Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

baturinsky

Arcane
I fail at this game's combat. It takes too much ammo to kill any serious enemy, such as elemental phantom etc. I'm afraid to go to Lobby, because there is a zoo of minibosses hanging there.
Are there nanomods that would make combat significantly more resource-effective?

Israfael

Arcane
Disruptor gun stuns everything, including weavers, and in that time (even if it's unupgraded) you can empty full clip of pistol or half shotgun into the creature you stunned

Parabalus

Arcane
Which typhon powers are worth spending neuromods on? I'm sitting on 20 unused mods currently , elected not to spend them since I can't decide.
How many can you install before you get bad effects?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
does the melee combat depend heavily on controller or M+Kb? It felt sluggish on a controller
Why the fuck would you play this with a controller? This is beyond fucking plebian, especially in a game that actually has a competent PC UI for once.

Disruptor gun stuns everything, including weavers, and in that time (even if it's unupgraded) you can empty full clip of pistol or half shotgun into the creature you stunned
There's a few things that don't get stunned. Notably, the Voltage Phantoms are completely immune, and the few times I tried to use the Disruptor on the Nightmare, I found that it had little to no effect. It's also fairly useless to use it against Mimics and Cystoids; the Mimics get stunned but it's usually not worth trying to stun them and you may just waste ammo if you miss, and I believe that the Cystoids just flat-out die anyway.

Which typhon powers are worth spending neuromods on? I'm sitting on 20 unused mods currently , elected not to spend them since I can't decide.
How many can you install before you get bad effects?
I haven't tried that many. All I can say is that Psychoschock is extremely powerful against a few different enemies, not only because some enemies takes a lot of extra damage from it, but also because it completely shuts down their psychic powers - blasting most things with it in an ambush fucks them over really, really bad. Phantoms can't zip away or throw psychic dodgeballs at you, Telepaths can't do anything and simply start fleeing, and Technopaths can't shut you down. The Nightmare takes a lot of extra damage from it too, and his fucking pass-through-everything homing rapeballs are locked down.

Already at Rank 2 (I believe) it will also instantly kill Mimics, and at Rank 3 it will instantly kill basic Phantoms (at least on Hard). The fact that it (like all psychic powers) also allows you to "pause" the game is insanely useful for surveying what's going on and take a second to think.

Remote Manipulation Rank 2-3 (1 is fairly useless) are also quite powerful, but not strictly necessary. It's really nice being able to push buttons and enter passcodes and use computers "close and personal" as well as hack things at a distance, through small holes (such as the openings on most security stations) or without having to leave your hidey-hole. It's just one of those really nice utility things, and 30 meters (Rank 3) is a long, long range. It also allows you to pick up items at that range, such as gas canisters and O2-bottles, which you can then throw at the enemy. I got a lot of mileage out of Remote Manipulation, but it rarely helps overly much with killing enemies.

I also got Mindjack, because I wanted to avoid killing civilians, but they only appear in, like, 2 places on the entire station, so it might not be worth it. It's powerful, at times, as you can get enemies fighting eachother. When used on civilians that have been brainwashed by a telepath, you don't take them over and they don't turn hostile to the typhons, they're just knocked out and go unconscious. I thought I'd mention that, because I hesitated in taking the skill because I was afraid they'd just die anyway after being freed or that they'd attack eachother.

Superthermal is good because _a lot_ of things are sensitive to fire damage, but there is no other way to do fire damage in the game, and it's also a "free" mine, which is useful because most enemies patrol, and it should still do "sneak attack" damage provided the enemy hasn't seen you (this also applies to grenades/mines in general).

Lastly, Kinetic Blast can be used to "Rocket Jump", which isn't explicitly listed as an aspect of the power, so I should mention it.

That's about what I know.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They could have charged $120 and it'd still be worth getting. Seeing a PC game this good and open and traditional in this day and age?

Especially from Arkane which I don't respect. Hated Dishonored with its stupid pointless OP powers and combat that felt good but was entirely without challenge. Good art design though.

ciox

Liturgist
http://farcrymods.freeforums.net/thread/498/volunteers-needed-testing-prey-mods

This guy has been posting some pretty incline mods for Prey that actually work, for one the survival trauma system is in and you can get hit with status effects now like concussion and third degree burns.

Bdsam0M.png

s60Hio9.png

Here's a pack with a few that I'm using currently (no enemy alert/presence indicators, survival trauma system) so you don't have to sign up at the Far Cry Mods forum like I did: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vv32uvyba44cl61/prey_mods.7z
The files go into Prey\GameSDK\Precache

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't even know what Denuvo is. What is it? Some copy protection? That's like saying I am not buying your game because I have to use a code wheel. What's wrong with it?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I don't even know what Denuvo is. What is it? Some copy protection? That's like saying I am not buying your game because I have to use a code wheel. What's wrong with it?

nothing you should concern yourself with, little goy, just enjoy your games :^)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's anti tamper protection, prevents the real drm from getting hacked.

There's a legit reason to be suspicious of it, and that is it's quite likely a performance drain. Just another day of fucking over legit customers to try and fuck pirates(which won't work).

I bought this game, damned addictive. It is much too easy though, I'm playing on nightmare and I have more than 30 medkits stashed and around a thousand of several ammo types. Reminds me of botw in terms of difficulity, it's sorta tricky for the first hour or two then you simply have too much stuff and it goes downhill fast. Quite like it anyway.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
As I understood it Denuvo is more of a sort of compiler that makes the executables extremely difficult to crack.

If this is the case then it's a surprise that people have not used this idea earlier. Because unprotected compiling is the equivalent of storing passwords in cleartext.

Sentinel

Arcane
Denuvo keeps the butthurt flowing despite having zero effect on the actual game's quality.

Whenever somebody threatens to waiver a purchase due to Denuvo, you know you're dealing with a sordid pirate, cracker, spoiled brat or poor Third worlder.
Why would you support anti-consumer software? It only fucks you in the butt. Are you Swedish by any chance?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Denuvo keeps the butthurt flowing despite having zero effect on the actual game's quality.

Whenever somebody threatens to waiver a purchase due to Denuvo, you know you're dealing with a sordid pirate, cracker, spoiled brat or poor Third worlder.
Why would you support anti-consumer software? It only fucks you in the butt. Are you Swedish by any chance?

I support game developers that I like. Period.

Sentinel

Arcane

I support game developers that I like. Period.
Even if those developers repeatedly show contempt for you? That's some Stockholm Syndrome right there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom