Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I really didn't like Morgana as a character. He was pretty much a totalitarian version of Teddie that wouldn't leave you alone. Plus he's a bit of a prick; guy heaps shit on Ryuji for basically the whole of the game, calling him an idiot, worthless, and pathetic to his face

Yet when Ryuji finally talks back for once, his first reaction is to have a hissy fit and leave the group.

That and the fact that he lords over your free time like some petty dictator.

decaf

Learned
I like this game. But it's too huge, way too many things happening at once with time restriction.
Hurts my OCD.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I really didn't like Morgana as a character. He was pretty much a totalitarian version of Teddie that wouldn't leave you alone. Plus he's a bit of a prick; guy heaps shit on Ryuji for basically the whole of the game, calling him an idiot, worthless, and pathetic to his face

Yet when Ryuji finally talks back for once, his first reaction is to have a hissy fit and leave the group.

Yeah, you know what, when
Morgana leaves for a few days
the way he was acting made me literally hate the motherfucker.

I like this game. But it's too huge, way too many things happening at once with time restriction.
Hurts my OCD.

Despite the people whining about the translations this is by far the biggest problem with the game.

decaf

Learned
Only found at most 5 spelling/grammar errors after 12hrs. It's p. good considering it's also an xbox huge brick of text. I understood everyone.
Class questions were bullshit. Did they expect the gaijin to google, or just everyone's gotta savescum?

As for Persona """Problems""", Persona 5 is uniquely triggering by mentioning SJW issues (rebellion, anonymity, abuse of authority etc.), but doesn't have a single librul perspective or librul solution.

No wonder SJWs are asshurt. The nips took away their issues and their fight. Someone's gotta fucking pay.

Hyperion

Arcane
Assuming the class questions are the same for the Jap and English version, I'm sure there are plenty of questions the average Japanese teenager won't know. The relationship between Arsene Lupin and Sherlock Holmes, definition of a Femme Fatale, and the history of William Kidd. I'm assuming the English teacher's questions would be challenging for them too, but cake for us. The Kanji questions are bullshit, though. And the TV questions are based off Japanese law, I'm assuming.

I wouldn't bring up SJWs, either. There are threads for that, this isn't really one of them. Japan has never really given a fuck about progressive shit*, they're an extremely conservative nation, and it was a heavy critique of Japanese (and Asian in general, I guess) culture. The main themes of the game are politicians are mostly scumbags, and that if Japan's isolationist, hyper competitive lifestyle is to change, it has to start with the young. Thus, the Phantom Thieves and the ad nauseum repetition of "shitty adults." Each playable character in the game sorta represents the antithesis of an aspect of Japanese peoples. Take Makoto for example. She starts off as the perfect Japanese girl - (presumably) cute, intelligent, driven, diligent in her studies, content with following her sister's footsteps and dragging along in the rat race. Then you level up her Confidant a bit, in conjunction with completing the 6th Palace, and...

Ann is of mixed heritage, and is treated like SHIT by schoolmates and completely ronery even though she's literally hot enough to be a model because Japs are as racist as your average KKKodexer. Ann isn't lonely as part of a state of mind either, she has literally ONE friend in Shiho, and we all know what happens there. And so on and so forth for the rest of the cast.

*Latest Tekken is an example where the Kangaroo was removed to avoid the inevitable headache from animal rights activists, not because they actually gave a shit about punching kangaroos. Another example was the bitching following the shot of 2B's perfectly shaded turd cutter and subsequent fanart. What did Yoko Taro do? Asked for all the perverted fanart in a zip file sent to him. Why? Because he's a fucking bro and DGAF.

Last edited:

decaf

Learned
They showed a Japanese drawing of some guy and asked, "who dis" and I was really confused. :negative:

Each playable character in the game sorta represents the antithesis of an aspect of Japanese peoples. Take Makoto for example. She starts off as the perfect Japanese girl - (presumably) cute, intelligent, driven, diligent in her studies, content with following her sister's footsteps and dragging along in the rat race. Then you level up her Confidant a bit, in conjunction with completing the 6th Palace, and...

Interesting. Didn't pick up on that. I thought Ann was ostracized because she's "pretty" and "slutty-looking" so classmates were jelly, typical anime trope. Ryuji was a generic "delinquent". "Shitty adults" is also a common theme on japanese shows featuring kids.

Didn't notice the anthesis yet, only at the part with rude elevator man and his MIBs. There's some sort of general scumbagginess throughout the city and the adults are up to something,
there's a fishy scene with the principal
just not sure what or why.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Take Makoto for example.
(presumably) cute

rolling-up-sleeves_2-592x220.jpg

I thought Ann was ostracized because she's "pretty" and "slutty-looking" so classmates were jelly, typical anime trope.

They thought she was a whore who slept with coach, but before that she was singled out because of her Finngolian ancestry and looks. I'm really not sure how true the foreigner trope is. I know a Scottish guy who grew up in Japan and he said that he never encountered any kind of xenophobia or racism and was well received there. The only time he did have problems with racism was, ironically, when he went back to Scotland. I know, it's only one anecdote, but still.

Last edited:

decaf

Learned
but before that she was singled out because of her Finngolian ancestry and looks
:despair:

Now that's different. Most anime have half the class being blonde half-Japanese half-indeterminate-origin and nobody even notices.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Only found at most 5 spelling/grammar errors after 12hrs. It's p. good considering it's also an xbox huge brick of text. I understood everyone.
Class questions were bullshit. Did they expect the gaijin to google, or just everyone's gotta savescum?

As for Persona """Problems""", Persona 5 is uniquely triggering by mentioning SJW issues (rebellion, anonymity, abuse of authority etc.), but doesn't have a single librul perspective or librul solution.

No wonder SJWs are asshurt. The nips took away their issues and their fight. Someone's gotta fucking pay.

They also really pissed all over the LGBTQW67+ WHATEVER IT IS NOW community because they basically portray gay dudes as creepy old men trying to hit on high school kids.

Take Makoto for example. She starts off as the perfect Japanese girl - (presumably) cute, intelligent, driven, diligent in her studies, content with following her sister's footsteps and dragging along in the rat race. Then you level up her Confidant a bit, in conjunction with completing the 6th Palace, and...

You know, she was the one I was going to try to hook up with for awhile... but then...

Red Rogue

Learned

Yeah, you know what, when
Morgana leaves for a few days
the way he was acting made me literally hate the motherfucker.

Hurts my OCD.

Despite the people whining about the translations this is by far the biggest problem with the game.

Yeah fuck Morgana in general but ESPECIALLY that bullshit he pulls mid game. After that, I made sure to utilize the most unpleasant dialog choices the game let me have in interactions with him.

Hyperion

Arcane

lol, Nice Guy(tm) Morgana spends so much time fawning over Lady Ann that I don't recall any fuss being made over Makoto outside of her intelligence, and how quick to learn she is. Maybe 1 or 2 comments by Ryuji? That dude would fuck a signpost though, so his opinion is iffy.

You know, she was the one I was going to try to hook up with for awhile... but then...

Fucking hated her to start with, partially from being massively overhyped. Then she went and
bitch slapped that airhead, while I got to threaten Noctis Lucis Caelum
Dr. Love is still waifu numero uno, even though the whole homemade medicine thing makes me cringe.

Ryuji was a generic "delinquent"
I don't watch anime, so in terms of tropes, he probably is. He's more the stereotypical dumb jock, and only stopped giving a fuck after "the incident."
He was the only one on the track team to stand up to Kamoshida's slave labor bullshit. The rest of them were being good little Japanese kids and listening to anything and everything their superior says. They thought the insane workload would be rewarded in the end. But all of the praise would be directed at Kamoshida, not the actual athletes. Believe he says that in one of his monologues.

Edit: Spoiler tags for some early game stuff.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Screenshots weren't allowed...

...But 2 million Yen later, I've got my Yoshitsune - and I fucked up, lol. Accidentally inherited Drain Phys instead of Drain Ice. Easily remedied by Summoning a Satan or something and Strengthening Yoshi. But I've sunken enough gold into him, and I guess he'll do.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I made it through with P3 to the end without doing any of that Pokemon upgrade shit (Unless it was part of the tutorial/story).

Zep--

Hyperion

Arcane
It's absolutely unnecessary on lower difficulties. But I'm nearing the end, I'm a completionist (Demon's Jacket+, Nataraja, and Roland's Medal equipped), and would like to prepare for a NG+ run in the future, which may or may not be on Hard or Merciless.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Just dropping by to inform you guys that this game's soundtrack is seriously incredible.

Carry on.

Even little ditties like the music that plays during exams is toe-tapping. I love p. much the entire soundtrack, it's marvelous.

Really, awesome music is a staple in all of the Megaten games. What a great series.

Red Rogue

Learned
Screenshots weren't allowed...

...But 2 million Yen later, I've got my Yoshitsune - and I fucked up, lol. Accidentally inherited Drain Phys instead of Drain Ice. Easily remedied by Summoning a Satan or something and Strengthening Yoshi. But I've sunken enough gold into him, and I guess he'll do.

Very nice. My best Personas were Yoshitsune and Michael. I had the resources to keep going and get Lucifer, but I was ready to see the ending.

Hyperion

Arcane
After I made Satan, I realized those top, top tier Personas aren't even that good. My Black Frost, who isn't anywhere near Min/Maxed is actually better than Satan. 25 levels lower and he has similar Magic Power, but also comes with an inherent Ice Amp, and has far better resistances. Lucifer will end up pretty much inferior to Mada on all fronts since you can get like 15 levels worth of Magic out of the guy.

Michael is fantastic because all he needs is a rank 10 Strength Confidant and some dough. The 3 prerequisite Angels + his balanced stats let you make him into anything. Arms master + Sword Dance makes a great physical single target killer. Spell Master + Cosmic Flare is just downright filthy. I think I also gave mine Charge, Debilitate, and Heat Riser. Or just say fuck it, and give him Salvation for an on demand full heal.

Also made a Zaou-Gongen with Snipe, Cripple, Auto-Mataru, and Triple Down. Between him and Michael, I was sleep walking through the final palace. Minus the ridiculous resists, ZG is as strong as Yoshitsune because of the 75% more damage buffs. Damage could be compensated with Firm Stance + Divine Pillar accessory.

I never found the fusions in the mainline SMT games fun, but I'm absolutely hooked in this one. It's probably because Confidants make it so easy to level that you don't feel forced to grind out levels to pick up those skills you want.

Last edited:

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
this is what made the P3 soundtrack memorable:

the rap shit was really, really bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom