Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs, tactical JRPG for PC from... Polan?

hellbent

Augur
  • battle challenges make combat more puzzle-like (balancing damage dealt to kill multiple enemies with a single strike, kill an enemy by bypassing their armour, not missing with any attack, don't use authority points, etc.) and will likely make you replay battles if you aim for 100% completion / maximised gains

Generally, I'd prefer that puzzle elements in combat be more tactical in nature, like in D:OS and Blackguards where you figure out the best ways to use the battlefield environment to your advantage. But, I can see this being something worth getting into if it helps maximise stats.

• most attack abilities have cooldowns for up to a few turns (cooldowns can sometimes be modified by stuff like perks or by using certain characters' abilities)

Cooldowns in a turn-based game make some people :argh: but I don't mind if it keeps you from spamming abilities and forces the player to consider different strategies. Ideally, the encounters would be designed so cooldowns would not be needed.

• there don't seem to be any random battles - the only thing that changes is the initial position of enemies, and so far there are no battles you could repeat

This, combined with the time limits for each day and limited save points seems to indicate there won't be much grinding involved, which could be appealing.

Combat is sounding pretty appealing so far. Looking forward to seeing how things hold up once you get a few chapters into the storyline.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The biggest gripe I have with the game is the UI which looks like from a mobile game and doesn't do the game, wich is a M+K game, justice.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I like beast girl. She's a beast in combat. Especially if you have spare authority points.

The Red Knight

Erudite
They seem to be aware of this, there's a loading screen tip:
Tired of arbitrary Line of Sight rules? Hold L during battle to display which obstacles can block your vision.
It's for people with bad eyesight or display who can't see obstacles otherwise (obstacle detection: there's no grid border for them and pretty much anything that isn't a flat surface is an obstacle). Checked it once and never felt like pressing it again would be helpful during aiming.
25qckok.jpg
Still usually have to move to the general area I want to attack from and probe for a good aiming spot.
---
With the former I just meant there's little depth to them (they offer no accuracy penalty and the like - they just act as opaque walls).

Thinking about the latter again, I wonder if it might be a bug:
JBmQMRe.png
vs
8Nfx9fZ.png

Using some algorithms to make near-border parts of obstacle grids see-through (even without any accuracy penalties) would make it much easier to figure out shooting paths without placing a ruler on the screen.

Generally, I'd prefer that puzzle elements in combat be more tactical in nature, like in D:OS and Blackguards where you figure out the best ways to use the battlefield environment to your advantage. But, I can see this being something worth getting into if it helps maximise stats.
Some maps have lots of chokepoints.
I don't have a screenshot for it, but there was one map that was full of narrow passages and you were supposed to kill numerous fragile enemies with a single character on it while trying to avoid getting swarmed/surrounded. On another, if you had a jumping/teleporting unit, you could move past the barricaded side of the map and bypass unimportant-for-the-main-objective group of enemies blocking the other end of the only passable bridge. On yet another, the enemy had lots of ranged units and some tanks and you started behind obstacles that were more hindering than helpful. No interaction with the environment though.

If you know which path the enemy will likely pass through, you can cast fire wall on it (5x1 grids) and watch them trigger the damage for each grid they step on.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why does the art style "scream mobile port"? First time I hear about art styles that are mobile centric.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The biggest gripe I have with the game is the UI which looks like from a mobile game and doesn't do the game, wich is a M+K game, justice.

Really? I think the art style is far more atrocious. Screams mobile port and makes it difficult to take anything seriously

After initial skepticism when I first saw the KS, I got used to the art style (talking about the characters mostly). But the UI is cheap looking and a bit convoluted / complicated to use. And things like the Codex are really unpleasant to look at and not inviting to read the background.

The game itself is light hearted and its silliness edges on being annoying, but until now manages to stay tolerable.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Its obviously silly as it is J-whatever. But the voice acting is definitely better than for example Expeditions:Vikings where it was annoying to be honest

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Its obviously silly as it is J-whatever. But the voice acting is definitely better than for example Expeditions:Vikings where it was annoying to be honest

Yes, but Signy takes some time to get used to, there's a certain mismatch between her voice and her graphics (not necessarily her character).

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Hey I actually like Grandpa at least until now. Though he seems like the "tutorial guy" to be honest

Durwyn

Prophet
I very much like the game so far (about 2h in). That's already more than I can say about T:ToN, Wasteland 2 and PoE. Seems to have... I don't know... soul? It feels like people actually had fun creating it and honestly wanted players to have fun as well. Not the prettiest and most clever girl in the school but still the most charming one. Characters are likeable in quirky jrpg-done-right way, character mechanics and town bulding seems not too deep but servicable nonetheless and combat can be challenging at times. Hopefully it will stay this way till the end

Mark Richard

Arcane
Turns out it's a scheduling game. Every couple of months a debt collector shows up, and if he's not happy with your progress, it's presumably game over.

Thankfully that's where similarities to Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale end. Regalia seems more easy-going (at least initially, I'm only a few hours in) with a story populated by archetypes as charming as they are exaggerated. Speaking as a guy who loved Kelgar & Neeshka from NWN2, I'm smitten.

Grif

Learned
Bought this on impulse. So far, really charmed by the atmosphere. There was love put into this game and it shows.

Been awhile since I found myself smiling while reading silly banter between characters. Light hearted games are just so rare these days.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Exactly what Grif said. It's a game where I actually have some fun in a light hearted atmosphere. Plus the combat is decent and if you try to get all side-objectives can be actually pretty damn challenging.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I commend them for being lighthearted and often silly, but always, at least in my perception, just stopping shy from being annoyingly so.

One less atmospheric thing are the incremental +5% items, I hate that, but at least, that's not the only progression they have in the game.

And the UI is at times more complicated than it had to be, often requiring a few clicks too many for a simple goal.

The Red Knight

Erudite
That L key would be sooo much more practical if it were to highlight all untargettable grids with some colour, relative to the grid we'd point at with the cursor. Or highlight targettable ones instead. Maybe additionally highlight enemies too.

Pressing wait for 2 characters next to each other in the initative queue cycles between them (so I can't make both of them wait till slower enemies move).

There's a bug with the dog & the well event where negative results of it persist after you load the game and will be added to any other results you get from repeating it. Restarting the game fixes it (but doesn't help with the friendship camp event skipping).

Got first diplomatic letters at the beginning of chapter 2. Might be either because of it being the next chapter or because I encountered the two nations that sent me letters during dungeon clearing run I did at the end of chapter 1. There are two choices for each, one to boost relationship with nation A, one with the opposing nation B (there are two pairs of warring factions). Each letter increases friendship level by 1. Replying doesn't consume time. I wonder if there'll be some more complex diplomatic event(s) further down the line, or that high reputation will affect some dungeons (with neutral reputations you have both friendly CYOA events with people from these factions and combat nodes where you fight against them).
Handwriting font for the letter content + normal one for delivery/after-reading/etc. comments. The text is crossing past the left letter border, making first words in some lines harder to read (no idea if it occurs in all languages or only applies to the PL version).

After taking a closer look at the diplomacy screen, friendship rewards for all nations are:
lvl1 = two perks (mage accuracy and damage vs knight armour regen/turn, elven dodge and initiative vs imperial resistances), lvl2 = nation-specific accessories), lvl3 = character unlock , all levels bonus = national unit summon (consumable item?); level 4 seems to be required to complete two kingdom quests

Forging = picking a recipe from the list and paying for it with a few resources and a bit of money; no time consumed. For weapons it's around 3 types per character per quality tier, with one of them slightly weaker/cheaper. There are 3 quality tiers unlockable through friendship with forging characters. By the time I unlocked the blacksmith the lowest weapon tier became obsolete through after-battle loot and a round of fishing, but the second tier was worth it.

I take back what I said about obstacles - encountered some impassable fallen trees on the swamp that weren't blocking line of sight (that map also had randomised obstacle positions), and there was also a destructible enemy spawner. There even was an event that claimed it lowered battle difficulty for remaining battles. I hope there are more dungeons like this one.

First 1-2 chapters can give you the sense of urgency with their deadlines and it taking a while to complete any kingdom quest, but you eventually do enough minor things everywhere to trigger mass completions of quests and I started chapter 3 with its 5-quest quota already fulfilled.

More potato:
One of innkeeper greetings is not translated ("♪ Every day's great at your Placeholder~! ♫").
but who's the best girl?
Hmm... from the first two girls:
Signy is great at kiting, can dodge a lot, if you pump her initiative a bit she acts before anyone else and her AoEs are very nice and easier to use exactly when you want them (authority AoE has great range and the rest you can adjust with jump-positioning yourself and using one authority for a second strike). Her cross-shaped attacks are especially useful at backstabbing enemies around your tanks. The authority attack can also take down high-HP units if there's no other enemy in range to steal hits. She's somewhat less useful against groups of ranged enemies.

On the other hand, Aliss can just hide behind her summon, which is amazing at both distraction/tanking and working in synergy with her fire spam (he can deal some damage himself too). Her abilities I think deal more damage overall. If used right, fire wall will turn any battle against melee enemies into a group suicide (it requires some straight distances between you and the enemy to reach full potential though). The 3x3 fireball is amazing vs tightly packed groups of enemies and can be applied from safe distance. Fire shield buff can be cast to help any character engaging enemies with stun attacks.

Signy is great straight out of the box, with ability modifiers only making them better; Aliss needs to unlock modifiers to remove LoS restrictions from some of her abilities and without the summon she's too fragile if left alone (for normal battles with other party members present it rarely matters and with a perk or two she can stack some armour for late turns).

Haven't unlocked diplomacy characters yet.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I just lost 40-50 minutes because the load button of my previous save was in the same exact position as the "Go to save menu" button in a camp. And I double clicked by mistake. :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Are there any large maps with bridges and rivers? I think Shining Force had these, and they were nice. (Only jSRPG I've played besides FFT.)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I had one with one River and two bridges. But they did not play that big a role given that there were 6 Vs 4 characters.

Otherwise, the game was a very pleasant surprise. The silliness is bearable indeed, and the bonus objectives can be very hard to achieve. I really like the stronghold elements. They are simple, but they introduce some resource decisions.

I dislike the UI and the lack of in mission saves though. Some quests can be pretty long.

lightbane

Arcane
So this is out already? Cool! I remember using the pre-order system from their webpage a while after the kickstarter was over, so I should receive an email with a code of some kind. What I don't remember is if the pre-order was for Steam or GOG or even both.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Are there any large maps with bridges and rivers? I think Shining Force had these, and they were nice. (Only jSRPG I've played besides FFT.)
There's this one:
JZYqqUw.jpg
And this if you count chasms as rivers:
DfToUMZ.jpg
Some maps - including these two - are used for several battles each, with some changes between them (like the 2nd one with different placement/number of chasm bridges, in addition to any changes to obstacles).
As for the size... seems like most maps are 16x16 grids, with a few smaller or irregular ones thrown in. I don't think I've seen a bigger one yet.

I think there might be some randomness thrown into battle encounters, as I once avoided the second part of a two-phase battle (it's labelled as ambush, with enemies appearing on map corners and you getting "bonus" turn for any unit you haven't finished moving with yet but with any wounds and cooldowns from the first round persisting) by changing the order in which I was clearing dungeon nodes. It was an especially annoying ambush at that, with 5 red mages, 1 black mage and a side objective of not using authority points - and any not spent one greatly boosting the damage these mages dealt.
but who's the best girl?
Best waifu is Gwen
She wants to marry the debt collector and considers it a punishment.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
later in the game they introduce a wide variety of pretty inventive maps

my favourite is some dwarven outpost in the east - first you have to kill one of the officers hidden behind the lines, then turn back and escape to safety through a crowd of angry ashigaru
I did this a bit earlier today, helps a lot if you use Theo and Signy who can "hop" around fastly :)

The Red Knight

Erudite
wears bitchin glasses
That be a monocle on a chain with a nose bridge that's not attached to anything on the other side. Either it's holding up with her willpower alone or it's some painful-to-wear clip.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom