Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
First impression: A stun gun/taser that has to be charged for 5 seconds before shooting has to be the most counter-intuitive stun gun/taser in the history of firearms/personal defence measures.

My immershun is thoroughly ruined.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It just works. :hearnoevil:

RE: Last part of the game
Imagine on Hard difficulty going around doing some sidequests here and there with 3/6 skill trees fully maxed out, every single weapon maxed out, 30 medkits, a dozen or so suit repair kits, having 300 health, no single enemy formation being lethal in any way or whatsoever, and having completely lost your will to explore anything to the point where you're just running past everything trying to get the main story over with.
not again, Arkane

I did like the ending though

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
So looks like the game is of a decent length for an FPS-hybrid judging from some of the responses to my question earlier. Good to hear. Mixed opinion on other aspects. PREY seems to be worth a discounted buy at least. I'm still waiting for some solid Dishonored 2 DLC (expansion level) however, which would make me happier with Arkane.

I went through the introduction today - thought it was the biggest ripoff of Half Life's I've ever seen, even if some bits were clever. Got bored and just drove extra early to work.

When a videogame makes you want to go to work earlier, something's wrong.

Sentinel

Arcane
Just played through it.

Pretty mundane Arkane Studios garbage. It's okay, that's it. Mimics were pretty cool enemies though, wish the others had been as creative as those little buggers.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Developer: I made that black irrelevant character with forgetful writing an ethiopian jew. I feel so brave.

When you talk with her and she just say "Talk to me for fetch quest, player." kind of generic talk, I feel so emotive with this dialog that shows the ethiopian jew culture. The gaming industry is breaking new grounds.

It is like you go exploring a whole new culture, see her black face with really shit textures that makes her skin look like oil with awful facial animation, it is the typical ethiopian jew expression.

Abou those people that hate my brave progressive inclusiveness, they can always use our steam demo, of course, assuming Steam will give their money back and someone will pay 60 dollars to demo a game.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just played through it.

Pretty mundane Arkane Studios garbage. It's okay, that's it. Mimics were pretty cool enemies though, wish the others had been as creative as those little buggers.
Now is it okay or garbage? Because these don't mean the same thing. Or does it mean that Arkane makes so good games, that even their garbage game can be considered okay.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's pretty good so far, closest thing to Shock 2 I played in a long time. Certainly more so than Bioshock(s).

I recommend it. (Bought it at Russian key thief site for $40.)

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
just finished it, all things considered I'd give it a 7/10 but I'll write my full thoughts on it once I finish my no-crafted-Neuromods/Upgrades Typhon powers run first

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
just finished it, all things considered I'd give it a 7/10 but I'll write my full thoughts on it once I finish my no-crafted-Neuromods/Upgrades Typhon powers run first

Try to get "No Needles" achievement ;)

ciox

Liturgist
Isn't it kind of depressing to see non-reflective mirrors in 2017, in a game that's supposed to be 'immersive'? I mean how hard can it be?

I thought this was especially bad given the "Morgan checks his red eye in the mirror" meme that they kept hammering on in the trailers, there's no way for you to do any of that in-game.

That said I assume they just drop reflective surfaces immediately because there's no way console hardware or weaker PCs could handle reflections anywhere outside of a broom closet, so why bother.

HansDampf

Arcane
Why are mirrors so taxing on modern engines but not on old ones?

gfs_42049_2_19.jpg

deus_ex_0035_statue_gunther_in_mirror.png

Ash

Arcane
Mirrors are a complete waste of fucking time in a First Person game. It requires every player action be animated in third person, as well as first. Every. Single. Action. Reloads for each weapon, leaning, jumping, crouching, walking, running, crouch-walking, picking objects up, throwing objects, taking damage, idle anims, aiming anims, talking anims...just no.

Edit: the reason Deus Ex feasibly could have mirrors is because the game is reskin-heavy. JC and Paul Denton are the same character model, for instance. Since Paul needs third person anims, JC may as well have them too. Yet plenty unique player anims needed to be made solely to accommodate mirrors regardless, such as leaning, and it's still incomplete. Waste of time that should have been spent on animating first person stuff, such as holding medkits, fire extinguishers and such. They're higher priority. And they will be addressed in the next version of true incline named GMDX.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Pretty sure that's a common myth. In Duke 3D it was just a window rendering a separate camera perspective, much like when you interacted with the TV monitors that showed security camera's panning perspective. And it is also notable in that it is devoid of Nukem third person anims (no shoot, weapon swap, throw pipe bomb, frob etc), but nobody cared because games were about gameplay back then and we were used to missing visual detail. With ultra realistic visuals of today it'd just stand out and break immersion.

But hey, gaming in 1996 was so much better than today so sure, games should have mirrors. Why not. I wish we could go back to the old ways of gameplay > all.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Still it is interesting that Looking Glass tech was made in such a good way but mirrors are just really bad textures.

Ash

Arcane
There's not any mirrors in a single Looking Glass game. Unless you include Deus Ex as a Looking Glass game which would be somewhat reasonable, but still not technically true.

Hmm, maybe you don't mean Looking Glass Studios, but "Looking Glass" as in mirrors. Not sure what you mean by "just really bad textures" either.

Last edited:
Mirrors are a complete waste of fucking time in a First Person game.

You can't possibly be serious when referring to a mainstream production in 2017 bankrolled by Bethesda. If immersion is a selling point, creating a bunch of third person animations shouldn't be prohibitive, especially if you've got buckets of cash.

I mean, there's even full body awareness in Prey (feet are modeled etc.). You can't coopt this laziness.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Mirrors are a complete waste of fucking time in a First Person game.

You can't possibly be serious when referring to a mainstream production in 2017 bankrolled by Bethesda. If immersion is a selling point, creating a bunch of third person animations shouldn't be prohibitive, especially if you've got buckets of cash.

I mean, there's even full body awareness in Prey (feet are modeled etc.). You can't coopt this laziness.

You're totally retarded if you think a bunch of animations is no big deal. Animation is what costs the most in video game development. Not to mention in a game like Prey where you can turn into fucking toilet paper.

Ash

Arcane
It's as low priority as it gets. Complain about things that matter, like dumbed down gameplay or no existence of a Arx Fatalis 2.

:negative:

Look, it's obviously not a deal breaker for me and it was just an off-hand remark - but it's pretty disappointing nonetheless.

I do think the amount of white knighting in this thread is hilarious, though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I also hate not having mirrors but yes, it's a complete waste of time and money. That or they would look shitty. I don't think it's a good decision to spend 50% of the animation budget on having mirrors. This only makes sense to include if you want to have multiplayer coop or deathmatch modes.

And I hate Arkane/Bethesda in general, but be rational here.
That said, the used "mirror" texture looks like fucking shit.

I also hate not having mirrors but yes, it's a complete waste of time and money. That or they would look shitty. I don't think it's a good decision to spend 50% of the animation budget on having mirrors. This only makes sense to include if you want to have multiplayer coop or deathmatch modes.

And I hate Arkane/Bethesda in general, but be rational here.
That said, the used "mirror" texture looks like fucking shit.

They might look shitty if not all the animations are properly replicated in third person, but would it really look worse than the shit-smear shader they use now?

Also, having a couple of proper working mirrors in bathrooms is quite different from plastering every level with them. I think people are grossly overstating the problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom