Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Battle Brothers

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't played the game yet, and won't before it hits GOG, but the review already hits some of the same marks I had thought of it. I don't doubt the game is fun (at first), but already at first glances it looks like it does get old and repetitive relatively fast (if not all the way to uninstalling, at least to such lengths that extensive breaks are taken often after the initial flare). So, a GOG sale it is with this one if it ever gets there.

Murk

Arcane
game is p gud but not great; looking forward to more; worth the price; has good art and great music

hivemind

I haven't played the game yet, and won't before it hits GOG, but the review already hits some of the same marks I had thought of it. I don't doubt the game is fun (at first), but already at first glances it looks like it does get old and repetitive relatively fast (if not all the way to uninstalling, at least to such lengths that extensive breaks are taken often after the initial flare). So, a GOG sale it is with this one if it ever gets there.
no.
shut the fuck up
you owe the devs a buy because the game is an RPG

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The price point (27€) seems quite high for what the game has to offer. Early on I was a bit excited for BB but unfortunately the game never progressed much further from being a combat tech demo. I think the left side vs right side brawl nature of the combat maps hurts the game the most for me.

tindrli

Arcane
The @Darth Roxor bro is right about everything.. still i loved the damn thing and i played shit of it and still he is completely right

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think all future posts in this thread should be accompanied by one of these:

abtfam.jpg
no sale = :keepmyjewgold:. Game is priced for german audience.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
How about this: I've been told, by somebody in the position to know, that Roxor's PoE review was widely read and acknowledged at Obsidian and elsewhere.

You don't have to leave.

Somebody in the position to know, eh? "Elsewhere," you say?

Josh Sawyer was shown the PoE portrait of him that I commissioned Jaceface to paint by the goons at Something Awful, where it made the rounds. Obsidian almost certainly showed it around the office too, and the meaning of the imagery is pretty clear.

My intended message spread through virtue of Jaceface's talent, but here's the reality: At the end of the day, no one cares. Obsidian's own relevance to the larger industry is marginal to begin with. Keep in mind that this is a studio whose most successful titles are based on and/or subordinate to other companies' IPs. The staff may well have read Roxor's review and thought "He made some good points," and then they probably went to lunch at Quizno's and forgot about it because we, as a target audience, don't really matter.

The "fan murals" I created in Photoshop for Underrail's release were posted by Styg on the game's website. No one really gives a damn about that either, nor should they. We're specialized hobbyists here having our little fun.

The Codex does occasionally blip radars outside of our little bubble, yes. This doesn't really translate into actual relevance, though.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Infinitron is right and Blaine is wrong, at least on this specific point. When the Codex takes the time to reduce its fevered genius into a form other than memes and politics, it tends to have some impact. Aside from what I observed first hand, there's of course the widespread discussion of Roxor's article on RPG writing. Maybe the answer is that Roxor is the Codexian Mouth of Sauron and the rest of you should just stick to cranking open and shut the Black Gate for him.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
If anything, irrespective of the validity of any review, most in any relevant circle in the industry would see negative value in mentioning the codex at all, unless to bring levity, establish rapport as all parties in earshot can have a chuckle over the absurdity of the place.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Infinitron is right and Blaine is wrong, at least on this specific point. When the Codex takes the time to reduce its fevered genius into a form other than memes and politics, it tends to have some impact. Aside from what I observed first hand, there's of course the widespread discussion of Roxor's article on RPG writing. Maybe the answer is that Roxor is the Codexian Mouth of Sauron and the rest of you should just stick to cranking open and shut the Black Gate for him.

lol who do you think you are?

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Darth Roxor

I have to admit I struggled to read your review with equanimity. It feels like you're being brutally honest without actually telling the truth. Someone earlier pointed out that their main issue was how you worked and worked at the flaws in the game's design; and to your credit almost everything you pointed out is a genuine flaw.

But there was no similar desire to show up the game's many credits. You mention them in passing, then move straight into the next 3 paragraph rant about another flaw. Compare this to your Mordheim review, where you spent no less time ranting about its problems, but also took the time to point up and elaborate at length on its many strengths.

Full disclosure, I found this review's style to be delightful when you were criticizing PoE. I guess it's only when the shoe is on the other foot that I find it infuriating :M

At any rate, brofist to the initial review for being good (if infuriating) reading.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Somebody in the position to know, eh? "Elsewhere," you say?

Josh Sawyer was shown the PoE portrait of him that I commissioned Jaceface to paint by the goons at Something Awful, where it made the rounds. Obsidian almost certainly showed it around the office too, and the meaning of the imagery is pretty clear.

My intended message spread through virtue of Jaceface's talent, but here's the reality: At the end of the day, no one cares. Obsidian's own relevance to the larger industry is marginal to begin with. Keep in mind that this is a studio whose most successful titles are based on and/or subordinate to other companies' IPs. The staff may well have read Roxor's review and thought "He made some good points," and then they probably went to lunch at Quizno's and forgot about it because we, as a target audience, don't really matter.

The "fan murals" I created in Photoshop for Underrail's release were posted by Styg on the game's website. No one really gives a damn about that either, nor should they. We're specialized hobbyists here having our little fun.

The Codex does occasionally blip radars outside of our little bubble, yes. This doesn't really translate into actual relevance, though.

*Sigh*

The only creatures more bizarre that cRPG players that hate character building are self-hating cRPG players that love to dismiss their own passion. By that super-logic, nothing is relevant, Blaine. Underrail? Just a stupid game. Obsidian? Completely irrelevant? Who is relevant by that absurd standards? Bethesda? Of course, you can dismiss the whole fucking world with this retarded nihilism. Olympic Games? Big fucking deal. Bunch of faggots training like mad for years in order to win a medal, a fucking piece of symbolic metal. High art, science and technology? Who cares! A billion years from now the earth will be burn to a crisp and that’s the end of civilization. This sort of teenager nihilism may make you feel awesome in the internet, because you don’t have to justify anything, you just attack, but it’s a decadent pathological invulnerability. And it’s hypocritical too because you don’t really believe in a word of it. If you really did, you wouldn't waste your time arguing about this stuff, defending games with arguments or posting on this forum. If you really think that this stuff has no relevance, act accordingly.

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, now haba is ignoring me. butthurt continues to flow. news at 11 :M

Wildly disingenuous if I read the ignore list correctly. He had you on ignore long before this review came out I believe. Nor are there any telltale replies to anything you said, unless it was already quoted by someone else (which would mean he could see what you wrote even with you on ignore).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
And it’s hypocritical too because you don’t really believe in a word of it. If you really did, you won’t waste your time arguing about this stuff, defending games with arguments in posting on this forum. If you really think that this stuff has no relevance, act accordingly.
As moving as these sentiments are, isn't it possible that posting on a forum is actually the meaninglessly decadent behavior of a nihilist, rather than meaningful behavior of someone who thinks it matters? :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom