Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I am also one of the people who thought that they would be making Arx Fatalis 2 when it became Messiah of Might & Magic - an action game.
The point was that now they have no creative freedom and are condemned forever to popamol games.
The proof is Prey - best game among the worst games that imitate System Shock.

Israfael

Arcane
I would not say it's that popamolified - sure, there's no stats and weapon restrictions, but it still is challenging and probably more free-form that the original SS2. Enemies are harder to defeat, especially since there's no I WIN ' adrenaline + crystal + melee perks" combo that allows you to conserve ammo / healthkits (maybe Typhon powers are OP, but I played without them so I can't really say). And you may believe this or not, but they said to the journos that they did not care about the audience when they made this game (which made me think of Prey as a sort of retirement gift for Raf who is getting close to that retirement age line for game devs). If modders or Arkane themselves get us survival mode, it'd be actually more complex than SS2

Parabalus

Arcane
I would not say it's that popamolified - sure, there's no stats and weapon restrictions, but it still is challenging and probably more free-form that the original SS2. Enemies are harder to defeat, especially since there's no I WIN ' adrenaline + crystal + melee perks" combo that allows you to conserve ammo / healthkits (maybe Typhon powers are OP, but I played without them so I can't really say). And you may believe this or not, but they said to the journos that they did not care about the audience when they made this game (which made me think of Prey as a sort of retirement gift for Raf who is getting close to that retirement age line for game devs). If modders or Arkane themselves get us survival mode, it'd be actually more complex than SS2

I don't like stats or weapon restrictions in this type of game since it lowers player skill influence and moves it to character building, I play RPGs for that and not FPS.

Pray neuromods have a large influence on the effectiveness of strategies but a lack of them doesn't really lock you out of too much, which is very good design.

I bought this game, damned addictive. It is much too easy though, I'm playing on nightmare and I have more than 30 medkits stashed and around a thousand of several ammo types. Reminds me of botw in terms of difficulity, it's sorta tricky for the first hour or two then you simply have too much stuff and it goes downhill fast. Quite like it anyway.

Do you seriously have 1000+ shotgun shells? I haven't used any medkits(40+) myself but I'm quite low on gun ammo since I don't want to waste neuromods by fabricating stuff.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I like DRM-free too, but
I don't even know what Denuvo is. What is it? Some copy protection? That's like saying I am not buying your game because I have to use a code wheel. What's wrong with it?
It's anti tamper protection, prevents the real drm from getting hacked.

There's a legit reason to be suspicious of it, and that is it's quite likely a performance drain. Just another day of fucking over legit customers to try and fuck pirates(which won't work).

I bought this game, damned addictive. It is much too easy though, I'm playing on nightmare and I have more than 30 medkits stashed and around a thousand of several ammo types. Reminds me of botw in terms of difficulity, it's sorta tricky for the first hour or two then you simply have too much stuff and it goes downhill fast. Quite like it anyway.
Afaik Denuovo does not impact performance, or it does in such tiny terms that is is not measurable.
While I of course vastly prefer DRM-free, as someone who buys games (since I am not a social case and like supporting good devs) I own over 15 games with Denuovo and have yet to encounter a problem with it. Starforce, this is not.
Still, would be nice if all games released on GOG day one. Maybe one day.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Do you seriously have 1000+ shotgun shells? I haven't used any medkits(40+) myself but I'm quite low on gun ammo since I don't want to waste neuromods by fabricating stuff.
Nah, only 50ish shotgun shells. ~1000 of gloop, stun and qbeam ammo.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Afaik Denuovo does not impact performance, or it does in such tiny terms that is is not measurable.

If it indeed just obfuscates the executable, there should be a performance hit, but only a minor one.

What it exactly does is not known and probably more sophisticated. But lets say you compare this to a book. Denuvo would not only encrypt the words but also tear up the pages and put them in an arbitrary order. That's just a general comparison, but the idea is to make it as hard as possible to decrypt and interpret the binary without the proper key.

Another comparison was that programs often have a complex protection mechanism but at the end many programmers put only 1 function at the start and call it "if !CheckLicense()" or something
That means a hacker only needs to remove this one call and the program will run. Of course if you have thought about this yourself you start putting the checks in many different places and give it cryptic, and often harmless looking names. Some people for example have hidden some of the bits in bitmaps for example. And I think Denuvo has taken up this idea and makes it to an art.

baturinsky

Arcane
Firearms ammo is prohibitevly rare/expensive. There is no much mineral resources lying around, and nanomod fabrication eats most of it.
Currently I have 2 levels both in wrench and slow mo, and it's enough to wrench most enemies.

Also, I LOVE recycler grenades.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Makes sense, not like I want to play more games like this. Fuck developers!
I'd rather not play more games like this than support always online Denuvo DRM shit.
It's not "always online", though. You can play completely offline just fine.

The Denuvo/DRM thing is a valid complaint, though. They really shoot themselves in the foot by not putting this out on GOG instead.
Quick question, do you dig in trash cans for cotton candy in this game?
Cotton Candy? No, there's no cotton candy.

But there's other candy, so yeah. pretty much.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If they put it on GOG everyone would pirate it! I pirate every game on GOG that I don't super care about because it's just too damn easy...

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just finished it so now I can go back and read this thread that I find surprisingly spoiler-light.

Also surprised to see most people enjoying it as much as I did. First FPS I've played through from start to finish in a while and for me, best game of 2017 so far. Yes, giving the capacity to make neuromods was a bit of a cop-out as it drastically reduced the chance of me ever playing through it again, but I can see why they did. Would have been nice if the license idea was impossible to circumvent and they were limited from the fabricator.

Played on Hard from start to finish and found the difficulty just about right, although as others have said anything that stunned seemed a bit OP, as did the 'mindjack powers'.
Mindjacking the nightmare and turning him against the killer operators was quite fun. (Robots won.)

Liked all the side quests, did them all apart from the treasure hunts in different zones. Liked the interconnectivity of the station and thought the level design was very good.

Wasn't overly keen on the ending.
I picked the null wave option, but from the after credits scene I imagine it probably wouldn't have played out much differently if I blew it up. Wanted something a bit more... fulfilling after completing it, not, well, not what we got. Still, can't grumble too much for how much I enjoyed playing it.

Glad I bought it and feel like I got my money's worth.

Parabalus

Arcane
Nah, only 50ish shotgun shells. ~1000 of gloop, stun and qbeam ammo.

I have about the same, don't really feel that that is much though. You can easily pop 20+ shells in a room of typhons if you just gun them down.

Dark Messiah was their worst game. No thanks.

There is no game that did first person melee combat in a way as satisfying as Dark Messiah did. Dishonored melee is basically a copy paste.

Question:
I didn't do the side quest December offers you immediately, and apparently January nixed her, the quest is still active though. Do I miss out on anything if I do it now?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If they put it on GOG everyone would pirate it! I pirate every game on GOG that I don't super care about because it's just too damn easy...
I may have possibly pretty much "pirated" it already on Day 1. The only difference here now is that I'm hesitant to ever grab it because it's Steam/Denuvo. The vast majority of pirated copies are from people that would not be customers anyway, or that becomes customers. Popularization is a lot more important than the few sales you may or may not lose due to piracy.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Question:
I didn't do the side quest December offers you immediately, and apparently January nixed her, the quest is still active though. Do I miss out on anything if I do it now?
January instantly takes care of December regardless of what time in the game you enter the foyer, so you don't really miss out on anything.

So yes? This is primarily a ransacking game?
In Dead Secret, the VR murder mystery game I’m building with my team at Robot Invader, exploration of the environment is the primary mode of play. There is no combat or health, but we do have other sorts of items, and you’ll need to search every room throughly to find them all.
You fucking linked an article by some walk sim dev hipster.
:killit:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Playing on normal and have my ass kicked all the time. I always run out of medkits and armor and weapons don't do shit on enemies. I really suck at this game. Do you have any tips?

Parabalus

Arcane
Playing on normal and have my ass kicked all the time. I always run out of medkits and armor and weapons don't do shit on enemies. I really suck at this game. Do you have any tips?

Use your wrench. Sneak near and hit them with a charged strike, they will get stunned then you whack them to death. If a phantom doesn't die in one rotation (until you're out of stamina), run behind a corner, restealth and repeat. You can spin like as if you were headless with a wrench because as long as you don't hit anything it doesn't drain stamina.

Security weapons are really inefficient until you get several upgrades. Basically if you have to fabricate ammo you are losing one neuromod of mineral material, you're killing enemies by throwing money at them.

Nirvash

Liturgist
What fail this game are the crap enemies, all 3 of them. (i dream for someone to mod in the original prey fucked up monsters)
Mimics are just a cheap infinite jump scare and a pain in the ass.

Liking the weapons, the foam thing need to be in every single fps.

Tossing stuff aim is a bit bullshit.

I can see system shock in it but the atmosfere/dread is just not here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom