Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Athos

Arcane
Azrael the cat in the new lore Gunther is already working for the Illuminati, he was a merc in the Tyrant squad of Namir but he only appears briefly in that first novel.

Paul_cz

Arcane

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.greenmangaming.com/de/games/deus-ex-mankind-divided/

This is currently available for 12,75 Euroshekels.

Worth it?
If you liked Bloodlines, sure. It is closer to that than to DX or HR. It is not nearly as well written, but the atmosphere and gameplay are strong and sidequests are good overall.
However the first mission, tutorial in Dubai, is pretty terrible. Gives much worse first impression than the game deserves.

Nah, this looks too dumbed down and overstyled. Will pass.

Paul_cz

Arcane
https://www.greenmangaming.com/de/games/deus-ex-mankind-divided/

This is currently available for 12,75 Euroshekels.

Worth it?
If you liked Bloodlines, sure. It is closer to that than to DX or HR. It is not nearly as well written, but the atmosphere and gameplay are strong and sidequests are good overall.
However the first mission, tutorial in Dubai, is pretty terrible. Gives much worse first impression than the game deserves.

Nah, this looks too dumbed down and overstyled. Will pass.

Hey, your loss. I enjoyed the shit out of it for what it was.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I went for the cheap grab and I like it okay so far. I like that despite the police state shtick you can still kick ass in the first hub. I beat the snot out of an extortion ring (and evaded the police drone until it forgot about me) and then didn't have enough tranq ammo left to take on a bunch of gangsters shooting up my friend's store so I had to learn stealth and hacking. Oh yeah, and I cleared a (corrupt (aren't they all?)) police checkpoint by convincing another group of cops to go kill them all. Sorry, but that's incline.

The 45 minutes of cutscenes at the beginning did almost lose me, but I guess I'm glad I stuck it out. Another game that's "not not worth playing".

TheWorld

Educated
I've only played a few hours but I'm liking the game so far. The level design is pretty nice. In particular palisade property bank was awesome! So many passages, things to explore and discover.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I went for the cheap grab and I like it okay so far. I like that despite the police state shtick you can still kick ass in the first hub. I beat the snot out of an extortion ring (and evaded the police drone until it forgot about me) and then didn't have enough tranq ammo left to take on a bunch of gangsters shooting up my friend's store so I had to learn stealth and hacking. Oh yeah, and I cleared a (corrupt (aren't they all?)) police checkpoint by convincing another group of cops to go kill them all. Sorry, but that's incline.

The 45 minutes of cutscenes at the beginning did almost lose me, but I guess I'm glad I stuck it out. Another game that's "not not worth playing".
I restarted the game a few times for reasons I can't remember, and that unskippable story stuff drove me crazy. It's so fucking lazy too, you're talking about your own secret rebel thing and whatnot right out in the open, right next to people and security types, pretty loudly and that ugly ass chick is about as inconspicuous as a snowman in a rainforest.

The a.i. is also weird at times. I stole the grenade launcher or whatever it was from the police car, with a bunch of them standing around, triggering the alarm. Just ran past all them out in the open and hid for a bit and that was it. They are hilariously incompetent.

Not the worst game in the world, especially if you can supress the urge to pointless break and enter every single house/flat in the game as it's mostly just busywork and generic loot you don't *really* need anway. I keep wearing myself out doing modern day optional busywork in games like this, witcher 3 etc before I get around to ever finishing the main quests, usually.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not the worst game in the world, especially if you can supress the urge to pointless break and enter every single house/flat in the game as it's mostly just busywork and generic loot you don't *really* need anway. I keep wearing myself out doing modern day optional busywork in games like this, witcher 3 etc before I get around to ever finishing the main quests, usually.
It made sense to hunt every pixel back when games were small enough that every pixel was interesting. Now that they're huge with millions of details, the only sane way to play them is to walk past the stuff that doesn't interest you. The day I turned down my first quest was the day I liberated myself from the shackles of the "Achiever" personality. Join me friend and learn to enjoy gaming again.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Has anyone tried the DLCs? Are they good?
I played System Rift and it was great. It is just one big sidemission, but it took me around 5 hours to complete. I am gonna play Criminal Past today.

Rev

Arcane
I played System Rift and it was great. It is just one big sidemission, but it took me around 5 hours to complete. I am gonna play Criminal Past today.
They're both separeted from the main game, right?
Btw, let me know what you think of Criminal Past, after you play it.

Paul_cz

Arcane
They're both separeted from the main game, right?
Btw, let me know what you think of Criminal Past, after you play it.

Yeah they are accessed from the menu under Jensen's stories. System Rift takes place I think during Jensen's second time in Prague (after Golem City). Criminal Past takes place after the main game (it is done as a flashback).
I have played 5 hours so far and still not done, it is also quite big. But I am doing stealth run with no augmentations (you have a choice if you want to activate them or not, with its drawbacks) and I reload when detected.
Overall it is good so far, although I am not super thrilled with it, mostly because the prison, while well designed, is pretty boring to look at and be in. Prague or Golem were much more interesting.

edit - finished it. It had some cool choices with consequences manifested in gameplay and was overall good DLC, but nothing amazing. I definitely wish we could look forward to the last game of Jensen trilogy though, I grew to like the bastard quite a bit. Fucking Squeenix.

Last edited:

TheWorld

Educated
I have almost finished the game, finally. I dropped it a few times because I couldn't find the will to play it. I think there is a good game somewhere, but it's hidden by a pile of shit.

The plot could be good (if not original) but the there is no memorable character. Jensen is not written badly, but its design is quite stupid (wtf thought of the putting the sunglasses in his head?) and the voice acting boring and flat.

Prague is a very nice hub and you can really feel the racial tension, but too much of the game is spent there to the point that it gets boring. You are all the time moving back and forth between stations, enduring the super-long load times. The level design is good, even though even here there is nothing that we haven't seen already, but the pacing is completely off. Most of the time you're doing fetch quests, going back and forth and talking, and the stealth\action segments are too few. You can make a great game based on dialogue, but your writing, characters, and plot need to be awesome. In this game they are just ok, so the game gets boring. It's a pity because when you're actually moving silently through a level it is really fun and the game makes a good job at making you feel like a super-spy.

Even the controls sometimes are quite clunky. The super-jump and icarus dash don't respond as well as I hoped and sure lose when compared to dishonored.

Overall... with some more care it could have been a solid 8/10. Like this it's playable but nothing memorable. I would rate it as a little better than invisible wars, a step back from human revolution, and not even comparable with the original deus ex.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I would rate it as a little better than invisible wars
I would remind you that Invisible War was a truly horrible game. A game where, for example, guns never reload and they thought this would be believable/a good feature.

TheWorld

Educated
I would remind you that Invisible War was a truly horrible game. A game where, for example, guns never reload and they thought this would be believable/a good feature.

To be honest I have played invisible wars when it came out and that's 14 years ago. I remember that I was extremely disappointed by the dumbed down mechanics, like the universal ammo, which made no sense, by the small maps, and by the various technical problems. That said, from what I remember it was actually playable. Not a great (or even good) game, but it had a little of that kind of freedom that was not common in those days, particularly in fps. Mind that, it's been 14 years, it could be that I don't remember properly and the game is really worthless.

Latelistener

Arcane
Jensen is not written badly, but its design is quite stupid (wtf thought of the putting the sunglasses in his head?) and the voice acting boring and flat.
I read about HR before the E3 trailer, and IIRC he was suppose to be more or less human, so player could choose whether he want to augment or not.
His sunglasses were also not a part of the augmentations.
Don't know why they ditched this concept, and gone full Robocop. Probably wanted to put player in the center of the drama.

pLyc.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom