Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Low Magic Age: OGL Of The East - now available on Early Access

getter77

Augur
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813807038

https://www.lowmagicage.com

https://af.gog.com/game/low_magic_age?as=1649904300

Low Magic Age is a fantasy RPG that focused on turn-based, party-based tactical combat. The most unique feature of the combat system is various kinds of strategy elements, such as war fog, field of view, ZOC (zone of control), cover and flanking, etc.

The combat system of Low Magic Age is based upon the Open Game Licence 3.5 (OGL), the set of rules at the root of the famous pen-and-paper role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons v3.5, made by Wizards of the Coast.

In order to apply a set of rules designed for a pen-and-paper game to a computer game, many rules in the open game content had been adjusted or improved.

Normally, you'll create and customize a small party of 4~6 characters: choosing from seven races, three basic classes and ten class variants, dozens of feats and spells. And then fight with all kinds of monsters!
Features:
  • Inherited from classic game rules: Evolved from historic pen-and-paper game rules, plus well designed information display UI, clear prompt of hit percent and damage range, help players to learn and immerse in the fantasy world. The innovative combat system, flanking, charging, full-attack, etc., various circumstance bonuses bring more meaningful tactics selections.

• Classical fantasy monsters: 7 categories, 100+ classical fantasy monsters. Goblins, trolls, giant ants, basilisks and much much more. Different monsters need different strategies and tactics to defeat.

• Tons of equipment and wondrous items: 60+ common items, 90+ wondrous items, 80+ enchantments. Slashing, piercing and bludgeoning, different weapons against different monsters. Gloves of Dexterity, Counterstrike Bracers, Ring of Regeneration, Belt of Magnificence, Cloak of Thorns, Elemental Gem, collecting powerful magical artifacts to create the hero character in your mind.

• Well designed skills and spells: Fighters own a variety of martial arts movements, not only basic attacks. All of the arcane spells and divine spells of caster classes are greatly improved, too.
About graphics similarity with another game ToME4:
We purchased and used a tileset of monsters/items from the Norwegian artist Raymond E. Gaustadnes (Shockbolt). He made another tileset for ToME4. So, both tilesets share the similar style and a few same tiles.
Thanks to the Open Gaming License (OGL) from Wizards of the Coast:
It has been stated explicitly by Wizards of the Coast that anyone can make a computer game using the open game content under the terms of the OGL. The OGL can be viewed on the d20 System and OGL section of their official website, or the help system of this game.

Well, this is surprising!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Heck yeah, this sounds cool. And apparently an English version is also on the way, huh?
Definitely keeping an eye on this. A competitor to Knights of the Chalice? I suppose the AI and encounter design will decide on that.

Dorateen

Arcane
"The final pattern of this game will be turn-based tactical combat + adventure sandbox"

That's brilliant. Wonder why they call it Low Magic Age, though, or if there's something lost in the title's translation.

getter77

Augur
Hard to say, could be an intentional P&P nod/telegraph as Low Magic is something of a (setting) thing and they are clearly digging deep on the lot of this.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I was about to troll because low magic games suck cock, but this sounds great. I love TOME4.

laclongquan

Arcane
They have too much wasted screen space, and not make use of bigger portrait. There is no need of that much fog-of-war screen space . Actually, they fuck up fog of war mechanic, I think.

The inventory: items's graphical avatar are too blending in. They need to appear better recognizable.

The whole thing smell of smartphone developers making it for easier porting.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You need that much fog though, because if you use a spell like the eye from TOME4, it shows you enemies and areas at long range that you couldn't otherwise see. And some spells could hit that far too. I don't think I would enjoy playing a game like that on my phone though. Too small, touching those little boxes would be a PITA.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I see a lot of potential in this one, although it looks like it's not using an actual low magic setting. I hope the arena mode stuff is just that. Also, anyone want to make a bet on how awful will the translation be?

getter77

Augur
Well, they do mention having some of the folks that translated 3e/4e and whatnot to Chinese on hand, though I'm unfamiliar exactly how Asia beyond Japan played out back in the day compared to them abandoning Japan outright pretty early on in terms of materials and all else. The rough estimate on the speed of which they hope to do so is pretty ambitious given the amount of detail they are aspiring to, but I guess if it is ground well and truly trodden already by these folks then it could happen depending on their scripting setup and whatnot.

An early alpha Arena testbed with ridiculous scaling sounds about par for the course in terms of stress testing and plugging things in to see what erupts into flames and when---so hope still endures on that front as they solidify systems and work on content/campaign reckonings.

Tigranes

Arcane
Huh. So literally the letters for 'low', 'magical/demonic', and 'age'.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Saw it, was going to get it, but decided to wait until there's some sort of story implemented.

It really does look like an android game

getter77

Augur
Well, sure enough, English now also in the mix as of the latest update amidst other gains since----I guess this is where the momentum will start to swell.

Antigoon

Augur
The English translation is now complete includig all descriptive texts of stats, spells etc.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Still in early access and with no "adventure" campaign, but it's damn fun to make a D&D party and fight in the arena. It generates 4 random battles, and when you finish them you fight a "boss battle" and advance to the next tier, using the gold you get to buy stuff in the shop:

1zU6VgO.png

QOxtWye.png

8poz2uB.png

EKDgpG2.png

Dunno why we had to wait for a guy from China to have a goddamn Turn-based OGL game besides Knights of the Chalice, but I'm really glad this exists.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not sure about an editor, but they plan to offer full modding support. You can already edit a lot of stuff easily, just look at this nostalgic "mod" I made:

XQDi67o.png

getter77

Augur
The snippets of their hand drawn giant adventuring map look pretty good as well---plus hey, Barbarians implemented fairly recently as well.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I read that only melee works, archers cannot hit anything and spellcasting is based on cooldowns. And game lacks rogue skills so rogues are weak.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I read that only melee works, archers cannot hit anything and spellcasting is based on cooldowns. And game lacks rogue skills so rogues are weak.
Probably an old version. In what I played today archers work just fine, Wizard magic is working and dual-wielding rogues with sneak attack are very powerful.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, I forgot about this game. How cool is it? Worth a Codex curation yet?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hmm, I forgot about this game. How cool is it? Worth a Codex curation yet?
So far is more of a combat engine than a proper game... adventure mode is still about 6-10 months off.

I suppose we could curate it as "keep an eye on this", but your call.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom