Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Ash

Arcane
"I did not say that"

Ah OK. My bad.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So for those who have finished the game: how long did the game take you to play through the first time and what is your play style?

If you rush then it will take around 20 hours. Do yourself a favor and go blind. Choose Nightmare difficulty and do all the side-quests.
If by choosing nightmare, you mean extending the game time by 10 hours due to having to reload the game after death. Sure.

ciox

Liturgist
Is that supposed to prove he's good? 'Cause it's not doing him any favours.
Also wasn't that the track that was composed by Raphael Colantonio?
That track is done by someone named Matt Piersall.

I think the soundtrack is great; the problem is that the music and ambience varies wildly and abruptly starts/stop at many places, with great variance in volume. The crossover from one tune to the next is usually anything but smooth, and you can go from moody to blaring in an instant.

The issue isn't the soundtrack itself or that it doesn't fit the game, but the way it's been incorporated into the game. I think that Prey is overall very well-polished, but this is something someone really dropped the ball on.

Love the soundtrack, but transitions need to be smoother and when transitions happen need to be reviewed.

This is true, but I still hate the combat music, especially since the older one was a lot less annoying, I remember checking through the extracted game files but the old combat music was definitely gone. Maybe we can make this a thing and get Arkane to throw in the old combat music as an option.

Old music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ndRGP5bMs&t=28m40s

darthaegis

Cipher
So for those who have finished the game: how long did the game take you to play through the first time and what is your play style?
Since I was a bit too liberal with my ammo I started running away from everything some hours before the end, which shortened my playthrough. I did most quests, though one was bugged and barred me from completion, and explored most areas (except a lot of the exterior and another zero-g area.) Total 18.5 hours.

darthaegis

Cipher
:what:

Please tell me this dogshit doesn't actually play during game..
The first is played as your alarm clock in the beginning of the game for about 5 seconds and then in the credits. I don't think I've heard the second one in-game, though I did skip the credits so it might play later in that scene.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The "Mind Game" plays during the helicopter ride to the office, although not the full tune, obviously, and "Semi-Sacred Geometry" one never plays like that; only the "female" version that also features in an in-narrative fashion in the game plays during the credits.

I could be wrong, but I sat through the credits and I don't remember hearing the "original" male recording that is part of the soundtrack.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Mind games is only heard as your alarm clock and in the credits. The song in helicopter ride is "Everything is going to be ok".
Sacred geometry is played in the Sho quest in the Yellow Tulip and in the credits. Both are female version. The male version is not in the game.

duke nukem

Augur
Even Jim Sterling thinks this is just ok game, not good game. And i agree..its average at best and if Jim fucking Sterling thinks that way, then its a fact and makes any other argument invalid. Even level design is average. Different paths are just illusion. You always end up walking same corridors, rooms, places, everything. Hacking is just for loot. Skills does not affect on quests at all. Why cant we unlock doors with hacking when that fat man locks them when you enter deep storage? Why cant we use repair to unlock airlocks from the outside with tinkering with some panel? Why cant we use just hacking to see rest of the video you made yourself, instead of having always go to Calvin room to restore connection? Even the Deus Ex Mankind divided does this better. Actually i dont see why anyone would get prey when you can buy that deus ex with cheaper price.
Most of this simply isn't true. The shotgun, pistol and wrench are all damage-dealers, but they all work substantially differently; the shotgun does fuckall at long range, is loud, but has huge short-range damage. The wrench is a silent melee weapon and consumes stamina when used and can be charged for huge backstabs if you have the right talents (or whatever it's called) and never uses any kind of ammo. The pistol is a silenced, accurate weapon that is brutally effective mid-range and can easily be used for taking pot-shots; when upgraded, it can (strangely) also be used effectively for sniping - especially easy if you zoom in, since you've de facto got a scope at all times.

The Q-Beam is not a simple damage-dealer, but must be used semi-exclusively to charge enemies up until they explode. It doesn't actually do any damage at all until that time, but is effective at taking out very strong single but slow opponents when fully upgraded, or taking out partially wounded strong but slow opponents earlier on. But it's extremely circumstantial and slow, especially since you often cannot kill some stronger opponents without reloading at least once (unless fully upgraded - I think that you can kill any single run-of-the-mill opponent with a single Q-Beam magazine, if the weapon is fully upgraded, but it's still slow and if they get away you just wasted all your ammo, while real damage lasts "forever" and does not decay on it's own).

If you're using the pistol for taking out cystoids instead of using the Huntress Boltcaster, you're quite literally fucking retarded, wasting ammo, and if there's too many too fast for taking out with the Huntress, already attacking you, you use a shotgun. You would never use the pistol for this unless you're dumber than a sack of bricks.

Also, both the pistol (as mentioned) and the Q-Beam are effective at long ranges, as is the Huntress.

Finally, the stun-gun is effective not only against humans and robots; it is effective against almost all opponents except the Nightmare (partially) and the Voltaic Phantoms (completely immune). It is a waste to try to use it against Mimics, because you can just wrench them to death or freeze them with GLOO instead of trying to hit the bastards with the stun-gun, likely wasting resources, but the stun-gun is tremendously effective against (non-Voltaic) Phantoms, Poltergeists, all Operators, Telephats, and especially Technopaths.

If you haven't discovered any of this by yourself, even though the game pretty much straight-up tells you half of these things, then you're just more of the mouthbreathers that this game is wasted on. I would've wanted to see more options too - I especially lament the lack of a laser rifle and/or laser-pistol (especially since these weapons feature in the game) as well as the lack of flame-weapons (jury-rigged flamer comes to mind, or makeshift incendiary grenades), especially since multiple enemies are susceptible to fire damage, but again, credit where credit is due; the weapons that are in the game are all substantially different and diverse in usage and application. To claim otherwise only marks you as a r e t a r d.
Silence is useless in this game as other enemies almost always have sight at you. Q-beam is bad against strong enemies, because Shotgun does same thing but faster. Even technopaths are most easiest with shotgun and one null grenade in space or inside station. For some reason it says it has emp weakness, but it does not do anything against it. Also what point is using stun gun to stun, when you can knockdown(or stun) with your close range shotgun blast? That way you save stun gun ammo and can sell some of them to craft more shotgun ammo.

Only enemy q-is worth is when there is several mimics nearby and when you kill one it might kill rest of them. For some reason that does not work against those exploding meat balls. Pistol is still best way to deal those, one bullet and one meatball dead or with good luck it causes chain reaction and kills rest of them. Using crossbow saves some ammo, but i am too lazy to press 0 button to change it. Its not like you are running ammo anyways.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/142474135
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...re_explains_why_diverse_characters_matter.php
According to Prey lead designer Ricardo Bare, when it came to making the sci-fi shooter they wanted to create characters that felt real, each with their own unique perspective on the world.

Honing in on Sarah Elazar, the chief of security aboard Prey's infected space station, Bare said the decision to make her an Ethiopian Jew was borne out of a desire to learn about someone different to himself, and give players the chance to do the same.

Not only did it ensure Prey didn't feature a roster of cookie-cutter NPCs, it also gave players someone real to connect with. A virtual counterpart with their own personal views, history, and beliefs.

"As a game developer and a writer, it's just interesting to learn about people that aren't like myself and do the best that I can to put those kinds of people in the game. As a gamer, I'm interested to go to places that I've never been and interact with people that I might not normally interact with," says Bare.

"Sure, it probably only matters for people who notice those things. And there's a surface level read on things where you're just like, 'okay she's a security chief who's asking me to mow down aliens. Got it. I'm just blazing through the game and having fun with the mechanics.'

"But then, if you're the kind of player who really likes to investigate those things then it may actually inform the choices you make. Because a lot of the times in the game we present the player with some choices around what to do about these characters that you meet. So I think learning about them absolutely informs the choice you make. Especially if as designers we do a good enough job of humanizing them."
:incloosive:

Chamezero

maybe he should have focused in designing a game that isn't a mediocre copy of a mediocre copy of a decent game

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Come to think of it, Prey does have a lot of asian characters at the very least. And then there's the Ethiopian Jew thing. Avellone further confirmed to be a social justice cultist?

FYI I'd be interested in publishing a Codex review of this game

I'm sure Roxor will be happy to oblige you. I'd have to play it at least once more to write a proper review, and I'm not up for that in the near future at least.

dloading as we speak :avatard:

Be sure to play on Nightmare, or else you become packrat god way too easily.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even Jim Sterling thinks this is just ok game, not good game.
Jim Sterling has good insights about the game industry, and I like it when he is outspoken about them, but when he is speaking about games he is just as a hopeless idiot as other game journalists.

He kept referencing System Shock in his review, but I would be very surprised if he even played it.

Paul_cz

Arcane
41 hours, completionist (did every sidemission, read all emails etc, but did not find all crew members). Missed at least 2 sidemission though that I saw Chris Odd play.

I love the soundtrack BTW. It creates very unusual atmosphere since this is not the kind of music I would normally expect for game like this. The "pop" songs only play when appropriate (one only during credits, the other in a place where it fits).

Regarding the inclooosivity, the only time it popped out at me was when I was sleuthing around the office romance of two female crew members, but it did not feel forced to me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
oQgDPg.jpg

don't mention it :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom