Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Battle Brothers

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
As moving as these sentiments are, isn't it possible that posting on a forum is actually the meaninglessly decadent behavior of a nihilist, rather than meaningful behavior of someone who thinks it matters? :)

Nihilists don’t invest their energy trying to convince other people on the internet. I think people here have this inferiority complex about their hobby because it is a niche segment. This is so idiotic because it tries to determine the relevance of something by how many noses are involved. Guess what, retards. Modern society is a complex machine built on small niches.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Well, LK has a point, though, and a pretty serious one: if you grow nihilistic about one thing it slides down into everything else until you just suck the life out life itself. I don't know about the question of relevance per se, as that is a step above in social complexity because it brings in existing and often opposing interactions, but the question of value is largely in the eye of the beholder and the beholder alone. It's one of the more inconsiderate ways to try and defang someone's passions by implying the meaningless of it. This is especially in poor taste if you do it in regards to something more serious, like death or injury. Oh you broke your back and are in awful pain? Well just think that in the grand scheme of things that stabbing feeling in your spine doesn't even matter, lul. In 100 years we will all be dirt, so then what? Do we just not give a shit about anything? And more egregious is the implication that some people don't know that. I fucking know a bunch of nothing is coming, but I still work on the things I want to work on. It's the nature of creation to stand tall, however finitely, in the face of absolute oblivion that makes creation so inspiring.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I don't know about the question of relevance per se

People like Blaine have this fallacious belief that what is relevant is what most people deem to be relevant. The criteria is nose counting. If it so happens that you have the misfortune of enjoying niche or nerd stuff, that’s worthless and you should hide this from normal people, because they will laugh at you and they know what is normal and good. I don’t know if I despise or pity people that think like that. It must be exhausting having to live a double life and hiding the things you like from other people because you are a wishy-washy without personality.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm infamous among developers at Bioware, Obsidian, inXile, and Larian.

After all, who was it who crushed Fargo's initial marketing plans for Torment? :cool:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Infinitron is right and Blaine is wrong, at least on this specific point. When the Codex takes the time to reduce its fevered genius into a form other than memes and politics, it tends to have some impact. Aside from what I observed first hand, there's of course the widespread discussion of Roxor's article on RPG writing. Maybe the answer is that Roxor is the Codexian Mouth of Sauron and the rest of you should just stick to cranking open and shut the Black Gate for him.

lol who do you think you are?
He's good for what he is.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Wildly disingenuous if I read the ignore list correctly. He had you on ignore long before this review came out I believe. Nor are there any telltale replies to anything you said, unless it was already quoted by someone else (which would mean he could see what you wrote even with you on ignore).
hey, how am i supposed to know how butthurt he is over this? for all i know, he blocked everyone after me on his ignore list today. i'm not such a spaz that i spend so much time thinking about these things, analyzing the thread and looking for "telltale" replies. saw an ignore. lol'd at it. get a life, dude.

Nostaljaded

Savant
We get it, you are butthurt because you didn't get a JA2 with crossbows. r00fles! :roll:
n8ZhlIG.png

AIMNAS, rifle animations though.

Please carry on with BB.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Infinitron is right and Blaine is wrong, at least on this specific point. When the Codex takes the time to reduce its fevered genius into a form other than memes and politics, it tends to have some impact. Aside from what I observed first hand, there's of course the widespread discussion of Roxor's article on RPG writing. Maybe the answer is that Roxor is the Codexian Mouth of Sauron and the rest of you should just stick to cranking open and shut the Black Gate for him.

You and Infinitron are long on telling me that I'm wrong and citing unspecified and/or vague reasons thereof, but awfully short on actually substantiating any of your arguments.

Take "it tends to have some impact," for example. How much of an impact are we talking about, and upon whom or what? Where can the ramifications of this impactfulness actually be observed? I specified "materially relevant," emphasis on the "materially."

Christian soccer moms bitching about titties have had far more impact on the computer games industry than the Codex ever has. Why's that? Well, primarily because they actually buy a shitload of video games for their demonspawn. The Codex on the other hand is filled with dole-scroungers, NEETs, and potatoes who beg for games and proudly announce that they refuse to buy any game for more than $10.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You and Infinitron are long on telling me that I'm wrong and citing unspecified and/or vague reasons thereof, but awfully short on actually substantiating any of your arguments.
I was part of the TTON team when the PoE review came out.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sizzle

Arcane
The only creatures more bizarre that cRPG players that hate character building are self-hating cRPG players that love to dismiss their own passion. By that super-logic, nothing is relevant, Blaine.

There's a fine line (which you just can't see, because everything has to be completely one way or the other with you) between "relevant to a certain number of developers (mostly indie, sometimes middle-sized such as Obsidian and Larian), and a small percentage of like-minded RPG fans", and completely irrelevant.

Underrail? Just a stupid game. Obsidian? Completely irrelevant? Who is relevant by that absurd standards? Bethesda?

Yes, if we're talking about any standards which make sense - Bethesda is a heck of a lot more relevant than Obsidian. How many times do you see young, naive, aspiring developers talking about having plans to produce their own Skyrim one day? Now, how often do those same fellows talk about creating another Alpha Protocol?

It's the same exact thing as the argument I made above this one - their games are relevant (and thus - influential, and thus - will be attempted to be recreated, at least in part) on a much larger scale than those of Obsidian. And that's just the way things go, and must be accepted.

I hope more games in the vein of Age of Decadence and Underrail get produced, but expecting them to perform and sell like the newest Elder Scrolls game is idiotic. It's also one of the reasons why T:ToN failed as spectacularly as it did - they grossly overestimated their market.

Of course, you can dismiss the whole fucking world with this retarded nihilism. Olympic Games? Big fucking deal. Bunch of faggots training like mad for years in order to win a medal, a fucking piece of symbolic metal. High art, science and technology? Who cares!

You must realize that the basis of core identity for most people here isn't "I play ArhPeeGeez", it's just a fun pastime. You strike me as a vegan equivalent of an RPG player - you spend most of your time convincing family, friends (if you have any, that is), and everyone else you meet about the importance of AoD, and why you've made it your life's work to spread the word of the prophet Vince online.

A billion years from now the earth will be burn to a crisp and that’s the end of civilization.

Ah, I see you subscribe to the Numenera school of thought :D

This sort of teenager nihilism may make you feel awesome in the internet, because you don’t have to justify anything, you just attack, but it’s a decadent pathological invulnerability. And it’s hypocritical too because you don’t really believe in a word of it. If you really did, you wouldn't waste your time arguing about this stuff, defending games with arguments or posting on this forum.

That sort of attempt at deep introspection works both ways - do you, Lurker King, feel awesome and relevant because you post on a forum? Do you believe you're making a difference in doing so? If so, then that's an equally big (maybe even bigger) psychological problem.

If you really think that this stuff has no relevance, act accordingly.

The only thing here that lacks relevance are your posts, but it's oh so fun to pick them apart :lol:

Kuattro

Augur
This topic is far more active than topic about actual game.

Because everyone donned their bascinet, their cuir bouilli (sorry, "reinforced mail hauberk") and their greatsword and moved over here to defend the honour, or the infamy (but we do not speak about those scoundrels) of Battle Brothers.

We all should join the fray. There's legendary loot for the winner.

Or it's possible I've been playing this for far too long.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This topic is far more active than topic about actual game.

Because everyone donned their bascinet, their cuir bouilli (sorry, "reinforced mail hauberk") and their greatsword and moved over here to defend the honour, or the infamy (but we do not speak about those scoundrels) of Battle Brothers.

We all should join the fray. There's legendary loot for the winner.

Or it's possible I've been playing this for far too long.
Maybe, your expectation of worthy loot is odd though.

almondblight

Arcane
This sort of teenager nihilism may make you feel awesome in the internet, because you don’t have to justify anything, you just attack, but it’s a decadent pathological invulnerability. And it’s hypocritical too because you don’t really believe in a word of it. If you really did, you wouldn't waste your time arguing about this stuff, defending games with arguments or posting on this forum. If you really think that this stuff has no relevance, act accordingly.

That's a good point. No one wastes hours arguing about irrelevant shit on the internet.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

lol who do you think you are?

MRY is actually my alt

Quatlo

Arcane
I absolutely loved the game for the first ~25 hours, unfortunately after that you probably saw all the concent and start thinking in min-maxing categories and end up with ridiculously op band of unhittable dudes, so the only counter the game has is to throw more and more shit at you. Fighting against 40 goblins was probably the closest thing I've felt to genital mutilation in my life, jesus fuck. The only interesting item variety comes from artifcts, which are super rare and even if you get them they usually get some shitty boring bonus.

Imo game needs much more reactivity, item variety and most importantly I think enemies should be much more personalised, just like your dudes, generic bandit thug/raider/leader makes them really boring enemies despite the weapon variety, the whole emergent gameplay element.

Great potential, needs expansion stat!

tindrli

Arcane
I absolutely loved the game for the first ~25 hours, unfortunately after that you probably saw all the concent and start thinking in min-maxing categories and end up with ridiculously op band of unhittable dudes, so the only counter the game has is to throw more and more shit at you. Fighting against 40 goblins was probably the closest thing I've felt to genital mutilation in my life, jesus fuck. The only interesting item variety comes from artifcts, which are super rare and even if you get them they usually get some shitty boring bonus.

Imo game needs much more reactivity, item variety and most importantly I think enemies should be much more personalised, just like your dudes, generic bandit thug/raider/leader makes them really boring enemies despite the weapon variety, the whole emergent gameplay element.

Great potential, needs expansion stat!

the fact is that this game have tones of possibilities to expand and expand well

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What would you change or add in an update/dlc cycle to make it worthwhile?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom