Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Urbanolo

Augur
Blackit seems to be more of an anxiety issue in his opinion. like yeah OK, i ain't gonna argue with that, it's all probably true

Do you get panic attacks? (It's that thing where all the symptoms seem like a heart attack, but it goes on for 20 minutes and then you're fine again). I used to have those, my whole family does actually. It's a Panic Disorder. I managed to get rid of mine with Clonazepame (now illegal in most countries) and Paroxetine over the course of 3 months. Of course, you'll have to go to the mind doctor for those...

P.S. This topic is not what I expected it to be xD Sorry Macbeth!

Psychiatrists usually use Alprazolam instead of Clonazepam for symptomatic use in panic disorder treatment though (at least in Poland). You can consider yourself lucky that it only took 3 months of SSRI treatment to get you cured though, it usually takes longer, years even with regular psychotherapy sessions.

Drog Black Tooth consider visiting a psychiatrist, or if you are stubborn go to your GP and maybe get a prescription for a beta blocker if you are not willing to change your lifestyle (but first give me those sweet Arcanum mods).

hell bovine

Arcane
Black, nah bro sorry to disappoint you but i'm still alive

went to see a doctor today, he said that yeah i do have a crazy tachycardia, my heart rate is like 120 bpm, but eh, the heart itself is fine, so it has to be something else

like i should probably stop binge drinking

and chain smoking and vaping

especially while eating at a calorie deficit

and even so, it seems to be more of an anxiety issue in his opinion

like yeah ok, i ain't gonna argue with that, it's all probably true
You can't croak before finishing your work! :/

But if you feel like chatting about anxiety, plenty of crazies around here. (including myself)

SymbolicFrank

Magister
You have to run the trainer as administrator for it to work. This was made in the Windows XP days, so :M

This is also one of the reasons why I'm remaking the UAP. There's plenty of quirks to take care of when running the game on modern systems.
Thanks, Drog. That works great :)

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Well, you're not the only one who is a lonely nerd who had it bad. Far from it, on this forum. It isn't easy for me, either.

The thing is: if you give up, the only one who loses is you. Better to say: "Fuck you!" and just do whatever pleases you. It can only get better.

McPlusle

Savant
Are there any mods that make the UI look more presentable than default at higher resolutions (proper bordering, etc) or should I just play in the default res? Because for some reason seeing the UI how it looks at my native res just bugs me.

Poseidon

Educated
Are there any mods that make the UI look more presentable than default at higher resolutions (proper bordering, etc) or should I just play in the default res? Because for some reason seeing the UI how it looks at my native res just bugs me.

What's your native res? If it's 1920x1080, then I'm surprised that it's the UI bugging you and not the game's scaling. I'd say go for 1280x720, using the HiRes menu in the Config.exe

Applying additional mods over Multiverse is not recommended as it would (almost) always break something.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Not much you can do about the UI, the game engine doesn't support any scaling, so the best you can do is just center everything and add black borders/backgrounds where appropriate.

However, in the next release of the high resolution patch the middle menus will be attached to the top panel, check the screenshots on the previous page.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Can you add borders to the top part (panel and menus included) like the bottom part has?
Like this:
BAtQBeP.jpg

Though with such borders I'd say it could look better if they were centered.

Anyway, speaking of scaling... made me think, what did they do with those sprites that are so obviously scaled up, pixelated versions of the smaller ones (some golems and most notably that big giant white spider), did they scale them in the game or they had separate sprites for them?

McPlusle

Savant
Those borders are all it takes to finally sell me on playing this game in high-res. That looks so much better.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
FeelTheRads, nice mock up bro.

There's actually an existing Russian mod that adds borders, but it simply draws them over the menus, like so:
l1abCEN.jpg

I'm not really in favor of it, but your idea about drawing the borders outside the UI elements is way better. I actually really like it and have made another mock up, how about this:
zPXwHbb.jpg

I can actually implement this in the code. Like in a day or so. Yay/nay/meh?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I definitely prefer it over the one that just looks like it's been cropped. But I wonder if it wouldn't look better if you just centered it on the screen, maybe together with the top bar. As it is, it looks weird to me just hanging there from the top of the screen. But it's your mod, so your choice.

By the way, did you find any solution for the main menu? Does it still show up the bottom UI and is it still just small and in the center? Maybe that would look better with some kind of borders too.

Edit: wait I'm retarded, can't center it together with the top bar since that needs to be on all the time.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
By the way, did you find any solution for the main menu? Does it still show up the bottom UI and is it still just small and in the center? Maybe that would look better with some kind of borders too.
In my current build I'm simply turning the UI off while in the main menu. The Russian fork (yes, they did fork my patch, while I was sleeping at the bottom of the bottle all these years) simply patches the actual main menu background image to be exactly your resolution. Both achieve the same purpose, but my solution doesn't require tinkering with the files.

Since only the tree-background of the UI needs a new border, I prefer the russian version (the first picture).
Well, that's the thing, you have to add borders to the top bar as well, so that it doesn't look weird. But I suppose I could simply extend the metallic part of it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Anyway, I really like FeelTheRads solution, I'm actually coding it right now. Turns out there is not much to code, most UI elements positions stay the same.

Anyway bros, here's how YOU can help. I'm doing 5 px borders, to both the top bar (which is 800x41 pixels) and the middle menu (which is 800x400), so the resulting images are 810x41 and 810x405.

If you don't like my current borders (as in the above screenshot), please propose better versions. Or fuck it, draw them yourself, post PNGs.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
OK, I've set on this for a while, what about this variant. No top border like in the Ruskie version, yet it doesn't go over the original UI size. Also I don't need to code shit for this.

4sQDBER.jpg

Poseidon

Educated
I find it hard to believe a border you won't even be staring at for that long is something people are so concerned with. It legit took me 5 minutes to even notice what are the differences between those images, but in the end, I think I like Drog's mockup from this post (the second picture):
FeelTheRads, nice mock up bro.

There's actually an existing Russian mod that adds borders, but it simply draws them over the menus, like so:
l1abCEN.jpg

I'm not really in favor of it, but your idea about drawing the borders outside the UI elements is way better. I actually really like it and have made another mock up, how about this:
zPXwHbb.jpg

I can actually implement this in the code. Like in a day or so. Yay/nay/meh?

To answer your question, you get a Yay from me.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Looks good to me, though I would've kept the colors from the first one which are closer to what the bottom UI has. I don't know what you did, but for example in my mockup I just copy/pasted pieces from the bottom UI.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Looks good to me, though I would've kept the colors from the first one which are closer to what the bottom UI has.
The bottom bar is a darker shade of wood, so that wouldn't look quite right

I don't know what you did, but for example in my mockup I just copy/pasted pieces from the bottom UI.
I made a layer in Photoshop with three colors (outer border, inner border, middle part) and set it to 80% Soft Light blending, so that the original texture would add to the effect.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Since all the art critics are here today, how about you fags take a look at these:
nDzP4Zx.png
PI0dQBG.png

There are 4 types of barbarian armor in the game, dark grey (Dread Armor), grey (White Barbarian Clothes, gold (Bronze Barbarian Clothes) and red (Red Barbarian Clothes). Problem is, there was no difference in look between the small and mid size versions, bronze was always small while the other 3 types were always big. I've retouched the sprites to match all 8 versions.

What do you think?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom