Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #68: The Toy and Voluminous Codex stretch goals added in new patch

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Eric Daily; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

inXile have released what may be the final update for Torment: Tides of Numenera, which adds two stretch goals from the Kickstarter campaign back into the game, as promised back in March - the companion Oom (AKA The Toy) and the Voluminous Codex lore encyclopedia. It also includes numerous other features and improvements, notably two additional Tiers to allow character advancement in the late game. The new Kickstarter update has the details, including a description of Oom:

Highlights
  • New Companion: Oom. Oom is a new stretch goal character who you will discover on your journey through the Ninth World. Oom features its own companion quest, "Servant of the Tides", its own unique abilities for use in combat and exploration, and interactions with various characters throughout the game.
  • Added the Voluminous Codex. This new stretch goal feature unlocks lore and character entries as you explore the game world.
  • Added a new user interface element to the Inventory Screen which makes it easier to view companion attitudes toward the Last Castoff.
  • Added a new user interface element to the Common Panel which better messages the Last Castoff's current Legacy.
  • Players can now advance to Tier 5 and Tier 6, allowing players to spend their Experience Points more in the later game. This also allows the Last Castoff to gain abilities from other character types.
  • Various balance improvements to Crisis gameplay throughout the game.
  • Various balance improvements to exploration gameplay, especially in the later stages of the game.
  • Added zoom in/out key binding to the Options Menu. This allows players without mouse wheels to remap the zoom functions.
  • Cypher Sickness initialization is now delayed until after Equipment initialization. This should prevent issues where loading a save file where equipment was preventing a cypher explosion would cause input to freeze up (fix may not be retroactive).
  • Remove all non-gameplay Fettles from companions when they're removed from the party. This should prevent certain freezes from occurring.
  • Numerous small UI fixes.
  • Numerous small quest fixes.
This update is now out on Steam, and we’ll be getting it to GOG and other stores as soon as possible. Our strong recommendation is to start a brand-new playthrough to experience these improvements, as the new content is best experienced from the start of the game (and Oom must be added to the party during Sagus Cliffs).

Of course, those of you who have chosen to play Torment on consoles won’t be left out - this update will be coming free to you in the near future as well!

We hope you enjoy Oom and the new features, and we’ll be keeping an eye out for your feedback. In the meantime, we thought we’d give you a bit of insight into the Oom’s creation...

Oom - The Toy

Early during the Kickstarter campaign for Torment, we introduced Oom to you as "The Toy", a new stretch goal companion by design lead Adam Heine and Brian Mitsoda (Dead State, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines). While this companion didn't make it into the initial release of the game, we're bringing it back in our latest update.

Back when we pitched the idea of Oom, it was described as:

The Toy is a changing ball of goo: Is it a pet, an abandoned toy, a dangerous weapon? Whatever it is, it responds to the way you treat it by changing its appearance and abilities to reflect what it perceives as your desires. Its ultimate secrets are... well, you’ll have to find out.

Now that we've received the opportunity to complete Oom, we went back to these ideas, as well as much of the original writing by Brian Mitsoda. We wanted to make sure that Oom was true to the vision proposed early on... but of course, as many of those ideas were thought up prior to us knowing Torment's final game mechanics and storyline, we also wanted to make sure that Oom would integrate well into the game as it is today.

Here is senior writer Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's take on Oom:

Oom is a living artifact from a prior world, and extraordinarily loyal to you. A shape-changer and guardian, it is somehow connected to the Tides, and it grants the Last Castoff a deeper connection to them.

It is also a mystery to be solved. Oom does not speak, and even its thoughts are a strange tangle of alien metaphors. It will drive you to increase your understanding of the Tides, and by doing so, you will learn secrets about its long, long past...

Oom is unlike any of the other companions in Torment. For one, Oom is – to use a technical term – a blob of goop, a piece of the numenera left over from a past civilization that has faded into the darkness of history.

If you discover Oom during your game, then it may become a member of your party. Just like the other Torment companions, it has its own quest and storyline you will uncover throughout the game, it can assist you with challenges and in Crisis gameplay, and it will react to the world around you and the characters you meet.
https://twitter.com/Inxile_Ent/status/850403339070316545
But Oom is different from other companions in more ways than just looks. For starters, Oom's abilities are entirely unique to it, and are designed to be distinctly versatile. Oom's basic attack allows it to splorch (to use another technical term) at enemies, damaging them with gooey globs of itself which can inflict multiple special effects. Its other abilities center around helping its allies. For instance, Oom can coat another member of your party with goop, bestowing improved protection and other benefits. Oom is also great with consumable items and cyphers, as any it uses have their benefits apply to not just Oom, but the Last Castoff as well.

We also suggested as part of the initial "Toy" design that Oom would learn from your actions and change to match, and now we have taken that idea one step farther. Oom is a loyal guardian who flows with the Tides, and your Tidal alignment will allow you to not only shape Oom's appearance, but will also allow you to alter its abilities. Over the course of the game, and as the Last Castoff grows more experienced in using the Tides, you will influence Oom's play-style. To see the details, you’ll have to play the new content for yourself!​

I guess this is the closest Torment will get to having a Director's Cut. If you've been putting your playthrough off, your wait is probably over. Full patch notes are available here.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
cd3d323ff484324701bfd02c0efdb392_original.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm still going to wait at least a few more months. I haven't even touched the other thing I started almost two months ago.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Who gives a shit anymore?

I thought I'd give it another go when they release this patch, but I stopped caring in the meantime. And really, how much could that balloon and the bulging codex improve it?
Doubt this is gonna make anyone switch sides.

Meh.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Might be too early to tell, but so far this patch hasn't done much to increase concurrent players even with the sale. If it doesn't improve in the next few days, yeah, RIP.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know it's stupid, but somehow I only visualized Oom as a jumpy green slime and I found this one a bit lackluster.

Anyway, still about a year more before I play the game

Might be too early to tell, but so far this patch hasn't done much to increase concurrent players even with the sale. If it doesn't improve in the next few days, yeah, RIP.

This game is not going to get with 1 single patch a new sudden influx of new buyers. Imho, the only way for Inxile to recover the investment, is patching a lot through 1 or 2 years, adding the missing content, changing a bit the combat, maybe a dlc and then releasing a "complete" edition.

They can turn the reviews of steam if they appease their backers and turn to profit slowly with news on gaming sites about every new update, some discounts and go on.

But if someone thinks that just releasing oom is going to give them 10.000 extra sales overnight, well, not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Imho, the only way for Inxile to recover the investment, is patching a lot through 1 or 2 years, adding the missing content, changing a bit the combat, maybe a dlc and then releasing a "complete" edition.

That might get a few more sales, but most people won't give a shit even if they fixed all the problems due to initial bad reception overwhelming any new opinions. T:ToN is dead in the water.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think they could do themselves a favor by adding some indication of dialog options you cannot access, eg. [lore] Requirement not met. Then people would see right away that there is much more to the game and many different ways to proceed.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I think they could do themselves a favor by adding some indication of dialog options you cannot access, eg. [lore] Requirement not met. Then people would see right away that there is much more to the game and many different ways to proceed.
This was already implemented in the game at the launch. It looks like a greyed-out option that you can't click due to not meeting a requirement, such as Tidal surge of X level. But as far as I know there are few things like that. I'm not sure if "Scan thoughts" shows up as a greyed-out option if you don't have the skill, or just doesn't show at all.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I guess this is the closest Torment will get to having a Director's Cut. If you've been putting your playthrough off, your wait is probably over. Full patch notes are available here.

A Director's cut is probably the only way to reinvigorate interest in this game. Even then odds are against it.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess this is the closest Torment will get to having a Director's Cut. If you've been putting your playthrough off, your wait is probably over.

If I recall correctly, they wanted to put the missing content in first but they still wanted to rework the crises so I doubt that this is the final significant update, at least not according to their plans.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Marketing, I guess?

Actually I'm surprised they didn't call this the DC. But maybe they're not as scummy as to call a really not that big patch a DC and this close to the original release.

Or they do intend to release one at some point.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Do you get to retcon missed stretch goals as a "content update"?!? Is that a thing now?

Only way I would give this game another try is if they added new location hubs and made major strides in reactivity for the endgame.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Pfft, they're not missed stretch goals, they're conscious decisions for a better game.
At this point they're pretty much doing you favors, it's your fault if it doesn't turn out well since you asked them to depart from their vision.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A Director's cut is probably the only way to reinvigorate interest in this game. Even then odds are against it.

How is this not a director's cut? They added content and rebalanced some stuff.

Mostly in the sense that it isn't marketed as one.

But the big thing is that there needs to be a combat-centric piece of side content. You get a lot of power in the end game but never really get to feel your potential.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom