Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Does MCA feel any shame to prostitute himself like this?
Assuming that at each layover he spends some time educating the folks who actually do the writing, worldbuilding, etc., isn't this more like being a roving evangelist, a role consistent with his having primarily been a conference lecturer while at Obsidian? Like, maybe he made the judgment that the biggest contribution he could make to game storytelling was improving many game storytellers' craft in some marginal way, rather than telling a handful of great stories himself.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Found an interesting thing in Obsidians Pathfinder survey. It seems they knew My.com was publishing a Pathfinder RPG:

lIxDPdp.png

Edit: The survey has been up since at least october 2016.

Last edited:
On the one hand, quite a few games that they've listed are genuinly good. On the other - I need to dig up what were their roles in Nival. because they could be only tangentially connected to all that games . Oh, and Allods Online was shit, and my.com doesn't inspire any confidence. Then again, if the team is made from mostly Russian neckbeards - then it won't have SJWs.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I realize "My.com" is a real game company but honestly on that list it might as well have been "kingcomrade."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apan It wasn't Obsidian's survey, it was Paizo's. Obsidian just linked to it.

Actually it could have even been My.com's, they just said it belonged to a "partner".

Don Peste

Arcane
Assuming that at each layover he spends some time educating the folks who actually do the writing, worldbuilding, etc., isn't this more like being a roving evangelist, a role consistent with his having primarily been a conference lecturer while at Obsidian? Like, maybe he made the judgment that the biggest contribution he could make to game storytelling was improving many game storytellers' craft in some marginal way, rather than telling a handful of great stories himself.
MCA is the Klaus Kinski of video games.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Do we know if this game plans to use an adaptation of the actual Pathfinder rules, or is it going to be "inspired by" like Sword Coast Legends?

I'm willing to forgive a lot of crap in a game if I can get my (almost)D&D fix.

Even though it's super generic fantasy it doesn't feel that bad to have an actual Pathfinder game, would be even better if it was turn based and used the actual rules of the game. And Avellone is working on it so all in all these news aren't so bad.

Game probably won't even be out until late 2020 anyways.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I saw at least two Ru bros here, so if any decent news will appera, "you'll know it first".
Aside that I can't say anything about game, except that some girl on pic definitely is cosplaying Cloud.

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane

"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches."

Agree or disagree, I think it applies to writers more so than most other professions. The old adage that you can't teach creative writing is a fact, and anyone in Avellone's position would do better to lead by example, than to teach by principle. This would be the case even were we to ignore the fact that his various attempts to teach other writers have produced very few fruits, probably because he is simply too nice to be a proper critic. The industry does not need more arrogant writers who could boast that their writing was praised by Chris Avelllone. It needs more actual Chris Avellones.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches."

Agree or disagree, I think it applies to writers more so than most other professions. The old adage that you can't teach creative writing is a fact, and anyone in Avellone's position would do better to lead by example, than to teach by principle. This would be the case even were we to ignore the fact that his various attempts to teach other writers have produced very few fruits, probably because he is simply too nice to be a proper critic. The industry does not need more arrogant writers who could boast that their writing was praised by Chris Avelllone. It needs more actual Chris Avellones.
This "Maxim for Revolutionists" has always struck me as somewhat unfair, and in any case makes little sense when applied to this circumstance, where the way he'd be teach would be by working alongside and above various writers and critiquing their work. In any event, I think it's incorrect that you cannot be taught creative writing. Many of the problems of game writing are not at the level of "a lack of a spark of brilliance" or "a lack of a powerful authorial voice" or "a lack of a surprising novelty in the plotting." Rather, they're basic structural issues that writers could be taught to avoid, the same way basic narrative and non-narrative structure is taught in other media. I think it is true that even a great teacher cannot make Cormac McCarthy out of a clownish university student, but that doesn't mean that some basic instruction wouldn't help the student improve.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Brief Q&As on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/user/Thainen
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/6borv0/we_are_making_a_pathfinder_kingmaker_crpg/

We are using the Unity engine.

Combat will be realtime with pause.

Is the barbarian iconic Amiri going to be in it, and can I fuck her?

Yes, she will be there! You can see her on the picture.
Romance with companions will be a feature, but I can't tell you yet if Amiri will be romanceable.

You can create your own character: race, class, gender, name. I can't say anything about other available options yet. We'll reveal more in the following couple of weeks!

Right now we can tell this much: we are adapting the original as faithfully as possible, trying to keep all of its awesome stuff in, and expand on it, like any GM would. Some changes are inevitable, and some surprises are on their way, too, but it is Kingmaker in more than just name.

I wonder how close to the Adventure Path plot they plan to run, and if the ultimate endgame is still going to be the sort of surprise villain reveal you saw in the tabletop.

Yes, it was our (as in, mr. Avellone's) first concern: the original is awesome, but its overall story structure is a bit jumbled. We are doing our best to keep as much as possible from the original material, while also giving it a better pacing and a more coherent storyline.

Yes, the original campaign has problems with pacing and the overall plot presentation. You can expect a leaner, more coherent story, with most of the old encounters intact -- and some surprises as well.

And most of other answers are "more details are coming soon"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom