for anyone with an interest in space, rocketry, or explosions" in Eurogamer's Kerbal Space Program review.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

Since the dev team left, KSP's status has been "fucked." The (now former) owner has been treating the devs miserably. Rockstar/Take-Two gets games. This is at least potential :incline: .

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
My take is that after all the competent developers left, Squad decided it was the last chance to sell a popular franchise to a big publisher.

The popamole factory will probably have plans to make Kerbal themed sequels and spinoffs - shit mostly - and also make us of Squads successful business model_ squeezing out the last bit of life from developers with low self esteem, paying them 500$ a month. The same that Ubi did several times, like with Ubisoft Romania.

Hellraiser

Arcane
My take is that after all the competent developers left, Squad decided it was the last chance to sell a popular franchise to a big publisher.

They were most likely planning for it earlier as they moved the trademark/rights to a dummy company they registered in the Netherlands. The news of it and the shitty conditions came to light only when the lead dev left. My guess it was one of the many straws, the lead dev felt royally fucked over and quit.

Overall as long as they would not try to make a sequel from scratch and just milk with DLC they would have a chance to sell it anyway.

I am more curious what the former lead dev, who I guess is working for Valve know (it is not confirmed), is doing. Well it is either him or Mu (the only other actual programmer) at Valve as only those guys are MIA after leaving Squad. Bac9 and C7 are both working on some mecha tactical game called Phantom Brigade. Speaking of which, turns out they also have one of the Gaslamp Games leavers on board. Just in case we needed more confirmation Gaslamp Games is dead.

Prime Junta

Guise, I think there's a chance that someone at Take-Two actually likes KSP. I'm choosing to desperately cling to that faint hope.

(Reasoning? KSP is niche. There's no way Take-Two can turn it into a GTA style mass-market franchise, little green weirdos using realistic-ish physics to fly rockets into things just doesn't have that kind of mass appeal. On the other hand, with a bit of a cash and talent injection -- nothing huge, mind, but still enough to matter -- and some marketing, they can keep it ticking away profitably in that niche. And to do that, they have to keep the current smallish but extremely committed fanbase happy. No guarantee they won't fuck it up, but I don't see how buying KSP makes much sense with anything else in mind.)

Hellraiser

Arcane
I dusted off my old KSP save file from 1.2 recently, updated the mods and went on exploring the system.

Well, to be honest I just got to Duna. With the stock comm system I actually managed to upgrade everything before getting to Duna. The Munar Orbital lab in the screenshot from last year in this topic fed most of the science. It was difficult to acquire it otherwise as I did not focus on relays, and even with an upgraded tracking center you are not getting far without the second strongest relays. Unless you saturate the system with relays. On the other hand I cannot just send Kerbals everywhere because I installed USI life support, which makes manned missions a bit more of a hassle. Well, its not that bad once you figure out what you need. But it does add a lot of dry mass.

Either way, my Deep Space Cruiser Antares just got into a stable 200ish by 1000ish orbit around Duna:

ksp%20ddsm%201.png

Its actually 2 ships docked to the Antares at the moment. One more than planned for this mission. This is my first Deep Space Cruiser in this save file as mostly I needed the cash and tech to unlock the very basic nuclear reactors and the magnetoplasmadynamic engines. Of course the whole mission must have cost at least 800k to launch.

It's mission was not just getting to Duna and back. It actually completed a grand tour contract of Mun, Minmus and Duna.

At the Mun it rendezvous (but not docked) with the Munar station I showed earlier, picked up both scientists (they sucked the data in the lab anyway) and refuelled the lander (it picked it up in LKO).

It did a flyby of Minmus slightly before the Duna lanuch window. But of course I should have done it at least 40 days prior. I missed the launch window by 30 days because it takes so long to get to Minmus. Luckily the whole thing has (without stuff docked to it) around 10 km/s of delta-v.

ksp%20ddsm%202.png

The lander comes packed with a full science package (although I might have lost the thermometer somewhere) as usual. I barely managed to cram everything essential into it.

It has a small cylindrical supplies container and 2 small recyclers. Probably enough to prevent kerbonauts from complaining for 30 days.

The main means of landing are the parachutes in the four small utility bays beneath the nosecones. Two pairs of regular and drogue chutes are in the main payload bay to ensure it lands on the right end (this was a problem when I tested it on Kerbin).

At the moment it will be idle for at least 50 days. It will bring one Kerbal down to Duna, probably a scientist. The second seat will remain empty as a mobile base (not shown) will be landed with an engineer who will repair the wheels after landing.

ksp%20ddsm%203.png

Between the lander and the actual Antares is an ad hoc solution to a problem I discovered. The very efficient big recycler of the Antares only supports 3 kerbals. That is one problem. The other is that the small radial gardening modules effectively can grow only convert one kerbal's worth of waste mulch into supplies. I had 4 with 5 kerbals. So while they were derping around the Mun for about a year they ate through a lot of supplies and lost a bit off mulch as there was no way to process it or store it.

I launched a re-supply ship that was docked as an extra hydroponics/supply module between the lander and the Antares proper and you can see here. It came with extra supplies, two gardening domes, fertilizer and a bunch of empty containers for waste. It is possible I will leave it as a re-supply depot in orbit. However I will soon research the K&K algae farm so it might make the depot redundant as I might end up building a self-sustaining farming outpost on Ike.

ksp%20ddsm%204.png

In hindsight it might have been better to launch the Antares in two parts but I managed to get it into LKO in one piece. It has room for 5 kerbals with the lab. Having a lab on a deep space ship is a very good idea. While waiting for a transfer window you have two scientists process the data and deliver lots of science without needing to desperately look of untapped biomes or getting everything back to Kerbin.

The Antares also has the second (and best available so far to me) relay mostly to help with any gaps in comm coverage wherever it is stationed.

The lithium fuel tanks also have some radial docking ports and KAS fuel ports for easy refuelling.

ksp%20ddsm%205.png

Speaking of Lithium, this is the engine section of the Antares. It is powered by 2 Garnet nuclear reactors delivering a total of 800 EC/s when at full power. The radiators are sufficient to keep them cool, although I think it is in part because I use them economically. They are only set to full power during burns. In all other times only one reactor toggled to 3 or 5% output is used to preserve nuclear fuel (it is expensive and needs an engineer on board to transfer).

Even with two reactors the single MPD thruster is not powered enough to run at full thrust but only about 80%, which is sufficient. Overall with full lithium tanks it would take over an hour of burning to deplete the tanks and output the 10 km/s of delta-v the ship has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom