Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Russian studio Owlcat Games to develop Pathfinder CRPG, Chris Avellone onboard as narrative designer

deuxhero

Arcane
i remember when the term "non-linear" would excite me and conjure images of limitless adventures in the rpg.

now it is a huge red flag that the game will have bad design.

Assuming it's not a massive deviation from the module it will be a hexcrawl with a few plot important dungeons you need to hit each chapter+some optional ones+some sidequests in your town(s).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just look at Paradox going "the nostalgia bubble is over" about why Tyranny failed... they all probably considered another old school RPG as a "risky" project and went in search of a slam dunk.

:slamdunk:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Was Tyranny turn based? I didn't think it was.
Using nostalgia as a way to sell products is bullshit. Nostalgia is attempting to cash in on something by aping qualities of the other. That's what Obsidian has been doing. Aping.

Divinity Original Sin is hardly nostalgic in any way. The combat is original and highly fluid despite being turn based. Tons of options.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Provided it's not a bullshot, I'm actually quite happy with the graphics. Kinda evokes the Rage of Mages/Evil Islands aesthetic (if that's what they were going for)

3_1.jpg

evil-islands-curse-of-the-lost-soul-image318931.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

so how about that Paizo and Obsidian partnership hahah
Likely ended after the failure of Tyranny.

Eh? Would make more sense to say failure of Pathfinder Adventures.

But Obsidian were never going to work on a Pathfinder CRPG to compete with their own fantasy RPG franchise. Not anytime soon, at least. Also it's much cheaper to use Russians.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Just look at Paradox going "the nostalgia bubble is over" about why Tyranny failed... they all probably considered another old school RPG as a "risky" project and went in search of a slam dunk.

:slamdunk:
Tyranny shat on everything that made old school great and well old school. Now they found an escape goat a nostalgia bubble. If they would have been funded through KS it would have been KS fatigue.

Last edited:

hivemind

imagine how shit the environment at obsidian has to be that avellone would prefer to slut around for random shitgames instead of working for them

I personally think sawyer and cain sexually harassed him

ArchAngel

Arcane
Whenever I say something even remotely bad about Obsidian our news jew always butthurts the post. One could start thinking he is also butthurt about something in connection with Obsidian. You applied for a job there news jew and still waiting for a response (even after few years)?

TigerKnee

Arcane
I wonder how many people was hooked at "Pathfinder CRPG" and "Chris Avellone" before all the details like being RTWP start rolling in and extinguishing all hope.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The only good thing about this Russian dev is that their entire business burn rate is around $10k/month.

Paradox may talk about the "bubble", but when you can make games almost for free, you don't have to care.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tyranny shat on everything that made old school great and well old school. Now they found an escape goat a nostalgia bubble.

It's absolutely nostalgia tho. Just like Grimrock - first one sold what, a million? Mostly to 35-somethings who played crawlers in the early 90s and thought they still like them. So they bought LoG1 en masse and realized they really don't anymore. Didn't give a shit about LoG2 afterwards. Same for adventures or isometric RPGs. Initial enthusiasm turned into indifference. These genres never had the potential to sell in millions and never will.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Tyranny shat on everything that made old school great and well old school. Now they found an escape goat a nostalgia bubble.

It's absolutely nostalgia tho. Just like Grimrock - first one sold what, a million? Mostly to 35-somethings who played crawlers in the early 90s and thought they still like them. So they bought LoG1 en masse and realized they really don't anymore. Didn't give a shit about LoG2 afterwards. Same for adventures or isometric RPGs. Initial enthusiasm turned into indifference. These genres never had the potential to sell in millions and never will.

Shity projects that are uninspiring, poorly executed and incomplete tend to suffer from "nostalgia bubbles", "KS" fatigues" and other negative effects more often.
I am not sure if I will buy next games due to quality issues, but you can call it what it is "garbage fatigue".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom