Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Codex top 100 PC RPGs results thread

Art thou content?

• Yes

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 40 72.7%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
2003 results:

1. The Temple of Elemental Evil [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
2. Gothic 2: Night of the Raven* [automatic qualification, top half to midway guaranteed]
3. Silent Storm [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
4. Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark* [play-off place for any remaining positions]
5. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of the Undredtide* [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

2002 results:

1. Gothic 2* [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
2. Arx Fatalis [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
3. Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
4. Divine Divinity [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
5. Icewind Dale 2 [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
6. Freedom Force [play-off place for any remaining positions]
7. Prelude to Darkness [play-off place for any remaining positions]
8. Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind: Tribunal [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]
9. Neverwinter Nights 1* [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

2004 Results:

1. Vampire: The masquerade: Bloodlines [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
2. Neverwinter Nights 1: Vault of Games* [play-off place for any remaining positions]

2001 Results:

1. Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
2. Gothic 1 [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
3. Wizardry 8 [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
4. Anachronox [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
5. Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal* [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
6. Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter* [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
7. Geneforge 1 [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
8. Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster* [play-off place for any remaining positions]
9. Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

2005 Results:

angelika-anya-170x113.jpg

2000 Results:

1. Deus Ex [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
2. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
3. Icewind Dale [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
4. Diablo 2 [play-off place for any remaining positions]
5. Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption [play-off place for any remaining positions]
6. Might and Magic 8 [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]
7. Nox [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

2006 Results:

1. Neverwinter Nights 2* [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
2. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic [play-off place for any remaining positions]
3. Gothic 3 [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

1999 Results:

1. Planescape: Torment [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
2. Jagged Alliance 2 [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
3. System Shock 2 [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
4. Might and Magic 7: For Blood and Honor [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
5. Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast* [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]

2007 Results:

1. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer* [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
2. The Witcher [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
3. Eschalon: Book 1 [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

1998 Results:

1. Fallout 2 [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
2. Baldur's Gate [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]
3. Might and Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
4. Return to Krondor [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

2008 Results:

1. Mount and Blade* [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
2. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir* [play-off place for any remaining positions]
3. King's Bounty: The Legend [play-off place for any remaining positions]
4. Drakensang: The Dark Eye [play-off place for any remaining positions]

1997 Results:

1. Fallout [automatic qualification, top half guaranteed]

2009 Results:

1. Knights of the Chalice [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
2. King's Bounty: Armoured Princess [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

2010 Results:

1. Mount and Blade: Warband [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
2. Drakensang: The River of Time [play-off place for any remaining positions]

1996 Results:

1. The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
2. Diablo [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
3. Realms of Arkania: Shadows Over Riva [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]

1995 Results:

1. Albion [automatic qualification, midway at least guaranteed]
2. Stonekeep [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

2011 Results:

1472316759083s.jpg

2012 Results:

1. Legend of Grimrock [may squeeze in 95+ish, but seems unlikely]

2013 Results:

1. Expeditions: Conqistador [play-off place for any remaining positions]
2. Shadowrun Returns [play-off place for any remaining positions]

*Game may be merged with other games if that seems more logical than listing them separately.

I've included a simple poll here for which you can change your vote as much as you want as more results come in for more years polls, simply asking you to verify if things are going in a way that makes you content.

Next poll: 1994 coming soon (?)

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Please note, while Knights of the Old Republic scored ok some additional double-checking research I did this evening provided me with information that this game was initially released on console and did not get a PC release until some months later, causing an automatic disqualification. The game will be relisted in any future list of console top games.
This is dumb bro. Really great games like Dragon's Dogma, Valkyria Chronicles, KotOR 2 and Dark Souls also had this kind of late port. :/

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Please note, while Knights of the Old Republic scored ok some additional double-checking research I did this evening provided me with information that this game was initially released on console and did not get a PC release until some months later, causing an automatic disqualification. The game will be relisted in any future list of console top games.
This is dumb bro. Really great games like Dragon's Dogma, Valkyria Chronicles, KotOR 2 and Dark Souls also had this kind of late port. :/

I have no doubt those games have a lot of fans. It's quite difficult to go a few days without someone claiming Dark Souls is the best game ever, for example. However, this is just a list of PC games. Bundling both console and PC games into the same chart will just have people voting hate votes towards console games because they are console games. If you look on the bright side and imagine a separate list of console games then Dark Souls has a very good chance of being in the no.1 spot. If I was a Dark Souls fan I would prefer that than having it beaten in the charts by some old game I'm never likely to play. Having games like the ones you mentioned be 'also rans' instead of stars of the show because of a desire to mix charts seems counterproductive to fans of both platforms.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
His point is probably that it looks and plays like a console/Japanese RPG.
Which would be a dumb point to begin with.

Alkarl

Learned
Voted No for dumb, poorly thought out exclusivity rules. I think a better idea would be a top # based on subgenre, instead of whether or not there is a laymans version available on console.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
this is just a list of PC games.

So is Anachronox allowed ? See the problem there ?

Maybe if you bothered to express why you consider it a problem?

Because it's a "console game". Restricting games like Kotor while admitting games like Anachronox defeats the whole purpose of a "PC RPGs" top 100. Unless you're going for the nominator "top 100 RPGs first released on PC". In which case, who gives a shit ?

what is a CRPG ? :smug:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Because it's a "console game". Restricting games like Kotor while admitting games like Anachronox defeats the whole purpose of a "PC RPGs" top 100. Unless you're going for the nominator "top 100 RPGs first released on PC". In which case, who gives a shit ?

But that's complete bollocks. And anyway, why don't you wait and find out whether it gets anywhere before flipping your shit over trivialities anyway you hysterical twat?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

But that's complete bollocks. And anyway, why don't you wait and find out whether it gets anywhere before flipping your shit over trivialities anyway you hysterical twat?

Relax.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Relax.

It's all really quite simple.

I'm not curating a list of what any single random XYZ codexer thinks is monocled design, including myself. I'm simply providing the means by which a useful and informative poll can get created that closely matches the clientele of the site as best as possible. The rules for inclusion are mechanical and straight forward:

Was the game released on the PC platform for a PC audience? If the answer is yes, its on the list. I'm very sorry, but some games you don't like will be on a list somewhere. Duh.
Was the game released on a console platform for a console audience? If the answer is yes, its not on the list of PC games, it will be on a list for console games. There will be some games you like which don't appear on the list of PC games as a result. Duh.
Was the game released on a combination of both PC and console platforms at the same time? If the answer is yes, it's not on the list, it will be on a list for multiplatform games. There will be some games which you like not appearing on the list of PC games as a result. Duh.

All games that you either don't like or do like will appear on a list somewhere if they meet with the approval of the wider clientele, whether you like that or not. Duh.

Now, I can understand getting in a paddy about a game you loathe being listed, that is why, in phase 2 of the voting process, you are permitted the opportunity to express this and tell a game to fuck off.

What aspect of the process are you misunderstanding?

20150504-nhung-tinh-huong-sieu-kho-do-tren-bai-bien-2-10.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
2002 turned out to be quite a bumper year with lots of potential top 100 games being released, mostly quite unanimously.

I wonder who was the guy who voted for Gothic 2 to fuck off, lol. Poor fella, I bet they end up in lots of arguments :lol:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
2004 might not have been a stellar year for PC RPGs but there was more activity than expected and enough to drag 2 games onto the shortlist, which is more than enough for the purposes of this endeavour.

skycycle

Educated
Is there a master topic with links to all polls + the rules somewhere? I only came up with this way of getting to them, but I'm still missing 2003, perhaps you can add them all to the first post of this thread?

Also curious if any of the polls might be briefly re-opened, and what is the time span between each poll? (don't want to miss others if I'm away or something)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Is there a master topic with links to all polls + the rules somewhere? I only came up with this way of getting to them, but I'm still missing 2003, perhaps you can add them all to the first post of this thread?

Also curious if any of the polls might be briefly re-opened, and what is the time span between each poll? (don't want to miss others if I'm away or something)

This thread was the initial thread:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...erate-an-acceptable-list-of-best-rpgs.114956/

This thread was the initial thread for phase 2 of voting:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...erate-an-acceptable-list-of-best-rpgs.115079/

Both are the threads where the rules were debated and settled on.

No polls will be re-opened and it's kinda bad form to re-bump closed polls. Each poll is up for one week, so two weeks of polling per year. The idea of the polls is to get an accurate idea of the tastes of those who populate the forum, so it stands to reason that if you are a more casual user your views are less important anyway ;) haha, cos it wont be you people end up in arguments with in most likelyhood and etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom