Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Sounds like he actually managed to make it more confusing than simple numbers would have been.

Sheesh.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
For me, shapes mean nothing. Quite the opposite of what he's saying. A good example from my gaming history is when I tried out soccer management games. The first one I tried used numbers and I found it all made easy sense - look for players with numbers close to 20 in the areas you were interested in (and then watch as the game appeared to ignore those numbers in favour of 'secret hidden numbers', but heh-ho). The second one I tried had 'moved on' to geometrical shapes as well as numbers and I just looked at the screen with a blank expression not really having a clue what any of it meant, my brain ceasing up at the mere site of it.

cm3.png

vs

8517636._Axel_Witsel.png

Just look at all that wasted space, the way everything is uglier and more compartmentalised, the way nothing is quickly glance'able but instead drags your eyes all over the screen for what used to be kinda plainly visible and just altogether easier on the eye. What does the 'one glance' shape thingy add? For me, nothing but intrusion into my screen.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From what I remember the shapes thing is pretty good in football manager, I mean to get a fast glance at what kind of player he is and what position he is suited for.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's actually pretty good talk. Interesting enough even if you're just care about his developer career and a bit of gaming history.

He also mentions the internet forums' (guess which?) ridiculous reactions when he announced his marriage.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's actually pretty good talk. Interesting enough even if you're just care about his developer career and a bit of gaming history.

He also mentions the internet forums' (guess which?) ridiculous reactions when he announced his marriage.

I assume the Codex was classy and thoughtful in all ways. :D

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoops, that Australia talk completely flew past our radar.

http://www.gxaustralia.com/schedule/

Saturday, April 29th 2017
35 YEARS IN THE GAME INDUSTRY: THINGS GOT BETTER
Tim Cain

Join Tim Cain on a journey through the last 35 years in the Games Industry as he charts the parallels between gaming being considered a valid career and the social and legal acceptance of homosexuality!

Not a good idea for the front page, I suspect. :M

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron

I assume the Codex was classy and thoughtful in all ways. :D

Judge for yourself.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rries-a-man-and-leaves-carbine-studios.62035/
I'm guessing this is one of the things he was referring to? http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ves-carbine-studios.62035/page-8#post-1727878
Doesn't match the quote he mentions, as no one brought up Mein Kampf specifically as far as I can tell.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92...better-rpg-seven-mistakes-to-avoid/?p=1913100

Tim Cain said:
But you could have solved the random encounters by giving them a chance to appear according to luck number. Instead of them starting to appear at 7 luck, you'd have 70% chance of a random encounter appearing & 60% chance at 6 luck etc.

We actually tried that at first. But with all of the back and forth people did on the world map, no one noticed a difference between a 6 or 7 Luck. You got all of the encounters if you kept playing long enough. So we switched back to thresholds.

This is why I said in my talk that critical hits should adjust damage and not chance. People notice when their critical hit damage goes up 10%, but they don't notice when they critically hit 10% more frequently. Mathematically they are the same in terms of DPS, but psychologically they are completely different.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Playing Pillars of Eternity, you certainly notice when you're critting more against lower level enemies.

Quillon

Arcane
Btw. Tim Cain said in the last video above and in the shitstormy stream before that he watched Sawyer create an IP from scratch like they created Fallout & Arcanum back in the day and he loved that etc. Wonder PoE is same to Sawyer as Fallout or Arcanum was to the "troika", however enthusiastically Sawyer teases Deadfire, he also seems hung up on historical RPG idea and PoE is just something he has to make before that happens, not to mention PoE devs most certainly had far less creative freedom to please the nostalgic fuckers like you than "troika" had back in the day. So it seems strange to me that he sees Josh's situation similar to what theirs was.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You're probably overthinking it. He's just talking about the basic experience of creating an IP.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Well, hopefully, IF Obsidian is going to make one, Kingmaker may push them to make it turn-based rather than RTwP

Sawyer is quite a fan of turn-based combat, so if he works on it, it will probably be that way.

for the sake of differentiation.

This would also make sense in terms of differentiation from PoE (both traditional fantasy, and vaguely DnDish)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Don't see Obsidian creating a conventional story-driven Pathfinder RPG anytime soon. Not in the near term, probably not in the medium term either. They've simply got no incentive to do that.

The best bet for a Pathfinder game that isn't some sort of tablet thing, IMO? A Pathfinder Neverwinter Nights successor with module creation and multiplayer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Quick rundown on why rtwp is even a thing? Surely tb or rt is always preferable?

Asking for a mate

When all goes well it sells better than turn based, and games where your companions are fully controlled by AI just don't feel the same.

They need to stop being affirmative action racists and start revealing their new game.

Anyone know what happened to the third guy from Troika? He was apparently a genius at merging system and art/design according to Boyarsky.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom