Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Battle Brothers

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
A routine that correlates the user's Steam or GoG ID with Codex accounts of anyone that responded with affirmative smilies to Roxor's review ITT. Their Bros all get retard traits and the game won't let them choose higher difficulty or Ironman mode. Their Bros. all have permanent flacidity injuries.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A routine that correlates the user's Steam or GoG ID with Codex accounts of anyone that responded with affirmative smilies to Roxor's review ITT. Their Bros all get retard traits and the game won't let them choose higher difficulty or Ironman mode. Their Bros. all have permanent flacidity injuries.
So that they can say they were right all along?

Lhynn

Arcane
Yet another factually wrong review from ratxor, why wont someone stop this madman!? HES RUINING MY HOBBY!!11!

Its a good review, it does a good job at pointing the problems the game has and should try to address in a sequel, if we were to get one.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Yet another factually wrong review from ratxor, why wont someone stop this madman!? HES RUINING MY HOBBY!!11!

Its a good review, it does a good job at pointing the problems the game has and should try to address in a sequel, if we were to get one.
Actually, rebalancing skills, and risk vs rewards only requires a patch.
Adding new enemies and terrain types could be done in an expansion.
I don't think any of the criticism would need a sequel to address.

tindrli

Arcane
to prolong 20 hours enjoyment and to tolerate repetitiveness a little bit more.
rebalancing skills patch
adding new enemies patch
adding terrain types patch
adding starting in random possitions patch
adding text based quest (like in space rangers) Patch
adding new enemies types patch
adding new leveling system deeper patch
introducing more trade resources and better economy system patch
adding some kind of molotov cocktail ( god how many times did i wished just one fireball ) i dont think this was a good idea, to tell the truth i just dont know.. maybe it would work and maybe it wouldnt
adding castle siege patch

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Since I have yet to play this game, I can't tell if Roxor is a principled gentleman standing for what he truly believes or just a contrarian edgelord. Is Battle Brothers really another Darkest Dungeon?

It is completely unlike Darkest Dungeon, which would have to be redesigned completely to be a good game. At which point it would cease to be Darkest Dungeon and become, I dunno, Celerity's Catacombs. BB is merely a (somewhat) incomplete game, not a fundamentally limited one. Mod support would go a long way to extending its lifespan.

Sounds exactly like Derpest Dungeon as far as I can tell. Actually worse since you can't even make an argument about mods saving the game.

Ruzen

Savant
The internet is so predictable. Never misses an opportunity to lynch *something&someone*

no sale = :keepmyjewgold:. Game is priced for german audience.
entitled piece of shit

this comment should be deleted so that some lurker doesn't read it and deem it as a justification to not buy the game

No the comment should not be deleted you mental-midget. Why ? Because the game is complete and utter trash and the reviewer is doing Joe Q. Average a public service.

Lhynn

Arcane
More like an entire overhaul, it would change the game deeply. To be honest whats needed is an rpg system in which you as the leader of the gang increase your scouting and negotiating skills, on top of some strategical and tactical ones. This would allow the gameplay to evolve, youd be able to get better guys, secure better contracts for increased reward, have more options at the start of combat as the game progresses, have better options to deal with the merc company management and even increase your skill to deal with individual brothers.
The possibilities that would have been opened by making this an actual rpg are insane, boogles the mind they didnt go with it while mount and blade did like a decade ago.

Unless you need quick cash i wouldnt bother with an expansion, a sequel is a more interesting prospect, because you get to iterate on the mechanics and gameplay in a more radical way. Im betting the team learned a LOT making this game, instead of expanding on it slightly just take everything you learned and make something better.

Saduj

Arcane
Reading this thread makes me so glad I'm not poor. Here in the land of Trump and honey, $30 for 20+ hours of entertainment is a bargain.

Lios

Cipher
Well if i'ts only a skeleton of a game, then it's the most addicting skeleton of a game I've ever seen.
Well-worth its price, more than 20+ hours of entertainment easily.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
More like an entire overhaul, it would change the game deeply. To be honest whats needed is an rpg system in which you as the leader of the gang increase your scouting and negotiating skills, on top of some strategical and tactical ones. This would allow the gameplay to evolve, youd be able to get better guys, secure better contracts for increased reward, have more options at the start of combat as the game progresses, have better options to deal with the merc company management and even increase your skill to deal with individual brothers.
The possibilities that would have been opened by making this an actual rpg are insane, boogles the mind they didnt go with it while mount and blade did like a decade ago.

Unless you need quick cash i wouldnt bother with an expansion, a sequel is a more interesting prospect, because you get to iterate on the mechanics and gameplay in a more radical way. Im betting the team learned a LOT making this game, instead of expanding on it slightly just take everything you learned and make something better.

The main problem to make it an RPG system is that it might not fit the high mortality rate of the game:
The captain of a mercenary company not fighting alongside his men would not fit a medieval setting, so he would have to be one of the mercs, but then you would have to make him immortal (like in MnB), which would weaken the brutality aspect of the combat (but I suppose it could also work like in MnB with the whole company reset when the leader is out), or have the player play all the successive leaders of the company (so a bit like Crusader Kings), but that would remove the improvement part, and make the setbacks even worse when losing your leader.

It might be easier to add non combat characters that would make the company better over time (a HR guy that can spot a cripple before paying several thousands GP, a blacksmith that can repair equipment faster and with less tools...), and base the contracts and similar things on the prestige of the company.

Regarding an expansion, it would allow to make the base game much better with some added content IMO, and some full sized expansion (something more ambitious than a DLC) manage to improve their base game a lot.

Lhynn

Arcane
It might be easier to add non combat characters that would make the company better over time (a HR guy that can spot a cripple before paying several thousands GP, a blacksmith that can repair equipment faster and with less tools...), and base the contracts and similar things on the prestige of the company.
Thats just refluffling.

Emily

Arcane
imo battlebrothers is really good and revolutionary in not only being an ok game but also an amazing IQ estimator based on the length of time during which the subject enjoys the game

<20 hours - estimated IQ of around 85-100
20-25 hours - estimated IQ of between 125-140
25< hours - estimated IQ of roughly 60-70(average for autistic people)
Good edge reply. I like it.

Celerity

Now now Celerity...surely nothing can be worse than the Darkest Dungeon?

I didn't say it was worse. I said it was exactly like it. There was even some guy who got censored because he knew the game better than the devs.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
imo battlebrothers is really good and revolutionary in not only being an ok game but also an amazing IQ estimator based on the length of time during which the subject enjoys the game

<20 hours - estimated IQ of around 85-100
20-25 hours - estimated IQ of between 125-140
25< hours - estimated IQ of roughly 60-70(average for autistic people)
Good edge reply. I like it.

Unfortunately, he is wrong. His scale is also shallow.

jungl

Augur
Battle brothers would be really cool game if it was open to modding. Like imagine replacing all the units in the battlefield with mobile suit gundam stuff and weapons to match. Also maps, music etc. Add in shoulder and leg armor that kind of stuff.

Celerity

Now now Celerity...surely nothing can be worse than the Darkest Dungeon?

I didn't say it was worse. I said it was exactly like it. There was even some guy who got censored because he knew the game better than the devs.

Phew, I thought we'd lost you there for a moment.

In all seriousness though, why is the Codex sperging about this? You correctly identified Derpest Dungeon as shit before it even launched so you're not clueless.

Celerity

I don't think he knows him but I do. Heard about it when everyone was sperging back in Early Access, which is why I ignored it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom