Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
What game is this?

NVM: Google Image got it for me, it's Valkyrie Profile Mystina... ?

I've never heard of it.

EDIT 2: I'm an idiot, the game is Valkyrie Profile, that character is Mystina.

Full title would be Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Looks like the PSP Version. Criminally underrated.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Full title would be Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Looks like the PSP Version. Criminally underrated.

One of the best Enix rpgs, imo. Lezard Valeth is one of my all time favorite jrpg villains.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
One of the best Enix rpgs, imo. Lezard Valeth is one of my all time favorite jrpg villains.
Lezard is a fucking boss.

The most interesting thing about the game is that it should suck thanks to a couple of features that simply don't work in other games, like having to constantly sacrifice party-members, the time-limit that makes exploration a mess and doesn't allow for completing all dungeons, having new members start at level 1 when you are level 20 (at least on hard) and having a True ending that you simply wont be able to get without consulting a FAQ. But for some reason it just works. The story is a lot more mature compared to most jRPGs, especially those that got released back then. Having to witness every potential party-member die before you can recruit them was kinda fun. On the other hand having to play for close to 2 hours before you can save the game the first time was a pain in the ass.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Lezard is a fucking boss.

The most interesting thing about the game is that it should suck thanks to a couple of features that simply don't work in other games, like having to constantly sacrifice party-members, the time-limit that makes exploration a mess and doesn't allow for completing all dungeons, having new members start at level 1 when you are level 20 (at least on hard) and having a True ending that you simply wont be able to get without consulting a FAQ. But for some reason it just works. The story is a lot more mature compared to most jRPGs, especially those that got released back then. Having to witness every potential party-member die before you can recruit them was kinda fun. On the other hand having to play for close to 2 hours before you can save the game the first time was a pain in the ass.

Oh yeah, I don't know if I'd say those were successful, seeing as the game didn't do that well and doesn't have a large following, but they're bearable, and at least you can get the characters back later on. Last time I played was the psp version, thought the cutscenes were out of place but other than that it was a solid port. I'm honestly surprised I liked the game to begin with, considering a lot of it is just reading walls of text, but the stories of each character's death were interesting enough and the main villain (Lezard), once he got going, was fun to watch. His motives were great, other than wanting to become a God, he just wanted to fuck Valkyrie. VP2's story is really cool too, since he's basically a main character and it's a sequel masquerading as a prequel. I need to play VP2 again, has been a very long time.

Another thing I liked about VP was the voice work (especially the spell verses, holy shit those were amazing) and the battle system, I think the latter is why I kept on going and beat it multiple times (got the good ending, and yeah I used a guide).

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Playing the original Planescape: Torment

ctkbO2d.png

eakckRO.png

I'll put up more pics when I get the chance. Also don't like playing it at higher resolutions as it's just too hard to see anything in the game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Provoking some in-fighting in Thief Gold.
Spider was able to "kill" the Zombie, but the poor Burricks' bad breath had no effect.
e3p3Z3E.jpg

Taff, those eight legged freaks can jump high!
MeHAVfJ.png

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
octavius
The one thing that really failed to age well in HL are environment textures that get really blurry up close (the only old FPSes that avoided that are Unreal engine games with their detail texturing).

Other than that it still looks p. cool and features very nice weapon feedback.
The Steam version of Half-Life actually looks worse than the retail version because the OpenGL renderer resizes all non power of 2 textures which there happen to be a lot of. Disabling texture filtering in OpenGL mode won't fix it either.
cmckkv.png
vontxn.jpg
sxkwdl.jpg
mcpcex.gif

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
The bug was reported in 2013 and was never fixed by Valve. Quake 1 and 2 actually had the same problem but source ports have fixed it for years while Valve sits on Goldsource making it worse :negative:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks like pixel art made by someone with actual respect to pixel art. Nice -- rare to find these days.

Bahamut

Arcane
I really wanted to like Muramasa, but it bored me to tears.

This is main issue with Vanilaware games is, eighter you like its core gameplay and get going or you quit

I guess i just like pretty 2d art :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom