Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Whirligig saw is a very fun weapon to use. Made a strength build on my second playthrough and rushed to that weapon right after killing Vicar Amelia. Bosses which gave me trouble on my first playthrough are annihilated with beast-blood pellets and R1 spam. It was very satisfying to wipe out the Shadows of Yharnam before they even had a chance to transform to their second and third stages.

I rate you edgy since the Whirligig Saw has lots of edges.

shit now look what you've done now I want to play Bloodborne.

DragoFireheart

Whirligig saw is a very fun weapon to use. Made a strength build on my second playthrough and rushed to that weapon right after killing Vicar Amelia. Bosses which gave me trouble on my first playthrough are annihilated with beast-blood pellets and R1 spam. It was very satisfying to wipe out the Shadows of Yharnam before they even had a chance to transform to their second and third stages.

Do it faggit :smug:

I'm currently stuck on the Abhorrent Cocksucker Beast in Ailing Loran, fucker hits hard. On the bright side, I managed to completely own the Orphan even if I had a mini heart attack in the last few seconds when his lightning shit staggered me and I thought I died. Killed Laurence too, but I had to get lucky in that fight, fucker killed me something like 20 times before I got him. I don't know whether I should keep trying to kill the beast and finish the Chalice dungeons or just go and finish the game - I just killed Micolash - and continue the chalices in NG+.

What SL are you?

DragoFireheart

Do it faggit :smug:

I'm currently stuck on the Abhorrent Cocksucker Beast in Ailing Loran, fucker hits hard. On the bright side, I managed to completely own the Orphan even if I had a mini heart attack in the last few seconds when his lightning shit staggered me and I thought I died. Killed Laurence too, but I had to get lucky in that fight, fucker killed me something like 20 times before I got him. I don't know whether I should keep trying to kill the beast and finish the Chalice dungeons or just go and finish the game - I just killed Micolash - and continue the chalices in NG+.

What SL are you?

120SL, I'm just playing like shit. :(

If you like, I could help.

I go by the same username. What pw do you want to use?

Ivan

Arcane
is it just me or is there a SUPER LARGER version of the old man beast? I remember there being a normal sized one and a ridiculously huge one too (chalice dungeon).

sullynathan

Arcane
is it just me or is there a SUPER LARGER version of the old man beast? I remember there being a normal sized one and a ridiculously huge one too (chalice dungeon).
That's the abhorrent beast. it's the same across the base game and chalice dungeons.

It's actually one of the more challenging bosses because of its delayed attacks

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Doing a new play with a Skill / Bloodtinge build (as nearly all my characters tend to be). I'm using the Reiterpallasch with this char and it is a great weapon. Good move set, good damage and the transformed gun is actually quite powerful, maybe even more powerful than an unbuffed Evelyn. The unique thing about the Reiter, I noticed, is that you can use Fire / Bolt Paper to buff it, despite it being a Phys / Blood weapon, as none of the other weapons that have split damage can be buffed. I think the elem buffs also affect the gun damage but I've yet to test that out. Yeah, highly recommend this weapon. It's a lot of fun to use. All the Skill / Bloodtinge weapons are pretty amazing.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Doing a new play with a Skill / Bloodtinge build (as nearly all my characters tend to be). I'm using the Reiterpallasch with this char and it is a great weapon. Good move set, good damage and the transformed gun is actually quite powerful, maybe even more powerful than an unbuffed Evelyn. The unique thing about the Reiter, I noticed, is that you can use Fire / Bolt Paper to buff it, despite it being a Phys / Blood weapon, as none of the other weapons that have split damage can be buffed. I think the elem buffs also affect the gun damage but I've yet to test that out. Yeah, highly recommend this weapon. It's a lot of fun to use. All the Skill / Bloodtinge weapons are pretty amazing.

Skill/Blood is what I'm thinking of doing next. I kind of regret investing in strength now since I like skill weapons better. How would such a build look? Go with 25 skill and and pump Blood up to 50, or would the other way around work better? Of course in the idea not to go to a very high level.

Depends on the skill weapon. Reiterpallasch melee damage scales off Skill and the gun scales off Bloodtinge. Same with Simon's Bowblade, though I suppose you'd want to go heavy into Bloodtinge if you plan on using the bow. If you wanna use something like Chikage or Bloodletter then going deeper into Bloodtinge is probably more beneficial. Simply put, you should try both styles.

DragoFireheart

Prey slaughtered. I killed the fucker. An eagle screeched and a single, manly tear formed in the corner of my eye. It is done.

I've been on call so I apologize for not assisting you in this glorious kill.
A hunter is never alone, even if his bros are with him in spirit. :) Anyway, if you, or some other bro ever wants to get down with some PvP or Co-Op, just call. Right not I'm having fun PvP-ing in Mensis, fuck assholes who start popping blood vials like fucking M&Ms though. Oh and assholes who just stab you in the back the second you spawn

I have a arcane squid guy. I could anime-tentacle sex anything you don't like. Or anything that would like it...

:mhd:

Silva

Arcane
Got a similar build right now. At first I stopped at 50/25 (blt/skl) but decided to also get Str to 28, so I could use the Powder Kegs big weapons. Now I'm on a Djura cosplay with Rifle Spear/Stake Driver + Gatling/Repeater. Its been underwhelming so far though. Cainhurst cosplay (Reiterpallasch/Chikage + Evellyn) is more effective.

*Edit*: Oh and watch out this nice maneuver with the Reiterpallasch: While the enemy is far from you, deliver a stab in the air and immediately follow with a L1/transform-attack. Chances are, the enemy will think you miscalculated and come in for a counter, then will take a shot to the face. Also works for the Rifle-Spear.

Had a bunch of parries in PvP with this maneuver. Hehehe

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
That's it. Im convinced that from NG forward enemies get new moves and attacks. I've NEVER seen Ludwig throw a fucking continuous blue wave of magic from its sword until now, and I've finished the game and DLC half a dozen times. Only recently I opted going through NG and I've been noticing some weird new moves from bosses here and there. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've never bothered much with NG+, there aren't any differences beyond tougher enemies and even then the early game is extremely easy unless you're doing a low level run, so I usually lose interest. If they threw in a few features like different enemy placement, tougher enemies showing up earlier, key items in different places etc. then it might be worth it. It's more fun and challenging to just roll a new character.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've never bothered much with NG+, there aren't any differences beyond tougher enemies

Unfortunately Miyazaki, as brilliant as he is, apparently hates the idea of NG+ being fun. He strictly requires it to be as drab as humanly possible, as evidenced by the difference in NG+ quality between his games (DeS, DS1, BB and DS3) and not his (DS2).

Gentle Player

Arcane
Gentle Player , if you like the Whirlgig Saw, try holding L2 in it's transformed mode. ;)
Walked up to Rom's side at the start of the fight and held L2 down - half of his health bar vanished before he was even able to teleport and summon spiders.

That's it. Im convinced that from NG forward enemies get new moves and attacks. I've NEVER seen Ludwig throw a fucking continuous blue wave of magic from its sword until now, and I've finished the game and DLC half a dozen times. Only recently I opted going through NG and I've been noticing some weird new moves from bosses here and there. Anyone else notice this?
Happened to me on my second try at him in NG, with my first character. It's probably connected to how far you're standing away from him. Damn thing killed me.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well I'm about to try getting into Bloodborne again. I've made maybe 5 or 6 characters but never got very far into it. Possibly because I bought the chinese version because it had the old hunters DLC right on it, and the X and O buttons are switched on it so it feels off going from any of the other Souls games I own then putting Bloodborne in. It just never clicked with me though. I never had a preferred weapon or play-style, and since I usually ignored parries in previous games because I didn't like the risk I never got invested in the guns here. I'll give it another shot and hopefully find what I can enjoy about it.

Silva

Arcane
Congrats, D_X. Yharnam is really on the easy side, though I found her cool anyway with all that blood magic. If this was your first playtrough I recommend starting over with a completely different build. Arcane and Bloodtinge are particularly interesting. As is a beast boy with that rune that changes you into a werewolf. Also, try to stay on level 100-150, as PvP mostly happen on this range.

Then later, when you find a build you really like, I recommend going tomb prospecting on root chalices for the best runes, gems and lost weapons.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Any recommendations on how to start a playthrough so that eventually it would be a Bloodtinge or an Arcane build ? I just can't figure out a fun way to start the game which would not be Strength or Skill based, but I just haven't really cracked this game, it seems, despite finishing it twice. So , I'd appreciate any pointers!

Silva

Arcane
Well I'm about to try getting into Bloodborne again. I've made maybe 5 or 6 characters but never got very far into it. Possibly because I bought the chinese version because it had the old hunters DLC right on it, and the X and O buttons are switched on it so it feels off going from any of the other Souls games I own then putting Bloodborne in. It just never clicked with me though. I never had a preferred weapon or play-style, and since I usually ignored parries in previous games because I didn't like the risk I never got invested in the guns here. I'll give it another shot and hopefully find what I can enjoy about it.
The swap in O and X sounds nothing to worry about. Now try playing without the default attack like I did in DS1 (because my controller R1 was broken) and you will see.

The secret to Bloodborne is letting go you Dark Souls instincts. My first pkaythrough was full of ruin because I kept on the defensive like in Souls games. After I learned to parry and grow courage to dodge through attacks instead of backwards, the game got much better.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The swap in O and X sounds nothing to worry about. Now try playing without the default attack like I did in DS1 (because my controller R1 was broken) and you will see.

The secret to Bloodborne is letting go you Dark Souls instincts. My first pkaythrough was full of ruin because I kept on the defensive like in Souls games. After I learned to parry and grow courage to dodge through attacks instead of backwards, the game got much better.

Yeah, the rally mechanic looks likes its intended to encourage aggressive playstyles.
I tried playing Dark Souls like how bloodborne looked. You know, mobility, no blocking, two handing all the way.
Didn't feel right at all. Console exclusives are bitch.
Goddammit Sony.

Silva

Arcane
Any recommendations on how to start a playthrough so that eventually it would be a Bloodtinge or an Arcane build ? I just can't figure out a fun way to start the game which would not be Strength or Skill based, but I just haven't really cracked this game, it seems, despite finishing it twice. So , I'd appreciate any pointers!
Just pump Vit as much as you can in the beginning. If you don't care much for minmax get the highest Vit char at creation (Lone Survivor?). Don't worry about other stats, at this point the bulk of weapon damage is due to upgrades and gems anyway. Get a serrated weapon (Saw cleaver or spear), hold fire papers and you're done for the first half of the game. Then start pumping your main stat (Arc/Bld) and go for the good weapons/tools for it. For Bld, Chikage is mandatory so open Cainhurst asap. For Arc, Executioner Gloves and elemental gems are - convert your best weapons to fire and bolt and you're done.

Because of diminishing returns on stat bonuses, it's usually better to hybridize your main stat with a secondary one, around 50/25. If you opt for this, increase your second stat together with Vit in the short/middle game. Ie: If you wanna do a Cainhurst cosplay, raise some Skl and use weapons like the Cane, Rifle Spear or Reiterpallasch until your Bld is good enough for the Chikage. Resist the temptation to go full Skl/Str though, or you will waste your build (you wanted a Bld or Arc build, remember? )

That's it. Just don't go over level 150 so I can kick you butt in PvP. :D

Oh, one note for Arc: certain spell progressions get crazy good from 50-99 Arc. So if you end up enjoying this build, it may be worth to crash the roof of blood level 150.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DS1 and DS2 were too defensive. It's their only combat flaw. You could smash your way through both games, one or two-shotting most bosses with a good medium shield. Playing with a shield was so trivial it wasn't even funny.

But maybe Bloodborne is going too far, always forcing you to gogogogogo. I think DS2 DLCs stroke a perfect balance - shield is still useful but some enemies hit too hard or too fast or they kick to guard break you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom