Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Surge - "sci-fi Dark Souls" from Lords of the Fallen devs

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FromSoft lore isn't my cup of jizz but it's legit. I actually admire it, it's unique, well crafted and it does add a sense of mystery that complements other aspects of the game. But I'm not super hot about it, reading voraciously every desription, filling in the gaps and such. Plus it can be retardedly obtuse at places. BB lore is the pinnacle of FromSoft narration, a genuine masterpiece for those who enjoy this sort of thing.

Surge world isn't even worth talking about, it's just one of an endless sea of drab mediocrity, the "meh, good enough" approach of people who either can't produce a better result or don't care to. Compared to FromSoft it's like a hamburger to a serving of oysters with lemon juice, cayenne pepper and butter bread. I can hate oysters but I can't deny it's something special and delicate.

Last edited:

ricolikesrice

Arcane
hey guys, i ve also watched 2 hours of some youtuber streaming the surge and am therefore already an expert on its lore, combat and level design - ask away if you have any question on just how shit compared to Dark Souls this game is and we can circlejerk together.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hurrga durrga you've only seen the first half of The Force Awakens and you already know it's utter shit without watching it to the end, such arrogance, much presumption! :outrage:

bataille

Arcane
So, I've played for 4 hours with a lot of breaks, almost finished the second area, created the first set of sentinel armour (scarab) and found the first 'greatsword' (which acts the exact same way as the greathammer except for the 'whoosh' sound).
I won't say anything about its aesthetics, it's a personal matter, I'll say, however, about the visual overload. The amount of details on the screen at any given time gave me the mother of all headaches and I found myself blocking out all the intricate shadows, lighting, super hi-res textures while exploring levels just not to faint. That alone makes me unsure if I can continue playing later.
On the more esoteric note, I didn't notice any kind of ambiance or atmosphere, it was pretty sterile. The first area was kind of cool, with someone's comments on the walls concerning the qualities of the spilt toxic waste and whatnot, the second one was an endless maze of corridors, elevators, boxes, turrets and railings.
Enemies were menacing at first as well, with erratic and somewhat unpredictable behaviour. A few hours later I was just zooming in on their weapons and adjusting my tactics accordingly (the way they act depends entirely on their weapon); they became just obstacles.

I don't want to be overly negative, but I just couldn't find anything to hold onto. Nothing really to talk about, no big picture. A slippery little game.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Dunno what people are smoking, but this is way worse than Lords of the Fallen.

The first 15 minutes of LotF had more story, customization options, equipment variety, interesting enemies, good level design, secrets and memorable bosses than anything I saw in 3 hours playing The Surge. Armor is basically useless, as there's almost no difference between light and heavy armor - you usually die in 2-3 hits anyway. The targeting & slicing thing is interesting at first, but the system behind it is entirely based on grinding. And all the optional challenges, detailed item lore and magical gems were removed.

All there's to see here is the unusual sci-fi setting and the targeting mechanic. Once the novelty wears off, you just have a bland Souls clone.

Arnust

Savant
I'm liking it. A lot. Unless it fucks up super bad later, I'd be worth it. Just did the second boss.

It's the Wasteland 2 situation. People are taking it as a sequel and judging it a ssuch, ignoring the changes to the formula and being just as good if not better at times.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Dark Souls has great combat and level design. Any action RPG would benefit from incorporating Dark Souls-type of combat. Even if you reduce the difficulty the game will still be more fun and challenging than 95% games out there.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For you that have watched streams or played it, is there much body horror? I watched a review and intro looked interesting.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
For you that have watched streams or played it, is there much body horror? I watched a review and intro looked interesting.
There's more like transformers horror. If you're expectin something like that movie VIRUS, there's not much if any of that.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Could have been some serious horror too:
7c6a59fea292cf11f1be299f4360bad5.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oh wow, turns out the game only has FIVE bosses!

Da fuck is this shit, Lords of the Fallen had nine, and that was already a downgrade from the 23 bosses in Dark Souls 1. How are people even defending this?

Lhynn

Arcane
Heard its Dark Souls with better combat and worse everything else, tho i dont see it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The bossfights all look p. bad. They seem entirely designed just to be hard and not fun to fight. Terrible hitboxes too.

Murk

Arcane
Been hearing complaints about bosses. Watching random streams, the animations look like a retarded orangutan is running/swinging around.

Also, bloom-lens-flare-whatever-it's-called.

edit: heh, last boss is some smelter-robot-butthole monster.

Last edited:

Chamezero

everyone loved the stray demon and bed of chaos from dark souls and the generic humanoid number 53616 boss fights from dark souls 2 so here is a game with all fights similar to those!!!

Chamezero

final boss: "leave us alone! FUCK YOU! You hear me!"

shit man this is some advanced mature stuff not like those kiddie racist japanese toys damn if only this game had ethiopian jews like other rpgcodex approved masterpieces what a shame

PrettyDeadman

everyone loved the stray demon and bed of chaos from dark souls and the generic humanoid number 53616 boss fights from dark souls 2 so here is a game with all fights similar to those!!!
It's true what souls have a lot of shitty bosses (99% of them are shit), but what do you expect from people who can't even do a proper mouse/keyboard support on pc?

Last edited by a moderator:

PrettyDeadman

lol better combat.
It's is indeed a lot better. Dark Souls combat consists of walking backwards and pressing one button once (or spamming that R1 if you have a longsword). Animations looks shit, the combat themselves mechanics are shit. They improved it in Bloodborne, but later returned to that retarded formula in Dark Souls 3.

Surge to Dark Souls in terms of combat is what Bayonetta to Skyrim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom