Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs, tactical JRPG for PC from... Polan?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I guess they dropped the Vita version. I'd be still willing to play it on the PC.

Saladin

Literate
I don't like the character design and art.
Too much of a cartoon-style.

The gameplay seems intriguing.I will try it anyway 'cause i love the genre.

I just hope that it will be more a sort of a FFT than Disgea.

Hyperion

Arcane
Combat actually reminds me of Record of Agarest War more than either of those two.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

vonAchdorf

Arcane
You forgot to link this. The game's looking better and better.

:troll:

a495a0cfb4a01e0adcaca88ed00d6769_original.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Last update : https://www.kickstarter.com/project...f-men-and-monarchs/posts/1788432?ref=activity where they're especially talking about the overall pacing of the game.

73e1f97a5b61e8578b2ceb21cda7912b_original.png

Hello everyone! We hope you are all enjoying this new year 2017. Nineteenth Development Update is upon us, one wherein we take a look at two important gameplay mechanisms of the game and showcase some new content. Enjoy!

Nonlinear gameplay in Regalia
When we set out with our Kickstarter campaign, one of the bullet points there was a game world which could be explored in a free, nonlinear way. Let's discuss briefly how it works.

Chapters

Regalia is divided into six chapters. Each chapter, while being a part of the overall structure, is also a self-contained entity in terms of gameplay and story. Each chapter will feature its own mini story arc, introduce new characters (playable or otherwise), and will also come with its own set of requirements to complete.

Time is a finite resource in Regalia - as such, each of the chapter's requirements must be completed before a deadline. These requirements usually (with exceptions, of course!) consist of two major parts:

• a number of Kingdom Quests must be completed before the deadline
  • a Story Quest must be completed before the deadline
While you will be given a new set of requirements with each chapter, the game will nevertheless give you free reign in how and when to tackle them. There is no hand holding involved at all, meaning each Chapter can be completed in many different ways. This is made possible through the use of the aforementioned Kingdom Quests.

Kingdom Quests

While the main story hobbles along from chapter to chapter, the central mechanic of each is the concept of rebuilding your city and paying off the massive debt that looms over Kay's head.

To achieve that, you will need to complete a set of Kingdom Quests each Chapter. The exact number of quests will depend on your selected difficulty level and your progress in the storyline. The kicker here is that it's not your traditional list of tasks that rotates after each chapter - that would result in a linear progression, and that's something we wanted to avoid.

Instead, as soon as the game begins, you will be given this large set of all possible Kingdom Quests to complete in a game (over 50 now and counting!). It's completely up to you which one you'll choose to complete and/or in what order. Do you feel like focusing on Social Links in this Chapter? There are Kingdom Quests for that. Perhaps you want to focus on clearing dungeons? Here you go. Extended participation in mini-games like fishing? Yep.

fd10433bd71054a5ea35cc4979f0475f_original.png

This list is WIP. More quests are coming!
The game only asks you to complete a set number of them by a given date. The rest is up to you!

Main Story Quests

These are required to progress the main plot of the game. While the story itself stays linear, you can choose to complete these Main Story Quests whenever you feel like it, as long as you make it before the deadline.

Free-roam in the World

Again, there is no hand holding here - which means that right from the get go, you are able to set course for a Dungeon and start adventuring and killing stuff. Clearing Dungeons within specific regions unlocks the so-called "High Threat" Dungeons, or, more precisely, harder areas that crown a specific region. Alternatively, you could clear all the easier stuff first and come back for the difficult content later. It's up to you!

5e44e5d4933bb429be3ee2f68eeea956_original.png

Fishing!

One of our stretch goals is now finally fully implemented in-game! You'll first need to upgrade your town's Pier to gain access to the fishing tools, but as soon as that little obstacle is dealt with...fishing time!

Fishing takes a full day off your calendar. During that time you'll be able to attempt the minigame five times. This number can change based on the different factors in play (more on that in a second).

742ec05890c61d30c295393b865fc80c_original.png

_

The mini-game will challenge your reflexes in the vein of, say, Mortal Kombat's Test Your Might. To catch your fish, you'll basically have to keep pulling, aiming to keep the fish in a "sweet spot" for the required amount of time. Pull too slowly, and the fish will flee. Pull too quickly, and the line will break!

You may ask: okay, but I'm a king, why would I want to fish? Because of the rewards, of couse! Fishing lets you catch three distinct types of stuff: fish, items and junk. Junk is pretty self-explanatory. It serves no purpose in the game itself, but it can be sold at Haksun's so it's not completely worthless (and there are multiple quality levels of junk as well!). Items are various equippable trinkets for your characters. The chance of catching an item is the lowest of all three types, so be ready for a challenge! Oh, and since this is a lake, there juuust might be a very, very, veeeery rare sword for you to catch. There might even be an achievement for doing that! Finally, you can catch Fish (duh!). So what can you do with fish? Well, you can use them in battles of course! Think of them as an exotic consumable item: some may buff your guys when they eat them, others may explode when thrown. Who knows what you'll catch?

Finally, you can cheat a little and improve your chances of catching rarer and cooler stuff either by increasing your Social Link with Shichiroji or applying special baits to the fishing hook. Both of these modify your fishing attempts in various way. They can grant additional fishing attempts during the day, increase chances of finding a specific type of item or outright increase chance of finding rare stuff.

a508f5dfc63aa8a2c86bc3d417230a4c_original.png

_

Combat School, part 4

This month we take a look at Theo, our very own vampiric hairdresser.

7fe605c2962308f915c231148c3b8533_original.png

_

New Content
First three finished Faction Units revealed!

Gnomish cavalry! On turtles! With spears! Woooooo!

f115bcbb943ec607e4f230eddd07b198_original.png

One should not ask: "why turtles?" Instead, the true question is: "why not?"
_

Also, it's time to put on your robe and a wizard hat. The Shedurians have arrived!

ea694babec4e55f68f8b9ccc9769f322_original.png

In Shedu, spellcasting and proper nail care are mutually exclusive concepts.
_

And now for something completely different. We move north, to the cold domains of the Fair Folk...

327de99a269717be2d1c02a7cea04044_original.png

We come from the land of the ice and snow / From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow!
_

It's a B-b-backer Boss!

We're extremely proud to present the first Backer Monster for you to vanquish in Regalia!

b07cb64062b628ae7947f15c298bcc4e_original.png

Hi.
_

New battleground

It's been a while since we have seen these, hasn't it? This month we have something different, an indoor battleground, so a true dungeon. It's also modular, which enables us do some cool stuff with the different shapes of the battle grid.

58540bec6cb3763a0fd457d390629544_original.png

If you squint, you may spot a seagull.

_

Night has fallen over Rashytil

We're improving the visual variety of all the different backgrounds in the game by creating their night versions. A sample of the eye-candy below!

27228cf894f9a94ae84012293e940d5f_original.png

_

_

925201c2aa958531002606112577900c_original.png

_

New 3D Models

3a69476b9882e9388defee0bde0f8807_original.png

_

9c53290820602601e80e6c6f4ab7e6a8_original.png

_

Cool Stuff
Did you know that Theo can teleport around the battlefield in a true vampire way? Think of the tactical possibilities!

0df68555b8217f6e1946227b1fd870d0_original.gif

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This really seems to be shaping up nicely! I'm glad to see the battlefields get lots of variations too.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maxie did you pledge? If so, did you get a key already? I didn't yet, I guess we will tomorrow but just wondering

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
So guys just 1.5 hour in:

- The game is a J-SRPG. The mood is like that. There is the usual kind of goofy humor going around.
- The voice acting is really good for what it is. Every character is clearly memorable from the get go and there is quite decent humor in a cartoony kind of way. The intro/first cutscenes have a lot of it but it's skippable. I highly suggest to not skip first time though.
- The combat so far seems ok-ish. You have movement points and actions, you can move freely and do your action whenever you want (for example move 3 steps, do the action and then move 2 more steps).There are also some interesting mechanics with shields(sort of an armor...resource?) and extra actions, ultimate abilities and so on but I'm very early in the game to see how these work exactly.
- The dungeons have a kind of.. Darkest Dungeon approach. You have battles where if you lose someone he will remain down for the next battles until you find a "camping area" in the dungeon. Also the camping areas are the only places you can save in dungeons. I find this mechanic kinda cool tbh but again, its very early.
- The artstyle is good, only the backgrounds seem a little... blurry? Not so nice as the character portraits for example.
- There seems to be a lot of different kinds of management(town building, diplomacy and so on) but of course I didn't really get into them yet.

*Also there are CYOA parts in the dungeon which will give different results.
**The battles have a main objective and optional ones for extra exp and loot. The enemy placement and rewards are apparently randomized (I replayed one battle already to get all optional objectives)

Last edited:

Zetor

Arcane
Hmmm, interestink. How's character development (stats, skills, classes) and customization (equipment, consumables, etc)? The screenshots were suggesting an abstract advancement model with relatively little player input (like Banner Saga / Hellenica), hoping that's not the case.

Also, once you get a bit deeper in - how varied and ~tacticool~ are the encounters? IMO these games depend on strong encounter design, and the randomization may detract from that...

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Talking out of memory now since I'm at work.. Stats and skills there are a lot (and btw you can at any time during combat see all the stats and effects on your characters and enemies too) but the leveling system.. I'm a bit confused by it so far. It's soon though. Apparently you gain EXP as a "party" not for each character individually. Don't know how that works.

Item slots seem to be few but after the 3rd battle I already got a "unique" randomized item (it was the battle I played twice and first time I got something different). It seems that extra objectives in battle reward you with extra exp and extra chances to get "unique items".

Will tell you about the encounters. The few so far did have some cool features (for example a boss that took damage when you killed one of its minions)

The Red Knight

Erudite
Some notes taken during playing

General:
  • levelling up unlocks perk slots, there doesn't seem to be the any assigning of stat points on levelup
  • you change stats by equipping a different weapon/accessory and perks - most perks seem to be of the "+X/+X% of something", like +100HP or +4% accuracy, but there are also perks that change how a specific character's combat ability works (like making it ignore line-of-sight for the purpose of selecting targets but removing its secondary ability of involving a status effect); better perks may occupy more than one perk slot
  • stats are limited to combat-related ones like damage, initiative, accuracy, initial armour and resistances/resistance-bypassing
  • friendship events are only available at certain days of the week (there's a calendar button in the top left corner that gives a table of characters' plans for each day); some of these events are CYOA that determine how much friendship points (needed for unlocking new friendship tiers) you'll get; friendship and plot events consume days/turns
  • friendships and diplomacy (the latter is not used in the early game so I don't know how exactly it works yet) unlock new perks or give some other benefits (like inn owner making friendshipping easier, and combat characters giving perks either related to their skills or available for everyone)
  • kingdom quests that you need to complete to progress seem to involve all game aspects (making friends, gaining levels, upgrading buildings, forging, fishing, clearing dungeons)
  • you need to finish a certain amount of kingdom quests (+ any chapter-specific main quest) before the given day limit runs out (supposedly it's game over then)
  • loading screens have "click to continue" when the location finishes loading, which is nice for reading any tips and event summaries, but is tedious to click through if you do any backtracking between town areas because every location change = loading screen
  • references to various things everywhere, but personally I haven't found them overly irritating (some were amusing too)

Town:
  • upgrading town is on a very basic level - there are like 8 buildings and each of them has 1-3 upgrades available; new buildings appear to be tied to story progress too; you spend resources you gain from dungeons on upgrading and it unlocks some stuff (initial upgrades are about new features and further ones determine how high your friendship level with the person living there can get)
  • haven't gotten to forging yet, supposedly you have to balance spending resources between forging and building upgrades
  • one of building upgrades unlocks fishing; you can spend a day to fish X times (5 attempts + more from better lures and befriending the tavern drunk) in an attempt to get battle consumable fishes (they seem useful) or other things (e.g. merchandise, equippables); minigame = wait patiently till the game decides that there's something to catch (clicking before that apparently wastes an attempt), then keep clicking mouse button to get the fish bar into a designated area and try to keep it there for a few seconds

World map & dungeons:
  • travelling between world map nodes takes a day for each
  • on dungeon maps you can travel between nodes without losing days - only interacting with them consumes time; you can't pass beyond an unfinished node unless you've already explored the node on the other side
  • CYOA events can give you unique items or lead into a battle (at least one such battle turned out to be for higher level and/or bigger party, as the side objectives were unreachable for the starting party of 3)
  • health replenishes between battles if the character is still alive at the end of the combat
  • you can only save in camp nodes in dungeons (no saving on world map), and these are one use
  • clearing a dungeon unlocks neighbouring ones
  • saving and reloading on a camp map gives you the next friendship dialogue option (so can be abused to see more of them), but there's a bug in which you can lose some conversations if you save, talk and then load the game without saving (seems to be the first conversation on that camp?)

Combat:
  • facing direction in combat is irrelevant
  • some enemies take more space than one tile, which affects their movement, but abilities targetting multiple grids only hit them once
  • battle challenges make combat more puzzle-like (balancing damage dealt to kill multiple enemies with a single strike, kill an enemy by bypassing their armour, not missing with any attack, don't use authority points, etc.) and will likely make you replay battles if you aim for 100% completion / maximised gains
  • you can speedup battle animations with F1-F4 keys, and all important buttons have always-visible tooltips for hotkeys associated with them
  • obstacles completely block line of sight (i.e. there's no partial obstruction of view, even if the obstacle happens to be 20 cm tall)
  • line of sight can be unintuitive (e.g. I'm not able to shoot diagonally like this:
    XO
    PXD
    with P - attacking character, O - target, X - other characters, but if D character were to shoot at O they'd hit)
  • authority points (you get 1 per turn, stackable up to 5) work as a common action point pool in addition to the one ability point each character gets; authority can also be spent to fuel powerful special abilities (all characters so far have the cost of 2 authority points for these)
  • 5 abilities per character and all are available from the get-go; each character has an unique set of abilities with a different focus (e.g. main character has mostly buffs and no attacks without a cooldown, beast girl has all kinds of AoE centered around her, knight guy has precise single-target strikes) and some change their effect depending on whether you target an ally or an enemy;
  • most attack abilities have cooldowns for up to a few turns (cooldowns can sometimes be modified by stuff like perks or by using certain characters' abilities)
  • stun effects either lock you out of any non-movement actions or make you completely unable to do anything
  • once had a taunted enemy attack another target when they couldn't reach the taunting character, but he still tried to get closer first
  • some attacks bypass armour (e.g. the beast girl's panic roar and the knight guy's authority-fueled strike)
  • different enemies can have different attack and movement patterns (most will still charge at the neareast target, but some prefer to keep their distance); enemies can have skills that they might use when heavily wounded or activate on death
  • there don't seem to be any random battles - the only thing that changes is the initial position of enemies, and so far there are no battles you could repeat
  • enemies can be rather hard-hitting and charging blindly into a group of them is not advised, but the main challenge comes from trying to fulfill additional objectives (say, go the easy way of killing just the boss or surviving X turns vs try to win by wiping all enemies out before turn Y)
  • at least one attack ability (whirlwind strike) executes right after clicking its button, missing the targetting step other abilities get (annoying to lose an action point discovering this if you wanted to check how much damage said attack would deal to the target)
  • you can cancel any movement you did if you haven't used an action yet (so while you can move after attacking, you can't reverse any further movement you do)
  • delaying a turn can only be used if said character hasn't acted at all yet, moves you behind the next character/enemy in initiative queue and there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many times you can delay acting that way
  • the "retry battle" button I think is only available after you finish the battle - retreating takes you back to the dungeon map
  • damage-over-time effects like mage's fire wall seem to count towards "kill all enemies with a single character" challenge; summoning mid-battle counts as +1 party member for limited party challenges

Potato:
  • no Polish dub (EN dub + PL text)
  • Polish version seems fine; at few points the translation is overly literal and in one place there wasn't enough width in the text frame and one word got its last letter cut off into the next line
  • didn't bother reading any background stories yet

vonAchdorf

Arcane
  • obstacles completely block line of sight (i.e. there's no partial obstruction of view, even if the obstacle happens to be 20 cm tall)
  • line of sight can be unintuitive (e.g. I'm not able to shoot diagonally like this:
    XO
    PXD
    with P - attacking character, O - target, X - other characters, but if D character were to shoot at O they'd hit)
They seem to be aware of this, there's a loading screen tip:

Tired of arbitrary Line of Sight rules? Hold L during battle to display which obstacles can block your vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom