Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are old Xcom worth playing? And which ones?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Open x-com and apocalypse for sure.

Probably TFTD too, although I can't say for sure, because the color scheme makes me physically ill.

Zenith

Arbiter
Here's what I'd like somebody to tell me if I were the OP: there is no X-Com "series". There's only one proper X-Com (the original, UFO Defense). Until you're done with that, the rest is irrelevant.
After that, sure, there's the reskin, the weird one, some spinoffs, some Russian second rate rip-offs, some cargo cult remakes. But it's all secondary.
Feel free to use OpenXcom though, mouse wheel alone makes the game much more seamless.

Emily

Arcane
Ok thank you everyone for recommendations. I have decided to go for the Original+open addon.

Went with the ironman veteran and so far loving it. HOWEVER it is so annoying not being able to destroy aliens walls,and no overwatch means my troops constantly die for no reason in those damn ships,what am I doing wrong?

Also is it even possible to save troops on this game? Every mission 2-3 ppl die,sometimes there is nothing I can even do.

Oh and large UFOs started appearing and my planes cannot destroy them... :( it seems I kinda fucked up my research.

Black

Arcane
Rookies dying on every mission in natural, only nucom decided that throwing soldiers at a threat is not a viable strategy :rpgcodex:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
no overwatch means my troops constantly die for no reason in those damn ships
FFS! You have 3 options for overwatch.
XCOM-UFO-Defense_1280w.jpg

See those red buttons bottom left?
Use those to save time units for reaction fire. Be aware that not all weapons have auto-fire.

Emily

Arcane
no overwatch means my troops constantly die for no reason in those damn ships
FFS! You have 3 options for overwatch.
XCOM-UFO-Defense_1280w.jpg

See those red buttons bottom left?
Use those to save time units for reaction fire. Be aware that not all weapons have auto-fire.
I know about those,but arent they auto activated,or.do you have to click them.every time? I noticed they fire as long as they have TU. But they arent fast enough for the aliens. In those close quarters he comes trough the door and kills two of my troops like.it is nothing. And they both had full TU.

Emily

Arcane
Rookies dying on every mission in natural, only nucom decided that throwing soldiers at a threat is not a viable strategy :rpgcodex:
Oh yeah I hated the only 6 limit,felt so restricting. They should have went at least 8 + a tank.

7h30n

Augur
I know about those,but arent they auto activated,or.do you have to click them.every time? I noticed they fire as long as they have TU. But they arent fast enough for the aliens. In those close quarters he comes trough the door and kills two of my troops like.it is nothing. And they both had full TU.

They are auto activated if you have enough TUs. The buttons are there only to prevent you from accidentally spending them (if you miscalculate). But, you also have to consider that some weapons require more TU to fire, which means that you won't be able to fire multiple shots when your "overwatch" is triggered. And the most important factor is the Reaction stat of your soldiers. You should be careful when recruiting new guys to have some with high reactions and put them in good positions to react (behind corners etc.)

Oh and btw, it is normal for 1 or 2 of rookies to die on a mission, but the game is a lot harder than nuXcoms, so I'd recommend you restart on Normal difficulty and play that until you get the hang of things. Also, smoke granades are your friends as well as free form targeting destruction (especially with heavy weapons). I don't wanna spoil the fun, but the game offers quite interesting interaction of various mechanics and using them tacticooly :)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
But they arent fast enough for the aliens. In those close quarters he comes trough the door and kills two of my troops like.it is nothing. And they both had full TU.
Your soldiers have "reactions" stat that determines their effectiveness in overwatch situation. Also active unit has an edge in roll who gets to act first if I remember things correctly.

More info here: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/X-COM

Also proximity grenades are your friend (as long as you won't walk on them.)

Emily

Arcane

They are auto activated if you have enough TUs. The buttons are there only to prevent you from accidentally spending them (if you miscalculate). But, you also have to consider that some weapons require more TU to fire, which means that you won't be able to fire multiple shots when your "overwatch" is triggered. And the most important factor is the Reaction stat of your soldiers. You should be careful when recruiting new guys to have some with high reactions and put them in good positions to react (behind corners etc.)

Oh and btw, it is normal for 1 or 2 of rookies to die on a mission, but the game is a lot harder than nuXcoms, so I'd recommend you restart on Normal difficulty and play that until you get the hang of things. Also, smoke granades are your friends as well as free form targeting destruction (especially with heavy weapons). I don't wanna spoil the fun, but the game offers quite interesting interaction of various mechanics and using them tacticooly :)

Well I am.doing fine I think. 4th month and I have 4 bases and no country has cut my funding. I just need to upgrade my planes somehow.

Thane Solus

Arcane
man i remember playing apocalypse in 2000's and is one of the few games where it takes in consideration how many soldiers you have before advancing somebody in rank. So to have a commander you have to have around 40+ soldiers, 4 lts, 8 sgts and so on. And that city combat and logistics problems when you were destroying buildings, very nice "sequel" even with its many flaws (played it on Real Time, didnt like the TBS here compared to the original, due to huge maps and levels) And thos fucking grenade trigger happy cultists. So fun! It will take firaxis 100 years to develop something similar, cause my casual, cause my consoles...

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
man i remember playing apocalypse in 2000's and is one of the few games where it takes in consideration how many soldiers you have before advancing somebody in rank. So to have a commander you have to have around 40+ soldiers, 4 lts, 8 sgts and so on. And that city combat and logistics problems when you were destroying buildings, very nice "sequel" even with its many flaws (played it on Real Time, didnt like the TBS here compared to the original, due to huge maps and levels) And thos fucking grenade trigger happy cultists. So fun! It will take firaxis 100 years to develop something similar, cause my casual, cause my consoles...
Light weight nu-version is coming from the man (Julian Gollop) himself.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...eator-julian-gollop-fig-campaign-live.107625/

Emily

Arcane
Welp so far for my game.

Got destroyed by one single fly creature in an very large ship. It just went and spawned zombies,like 2-3 per turn.

And is there level scaling or something? How did the game spawn very large ships already,it is only forth month. :S

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Welp so far for my game.

Got destroyed by one single fly creature in an very large ship. It just went and spawned zombies,like 2-3 per turn.

And is there level scaling or something? How did the game spawn very large ships already,it is only forth month. :S
You got your first chrysallids?

Might have been terror mission ship that you caught.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Isn't there some kind of effect if you do too good the enemy scales up - something to to with the points?

7h30n

Augur
Hmm, I don't think so. Didn't the game work by basically aliens having their own agenda? If you don't stop them from building bases they progress faster. Also, destroying their ships in an area provokes them to attack your base. I think the only scaling of difficulty was tied to your tech, where researching something would provoke them to send more advanced stuff earlier than the normal time factor. It's been a long time since I played the original, should probably give it another spin soon :)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, I'm almost certain it has it in X-com Apocalypse at least. If you are too good at the game the blue scaled assholes will bring devastators cannons in their next invasion :)

7h30n

Augur
Okay, I'm almost certain it has it in X-com Apocalypse at least. If you are too good at the game the blue scaled assholes will bring devastators cannons in their next invasion :)

Actually, according to UFOpaedia:

Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment System
Quoting from Julian Gollop's at 'Classic Games Postmortem - XCOM: UFO Defense' at Game Developers Conference 2013:

"The way this worked was very simple. Basically, if you did very well on the last three previous tactical missions and you absolutely trounced the aliens, the aliens would ramp up their own technology level and deployments more quickly. If, on the other hand, conversely you did very badly, the aliens wouldn't throw in some extra stuff. So it kinda adjusted the difficulty as you went along."

This was never implemented, however. Instead it resulted in the now infamous difficulty bug.

So, beats me how the difficulty worked...

Well I am.doing fine I think. 4th month and I have 4 bases and no country has cut my funding. I just need to upgrade my planes somehow.

no, this is not how it works.
those buttons are to reserve time units for a POTENTIAL reaction fire. if the aliens have high reflexes they could easily run up to your nose and rip you a new one without you being able to lift a finger. that's how most of your soldiers will die to chrysalids.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
So what is OpenXCom? Just a system for system, content for content remake of UFO defense that has higher resolution and some quality of life improvements?

Grif

Learned
So what is OpenXCom? Just a system for system, content for content remake of UFO defense that has higher resolution and some quality of life improvements?

Aye. Think OpenTTD, or the various Doom ports over the years. It allows you to run it without needing to fiddle with DOSBox, and fixes some of the more annoying bugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom