Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Order of the Thorne - new game from Infamous Quests

Ringhausen

Augur
Why was HQ released for free anyway?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think its really sad that people are genuinely discussing if HQ had an impact of QFI not selling well. What you are basically saying is that this niche is so small that it can't support two games (one of them is FREE game) released at around same time. If we are to assume that then this genre basically has no commercial future.
Sad as it is, they were the only new entries in a genre(adventure-RPG hybrid) that has what, the qfgs and now these? Comparison was inevitable yo.
Why was HQ released for free anyway?
That's what Crystal shard does, Freeware for fun.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I think is that the price tag killed it. A game like this should usually be around 10 or 15 bucks on Steam and GoG, but as far as I've read here, the publisher decided to price it higher, while Blackthorne actually wanted to price it lower. Also shit like putting it in bundles where each sale only gives a couple of cents way too early, which is also retarded. Even a 90% off sale is better than getting your game into a bundle too early.

Yeah, sounds a lot like the main issue was shitty publisher not knowing wtf they're doing.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Advertising is hard for niche/indie games. I know a lot of people actually like old-school adventure games, but they rarely know about them. I still get messages when people pick up QFI on a GoG or Steam sale - usually like "I didn't even know this existed! Awesome!" Advertising is really where most AAA games spend their money. Like, GTA for example - I once read that the production budget on the game was something like $100mil - wow, right? But the advertising budget was like $120 mil!! They spent more advertising the game than developing it! I should have had a separate Kickstarter to raise money JUST for advertising the game, eh? Hahah... live and learn.

Bt

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
just finished OToT: TKC

it was a nice small game, a bit easy on the side but i welcome it very well. sad to see the company goes, but at least we will get fortress of fire and roehm of ruin still. sad the genre is really quite dead :(

Wapcaplet

Educated
There is an updated version of Quest for Infamy under development that they're referring to as v2.0, but it's not a new game -- just code cleanup and bug fixing, I believe.

The last update I saw about a real QFI 2 didn't sound very encouraging:http://www.infamous-quests.com/forum/index.php?topic=2121.0

Yeah, I had written a treatment and outline for QFI 2 shortly after QFI's release. There's a story to be told, but who knows if we'll be able to get to tell it. QFI was a pretty special, seemingly once in a lifetime thing. Stars aligned right at one time in life, and we got to make it. Dunno if that opportunity will come again.

Hopefully Blackthorne will pop in and provide an update.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah, I've been working on finishing up Roehm to Ruin, finally, as of late. It's a short prequel game to Quest for Infamy; Shawn, my co-writer/producer in all of this, and I have an outline and ideas for QFI 2, and who knows, maybe in our spare time over the next decade we'll make it. But that's a hobby project for sure.

We are doing an update to QFI, a v2.0, which offers some graphical changes and some bugfixes, nothing huge. I have also been working on a v2.0 of our Space Quest II remake, which basically has some minor graphical fixes and a few little fun surprises.

We should be rolling RtR and SQII out this Q1 2018 - and then I can dive into finishing Fortress of Fire for Order of the Thorne.

Bt

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Have you guys thought about going back to Kickstarter for a QFI2, or would it not be sufficient money to make it feasible/desirable to do the game in less than 10 years? :/

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah, the Kickstarter well is really dead for adventure games. Honestly, the draw of Kickstarter seemed to be not really just the games one made, but the swag offered too. Doing the merch, shipping, etc. has been such a headache for all involved, I wouldn't offer it on a new Kickstarter (Digital Rewards only), and ultimately you just won't get as many funds. I just don't think there's enough interest in what we do to offer it on Kickstarter, at a reasonable tier, say $10. We could do QFI2 on an ultra-low budget like $50,000-$100,000, but I just don't think we could attract 5,000-10,000 backers to provide that kind of funding at a reasonable rate for a digital download. We had 1,656 backers on QFI.... Thimbleweed Park, for example, had 15,000. The numbers just aren't there.

Doing it at our pace, on our own mostly and with some donated time and work from friends, is pretty much how we'd be able to do a game the size of QFI2 at this point. We could get it done quicker with a budget, but - heh - you could say that about most things!

Bt

Lambonius

Infamous Quests
Developer
Doing it at our pace, on our own mostly and with some donated time and work from friends, is pretty much how we'd be able to do a game the size of QFI2 at this point. We could get it done quicker with a budget, but - heh - you could say that about most things!

I really hope to play QFI2 one day, preferably without having to do any work on it.

Actually, I take that back. I'd be all about doing the background sketches, and letting someone else paint them into finished pieces. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom