Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris admits that New Vegas is a better game than Fallout 2

I don't think it was the worst Fallout title. I do think it has issues people forgive (as I do). I worked on F2, and that had more issues.;)

I imagine Brotherhood of Steel still takes the crown for worst Fallout title.

TheWorld

Educated
I haven't played Kingmaker but I had a look and it's a pretty cool campaign! Wonder if they will translate properly the mechanics for building\running your kingdom. Hopefully there will be some good C&C and it won't simply be a tree of upgrades.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I imagine Brotherhood of Steel still takes the crown for worst Fallout title.

From the way things seem to be going, Chris'd probably put Fallout 2 on that throne because he worked on it and it had few too many bad jokes.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, nitpicking, really. Playing computer games I'm prepared to face some bugs/technical issues. Usually they are quite easily avoided/solved/fixed. Sure, if the bugs are gamebreaking for a large population and no solution is available for an extended time, then it's a problem... but usually that's not the case.

I vaguely remember the car trunk separated from the rest and the car dissapearing, is it about that? If so, it was a slight annoyance, but I wasn't bothered. Way too great a game to worry about little things like that.

Prime Junta

nitpicking

Oh come on.

Even after all the patching, F2 has significant issues. The most glaring one is the way it swings wildly between instantly lethal and soporifically easy, until the late game when it just stays at soporifically easy.

FO:NV at least continues to feel like a game all the way through.

(N.b., just to make it clear to you autists, this doesn't mean F2 doesn't deserve its place in the canon of classics. But it and Arcanum pretty much define "flawed gem.")

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
You cannot seriously compare Arcanum with Fallout 2. Arcanum fits the term "flawed gem". Maybe 8/10. Game world and atmosphere is great, character development mechanics and interactions between magic and technology awesome, but actual gameplay, such as combat, level and encounter design is quite terrible. Balance is non-existant.

Fallout 2 is more like a masterpiece with some issues.
Easily 10/10 for me. The only game I value more is PS:T.

New Vegas.. maybe 7/10. Its still an fps shooter with some nice RPG, faction and dialogue elements. With area design inferior even to Bethesda's interpretations.

Sizzle

Arcane
Played FO2 when it was first released, and, let me tell you, comparing the bugs and issues it and F:NV had at time of release is ridiculous.

F:NV had some issues (though I've personally never had more than a couple of bugs that were easily rectified with a reload), but FO2 suffered from a hell of a lot more errors, bugs and other problems.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Hehe, it ate your stuff right?

Guess so. But I generally don't leave essential equipment in external containers even if the game actually has them.
So I probably lost some stuff, but nothing of great value.
Could be more painful for a heavy weapons user.

I remember that my Highwayman's trunk regularly disappeared and reappeared, taking my items with it. And some NPCs loved to get stuck out of map, hanging the combat. But other than that I don't remember any huge bugs. Granted, I had been a while.

naossano

Cipher
On the other hand, Fo2 game box and the book coming with it were extremely explicit in the rule number one of role-playing game. Save your game, save often, use several files, and if you have the smalless doubt, it means that you probably haven't saved enough. (that, and talking to every single npc you come across)

Sizzle

Arcane
Save often, and then FO2's patch (which you were so patiently waiting for) gets released, and all those nifty saves you saved so often turned out to be incompatible with the newer game version :D

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't know why you guys assumed he was talking about bugs at all. He's criticized many aspects of FO2 before. For instance: he's said New Reno as a whole didn't fit Fallout, the game had too many pop culture references and bad jokes, and that Frank Horrigan is the worst Fallout villain.

Mikeal

Arcane
I don't know why you guys assumed he was talking about bugs at all. He's criticized many aspects of FO2 before. For instance: he's said New Reno as a whole didn't fit Fallout, the game had too many pop culture references and bad jokes, and that Frank Horrigan is the worst Fallout villain.

Nah, he's still better than Autum, President Computer, Calculator and whoever was in console spin-off.

Prime Junta

F2 had, like, a half-dozen different games crammed in it. All good, mind, but it didn't hang together or build on F1 all that well, those egregious balance issues aside.

FO > FO:NV > FO2.

In this case it's kind of nice to start and end a trilogy on the high note, even if the middle chapter is somewhat disappointing compared to them.

Developer
F2 had more issues then F:NV? Now that's... simply retarded.

Ask people who played it on release about the car.

Based on one of the bugs with the car, the trunk of the car (not the car, just the trunk) was intended to be a high Luck encounter you could find in Fallout: Van Buren.

The disembodied trunk was planned to still hold some of the Chosen One's stuff from F2 that was lost when the trunk refused to reappear attached to the car.

Ah, F2 and your many, many bugs. Still, was fun to work on it despite its flaws.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom