Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which PC RPGs of 2002 have you played? [top 100 voting thread]

Which of the following RPGs have you played?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
Not many to be honest : NWN, Icewind Dale 2, Gothic 2, TES 3 (not much, as I have already said in another Thread I'm not fond of this serie), Avernum 3 and Arx Fatalis.

You have forgotten Geneforge and Prelude to Darkness OP.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I can't find any citation that Prelude to Darkness is 2002. Their website seems to suggest 2005?

Geneforge was initially released on Mac in December 2001 apparently.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
I can't find any citation that Prelude to Darkness is 2002. Their website seems to suggest 2005?

Here you go : "What is Prelude to Darkness?
Prelude to Darkness is a computer role playing game (CRPG) which was released for the PC in 2002. "

Geneforge was initially released on Mac in December 2001 apparently.

True enough, I guess.

McPlusle

Savant
The good one.

Neverwinter Nights
I thought NWN1 (vanilla, I never got the expansions) was awesome as a kid but I'm kinda scared to go back to it considering how much people seem to have disliked the base game.

polo

Magister
The good one.

Neverwinter Nights
I thought NWN1 (vanilla, I never got the expansions) was awesome as a kid but I'm kinda scared to go back to it considering how much people seem to have disliked the base game.
Don't go back. I enjoyed it a lot when i was a kid, came back a few years ago and couldn't stand it. Not only it was actually bad in SP, it didn't age well either.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
NWN1 vanilla is toxic. Avoid it like ebola.

Some mods are excellent though - swordflight, the Aielund Saga ..... A dance with rogues.

:troll:

Please be aware, for this poll you are only voting for the original campaign, there will be opportunities later to vote for vault games.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Have played NWN1 passionately for over 5 years (mostly on Persistant World servers). The toolset and DM mode were something else, never really duplicated (except NWN2, I suppose, but the toolset got more difficult to use and required external programs for functions like terrain mapping).
Morrowind was quite an experience, though I got side-tracked and have never finished the main story.
MM9 was so-so, not great, but above average for an MM game after V and before X.
Dungeon Siege was a pile of steaming shit.

Out of all those titles, I'd consider only one truly essential to this day: Gothic 2.
In particular every developer who dreams of ever making open world games should have an obligation to play trough Gothic 2 at least once.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Have played NWN1 passionately for over 5 years (mostly on Persistant World servers). The toolset and DM mode were something else, never really duplicated (except NWN2, I suppose, but the toolset got more difficult to use and required external programs for functions like terrain mapping).

Please be aware, for this poll you are only voting for the original campaign, there will be opportunities later to vote for vault games. On-line worlds will never be a part of the top 100 polls. I'm guessing there are many people who have played the expanded universe who also likely tried the original campaign, but in recent years that number may not be accurate.

Endemic

Arcane
Morrowind, NWN1, Divine Divinity.

Also have IWD2, Gothic 2, Geneforge, Avernum and Arx Fatalis but haven't got around to playing them.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Please be aware, for this poll you are only voting for the original campaign, there will be opportunities later to vote for vault games. On-line worlds will never be a part of the top 100 polls. I'm guessing there are many people who have played the expanded universe who also likely tried the original campaign, but in recent years that number may not be accurate.

Obviously I did start with the OC + expansions later on. Due to the MP experience and custom modules my judgement may be skewed, but I cannot separate the experience. NWN1 was what made it possible. So its probably in my top 5 games.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Morrowind, NWN1, Divine Divinity.

Also have IWD2, Gothic 2, Geneforge, Avernum and Arx Fatalis but haven't got around to playing them.

Geneforge was technically released in December 2001 on Mac and will be in the poll for 2001.

McPlusle

Savant
Obviously I did start with the OC + expansions later on. Due to the MP experience and custom modules my judgement may be skewed, but I cannot separate the experience. NWN1 was what made it possible. So its probably in my top 5 games.
Wasn't the MP experience the focal point of NWN? Everything I've read about the game in the several years since I've played it seems to brush off the core campaign as a necessity or an afterthought.

I thought it was okay as a cheap Diablo clone.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Wasn't the MP experience the focal point of NWN? Everything I've read about the game in the several years since I've played it seems to brush off the core campaign as a necessity or an afterthought.

One of the most controversial/expansive games of all times. You'll find people that loved the main game and didn't play anything else, people who hated the main game and didn't play anything else, people who thought the main game was average/meh but loved additional single player content, people who only played on-line, people who only played the MMO, people who only enjoyed creating modules, people who only enjoyed the player made modules and people who did all of the above. Of all the aspects and positions available, the original main campaign is indeed considered the least inspiring aspect by most people.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I thought it was okay as a cheap Diablo clone.

Nah, Diablo actually had somewhat interesting skills plus loot.
Dungeon Siege on the other hand... there was no actual gameplay to be found. No decisions, no strategy, no tactics. The game plays itself and you're relegated to a few clicks here and there.

nobre

Cipher
Played Avernum 3 and Divine Divinity, liked them both a lot.

Installed Neverwinter Nights three times now, uninstalled after less than an hour each time. I don't know if that counts as having played the game.

Longshanks

Augur
Uninspiring lot for mine.

Can't count any of the TES games as played. Started Morrowind but didn't last long.

Best game would be Freedom Force. Best RPG, Icewind Dale 2 I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom