Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are old Xcom worth playing? And which ones?

Emily

Arcane
I played only the enemy unknown from 2012 so far. Recommend me an Xcom tittle to play.

rezaf

Cipher
OpenXcom with the original campaign first.
Piratez! is a great mod, but it's also an endless slog with tons and tons of stuff that are hard to grasp and easy to get wrong.
If you like the original campaign, you may try it, but it's best to start with something that's not quite as grand in scope imo.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
What is "Xcom"?

Do you mean "UFO"?
xbox.jpg

Epsilon

Cipher
X-Com is a classic game, and it's not been outdone by the reimaginings. However getting it to run today is a lesson in patience as you install the old dos version through dosbox and then figure out which settings you want to use from xcomutil. With Openxcom all this becomes easy, just as long as you got the original data files you're ready to go.
A lot of people are going to tell you to play X-Piratez and while I agree that you should play it eventually, I don't think it's something you should play for the first run. Because unlike the reimagings there are many ways to play X-Com and ways to construct your base that matters. Learn to master that before playing a completely different and more complex game, which X-Piratez is.
If, however you do want to jump straight into a modded game. Get something like http://www.openxcom.com/mod/final-mod-pack this, it adds a lot of stuff and could suffeciently be described as X-Com+. Once you're bored of that, then try X-Piratez.

Original. I finally beat it for the first time a few months ago, and I've owned it for 20+ years. I can't think of a game from that year/era that has stood the test of time better. There's still absolutely zero wrong with it.

Interceptor was kind of fun - it's like a better version of Wing Commander Armada.

Personally the one I'd love a remake of is Apocalypse - with more government and corporate interactions.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All of them. This is not a joke.

Enforcer?:M
Interceptor?:M
Why not? They are "charming" in a trash movie way.

About X-Piratez:
I found it most lovely because you can have loads of fun just diving into it and following random researches, weapons, etc. You have no idea what you are doing, but (as long as you know some basics in Xcom/tactics gameplay) you will be just fine in the beginning and can improve and learn as you go.
The game is long - and it is so on purpose. No need to minmax from the get-go, although you certainly can.

I researched those superman slaves, which turned out to be nothing except a slave in a superman costume. Utterly useless, but I then took one with me on every mission for shits and giggles. One even killed two enemies.
Never figured out how to do proper voodoo (X-Piratez version of psi), though, despite following all kinds of researches. The domina outfit with kisses and lashes was the best I figured out to do. Guess I could look it up online, but... naaah.

The only real downside to the game is that there is just so much stuff to build/research/equip that it totally blows up the UI and makes scrolling pretty annoying.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I always activate line of sight psi.
I activate being able to give airplanes new orders during flight as well as aliens able to pick up weapons from ground once they dropped them for whatever reason.
I also use UI options like being able to see how many TU I will have left if I want to move to certain spots.

Hellion

Arcane
I re-played Terror from the Deep a couple of months ago after the banality that is the new XCOM games. Didn't even think about its age, easily the best X-COM game ever made.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
In XPiratez Voodoo is not very powerful initially, but it has ranged stun, and most importantly, Sense - ability to "see" enemies through walls at some distance. Very valuable in urban maps and Mansions.
There is indeed ton of items in XPiratez, but OpenXCom has lots of options to filter/organize items, which makes them usable. For example, you can copy-paste and save them in up to 20 slots.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I highly recommend UFO: Enemy Unknown and Terror From the Deep.
I also recommend Apocalypse so you can marvel at its ambitious features and curse its hideous art.

Thank you for this thread, this Piratez thing looks dope as fuck.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I played only the enemy unknown from 2012 so far. Recommend me an Xcom tittle to play.
Pirate all of them, and decide for yourself. They should release old games as freeware anyway.

Also considering what you wrote. You are probably thinking about tits.

glorious-boobs-gifs-windy.gif

Falksi

Arcane
The original UFO Enemy Unknown is still stunning to this day.
Apocalypse isn't quite as good, but still very enjoyable and worth playing.

lightbane

Arcane
Try X-Com Files if you get tired of Piratez! Is a quite fun variant of the standard X-COM experience. You'll learn to loathe Russians more than aliens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom