Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware AM2R Metroid 2 remake finally released!

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok this might be an embarrassing question but how on earth do you grapple on ledges? I'm stuck 10 minutes in the game bc Samus refuses to hold on to a ledge when I jump against it :<

Pls halp

Playing with xbawks controller btw

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just press against it iirc? Depending on the area you might be able to get around it by wall jumping instead anyways. Or just bomb jumping, which is stupidly easy in this version.

I actually got stuck in this fairly late in the game. Can't recall the details of the last items I got, but suffice to say I ran out of map to explore. Blargh.

JDR13

Arcane
Never heard of this till now, but it actually looks pretty cool. Nostalgia demands that I eventually check this out.

Martius

Liturgist
Strange, grappling should happen automatically. At least it was for me while I was playing with controller too. In option there is option to disable or enable automatic climbing, maybe changing that would help.

Riskbreaker

Also, being a good game is very relevant if you like good games.
Folks enjoy -specific- kind of games. Federation Force doesn't fall under what I find enjoyable or in any way attractive, and it certainly doesn't offer anything of what I found so enjoyable in many a past Metroid game.

So, once again, it being good at what it does means absolutely nothing to me, as what it does is so far removed from that I like to play.

Brocken Jr.

Arcane
I mean, it has been 12 years since the last official 2D Metroid, Zero Mission, came out.

Maybe Federation Force is a decent game in its own right, but "Muh Metroid" complaints are just as relevant as "Muh Fallout".

Wow. It's actually been longer than the gap between Fallout 2 and 3. That's kind of saddening.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Welp the developer just announced on the development blog that there won't be any updates after version 1.1 any more.
Nintendo contacted him on his Email to stop with the project. Not sure if all download locations are down yet but best grab this game as soon as possible.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Please, don't hate Nintendo for all of this. It's their legal obligation to protect their IP.
Instead of sending hate mail, get the original M2 from the eShop. Show them that 2D adventure platformers are still a thing people want.

What a cuck.

Welp the developer just announced on the development blog that there won't be any updates after version 1.1 any more.
Nintendo contacted him on his Email to stop with the project.

Sounds about right.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Annoyingly, while the rest of the game is easy, the metroid fights are obnoxiously difficult unless you completely cheese their AI. Seriously considering just dropping this because of the omega metroid. Fuck that shit.

HansDampf

Arcane
Finally got around to this. Picked Hard difficulty, which was probably a mistake. The game is easy for the most part, but those Metroids have to be the most annoying enemies ever designed in a Metroid game. I don't mind the difficulty, but they're just frustrating to fight. And when they die, they won't even spawn energy, nothing. I don't know if they're the same in the original game on the GB, because I haven't played it. But, so far, this is the biggest gripe I have with this game. Progression is also handled a bit cheaply. After you defeat all Metroids in one area, something in the environment magically changes, and you can progress to the next area. Repeat.
Seems like a solid game otherwise, and impressive for a fan project. But I'm not sure if I'm going to finish this.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
The original game also suffered from the 'defeat all Metroids to gain access to the next part of the cave network' design, so in that case the designer is not at fault here.

The design team did make the general gameplay a bit more exciting by adding Zero Mission/Fusion elements, making the game a bit more involving and different from the original but there are some things even they can not really fix.

After the original Metroid a lot of the Metroid elements felt new, but we have had Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Zero Mission since. A lot of it feels a bit standard and seen before now.

Adon

Arcane
Annoyingly, while the rest of the game is easy, the metroid fights are obnoxiously difficult unless you completely cheese their AI. Seriously considering just dropping this because of the omega metroid. Fuck that shit.

I have a few other gripes with the game, but the Omega Metroids are easily the worst of the bunch -- as are some of the other boss fights. I understand why they felt the need to overhaul them to that extent from the original game as the Metroids were generally easy on the GB. No particular weak spots from what I recall so it was simply avoiding them and shooting with your limted aiming. Omega Metroids also weren't terribly bigger than a Gamma or Zeta Metroid -- most likely due to the limitations of the GB.

The one that I did think was improvement was the Queen which I always thought was kind of ass on the GB. It's better here in that there is a better pattern that allows you to fight her without taking much damage, but the problem is that it ends up being easy, not to mention that they shower you with too much health and missiles.

My main advice for the Omega Metroids would be to use Super Missiles. It takes way too long with regular missiles.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
You can stick to one side and hide in the wall as Morph Ball when they come too close. None of their attacks can reach you there.
Cheesy.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-fan-project-am2r-hired-to-work-on-ori-sequel

Creator of canned Metroid fan project AM2R hired to work on Ori sequel
They Chozo wisely.

Milton Guasti, creator of canned Metroid fan project AM2R, has been snapped up by Ori and the Blind Forest developer Moon Studios.

AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) was released last year - exactly a year ago yesterday - to a positive response from Metroid fans.

A full remake of Nintendo's 1991 Game Boy title Metroid 2, AM2R quickly caught the attention of Nintendo lawyers. Within a day, Guasti had received a cease-and-desist letter, and the project was shut down.

Despite being largely complete, Guasti was forced to withdraw support for AM2R (although you can still find it for download via Torrent sites).

It's not uncommon for Nintendo to police fan projects based upon its works, but unbeknown to Guasti, Nintendo was already working on its own, official remake of Metroid 2 - Metroid: Samus Returns - which was announced in June for launch on 3DS in September.)

Happily, Guasti has now been hired by Moon Studios, developer of the excellent Ori and the Blind Forest, and is now working on the upcoming PC and Xbox One sequel Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

After seeing his fan project shut down and then having AM2R's nomination at The Game Awards quietly withdrawn, it's good to see Guasti finally getting some positive news.

JDR13

Arcane
Haven't done a full playthrough, but what I've played of this seems very well done.

Did he add content that wasn't in the original Metroid 2? I don't recognize some of the scenes in that trailer.

Beastro

Arcane
Did he add content that wasn't in the original Metroid 2? I don't recognize some of the scenes in that trailer.

A good amount, especially quite a few bosses and areas where they're at as well as all the Super Metroid powers to make use of.

They fit wonderfully and don't at all come off as incongruous where it's clear they've been shoved into a game that they don't fit into.

but what I've played of this seems very well done.

I'd say it's the definitive version of Metroid 2. Even the added stuff adds nicely to Samus' story in ways that Nintendo seems to ignore seeing Samus more as a private contractor she's supposed to be (IIRC, story is tweeked to have Samus brought in to find a team while continuing their mission of wiping the Metroids out).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom