Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
fuck everything. i give in.

i just started playing (for first time ever) a souls game. I removed from inventory Dark Souls prepare to die cuck edition and am creating char this very moment as i type.

i need a fucking break from rpgs (turn based ones i mean). i need something different. i went with this one even though you all know i consider it a casual mario-type game and not a real RPG as so many like it and praise it and the action looks good from the gameplay videos, seems to have good atmosphere, etc.

i'll blog-post my experience playing it right here with video. because obviously i know this is all incredibly itneresting for you guys! :)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But guys, poise in DS3. Thought it was just turned off. Now I read that there's something called 'active poise' which affects 'hyperarmour' and in general stuff that is NOT DISPLAYED fucking anywhere. Is there a readable guide to it on the net? I only found some reddit tables and a few pages of commentary on the wiki (and reddit) which were clearly not written with explanation in mind.

Oh boy you learned about the poise just now? You've missed out on an epic drama.

In short, poise now ONLY strenghtens your hyperamour while attacking with slow, heavy weapons. With high poise you're less likely to be interrupted, that's it. No other effect. (Can't remember if hyperarmour was infinite in DS1 and DS2 or you could be interrupted with enough force).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i can do action games, i mean i been playing FG's for years (and a few SHMUPS), but i haven't played anything non-FG or non-turn-based (or RTwSawyer) in almost an entire decade.

prolly last action game i played that wasn't fg/shmup was hotline miami which was awesome.

btw, my char is high on speed/agi (or whatever the fuck those stats are referred to here), intentionally decided to pump only those and want to LARP play as a spear-chucking light-armor, no-magic-using fucker. so far so good!

am uploading video of this magical scenario i describe. honestly speaking tho, i am enjoying it very much! the "feel" of the animations is very satisfying, as in the way movement "matters" and it's not some retarded floor-rolling tech demo where "defense skillz" = mashing roll button.

i gave up on being "non-armor" and picked up a shield and am currently trying to see if the game will "let me" play in a true way, as in historically accurate "hide-behind-shield-peek-out-with-spear" way.

so far seems so! i won't post again until the videos are up as i don't want to hype shit up too much before even having played past beginning area.

EDIT: by the "feel" of animations i mean stuff like how attacks seem to be frame-dependant, blocking can benefit from "just-frame" button presses, etc. makes me feel almost like it's a FG.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yes, DS games are extremelly well made and deep systems-wise. I mostly despised action games too but DS1 was like a revelation for me. If you had to play one action game in a decade, or even life, Dark Souls would be a clear no brainer.

Just fyi, the more prestigious DS fans generally consider DS1 the best and DS3 the worst in the series but on its own DS3 still towers over other action RPGs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
heh, my first Dark Souls obsctacle:

i don't have a pad, and (yes i downloaded DSfix) my mouse sucks ass, so i decided to play it using my arcade stick. i am using an autohotkey script that maps one of the buttons to turn a lil bit to the right (as if you had just thumbed the right analog to the right a little bit), and same for the left w/ another of the buttons.

that leaves me 6 buttons, as the stick as 8 total (not counting the impractical-to-use-for-this start/select/mode buttons).

i got lock on on light-kick button, item on medium-punch button, and remapped using joy2key the "mode" button (switches the arcade lever between d-pad/r-stick/l-stick) to heavy-kick button, THEN i made an autohotkey script which triggers that button once when i double tap the lever down

then another script that trigger the re-mapped mode button TWICE (so as to land on r-stick) when i double-tap arcade lever twice upwards

and lastly a final script that triggers the mode button three times (to land on l stick) when i double-tap quickly to the left.

oh, and one more script that triggers the mode button four times (to cycle back to "d-pad") when i double tap right.

uhhh well, so far i gotta say it's definitely a "learning curve" but it's 10x more enjuoyable than using my shitty mouse + shitty keyboard!

man, this experience has made me want to do a custom mod as follows:

- imagine an arcade stick board with the normal 8 face buttons and all that, arcade lever as normal, then on far right of the stick-board a TRACK PAD. (or a track-ball, if you want, depends). i first thought about modding a 2nd arcade lever on the other side of the stick board but that would require too much hand manipulation and this game requires one hand always hovering over the buttons during combat, not gripping a second stick, so i think a track-PAD would work best.

most fighting only requires locking on and using the "d-pad" only requires the double-tapping motions i configured via joy2key + autohotkey scripts to quickly access those functions. only thing that needs work is emulating the r-stick's camera movement, and that modded in track-pad onto the stick board would do the trick.

hehe, can't be that hard. gonna rip out a track pad from an old lap top, probbaly fuck it up in the process, but have fun doing the attempt.

EDIT: example... i'm walking around normally, suddenly i notice enemy on my right so i hit the button that tilts the camera to the right a lil bit, if more is necessary i hit the button more times (benefit of arcade stick buttons, as responsive as can be), so on and so forth; i hit lock-on button and once this is done no real need to "move the r-stick" much.

if i need to access something that is, say, on DPAD "UP", then (while fighting/etc) I do the double-tap in the corresponding direction to change to dpad then hit UP and hit necessary button (i.e. item) and then quickly double tap the direction which will cycle back to L-stick.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, DS games are extremelly well made and deep systems-wise. I mostly despised action games too but DS1 was like a revelation for me. If you had to play one action game in a decade, or even life, Dark Souls would be a clear no brainer.

Just fyi, the more prestigious DS fans generally consider DS1 the best and DS3 the worst in the series but on its own DS3 still towers over other action RPGs.

DS3 the worst? I thought DS2 was worst.

sullynathan

Arcane
aweigh You should play Demon's Souls first, trust me.

DS3 the worst? I thought DS2 was worst.
demons souls is the worst.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

i don't have a pad, and (yes i downloaded DSfix) my mouse sucks ass, so i decided to play it using my arcade stick. i am using an autohotkey script that maps one of the buttons to turn a lil bit to the right (as if you had just thumbed the right analog to the right a little bit), and same for the left w/ another of the buttons.

that leaves me 6 buttons, as the stick as 8 total (not counting the impractical-to-use-for-this start/select/mode buttons).

i got lock on on light-kick button, item on medium-punch button, and remapped using joy2key the "mode" button (switches the arcade lever between d-pad/r-stick/l-stick) to heavy-kick button, THEN i made an autohotkey script which triggers that button once when i double tap the lever down

then another script that trigger the re-mapped mode button TWICE (so as to land on r-stick) when i double-tap arcade lever twice upwards

and lastly a final script that triggers the mode button three times (to land on l stick) when i double-tap quickly to the left.

oh, and one more script that triggers the mode button four times (to cycle back to "d-pad") when i double tap right.

uhhh well, so far i gotta say it's definitely a "learning curve" but it's 10x more enjuoyable than using my shitty mouse + shitty keyboard!

- imagine an arcade stick board with the normal 8 face buttons and all that, arcade lever as normal, then on far right of the stick-board a TRACK PAD. (or a track-ball, if you want, depends). i first thought about modding a 2nd arcade lever on the other side of the stick board but that would require too much hand manipulation and this game requires one hand always hovering over the buttons during combat, not gripping a second stick, so i think a track-PAD would work best.

most fighting only requires locking on and using the "d-pad" only requires the double-tapping motions i configured via joy2key + autohotkey scripts to quickly access those functions. only thing that needs work is emulating the r-stick's camera movement, and that modded in track-pad onto the stick board would do the trick.

hehe, can't be that hard. gonna rip out a track pad from an old lap top, probbaly fuck it up in the process, but have fun doing the attempt.

EDIT: example... i'm walking around normally, suddenly i notice enemy on my right so i hit the button that tilts the camera to the right a lil bit, if more is necessary i hit the button more times (benefit of arcade stick buttons, as responsive as can be), so on and so forth; i hit lock-on button and once this is done no real need to "move the r-stick" much.

if i need to access something that is, say, on DPAD "UP", then (while fighting/etc) I do the double-tap in the corresponding direction to change to dpad then hit UP and hit necessary button (i.e. item) and then quickly double tap the direction which will cycle back to L-stick.
Pfft, scrub. I beat the game using a two button controller by mapping all possible inputs into a binary sequence. While blindfolded. And drunk. While having sex. With your mom.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I finished Dark Souls keyboard only.

And considering I'm physically disabled...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
i gave up on being "non-armor" and picked up a shield and am currently trying to see if the game will "let me" play in a true way, as in historically accurate "hide-behind-shield-peek-out-with-spear" way.

so far seems so!
As you've no doubt realized, shield and armor are two separate concepts in the Souls games. Shields in general are very effective (as long as you remember to lower the shield to regain stamina quickly), so much so that many skilled Souls players look down on those who rely on shields. Heavy armor is also useful in Dark Souls for damage reduction and increasing poise (contra Demon's Souls, where heavy armor wasn't worth the weight), but it's certainly viable to go with light or even no armor.

Though if you have a PS3 you could play Demon's Souls first, as it's the best Souls game anyway.

And I'm not sure why didn't you post this in the actual Dark Souls thread rather than the thread for fifth Souls game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I think the most important with playing Dark Souls is going blind. (Aside of looking at possible bugs like in Solair quest line.)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The atmosphere in these games is really great. DS1 also has genius world design. A gift the devs apparently lost in following entries. So I think you'll have fun.
The "turtle" build is certainly very valid, even moreso with a spear. But considering how rewarding the impact feels in these games, personally I prefer Ultra Greatswords. For example Zweihander will reliably "pancake" almost every enemy with it's R2 attack. Stone Giants may need 2 attacks to fall flat. The attack also happens to have more reach then most enemies...

Make sure you overscale the game resolution. It's not a demanding game and it looks 4x sharper and better then.

I admire your creativity regarding the control scheme and dedication. However playing a Souls game with lock-on? Heresy!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The atmosphere in these games is really great. DS1 also has genius world design. A gift the devs apparently lost in following entries.

Not really "lost". More like they willfuly ignored what everyone was telling them left and right: open-world design in DS1 great, linear design in DS2 hateful. After hearing that they made DS3 even more linear than DS2. That is not a case of someone losing a gift, that is....hell, I don't even know. Maybe Miyazaki thinking "meh, they don't know what's good for them, imma give them a linear world cuz I'm, like, a great artist and sheeet and I know best".

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wouldn't say DS3 is more linear then DS2. I mean there aren't any of those silly statue roadblock crossroads, but at least some areas wrap together nicely and have internal shortcuts - like the castle.
It was just a huge mistake to give warp ability to the players from the start and make areas detached from each other and only reachable trough warping.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Also, the beginning, if you don't want to go to the middle-game-boss-fight immediately, is kinda linear. Firelink -> Walls -> Undead Settlement -> Road of Sacrifices and only then you can branch a bit. Still, if you don't care about items you can run this quickly, yes...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If they truly cared to make DS3 into something amazing, legendary and special they would've created a DS1 world on steroids - one that completely wraps into itself in so many shocking ways to give us a raging hardon for a year, and not just a few pathetic drab shortcuts everyone could see coming from an AU away.

It's just another sign of their total disinterest in anything other than a competent rehash of old tropes without a shred of some extra effort to grab a fat fistful of quick moolah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom