Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

mastroego

Arcane
fug, not this again.

Eye, sure. Are all shots through the eye tho?

Am I going to have to link half a dozen "freaking child injured by arrow in back/chest, arrow puled out and kid is fine" stories again?

No, it is not an insta-kill irl esp with armor. I get that more difficulty = better to a degree, but this was stupid aspergers shit. I can whack a guy with a sword a half dozen times, but arrows are teh deadly. :roll:

srlys, I've done this aspie argument before and since you're a requiem player, I know nothing I say is going to sway you from your "super kewl, totes realistic cuz I get instagibbed by fleas in the early game" mod, so meh.

It's not like that. Perhaps in earlier versions of Requiem?
Not all arrows insta-kill you: it depends on the archer I guess. And I've been insta-killed with other weapons too.
It's not about "being insta-killed", but about things being coherent in a way that makes your progress (which while not fast, can be HUGE) feel real and relevant.

This is what requiemtards actually believe.
I've played a lot without Requiem, and now I've played a lot with it too - despite being burned out on Skyrim's locations and dialogs, this is the most fun - by far - I've ever had with the game.
I don't have to convince you to play it, I've just tried to explain why the game feels more satisfying to me now.
I believe my words were clear enough.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It's not like that. Perhaps in earlier versions of Requiem?
could be. all i know is that instakills were a huge problem and the guy even built in some sort of auto-reload feature because of it - which was hilarious because at times it would get into a loop of an instakill spell or arrow deaths if it had autosaved seconds before
It's not about "being insta-killed", but about things being coherent in a way that makes your progress (which while not fast, can be HUGE) feel real and relevant.
yeah, but there has to be a balance. and sadly, the turd thhat skyrim is just doesn't lend itself to that.

I went over it in detail a few years back but:

1. requiem screws up story progression.

a questline can go from level 15 to level 50+ too quickly and lead the player to be stuck at a quest point.

This wouldn't be a problem if the game's quest progression was daggerfall or morrowind style, but it's all very urgent, "go save the world now" stuff, where putting a hold on a questline while you go level up for 10+ hours feels VERY unnatural.

2. (the version I played) turns the game into a grind.

can't beat a boss/zombie/group of mudcrabs? gotta grind. grinds aren't fun to begin with, but this ties into the point about quest progression - ie, it doesn't feel natural to go grind

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimrequiem/comments/4l6ap9/i_cant_kill_a_mudcrab/
I can't kill a mudcrab
I heard about this mod, it sounded good. I attacked a mudcrab and it killed me in 2 hits. I barely did any damage whatsoever. I have full steel armor (AS as vigilant of stendarr) and I still haven't been at 100% health since starting.

Mudcrabs are no joke. They are little tanks and those massive claws have a long reach. The small ones should be no issue, but don't mess with the large ones. Oh, and I swear they will follow you across the entire map once you piss them off!

I'd seek out some of the smaller bandit camps. Ones with no more than 2 or 3 bandits. Wolves are OK if you are the grinding type.
:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:

3. requiem lacks consistency

as I said, Requiem's author is clearly on "the spectrum" as they say. The mod maker has his own rules for the game to follow and they have no bearing on reality or lore. The very fact that he said in his original description that he intended to make it an experience like Baldur's Gate - which is, frankly, not possible - was my first clue that he had a somewhat warped concept of the mod and maybe reality too.

For example:

Arrows being lethal? Sure. Makes sense. But you know that not all arrows were armor piercing, right? Even leather armor could sto---

Nope. He doesn't. All arrows are armor piercing hell-bullets in his mind.

But if arrows are super lethal, sword blows should be too, right?

Nah. Especially not if they are yours. You want to survive level 1-10 without grinding, better pick up a bow, nigga - aka the ultimate weapon of destruction.

So who is more powerful? A dragon or a dragon priest? A dragon, right?

Nope. You can still beat dragons pretty easily all things considered - though it is *far* more grindy as they have major health/armor bloat. The dragon priests are far stronger than the dragons. (again, going off previous experience).

4. Ultimately, none of it matters.

That's right, at the end of the day, you still become the unkillable jack of all trades you are in vanilla - it just took you 50+ hours longer to get there. Personally, I never got to this point, but this is what other players have conceded and YT vids I've seen seem to prove this.

I'm sure there were other things I hated about the mod, but those are just the ones that come to mind.

Again, a game with Skyrim's story/quest progression would benefit from a more Gothic-like combat system. Focus on making it the best action RPG it can be.

Last edited by a moderator:

jungl

Augur
Its not really grindy. you grow in power faster then vanilla skyrim unless if the first thing you do in vanilla is abuse smithing to 100. At 50 in a skill you can potentially kill everything besides dragon priests and and some other real tough fuckers. Honestly the only people that complain about requiem are those that suck ass as skyrims baby combat even after investing 100 hours in it.

you can potentially kill everything besides dragon priests and and some other real tough fuckers.
"you can kill everything, except some things..."

*instakills jungl with level 1 arrow of butthurt requiem fanboy slaying*

git gud :M

mastroego

Arcane
could be. all i know is that instakills were a huge problem and the guy even built in some sort of auto-reload feature because of it - which was hilarious because at times it would get into a loop of an instakill spell or arrow deaths if it had autosaved seconds before

yeah, but there has to be a balance. and sadly, the turd thhat skyrim is just doesn't lend itself to that.
I've only played with 1.9.4 and, while the arrow thing is noticeable at times, I wouldn't have noticed, probably, if not for all the fuss I've heard about it before.
As I said, yes, you can be "one-shot" but you're just as often "one-hit" too.
Still, as soon as I grasped the "realist" take of the mod, I've just learned to stay clear of blatant dangers and/or mobs of armed foes (common sense, in the real world).
So the problem basically went away.

1. requiem screws up story progression.

a questline can go from level 15 to level 50+ too quickly and lead the player to be stuck at a quest point.

This wouldn't be a problem if the game's quest progression was daggerfall or morrowind style, but it's all very urgent, "go save the world now" stuff
Well ok, that's a vanilla issue though. No mod fixes it to my knowledge.
I just use my imagination. It could be "relative urgency". Like for instance, Delphine could actually be telling you "meet me in 3 weeks", and so on.

2. (the version I played) turns the game into a grind.

can't beat a boss/zombie/group of mudcrabs? gotta grind. grinds aren't fun to begin with, but this ties into the point about quest progression - ie, it doesn't feel natural to go grind

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimrequiem/comments/4l6ap9/i_cant_kill_a_mudcrab/
True to a point.
You CAN grind, or you can face those enemies when you have the right equipment and experience for it.
At the game's start you're literally a nobody and you should avoid heroics of all kind.
Go hunting, learn alchemy, make errands and use trainers to get a few levels. Wouldn't you prepare yourself a bit before deciding to go adventuring all of a sudden?
Yes, this still is grinding, of sorts. But I like that using trainers doesn't feel like cheating anymore: it's just something else you would do to survive and endure. A legitimate "tactic".
Also it pays off when you get more powerful later. You know what "regular guys" can do (you were there yourself!), and how YOU elevated yourself from that "condition".
Incidentally, the BIG mudcrabs would actually be considered fearsome, incredible monsters if you'd meet one in real life.
The small ones can be killed just fine.

3. requiem lacks consistency
I don't really know enough about the lore to comment on that.
Still, I think you have "old info" on bows. Enemies kill me all the time with swords, maces, spells OR bows.
Also, Heavy Armor practically stops arrow damage. You need several perks to inflict damage with a bow through heavy armor.

4. Ultimately, none of it matters.

That's right, at the end of the day, you still become the unkillable jack of all trades you are in vanilla - it just took you 50+ hours longer to get there. Personally, I never got to this point, but this is what other players have conceded and YT vids I've seen seem to prove this.
Perhaps true to a point, but it could be said about entire genres of games.
For instance, 4x strategy games.
At some point, you might actually get too powerful.
Ultimately, it's the journey that matters, and whether or not you extract fun out of it.

Before Requiem I tried several mod combinations, it was a constant struggle.
I had a deleveler too, and it seemed fine. Still, the author hand-picked some places to allow the player to start the Main Quest immediately, and so on.
In retrospect, I understand those little exceptions were enough to kill the effect: I could still take on Daugr early. I could still face Dwemer machines and not be "awed" or terrified by them.

Not anymore with Requiem.
If I enter a Dwemer ruin now, it's because I have the tools to have a surviving chance. The rest of the world better avoid them (as it mostly has, for ages).
I have now (not quite) legendary gear. I have the Marked for Death shout, to take down those incredible mecha-armors. I have the Healing Shout. I have the (requiemized) White Phial.
I have a combination of skills, gear, and experience that's sort of unique for the whole Skyrim region: who else could even dream of entering (and surviving) one of these places? I certainly couldn't, 37 levels (and many adventures) ago.

Last edited:

I just use my imagination.
:prosper:
as soon as I grasped the "realist" take of the mod, I've just learned to stay clear of blatant dangers and/or mobs of armed foes (common sense, in the real world).
since, as i said before, we're just going to go around in tldr circles over this, I'll just pull out this point because it amuses me.

when I finally had enough of the mod, the straw that broke the camel's back was when I was being chased by a sabertooth(?) that could oneshot me.

a messenger in plain clothing happened to walk by.

he pulled out a cheap little dagger and one-shotted the sabertooth.

muh realism.

I uninstalled and played with SKyRe (much better) until I could stand no more of Skyrim.

Since Requiem butthurt is being discussed and 1.9.5 isn't coming out in this kalpa, a reminder that anyone using it should download the script extender bugfix pack. It fixes some physics and animation things, and an hilarious engine bug regarding enemy perks.

Is Requiem "too" hardcore? No, but there's an engine bug that makes it look so, unless you deal with it!

Hi guys and gals,

Behind the scenes we're busy discussing what tweaks need to happen now and what things will become features of Requiem 2.0. We might actually get around to writing something for it some day! In the meantime we're laughing at your attempts to upset our fan base and our dev team, enjoying your videos, helping more and more people install the mod, and... finding bugs.

Update, 1st July 2016

meh321, the author of the well known Crash fixes, has released a new mod named Bug Fixes, which solves the bug detailed in this blog post. So instead of troubling yourself with multiple reloads every time, you should check out his new work!

One that has finally been revealed is confirmed to be a bit of a killer, so we've got some workarounds for you:

When you load a saved game, some perk effects may be applied twice on nearby actors, making them too powerful. This is a engine problem and affects the vanilla game too, but given Requiem's emphasis on perks and their great potency, particular in the magic department, this issue becomes much more severe than in the base game.

Here are a couple of videos that show how you can reproduce the bug. The first is based on an unmodded vanilla Bandit while the second is based on a Warlock using a Requiem-style modded destruction perk. (Watch these on YouTube directly to see the annotations.)

To put it plainly, when you first reload a saved game:

• high-level bandits one-shot you... more than normal...
  • mages are sometimes divinely empowered avatars of Elminster which must be killed before they can do anything
  • Irileth drops the wounded dragon within seconds (because of her hidden dragonkiller perk)
  • occasionally shades in Kilkreath Temple are nearly invincible
you get the idea.

Given the seriousness of this issue, we have decided that we will release another version of the 1.9.x series to address this issue as best as we can. Requiem 1.9.5 "Rise of the Chaos Wizards" will provide the following options to help you dealing with this problem:

• A reminder to reload your game a 2nd time. This is very safe to use and seems to be effective. To help you remember, the next release of Requiem will display a reminder message. Once you've learned to adopt this excellent habit, or if you just prefer to die painfully, you'll be able to switch the message off in the MCM.

• Hold down the Left Shift key while loading your game. Requiem will switch to an alternative reloading mechanism that effectively purges your current cell and fixes the problem. However, this causes any nearby NPCs to lose their applied magic effects, so animated zombies will turn to dust, enemy mages will have to recast their magic armor, etc. Always effective, but unfair to your enemies when used during combat.
  • Do nothing and reload your game normally. Considering that the bug only affects loaded NPCs, any saves made in safe locations such as cities are not affected by the bug.
Unfortunately, this seems to be an engine bug, so we're still looking for more effective ways to work around it. But Perfect is often the worst enemy of Good, so we're announcing this now.

Do not use Quickload or automated death reloads!

Quickloads and the automatic reload on player death (which is disabled by default in Requiem) will not work to solve this issue. A manual load from the game menu is required. You do not need to quit to the main menu.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane

Perkel

Arcane
lol Requiem outright states that main quest doesn't start at low level anymore. And Requiem is consistent. Every enemy follow class ruleset. If you get somewhere is story where there are dragons don't expect game anymore to dumb down it for you.

I mean for example Whiterun dragon battle. In vanilla it is complete joke while in Requiem it is actually hard challange assuming you won't cheese NPC companions at that time.

As for damage done to you like i said everything in case of damage can be regulated to your liking. If you think your brain damage is not to level of creator default values you can change it to how you want from literally in game menu. Hell you can even make it far easier than vanilla can even be and still get all nice things that come with Requiem.

As for mentioned mudcrab. Looks stupid but when you think about it... there is nothing stupid about it. Get a crab at this size and give your leg to bite.

lol Requiem outright states that main quest doesn't start at low level anymore.
:prosper::prosper::prosper:

It starts out the game though. unless you use a mod that changes the start (which was incompatible with requiem when I played it), it's one of the first quests you get.

Like I said, the game's writing is incompatible with Requiem, not the mod's readme. This isn't Morrowind where Cassius tells you to go adventure and strengthen yourself before taking on the main quest. Not sure what you aren't getting here.
As for damage done to you like i said everything in case of damage can be regulated to your liking. If you think your brain damage is not to level of creator default values you can change it to how you want from literally in game menu. Hell you can even make it far easier than vanilla can even be and still get all nice things that come with Requiem.
yeah, I remember something like that. or maybe it was another mod i tried alongside it. I seem to remember it still being broken somehow, but I don't recall well enough to debate it. It was 2 or more years ago and as I said, I know debate is pointless with Requiem fans.
And Requiem is consistent. Every enemy follow class ruleset.
I said that. I also said the ruleset wasn't consistent with lore or reality.

Skyrim draws out the sperg larpers, but Requiem fanboys are the spergiest of the spergs.

If anyone really wants to, they can download the mod and see for themselves. They'll probably get fed up with it, come back and have people argue with them and defend this garbage mod for a garbage game until they're blue in the face. That or love it and join defensive the circle jerk.

:dead:

Perkel

Arcane
If you install mod, don't readme and what this mod is all about then don't blame me or anyone for treating you like idiot.
Requiem point is to re-balance and refocus Skyrim and it does that.

Especially since 100% retards who have problem with requiem are complaining about damage dealt to player which i said literally many times is something you can change to your liking in less than 5 seconds in game and still get everything else Requiem provides.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Yeah. Once I found a mod called Vigor which added a poise system like Dark Souls and parrying. Was interesting and all for the first few hours but at the end of the day it was still Skyrim combat.
Isn't that the mod that adds in trauma to limbs as well? I had always hoped someone would create a high quality mod of limb damage similar to Fallout: New Vegas, as well as reintroduce the degradation system to weapons and armor that was in all previous elder scrolls titles. I've no idea why Bethesda removed that part of the game, as it was a good mechanic that added an extra layer of complexity to planning longer adventures that might eat up resources and break down weapons and armor.

If you install mod, don't readme and what this mod is all about then don't blame me or anyone for treating you like idiot.
I read the readme. As I said before, I even read the dumb shit the author wrote about Baldur's Gate and le "classic rpg experiece".

Again, since my plain english enough wasn't sufficient, maybe repetition will help: A readme doesn't suddenly fix the incompatibility with the writing in the game.

Read over my comments above since you seem to have either missed them or misunderstood them.
Especially since 100% retards who have problem with requiem are complaining about damage dealt to player which i said literally many times is something you can change to your liking in less than 5 seconds in game and still get everything else Requiem provides.
expound on that. does it let you tweak arrow damage specifically now? or do you get a choice between nerfing all damage or keeping instadeath arrows?

I do remember messing with the settings and it still being shit somehow and I think that was why it was.

Perkel

Arcane
played Reqiem like 4 years ago and it had both overall damage and arrows damage setting in mod menu. Default values were at 4x.
In in game menu you can customize shitload of things.

Again, since my plain english enough wasn't sufficient, maybe repetition will help: A readme doesn't suddenly fix the incompatibility with the writing in the game.

Set up damage then to 1x or even 2x and it will be completely ok starting main quest at low level. Or even change damage done to enemies to 4x and you will have vanilla experience basically. You will still have all amazing benefits of Requiem

lol Requiem outright states that main quest doesn't start at low level anymore.
:prosper::prosper::prosper:

It starts out the game though. unless you use a mod that changes the start (which was incompatible with requiem when I played it), it's one of the first quests you get.

Like I said, the game's writing is incompatible with Requiem, not the mod's readme. This isn't Morrowind where Cassius tells you to go adventure and strengthen yourself before taking on the main quest. Not sure what you aren't getting here.

KGv2LREm.jpg

Nigga, it's an open world game. Just ignore them. Are you sure you're not the sperg here?

Vorark

Erudite
Isn't that the mod that adds in trauma to limbs as well? I had always hoped someone would create a high quality mod of limb damage similar to Fallout: New Vegas, as well as reintroduce the degradation system to weapons and armor that was in all previous elder scrolls titles. I've no idea why Bethesda removed that part of the game, as it was a good mechanic that added an extra layer of complexity to planning longer adventures that might eat up resources and break down weapons and armor.

You mean locational damage? I think it was Deadly Combat that did it but it was buggy. Vigor has an injury system in which your character can randomly get injured (aka gets a debuff) after getting health low enough, I think. Didn't like it very much so I turned it off.

There's a mod that adds the degradation system back (Loot and Degradation?), never tried it tho.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I've tried Loot and Degredation as well as the armor and degradation mod. Loot & Degradation only degrades weapons from sharpened to normal status, and Armor & Degradation actually does add in a proper degradation system, but lacks the polish that makes the system feel fulfilling. Neither are very good systems in comparison to the systems in place during Morrowind and Oblivion unfortunately. As for Vigor, I believe that the injury system was what I was thinking of. Disappointing that it is simply a random debuff, rather than dependant on where you're struck. I'll need to look at the locational damage mod the next time I play skyrim tho, as that sounds like exactly what I want, assuming it adds in damage to those areas and a crippling mechanic. I also don't think it was deadly combat that added that, as I tried it a long time ago, tho it might have been added in with a future update. I've long since stopped using it as it seemed to be a frequent cause of crashes.

played Reqiem like 4 years ago and it had both overall damage and arrows damage setting in mod menu. Default values were at 4x.
then I have no idea what my problem with the damage customization menu was. it was 2+ years ago for a shitty mod on a shitty game I don't even have installed. All I know is that it didn't fix the issue to my satisfaction and I am in no mood to re-install just to remember why.
Set up damage then to 1x or even 2x and it will be completely ok starting main quest at low level. Or even change damage done to enemies to 4x and you will have vanilla experience basically. You will still have all amazing benefits of Requiem
the amazing benefits of a mod made by someone spergy enough to screw with the damage like that in the first place? nah, i'll pass.
Nigga, it's an open world game. Just ignore them. Are you sure you're not the sperg here?
or i could just use my imagination and pretend the readme is cassius cosades. :roll:

i think it's shit. you're gonna have to live with that somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
>still butthurt 2 years later
>"you're gonna have to live with that somehow :smug:"

muh narrative

(on the positive side, that loading bug mentioned above might have been the reason you died so much. You can forgive Requiem now and accept it as your lord)

As for Vigor, I believe that the injury system was what I was thinking of. Disappointing that it is simply a random debuff, rather than dependant on where you're struck. I'll need to look at the locational damage mod the next time I play skyrim tho, as that sounds like exactly what I want, assuming it adds in damage to those areas and a crippling mechanic.

Wildcat has a random wounding mechanic too. It might be better this way since the game wasn't designed for locational damage and struggles with it, script lag in more intense fights can make the hits feel inconsistent. Also, it gives the player even more incentive to just become a stealth archer and shoot everything in the back of the head for 50x damage.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Its pretty clear that requiem is neither lore friendly nor an interesting challenge, you fucks grasping at straws to defend it is as amusing as always tho.
"But bro, im getting oneshotted! its so much fun." "But bro, all the arrows hit you straight in the eye, therefore they should do that much damage!".

Well, that's just your incorrect opinion, which you have a right to. I just wonder why someone would complain that they can ignore a hard quest and find something else to do in the meantime (why are you playing an open world game?), especially after installing a big mod that explicitly tells you that the main quest is harder so the dungeon that starts it is harder. That's some bethesda.net shit right there I says

Perkel

Arcane
the amazing benefits of a mod made by someone spergy enough to screw with the damage like that in the first place? nah, i'll pass.

I guess you don't even know what Requiem brings beside 4x default damage. You probably downloaded mod once without checking readme played 5 minutes, got killed by mudcrab and you switched off mod.

>Bijin Wives.esp

tumblr_inline_oploaqWyFL1s13yij_500.jpg

FIY, the author of Immersive Citizens is kind of batshit crazy (even for a modder) and uncooperative so I'm tempted to blame that too since you're using ETaC. Consider staying with Requiem's AI changes or use something else like Organic Factions (suggested in the thread, didn't use it myself)

Well, here's an idea for your next character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stxtq1YWfbQ

My illusionist assasin's back story: Name: The Pimp of Cyrodiil Race: Imperial Skills: Illusion, sneak He was a pimp back in Cyrodiil who likes to watch women taking a shower, and slapping their ass as they walk past by. However, he would always get caught and get slapped. He then heard of illusion magic, and thought that it is perfect for his pimping needs: bending bitches to his will to get them to bed, getting them to slap each other's tits (using Fury), and invisibility, his most important tool. Invisibility is perfect for him, as invisibility will prevent him from being caught while watching women, and could slap their ass and easily not get caught. He mastered illusion magic and went from women to women slapping their ass. Life couldn't get any better for him. Until one day, he saw a HOT High elf woman wearing black robes. Without any delay, he casts his invisibility spell, sneaks up to her, and slapped her as really really hard. So hard, that the sound can be heard kilometres away. As his invisibility spell wears off, he tries to run away and prepares to cast the invisibility spell again, but unfortunately, he trips on a shovel, and got caught by the High Elf woman. The High Elf turned out to be Elenwen, the First Emissary of the Thalmor. Enraged, the Thalmor got him captured and was sent to Skyrim to be executed. "Awh shit", the Pimp thought. Fast forward to the execution, as his head is ready to get chopped off, a black dragon out of nowhere comes. He then runs for his life, and soon discovers that he is Dragonborn. At this time, he knows that his pimping days are over.

He will be using his talents in Illusion magic to aid him in his journey and quests as Dragonborn.

------------------------------

PS: This is the shittiest story ever, but I was bored, and this is his story..

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom