Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Andromeda is hot shit.

ortucis

Prophet
So I caved in and gave this game a try, it's hilarious and all but something weird/er.. started happening during combat (the only, sort of, saving grace for this game). Everything on-screen would just freeze for few seconds when playing it for 1-2 hours, forcing me to restart the game. Memory leak? Piss down the pants?

Well, it turns out, this game managed to do what I haven't seen any game do before since Fable did the same for my display card back in the day. It overheats my CPU, all cores, like crazy mad.

My 2600K has a Tj Max rating of 98 degree. All cores when running this game are running at 95-96 reaching critical temperature, basically raping my trusty CPU in the ass. I've played games like Witcher 3 and new Doom (despite it being shit) pretty much maxed out on this system, and now this game, which I am pretty much running on lowest settings, is overheating and consuming resources like crazy destroying my PC.

Uninstall.exe, fuck this feminist garbage. I still find the running animations down the slope funny.. hands waving, moving left and right, still makes me laugh. :P

Alkarl

Learned
Sounds like your rig has acheived sentience and would rather die than continue to run such shitty software. More like Biowaste, huh?

Dumb jokes aside, what exactly did you expect? Seriously, what you were able to play, was it everything you'd ever hoped for? I tell ya, personally, all this decline has done wonders for my bank account, I can damn near finance my own project... Damn near.

it is.
arena - corridor - arena - corridor - arena - corridor forever.
and spamming melee rarely has any downside.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
it is.
arena - corridor - arena - corridor - arena - corridor forever.
and spamming melee rarely has any downside.

The combat was on point, the performance was flawless on a wide range of PCs and the soundtrack was fucking phenomenal. By spamming melee I assume you mean taking advantage of melee executions. You're supposed to use them fairly liberally, since their function is to keep your health high. This is a replacement for regenerating health or healthpacks that encourages you to push more and more into risky combat maneuvers when your health is low instead of cowering or trying to backtrack to find health. The chainsaw kills give you your ammo back, so Conventional Weapons / Melee Executions / Chainsaw kills form a sort of design trifecta that produces one of the finest shooters of the generation. The combat is relentless and the pacing is extremely intense compared to other games in the genre.

As much as I loathe the core Bethesda team's games, with Wolfenstein TNO, Doom (2016), Dishonored 2 and Prey (2017), their other development teams have been hitting it out of the park.

ortucis

Prophet
better cooler

Bullshit.

If it's only one game doing it, then the problem is that shit game. They can't even design a proper working UI (latest patched version, game still keeps removing abilities you set as favorites, buttons stop working, etc.) and options, everything in this game is a broken mess.

Dumb jokes aside, what exactly did you expect? Seriously, what you were able to play, was it everything you'd ever hoped for?

Oh I didn't play it cause I thought it was a good game or had redeemable elements. I played it after watching videos of hilarious animations, and even after latest patch, this game doesn't disappoint. I just wanted to experience that first hand.

Like I mentioned, the hilarious jumping jacks PC does when going down-hill is etched in my mind. It's like the whole game was inspired by Monty Python's "Ministry of Silly Walks". Hilarious dialogue and animations.

While we're at it, the game keeps giving you weapons which you'll never use. You have to research that 2 different weapons (shotgun, sniper) from Research Station and when you reach level 5, you're done. I didn't bother researching any armor, I just wore Angaran Commando armor (you get it free from killing NPC's) as a engineer and it pretty much makes you a god. The ONLY good thing about the encounters was the fights with the architects, which gets ruined when you realize that it's the same super boss you'll fight in four planets with only different model. The architects don't even do anything different attack-wise. Enjoy fighting same enemies over and over again. Meh!

schaltbock

Novice
So I caved in and gave this game a try, it's hilarious and all but something weird/er.. started happening during combat (the only, sort of, saving grace for this game). Everything on-screen would just freeze for few seconds when playing it for 1-2 hours, forcing me to restart the game. Memory leak? Piss down the pants?

Did the freezing happen every time you kill an enemy? It was a common issue pre 1.05 patch. Recommended solution at the time was to whittle down enemy health to a sliver and then let a teammate strike the killing blow.

ortucis

Prophet

Did the freezing happen every time you kill an enemy? It was a common issue pre 1.05 patch. Recommended solution at the time was to whittle down enemy health to a sliver and then let a teammate strike the killing blow.

Playing the latest version, and it happened during intense fights, it has nothing to do with just killing an enemy. The game is overheating the CPU with shit engine, or whatever they did to bring Frostbite to their level of stupid. I monitored the game in windowed mode with temperatures next to it, it's maxing out the cores to their temp limit.

It's destroying the CPU's of every PC gamer while they think it's a minor issue. All that to witness THE most hilarious Krogan fight you could've imagined, with their cute little T-Rex hands and lisps..

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
While I hate to defend Andromeda, if your computer is properly constructed it should be impossible for it to overheat unless the ambient temperature is unusually high.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The combat was on point, the performance was flawless on a wide range of PCs and the soundtrack was fucking phenomenal. By spamming melee I assume you mean taking advantage of melee executions. You're supposed to use them fairly liberally, since their function is to keep your health high. This is a replacement for regenerating health or healthpacks that encourages you to push more and more into risky combat maneuvers when your health is low instead of cowering or trying to backtrack to find health. The chainsaw kills give you your ammo back, so Conventional Weapons / Melee Executions / Chainsaw kills form a sort of design trifecta that produces one of the finest shooters of the generation. The combat is relentless and the pacing is extremely intense compared to other games in the genre.

As much as I loathe the core Bethesda team's games, with Wolfenstein TNO, Doom (2016), Dishonored 2 and Prey (2017), their other development teams have been hitting it out of the park.
D44m's combat was mediocre and the music sucked. Kept wondering if it was possible to replace current music with Painkiller's or something but couldn't find a way to do it.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The biggest sins of D44M are the max 12 enemy limit, complete lack of modding, and total removal of advanced movement mechanics like strafe jumping. I still had fun with it for 20 buckaroonies but I wouldn't pay 60 dollars for it.

I'd feel bad for derailing the thread but who gives a shit about Andromeda lmao.

ortucis

Prophet
While I hate to defend Andromeda, if your computer is properly constructed it should be impossible for it to overheat unless the ambient temperature is unusually high.

I have AC running in my closed room constantly. Room temprature goes down to 18 degree for 18 mins and then remains constant at 28 degree.

And I keep my cabinet open. I assembled this PC back in like 2012 and this is the first time a game has managed to overheat my CPU.

You sir, should be ashamed for defending Andromeda.

PS: The new Doom IS a shit game. I guess slow combat designed for gamepads and ported over to PC with one button magical insta-kill is revolutionary shit for kids these days.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
D44m's combat was mediocre and the music sucked. Kept wondering if it was possible to replace current music with Painkiller's or something but couldn't find a way to do it.

The music sucked? I guess there's no accounting for taste. BFG Division, Argent Combat and Rip & Tear are outstanding. And a little nostalgia kick. Mick Gordon is by far the best person currently working on videogame scores. Killer Instinct, Doom, Wolfenstein TNO / TOB and Prey alll have great soundtracks while being extremely different from each other.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

The music sucked? I guess there's no accounting for taste. BFG Division, Argent Combat and Rip & Tear are outstanding. And a little nostalgia kick. Mick Gordon is by far the best person currently working on videogame scores. Killer Instinct, Doom, Wolfenstein TNO / TOB and Prey alll have great soundtracks while being extremely different from each other.
The dynamic music and bad sound mixing kind of ruined it for me. I would have rather had them just do straight metal all the time with combat tracks than the weird dynamic music that seemed to almost never kick in and when it did it was drowned out by game sounds. Probably not Mick Gordon's fault though.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned

The dynamic music and bad sound mixing kind of ruined it for me. I would have rather had them just do straight metal all the time with combat tracks than the weird dynamic music that seemed to almost never kick in and when it did it was drowned out by game sounds. Probably not Mick Gordon's fault though.

Sound mixing is a problem in all of the recent Bethesda (publisher not developer) games. Initially we were all blaming it on IdTech 5, but then Prey came out on CryEngine and also had a bad mix so no clue why.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I have AC running in my closed room constantly. Room temprature goes down to 18 degree for 18 mins and then remains constant at 28 degree.

And I keep my cabinet open. I assembled this PC back in like 2012 and this is the first time a game has managed to overheat my CPU.
Ah, there's your problem. A closed cabinet correctly set up will give better airflow over the cooling surfaces than an open one with air blowing in random directions.

The frostbite engine is much more CPU hungry than most other game engines out there, so it's not surprising that your shitty PC hasn't been pushed to the limit until now.
I bet you'll have the same problem if you try to play Battlefield 1 as well.

ortucis

Prophet

Ah, there's your problem. A closed cabinet correctly set up will give better airflow over the cooling surfaces than an open one with air blowing in random directions.

The frostbite engine is much more CPU hungry than most other game engines out there, so it's not surprising that your shitty PC hasn't been pushed to the limit until now.
I bet you'll have the same problem if you try to play Battlefield 1 as well.

This is why people who give advice online sound fucking stupid majority of the time. You have no idea whether I ALWAYS keep my cabinet open or I just opened it to cool CPU while playing this game, do you? Your genius advice won't really work now when you'll realise that the latter's' the case and CPU has never overheated before, right? Not to mention, I've played BF3 and recently, Mirrors Edge - Catalyst on the same rig with higher quality settings without any problems.

Man fuck-off with your Bioware worship and dumbass PC knowledge.

Althorion

Learned
If your PC overheats on any occasion, even if it is only while playing a very specific game, you have problems with cooling. It should not ever overheat! Even when you put max load on CPU for hours at a time. And as Spectacle said, close your goddamn chassis, you are only making your problem worse by doing that.

Shit, my gaming PC is also my work PC, I compile stuff all the time, maxing all cores for up to ten hours at a time and it is unthinkable for me that it would overheat. If you think that game developers should make games run slower by not utilizing all available resources just because some moron can’t install his cooling systems properly and willingly compromises them by opening his PC’s case you are either trolling or a madman.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This is why people who give advice online sound fucking stupid majority of the time. You have no idea whether I ALWAYS keep my cabinet open or I just opened it to cool CPU while playing this game, do you? Your genius advice won't really work now when you'll realise that the latter's' the case and CPU has never overheated before, right? Not to mention, I've played BF3 and recently, Mirrors Edge - Catalyst on the same rig with higher quality settings without any problems.

Man fuck-off with your Bioware worship and dumbass PC knowledge.
I'm supposed to have "dumbass PC knowledge"? You're the one with a shitty overheating computer, something mine never does :smug:

You're not alone though. The BF1 forums are full of losers with bad PCs complaining about high CPU loads and overheating.

BF3 and Mirror's Edge use older versions of frostbite BTW. Try BF1 for a game that uses the same version as Andromeda. At least try it once you've installed a better CPU cooler.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
one of the finest shooters of the generation.
For your own sake, I hope you're just trolling. Good performance and visuals aside, D44M is crap. It's one the most ridiculously boring games I've ever seen. Perhaps, it's not quite as retarded as Doom3 (lights go out, monsters come in) but very close. The combat is unbelievably weak - I'd say potato-grade, because the AI dumb as a rock but 100% accurate is exactly the blend you expect from a potato shooter. Fighting in the open is not an option, you have to kite enemies and ambush them. Since everything is a bullet sponge, it goes on forever. Early levels are the worst because unapgraded weapons are weaker than wet noodles. And the fact that every melee takedown is a mini-cutscene is the shit cherry on the puke cake.

If you want to see a really good mindless shooter, try Painkiller/BooH.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom