Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
U see the problem is real time being faster. It should never be faster. 3-5 combat engine is fully turn-based and BLAZING FAST SSSSAAAACCAAA DEAD

jungl

Augur
This game has a boring start but near the end it gets cool.The graphics pissed me off how bad they were, phone game tier. The reused sound effects from past ubisoft heroes games. Ultimately it leaves you disappointed but was a okay game. Ubisoft is completely worthless how they handle the M&M franchise. Their biggest mistake was killing the old setting and replacing with a generic warcraft/lotr one. They should let any developer make M&M game and stick to selling FPS games.

ore clover

Learned

Dat retro pixelation. :lol:

If you still need a turn-based blobber fix after MMXL, I recommend the first two might and magics. I can't speak for XL, since I haven't played it, but MM1 and 2 are probably the closest the series comes to Wizardry's style of combat. They both use a front and back row for party placement, a feature that pretty much disappeared from 3 onward.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
God, I just found a teleporter that let me steal the town's gold from Erliquin then got thrown in jail for 8 years. I love this game.

artakserkso

Educated
I was super-annoyed by having to reorder my guys in MM1 with every party wipe, so I put together some dodgy Perl code.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
$f="ROSTER.DTA";
@fromspot=(2,5,1,4,3,6);
@tospot[$fromspot[$_]-1]=$_+6 for 0..5;
unshift @tospot,0..5;
open $fh,"<:raw",$f;
read $fh,$chars[$_],127 for @tospot;
print @chars;
print while <$fh>;
close $fh;

Note that this only works verbatim if you have exactly 6 extra characters other than the pre-made ones, "2,5,1,4,3,6" is your ingame (O)rder, etc.

On that note: Abelian, maybe you could add something more user-friendly to your trainer?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You should try playing it after you find Caius Cosades.
mm1finished_by_nekot_the_brave-d9macrp.png

Eggs is eggs

Learned
421997, nice score

(note: I have no idea how any of the scores are calculated or what they mean)

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I did send my score, a long time ago, when playing WoX as a part of the "Ultimate RPG archives" pack. By that time, WoX was already history and the guys must have been facepalming to hell and back when opening my letter.
They still sent me a very nice answer basically saying that this "send your score" stuff had stopped a long time ago, and that my score was more or less above average (I plead guilty of taking my time and explore every square inch of the world, a lethal flaw as far as M&M scoring goes).
I thought, and still think of it, as a pretty classy move. :salute:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
A few years ago after beating Ultima 5 for the first time, the game instructs you to send your score to Lord British. So I took a screenshot and tweeted it to Richard Garriot. He was all cool and responded and talked about getting phone calls at his parents house for years because of those games.

Re: M&M legacy, it was a pretty good game overall, I thought the combat improved on M&M 3-5 which were just Buff-Kill-Heal with no tactics whatsoever. I was more disappointed by the tiny scope and scale of the game; save the peninsula from monsters, yawn.

If I recall the combat system in Legacy was mostly an issue of damage scaling, only certain classes could really do serious damage after a certain point, with poor balancing at high levels. Been awhile since I took a look at it and all my saves are gone.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I believe the Score is based off how fast you beat the game (in-game days)
I think it's a combination of total XP gained and how fast you beat the game, but I'm not sure. The time definitely is a factor and probably the main one. I'm also not sure all the games calculate score in the same way.

I believe the Score is based off how fast you beat the game (in-game days)
I think it's a combination of total XP gained and how fast you beat the game, but I'm not sure. The time definitely is a factor and probably the main one. I'm also not sure all the games calculate score in the same way.

XP is definitely a factor. If you are playing normally you can boost your score a ton by finishing everything up since by the end game you are able to gain massive amounts of XP in a short period of time. I don't think you'd get a good score if you went pure (in-game time) speedrun w/ low end levels. Unless time is some kind of exponential factor in the equation.

ore clover

Learned
I think total xp, or at least party level, is the primary deciding factor. For example, here's a speedrun of MM4. They finished it in about eight and a half minutes without exploits, and didn't max out party level to 20 (I actually can't tell what the precise levels are, due to 240p. Lower than 20, tho).

Now compare that to my score when I did a MM4-only run, taking my sweet time and maxing everyone's levels:
jQTJjVa.png
Even though I took much longer to finish, my score's higher than theirs by about a factor of ten.

It's the same deal with Isles of Terra. There's a speedrun that finishes in less than five minutes, but their final score is lower than mine and other scores I've seen in general.

I'm not quite sure how it works with MM1, though. This speedrun's score isn't much lower than Nekot's, only by 15000 or so. I'm not saying Nekot's score is low, mind you, I'm saying that the speedrun score seems high. Perhaps time to finish weighs more heavily for the final score count in MM1 than 3-5. There's also a speedrun for MM2, but it's the Genesis so I don't know if the score would be calculated differently on dos.

Bottom line, though, is that it looks like experience is more valuable for the score than finishing quickly.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think total xp, or at least party level, is the primary deciding factor. For example, here's a speedrun of MM4. They finished it in about eight and a half minutes without exploits, and didn't max out party level to 20 (I actually can't tell what the precise levels are, due to 240p. Lower than 20, tho).

Now compare that to my score when I did a MM4-only run, taking my sweet time and maxing everyone's levels:
jQTJjVa.png
Even though I took much longer to finish, my score's higher than theirs by about a factor of ten.

It's the same deal with Isles of Terra. There's a speedrun that finishes in less than five minutes, but their final score is lower than mine and other scores I've seen in general.

I'm not quite sure how it works with MM1, though. This speedrun's score isn't much lower than Nekot's, only by 15000 or so. I'm not saying Nekot's score is low, mind you, I'm saying that the speedrun score seems high. Perhaps time to finish weighs more heavily for the final score count in MM1 than 3-5. There's also a speedrun for MM2, but it's the Genesis so I don't know if the score would be calculated differently on dos.

Bottom line, though, is that it looks like experience is more valuable for the score than finishing quickly.
I think it also has a lot to do with how many quests you've completed.

Gregz

Arcane
Scrooge The website is back up. It was down a couple days because the provider started charging VAT on top of the subscription and I didn't pay the VAT manually. Anyway, all fixed. Thanks for mentionning it!

The game should be much better once rebuilt with the new engine (and more reliable). A question of taste though. The new engine is meant for the sequel but I don't want the two games to be too different so Underworld will be updated (yet again!) Unfortunately I've had a few setbacks, as us indies tend to.

I have Swords and Sorcery Gold or something installed, but I have no idea where I have bought it or which bundle, so I don't dare to uninstall it ever. :lol:

I've uninstalled it many times and there was never a problem. You either got it from my site or Gamersgate. It was never in a bundle.

Swords and Sorcery - Underworld is great work. If you allowed the player the remap keys it would probably double your sales.

Loved this bit:

WrvBVqK.jpg

2aBOiVb.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom