Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadows Behind The Throne - That Which Sleeps-inspired game

Luka-boy

Arcane
codexkkkornzcrlg.png

col2071

Novice
That guy should run a Kickstarter to develop this concept into a full game. Whatever could go wrong?
According to a post on the KDG Forums, the author posted on somethingawful that he does intend to launch a KS campaign for this :? I am by now too jaded to fall for it but I have to admit he has already delivered a lot more proof of tangible progress than our hapless friends at KDG.

col2071

Novice
Welp, SBtT released a new alpha with a promise of weekly updates and plans for a Kickstarter. Still only has one soil type, but now has Fish Men and infinitely more playable demos than TWS after 2 months as an unfunded hobby project. Surely Josh must be waay further along by now with all that extra time and money and no demo releases to serve as a distraction...

https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-behind-the-throne

+M

Got bored and left

Welp, SBtT released a new alpha with a promise of weekly updates and plans for a Kickstarter. Still only has one soil type, but now has Fish Men and infinitely more playable demos than TWS after 2 months as an unfunded hobby project. Surely Josh must be waay further along by now with all that extra time and money and no demo releases to serve as a distraction...

https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-behind-the-throne

+M

Something that actually exists? Well, I'll be damned.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well obviously, but some good art goes a long way. There are even free pieces that are quite good or pieces that can be used for free and adapted for a game.

I'd even go as far to say that I kinda like the graphics SBtT already has. They are basic and by no means pretty, but the puppet/marionette aesthetic is a great fit for the game. It just needs to be better realized by a professional artist.

BobbyTwoHands

Arcane
Developer
Hey. I'm Bobby Two Hands. I noticed my game (Shadows behind the throne) was mentioned here, and a trusted advisor said I should actually try to communicate with the general public. Dunno if it's entirely appropriate for me to be posting here, since it's not exactly my game's thread, but I figured it was probably worth a shot.

I'd like to thank the person who complimented my art, for its faceless puppet-like style. I'm sad to information you thought that the characters have no faces because I am far too bad of an artist to draw a face, not for any stylistic reasons.

I'd like to thank the person who complimented my art, for its faceless puppet-like style. I'm sad to information you thought that the characters have no faces because I am far too bad of an artist to draw a face, not for any stylistic reasons.

Sure, but it happens that this undeveloped style actually makes for quite a unique and fitting aesthetic! Certainly more interesting than generic high fantasy characters with giant pauldrons and improbable armor. Good ideas can certainly come from accidents or compromises.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey. I'm Bobby Two Hands. I noticed my game (Shadows behind the throne) was mentioned here, and a trusted advisor said I should actually try to communicate with the general public. Dunno if it's entirely appropriate for me to be posting here, since it's not exactly my game's thread, but I figured it was probably worth a shot.

But actually, it works and it is clear, so good job indeed!

BobbyTwoHands

Arcane
Developer
Just like to make clear, I definitely didn't want to do this just as an affront to Josh or anything. I really wish the guy the best, and hope it succeeds. Mostly I just wanted to play the game and wanted to have C# project to link to on my CV, so figured I'd combine the two.

On the art front I'm in contact with an artist, and intend to redo some but not all of the art, if I find the money for it. There have been delays making a kickstarter mostly due to me being terrible at marketing.

anus_pounder

Arcane

Trust me, that shouldn't stop you. It hasn't stop others.

concept1.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I made a kickstarter! You, too, can post your money to me via this here URL:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1677505065/shadows-behind-the-throne

If successful, I'll be spending the money on improving the game's art, to make it a bit more professional, as well as illustrate a bunch more of the screens, so it's got immersion and atmosphere and ambiance and all of that good stuff.
Bach music for ancient evil taking over the world?
Given that I donated for a photoshop version of the game already, I had to fund the actual existing game too, but it is really a shoestring budget. :)
Good luck!

DramaticPopcorn

I swore to never donate to kickstarters ever again but i'm considering this... :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom