Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

HansDampf

Arcane
Are there any modern first person games with working mirrors?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nope, it really is that hard and expensive.

HansDampf: None I know off-hand but I imagine any game using player models should have mirrors.

Divinity: Original Sin
Mirrors are a complete waste of fucking time in a First Person game. It requires every player action be animated in third person, as well as first.

The problem is that many FPS games have a full player character avatar, that's also fully animated. And even 3rd person shooters suffer from non working mirrors. And even when you don't have a fully animated main character, you could aways borrow the NPCs animation.

Anyway, I don't think it has to do with cpu/gpu horse power also, since I guess a game like portal work ok a it renders sometimes multiple instances of the same room without a framedrop.

I believe it's just lazyness.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Does anyone think weapon durability used to be a thing in Prey during development? I'm sure one of the loading tips mentions this, and being able to fabricate weapons would have made much more sense if they broke down after a period of time.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone think weapon durability used to be a thing in Prey during development? I'm sure one of the loading tips mentions this, and being able to fabricate weapons would have made much more sense if they broke down after a period of time.

It was a thing yes as well as trauma system (burns, broken bones) and oxygen management (the more your suit was damaged, the more it leaked oxygen).
Arkane mentioned multiple times they want to release a "survival" patch bringing back thoses features.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
About the trauma system:

zsE8o06.png

Concussion - Reduced psi capacity || Reduced resistance to psychic and fear attacks || Blurry vision
Use Brained pills or visit a Medical Operator. Neuromod installation also removes concussions.

Fracture - Movement impaired || Cannot sprint
Use a Skeletal Repair Kit or visit a Medical Operator.

Hemorrhage (aka Laceration or "Bleeding")
Take extra damage from physical attacks || Sprinting causes damage
Use Coagulating Gel or visit a Medical Operator. Trauma diminishes over time.

Third Degree Burns - Reduced maximum health
Use Dermaweb Skin Graft or visit a Medical Operator.

Blind - Impaired vision || Reduced accuracy with firearms
Effect is temporary.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
That actually explains a lot, such as why the Condition system is so incredibly under-used; it was intended to track Traumas, not just Radiation Poisoning and, like, Drunk.

The game could really, really, really have benefited from a survival system from the ground up. Not sure if tacking it on now will work, since the game doesn't operate under the assumption that it's there. These things need to be taken into account from the start.

Israfael

Arcane
Mirrors are impossible to do with deferred rendering, and 99% of modern games are using it. Hopefully DX12 will solve this at some point in the future. You can actually make the distinction at a glance - all games with functioning mirrors have distinct 'mid-2000-ies' looks and graphics (DX9) indicative of forward rendering

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Isn't it kind of depressing to see non-reflective mirrors in 2017, in a game that's supposed to be 'immersive'? I mean how hard can it be?
You need to render scene twice. That's hard. Only hard machines like EPSX can do that. For example Tales of Eternia had working mirrors.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Arkane mentioned multiple times they want to release a "survival" patch bringing back thoses features.
Isn't it the same company as released Gothic IV?

Edit: No it was Black Forest Games. But considering Dishonored 2 was denuvo ridden shit, where they screwed up with whole setting, mood, and fucked with the whole personality of Outsider. I wouldn't expect from them to release a finished game.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
http://farcrymods.freeforums.net/thread/499/disc-rifle-cut-game whaddaya know, there WAS another gun and just what was needed to make Lab Tech / Exotic have 3 guns the way Gun Smithing / Standard has 3, maybe that will make its way back in too down the line, I know I really wanted something that could hit hard at a range in one blow for decent sneak attacks (I took all the sneak attack neuromods but it's mostly the wrench that works well with them)

RoSoDude

Arcane

As usual, Honest Trailers is more well-researched and comprehensive than most reviews.

Other than no reference to Arx Fatalis...

Siel

Arcane
Patron
http://farcrymods.freeforums.net/thread/499/disc-rifle-cut-game whaddaya know, there WAS another gun and just what was needed to make Lab Tech / Exotic have 3 guns the way Gun Smithing / Standard has 3, maybe that will make its way back in too down the line, I know I really wanted something that could hit hard at a range in one blow for decent sneak attacks (I took all the sneak attack neuromods but it's mostly the wrench that works well with them)

Talking gun with good jokes that has an existential crisis and you can either destroy him, reprogram him to be a killing machine or download him into a medical operator.
No clue why they got rid of this, it would've been a highlight of the game. Hope they bring it back in a DLC at least.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ok I think I played for like 3-4 hours so far and I must say the game is surprisingly, no, suspiciously

*gasps*

fun.

I'm fully expecting it to kick me in the face and become shit any moment now.

I lost my will to play for now, after I got my Gloo Cannon misteriously disappear from my inventory. I'm certain I didn't put it in a recycler. After googling it seems that other people are having disappearing weapons glitch too and supposedly it happens when transfering between areas.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Mind you, this is still early impressions and odds are some of this might change as I advance and become a demigod packrat, but tldr so far:

1. Level design is GUD.
2. Cool atmosphere.
3. Enemies are dangerous and you feel vulnerable (playing on hardest difficulty).
4. Surprisingly little handholding.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, when people say that this is "the closest we ever got to a real successor to system shock 2!!!11", it isn't really that far from the truth.

But only because all attempts at it thus far have been utter shit, and it's not like there've been that many of them in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom