Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Tex Murphy: The Poisoned Pawn - "Act One of the Final Chapter"

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
I'm guessing overseer had the best quality videos for an hd upscale...but yeah...

Astral Rag

Arcane
I've been wanting to replay Overseer but it really dislikes modern nvidia cards (transparent objects galore) and there is no fix AFAIK so I for one will probably play this remake unless they manage to fuck it up which I doubt.

edit:

Looks like someone found a workaround, I guess I won't be needing remake v2 after all

Go to http://dege.freeweb.hu/ and click the 'downloads' under dgVoodoo 2.
Choose the latest version
Unzip the files to some folder
Copy all files under the 'MS' folder to your Overseer directory - <STEAM FOLDER>\steamapps\common\Tex Murphy 5
Play the game (run the dgvoodoo setup if you want to remove the watermark)
There are a few small glitches (looking up/down when not moving), but those are totally negligible and the game seems to finally be fully playable!

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I would be thrilled for a UaKM or PD remake/restoration, but this is a bad idea.

EDIT: But, eh, it seems it's just a fan-project that just got an endorsement from Big Finish, it's not like they're making this themselves.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I would rather play Martian Memorandum 3D UaKM-style remake.

It was the weakest Tex Murphy game. There is a big room to improve it.

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
http://thepoisonedpawn.com/updates.php?id=17

Hello to all our wonderful ‘Poisoned Pawn’ project followers! It has been a while since our last update, but we did say that we were going to utilize our time to concentrate on getting the job done, and boy have we been hard at work!

While it may appear that the project has gone “dark”, nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, we have successfully created a working and playable closed demo of the game! A “closed demo” is basically a working, fully-functional demo of the game that is not intended to be released to the public. We created it is part of the submission criteria for MAGfest’s MIVS showcase (also known as the ‘MAGfest Indie Videogame Showcase’). One of the requirements for being eligible for the showcase was to provide a playable demo of our game. And guess what: We have been chosen to showcase our game at MAGfest 2017!

We will not be releasing this demo to the public, but you will have a chance to give The Poisoned Pawn a spin! MAGfest is taking place in National Harbor, DC (more details, visit: http://magfest.org) between January 5-8, 2017. If you can attend the Con (and I strongly recommend you do, as it is the biggest geek con of is type), you can come see our booth at MIVS! There, we will have a playable demo! Our goal is not now only allowing players to experience the game, but hopefully (fingers crossed) showcase a work-in-progress: VR experience, 4K full motion video sequences, as well as full gamepad support. All of which (by the way) are already integrated into the game… but will hopefully be polished before the con!

So, can we still see the demo?

Well... okaaaaay. We have uploaded the gameplay demo we presented to the MIVS folks. It is available to watch on YouTube. We have carefully removed some elements of the demo (particularly some puzzle and location spoilers) but from the almost 20-minute video, you can get an idea of where the game is at in development.
You can check it out here:

Boleskine

Arcane
I'd rather they make a wholly original new Tex Murphy game.
Considering how quickly Tesla Effect went into sales I'm more surprised that they're still around.
It's a shame Tesla Effect sold so badly. Big Finish did a very good job managing their budget and delivered their game in 2 years without needing to ask for more money or doing some kind of episodic thing. I think they mentioned in one of their updates that they were already working on the Tesla Effect sequel.

I'm guessing Big Finish would use some of the profits from The Poisoned Pawn to fund development for the next game.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've played through most of the old ones recently. The controls in the 3D sections are a mess on modern systems, mouse input is way too sensitive. That aside, Tex Murphy is still the quintessential FMV experience.

trustno1code

Prophet
I'm guessing Big Finish would use some of the profits from The Poisoned Pawn to fund development for the next game.
Something like that... excerpt from their latest update...

Some of you may be aware that the scope of the Poisoned Pawn has expanded beyond just “an Overseer remake”. What you may not be aware of are two very important changes:
  • The Poisoned Pawn is the official sequel / successor to Tesla Effect.
  • The Poisoned Pawn is Act 1 of the final chapter in the Tex Murphy Adventure series.
So is this now a sequel, a remake, a reboot, a re-imagining? Are you Marvel?

Think of it this way: The Poisoned Pawn is the next title in the Tex Murphy series, period.

While we are revisiting various aspects of Tex’s past (with a primary focus on Overseer), this story takes place in 2051, right after the events of Tesla Effect, and explores some of the most iconic moments from Tex’s previous cases in a whole new light. This is to prepare both players and Tex himself for the big finale. Nothing in the Tex Murphy universe (since the events of Mean Streets) has been an accident. The game has been played, the pieces have been set, and now it is time to look back and pay closer attention to the man behind the curtain, before making the final move.

So does that mean we will get another Tex game after this?
We can only hope. But ultimately this is up to YOU.

It has always been a goal of both ours and the original Tex Murphy team to see the series finished. But as we are all fully aware: Tex Murphy deserves to go out with a BIG bang (ideally, in space). But in order to make a game that is capable of doing justice to the Tex Murphy universe, it would need to be be big, costly and involved.

The Poisoned Pawn is not only a game, but a proof of concept of sorts, which will enable us to gauge Tex’s popularity in today’s market. This is why the Chaotic Fusion team are putting their best foot forward. If we can get The Poisoned Pawn to be a market success, and succeed in bringing Tex Murphy to new audiences, this will increase our chances of justifying the cost and time dedication required to round-off the series appropriately.

So, if you would like to see both Poisoned Pawn succeed, thus potentially paving the way for the big finale to the Tex Murphy universe, it will be up to all of us to help make this project a success!

So, help spread the word: The Poisoned Pawn is act one of Tex’s big finale, and the next title in the Tex Murphy series, period.

PP_TexWindow.jpg

PP_MoonChild.jpg

PP_City.jpg

PP_Hallway.jpg

PP_Shuttle.jpg

PP_Dof.jpg

Not sure how this can be a bigger "market success" and "bring Tex to new audiences" than Tesla Effect had managed, but :takemymoney: and crossed fingers.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The Poisoned Pawn is not only a game, but a proof of concept of sorts, which will enable us to gauge Tex’s popularity in today’s market.
Oh my fucking GOD not this fucking shit AGAIN.

How the fuck is A REMAKE OF A REMAKE a better indication of popularity in the market than THE ACTUAL GAME THAT CAME OUT TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO.

History truly does repeat itself.

Boleskine

Arcane
I don't imagine changing The Poisoned Pawn from a fan remake of a 20-year-old remake to a half-remake half-sequel to a niche FMV adventure puzzle game that flopped pretty badly is going to attract new customers. If anything people will be even more confused about what the game actually is and whether they need to play the older Tex games first.

However, I can understand if it makes more sense to combine the Tesla Effect sequel with The Poisoned Pawn to save time and efforts. Big Finish probably has barely any money to make a new game, and the screenshots from The Poisoned Pawn look very good. Teaming up will increase the chance of there simply being another Tex Murphy game, whether it's a sequel, remake, or something else, and I guess that's ultimately what they want to give to their fans.

If Big Finish and Chaotic Fusion want to use the tech and engine from The Poisoned Pawn to make a Tesla Effect sequel, they should put the Overseer remake elements on hold and just focus on the sequel part. Make a smaller, less ambitious, and better game instead of risking to make a bloated, expensive one. If the sequel does well, then finish the Overseer remake project and release it soon after to capitalize on the sequel's success.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd love a new Tex and backed the KS for 100 bucks as I was desperate. Sure once made it sadly went to a dollar bundle pretty fast, but had I and others not stumped up originally, it wouldn't have even got released so I don't have any regrets. It's a niche within a niche and Chris and Aaron aren't getting any younger either so time is running out for any chance of one more game at least to really end the Tex Series with a closure.

Fuck this gay Earth that sees all manner of garbage funded and successful while a labor of love like Tex Murphy gets shat on.

Sales might not be a huge motivation for Chris Jones. He sold a company to micrsoft in the 90s, is the CEO of a golf simulator company, and an investor.

Wizfall

Cipher
Tesla was not very successful but i did not knew it was a flop.
If it was i don't see how The Poisoned Pawn could be successful as it was by far the best kickstarter adventure game reboot (broken sword and others were very disappointing while Tesla totally succeed to recapture the old Tex games feel).
The quality was there so it means there are no market for Tex game IMO

Really a shame as Tex games have the best adventure game setting/atmosphere by far even if they are not the best.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"Even if the game sucks, if you don't buy it, you will not get a better one afterwise." is an awful way to emotionally blackmail Tex Murphy fans.

Boleskine

Arcane
http://chaoticfusion.com/july-2017-update-new-trailer-con-info/

July 2017 Update – New trailer and Con info!
JulyUpdateCoverImg-870x500.jpg

Hello dear Tex Murphy fans! High time we had another update on The Poisoned Pawn, don’t you say?

New Trailer

Firstly, you may have noticed a new trailer released today. This latest trailer was created to showcase the game at Awesomecon (Washington DC, Mar/Apr), Salt Lake Gaming Con (Salt Lake City, July), and the upcoming AVCon in Adelaide, Australia. There is quite a lot of new content and locations presented in this new trailer – many of which existing fans will instantly recognize.

You will also notice the team has been putting extra time and attention into the details that bring the environments to life. There is no stone un-turned when it comes to creating the world you will get to explore. Every light, display, animation, asset, background or foreground is being constructed with care and purpose to immerse the player in a rich world that is truly ALIVE. We want you to be able to play the game multiple times and notice something new every time.

Holger has done a fantastic job evolving his skill along the way, adding new content and features that enable us to achieve the type of visual fidelity that earned our game the reputation of: “Oh, that one that looks like the triple A title” at Awesomecon.

We are upgrading the platform… yet again

Our programming lead Darren began investigating upgrading our engine to the latest version of Unity (2017), so far the results have been promising. After AVCon (this week) we will be looking to transition over to the new platform and take advantage of all the cool features it offers.

We are extremely happy with the results working with Unity. In fact, one of regular comments we get (when showcasing the game at the convention) is: “Oh, this looks great… I see you’re using Unreal”. Ultimately, we chose Unity because of the advantages it offered that were specific to our team and our project. We are very flattered that the skills being utilized in the creation of the game have been able to bridge the perception gap, enabling many players to realize Unity holds up very well compared to other engines, and that it can look “AAA” with a dedicated and talented team at the helm.

Cons, cons, cons!

We mentioned above that we showcased the game at Awesomecon and Salt Lake Gaming Con. Both were extremely successful. For Awesomecon, we showcased the 3D/desktop version of the game, and players got to experience a few locations with the Xbox 360 controller. For SLGC we presented a handful of new levels in VR, which really blew audiences away. We are aiming for an extremely intuitive user experience for the VR version of the game, and so far feedback has been extremely positive.

booth1.png

booth2.png

A note on the live stream that was schedules for July 8…

Some folks expressed concerns, as they were expecting a sit-down Q&A stream (and we were too, to be honest), but allow us to clarify with this statement we release on Twitter and Facebook shortly after SLGC:

While it was unfortunate we could not host a proper Q&A stream (with Aaron, and maybe Chris), we hoped that this short experience would suffice in the meantime. The dates for the scheduled live stream were set before we knew we were going to have a booth at Salt Lake Gaming Con. After this announcement, all team members were hard at work to get a demo completed to showcase to the attendees. Their hard work and dedication to deliver what we were able to showcase was miraculous… but this meant that the scheduled stream date sneaked up on us. So we decided: rather than cancel the stream, it could be a good opportunity to allow those who were not able to attend to see the game and the booth. We were, however, relying on mobile data while presenting in a crowded environment, so we apologize if the quality was lacking.

That said: we are going to make up for this and schedule a new date for a new stream. This will be a proper sit-down session with the Chaotic Fusion team, and we are going to try and bring Chris and Aaron in to offer their perspective, and showcase more of the game in a much more suited environment for all.

We are currently working out a new date where we can hold the proper sit-down Q&A session.

The story

Aaron has finished a first draft of the Poisoned Pawn story, which a lot of the in-game content and cinematics will be based off. He is currently revising the story, and will soon begin scripting the scenes for the FMV shoot which will be coming up soon. We are all very excited to read Aaron’s polished and complete Poisoned Pawn story, and continue working closely with him to help bring the story of The Poisoned Pawn to life in the game.

Donations, contributions and pre-orders

Some of you have expressed interest in donating, contributing or pre ordering for the project. We are super humbled and flattered by this gesture. While we do not have anything in place to accept these offers, if you are interested we may have something set up for this in the near future, so please stick around and we will keep you posted! Once again: we are really thankful for these gestures.

So, when is it coming out?

We are still aiming for early 2018. That has not really changed… granted, we all know game development is almost always a case of: “90%, and then the *other* 90%” – but we are doing our best to stay on target, and will advise folks if that is going to change, in advance.

That’s all for now folks. Time for us to get back to work! We will keep folks posted via Social Media (please follow us on Twitter if you are not already @ChaoticFusionTM) and look forward to sharing more news in the next update!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom